• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sixteen Crazy But Curious Questions About Enlightened People!

Ares

from the Blood tribe
1. no only laugh
2. yes
3.I would so it wouldnt blow onto my lawn.
4. yes, but if I was enlightened and speaking I would be interrupted
5. casual
6. yes if I wanted her fone #
7. no, she would throw rocks at me, " back u hideous beast ! "
8. my domestic goddess would take care of that, Ouch ! Stop throwin rocks !
9. Habitually if possible, I could write a book on 100 ways to mask the taste of rice.
10. Jump, no I would sense their presence with the force my young apprentice
11. if your sensitive you can feel presure changes in the room provide windows are shut etc
12. If my mind stopped working I would be
13. Wtf? No, my female disciple would for me while practicing her humming bird technique
14. Them thinking it was important to me
15. Yes tho all were questions and only 3 asked specifically
16. Hmmm . . I will meditate on this my padiwan.
Obviously by my answers Im not enlightened in the common sense, but uncommon sense, perhaps

AmbiguousGuy

Maybe you could elaborate? It was not a very clarifying statement.

If you're talking to me, I mean that I don't believe in discrete, objective things in the world which are fatmen and not-fatmen. Greedyguys and not-greedyguys.

Nor do I believe there are enlightened guys and unenlightened guys.

I'm guessing that you might agree with me, but maybe not. I'm sure there are many, though, who think in terms of objectively-real things (individual humans) who are either enlightened or not-enlightened, in some sense exterior to their own personal opinion of those folks.

AmbiguousGuy

Assuming everyone's enlightened, do you think it likely an enlightened person would feel bothered if another enlightened person questioned or denied that he or she was enlightened?

Well, first I need to beg off any real understanding of what 'enlightened' might mean. You've tied it to meditation, for example, but I can't speak to that. I'll mean something like 'wise in an almost transcendent way; as egoless and as god-seeking as it is possible to be while in human form.'

With that in mind, my answer is a blunt 'No.' An enlightened person wouldn't be the least bothered by challengers. He/She is too busy bending his ear to God to care about that.

Also, assuming everyone's enlightened, do you think it likely an enlightened person would feel bothered if he or she heard someone say that a person other than him or herself [i.e. other than the enlightened person] was enlightened?

Well, I don't think enlightened people are jealous, if that's what you're asking.

I'd be bothered to hear someone call me enlightened or anyone else enlightened if it were done in a hushed tone of utter respect. But I have an issue with hero-worship. I wish more people would put their heroes aside and focus on becoming their own hero.

I'm not sure we can self-actualize if we accept others as better than ourselves.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suppose it depends on whether one is viewing "enlightenment" as an archetypal collection of traits, or as some type of state-of-mind/perspective that one realizes/achieves.

Your dichotomy seems to raise a question which, put in various ways, has been raised by several people in this thread. So I'll ask anyone who is interested in answering: Assuming you did not fancy yourself a telepath, wouldn't you be forced to puzzle out from their behavior whether or not Vanessa and Savannah loved each other? Or, is it possible you think that Vanessa's and Savannah's behavior is likely so incoherent with, or so disconnected from, their mental states, that you would be unable to more or less accurately assess their mental states (i.e. their love for each other)?

I am not trying to imply here that it is necessarily as easy to accurately assess an enlightened person's "mental states" (or way of perceiving) as it is to accurately assess a couple's love for each other. For all I know, there are a thousand reasons why it is all but impossible. But I am merely trying to point out here that, if we were able to accurately assess an enlightened person's mental states, we might naturally look to his or her behaviors. Hence, I fail to see an either/or choice between thinking of an enlightened person as, "likely to behave in x manner", and thinking of him or her as, "likely to perceive the world in y way