• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simple Living and Higher Thinking

I-Ching

Aspiring to Transcendence
What about brain-tumors, schizophrenia, chronic heart disease, bone marrow damage, etc., how can Ayurveda cure this?
Many of these diseases are caused by our unnatural lifestyle especially meat-eating. Ayurveda would treat the disease at the root before it manifests in such a gross form.

Who decides who is intelligent enough to teach, strong enough to protect, or wealthy enough to protect?
Who decides who is nothing of that and has to do labour work?
That is decided by the priestly class. These priests are not just religious scholars but more like wizards. The whole systems depends on the purity of this class, if they are proper representatives of God then they can guide the other classes. It is not that people are forced; different people have different talents and are naturally inclined to work in that way.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think you underestimate the power of Vedic knowledge. Ayurveda was curing people of smallpox in 1500 BCE check on WikiWiki. I personally cured myself of chronic disease that i suffered with for 8 years with Ayurveda and the I-Ching.
That's nice, however...

An inoculation isn't a cure, it's meant to prevent infection... and your source points out it was endemic for the next 2000 years (until modern medicine wiped it out)... so it was hardly prevented.

In any case my points remain. Technology is best used holistically with a combination of modern and more traditional methods. It's pure denialism that we can support a population of 6 or more billion with pre-industrial technology.

wa:do

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
That is decided by the priestly class. These priests are not just religious scholars but more like wizards. The whole systems depends on the purity of this class, if they are proper representatives of God then they can guide the other classes. It is not that people are forced; different people have different talents and are naturally inclined to work in that way.
Your system relies on people not acting in their self-interest. It is therefore, IMO, flawed.

I-Ching

Your system relies on people not acting in their self-interest. It is therefore, IMO, flawed.

I don't think you understand what is the self? Our Self interest is to serve God. Just like it is in the self interest of the hand to serve the stomach. The theist experiences a non-material enjoyment in serving God.

I-Ching

That's nice, however...

An inoculation isn't a cure, it's meant to prevent infection... and your source points out it was endemic for the next 2000 years (until modern medicine wiped it out)... so it was hardly prevented.
Good point I didn't thoroughly read the paragraph. But the Vedic version of history is that Vedic culture began to decline 5000 years ago, so at 1500BC it was already well declined.

In any case my points remain. Technology is best used holistically with a combination of modern and more traditional methods. It's pure denialism that we can support a population of 6 or more billion with pre-industrial technology.
It will be very difficult to be self-sufficient if you still depend on technology. Technology requires money which pulls you into the whole system. Besides industry will fall apart when the oil runs out. Perhaps there could be a transitional phase.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Good point I didn't thoroughly read the paragraph. But the Vedic version of history is that Vedic culture began to decline 5000 years ago, so at 1500BC it was already well declined.
Then their level of technology and sophistication didn't really make them more resilient than anyone else.

It will be very difficult to be self-sufficient if you still depend on technology. Technology requires money which pulls you into the whole system. Besides industry will fall apart when the oil runs out. Perhaps there could be a transitional phase.
We have depended on technology since the stone age.... we have never been truly self sufficient, we have always relied on trade with others for materials and knowledge. Money is one of humanities oldest technologies.

Industry will never fall apart, it may well change, but it has changed a lot over the past few hundred years. Industry has been with us since we started to live in villages. Industries are weaning themselves off oil and adopting more and more renewable energy sources.

I-Ching

Then their level of technology and sophistication didn't really make them more resilient than anyone else.
Well 3.8 million years wasn't a bad run.

We have depended on technology since the stone age.... we have never been truly self sufficient, we have always relied on trade with others for materials and knowledge. Money is one of humanities oldest technologies.

Industry will never fall apart, it may well change, but it has changed a lot over the past few hundred years. Industry has been with us since we started to live in villages. Industries are weaning themselves off oil and adopting more and more renewable energy sources.
I'm referring to sophisticated technology that requires electricity and oil. Which requires large factories to manufacture.

Why is that small farms have collapsed because they can't compete in a modern economy. In order to compete with factory farms you need to be as sophisticated as they are plus they have economies of scale. Self-sufficiency is the only sustainable model.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'm referring to sophisticated technology that requires electricity and oil. Which requires large factories to manufacture.
Electricity can be sourced from many things like solar, hydro and wind.

Oil isn't the only answer, it was just the low hanging fruit.

Why is that small farms have collapsed because they can't compete in a modern economy. In order to compete with factory farms you need to be as sophisticated as they are plus they have economies of scale. Self-sufficiency is the only sustainable model.
Small farms are doing better than ever in my area. They use modern technology to establish community support and awareness.
I personally live within ten miles of more than a dozen small farms that produce everything from meat, milk and eggs to fruits and vegetables to wool, wood and maple sugar.
I never have to eat anything that comes from outside my own small state... even if I want to dine out at a restaurant there are options that are local produce driven.

Small farms die from lack of local support and trying to play the commodities game. If you want to save local farms, join and encourage CSA's.

If I want exotic things like citrus fruit and coffee Technology has granted me several sustainable options like fair trade, shade or forest grown coffee and closed system aquaculture.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I'm suggesting we double the population all I am saying is there is enough. When human beings worship God then nature will supply her resources in abundance. Nature is being controlled by higher beings.
If these higher beings didn't make so much desert we wouldn't be having this conversation. We would need awesome technology to feed the masses in a world that isn't fit to live in most parts of the earth. Technology is the only reason why humans can live in the most desolate of areas and technology is the only thing that can improve those desolate areas without rain miraculously feeding everyones crops and pests miraculously staying away.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that human society would much happier spiritually and materially if we were to go back to living a more simple agrarian God-conscious lifestyle.

I don't think that technology has offered any significant benefit to human society. In fact it is destroying the planet.

On a more practical note I think that adopting this lifestyle is a matter of survival for human society since we are completely dependent on oil at every level and when it runs out this current society will collapse.
Well, medical technology saved my life when I was an infant, and saved it again when I was a small child. So for me, I could only have been born into a technologically advanced world because if I was born into a simple agragarian world, I would have been dead on arrival. Life expectancies aren't too high in those sorts of worlds.

So I'll pass on that.

You, however, have the option to disconnect yourself from the computer and find a place to live far from most civilization if you want to.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
I think that human society would much happier spiritually and materially if we were to go back to living a more simple agrarian God-conscious lifestyle.

Hi I-Ching!

I agree with you. We should all pray more and grow more green things.

Yeshe

:flower2:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So far it has the appearance of what the American 'hippie' was chasing in the 1960's.

Flower children and communes.
Whatever it takes to circumvent...'the system'
'Down with the establishment'

I would say yeah...if it wasn't for the serious consequences.

If you're not part of the 'system'....
what happens when you need an ambulance?
a lengthy hospital stay?
an expensive operation?

If you are comfortable with dying....
and the hardship of getting there....

There was a recent showing of people still doing such things...
in a town somewhere near Las Vegas.
They seem to be succeeding were others have failed.
Recycled everything...including water.

Still...when your body faults....it's a long way to go for help.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend I-Ching,

Thinking is the boon of the human form of life. By your definition a stone is already enlightened.
Energy can not be created or destroyed by its quality degrades due to entropy.
I am starting to grow my own food. I am using the I-Ching to revive Vedic technology.
Since no-mind/still mind is unknown to one; it cannot be explained or else every human too would have known that every form and no-forms are born enlightened.
Best Wishes to your efforts!
Love & rgds

I-Ching

So far it has the appearance of what the American 'hippie' was chasing in the 1960's.

Flower children and communes.
Whatever it takes to circumvent...'the system'
'Down with the establishment'

I would say yeah...if it wasn't for the serious consequences.

If you're not part of the 'system'....
what happens when you need an ambulance?
a lengthy hospital stay?
an expensive operation?

If you are comfortable with dying....
and the hardship of getting there....

There was a recent showing of people still doing such things...
in a town somewhere near Las Vegas.
They seem to be succeeding were others have failed.
Recycled everything...including water.

Still...when your body faults....it's a long way to go for help.

Therefore in order to be self-sufficient we need to revive ancient natural medical systems such as Ayurveda. I cured myself from a chronic disease using the I-Ching and Ayurveda. The Vedas reveal a vast amount of knowledge about the ideal way to live in this world.

I-Ching

Friend I-Ching,

Since no-mind/still mind is unknown to one; it cannot be explained or else every human too would have known that every form and no-forms are born enlightened.
Best Wishes to your efforts!
Love & rgds

"it cannot be explained" because it makes no sense, like the sounds of one hand clapping.

every form and no-forms are born enlightened? :confused: no-forms aren't born

There is a spiritual mind and spiritual emotions. How come enlightened people experience compassion, this is a symptom spiritual emotion. The enlightened person doesn't become void like a zombie. They think, feel and act on the spiritual platform.

I-Ching

If these higher beings didn't make so much desert we wouldn't be having this conversation. We would need awesome technology to feed the masses in a world that isn't fit to live in most parts of the earth. Technology is the only reason why humans can live in the most desolate of areas and technology is the only thing that can improve those desolate areas without rain miraculously feeding everyones crops and pests miraculously staying away.

Can your technology create rain? I think not. Despite all our pride we are still dependent on God.

"All living bodies subsist on food grains, which are produced from rains. Rains are produced by performance of yajña [sacrifice], and yajña is born of prescribed duties." Bhagavad-Gita 3.14

I-Ching

Well, medical technology saved my life when I was an infant, and saved it again when I was a small child. So for me, I could only have been born into a technologically advanced world because if I was born into a simple agragarian world, I would have been dead on arrival. Life expectancies aren't too high in those sorts of worlds.

So I'll pass on that.

You, however, have the option to disconnect yourself from the computer and find a place to live far from most civilization if you want to.

I think your conception of an "simple agragarian world", is to live like a primate. Vedas offer advanced knowledge on medicine and everything that human beings need to be happy in this world and the next. In a Vedic world Ayurvedic doctors would have saved you, and they wouldn't have charged you an arm and a leg to do it either. In those times the Ayurvedic doctors/priests only accepted donations for their work.

I-Ching

Electricity can be sourced from many things like solar, hydro and wind.

Oil isn't the only answer, it was just the low hanging fruit.

Small farms are doing better than ever in my area. They use modern technology to establish community support and awareness.
I personally live within ten miles of more than a dozen small farms that produce everything from meat, milk and eggs to fruits and vegetables to wool, wood and maple sugar.
I never have to eat anything that comes from outside my own small state... even if I want to dine out at a restaurant there are options that are local produce driven.

Small farms die from lack of local support and trying to play the commodities game. If you want to save local farms, join and encourage CSA's.

If I want exotic things like citrus fruit and coffee Technology has granted me several sustainable options like fair trade, shade or forest grown coffee and closed system aquaculture.

Like I said there could a transitional phase, but ultimately I don't think that this technological civilization is going to survive. That is one of the reasons why I think people should start being more agrarian in first place.
At the end of the day the point is to live simply so that we have more time to engage in self-realization.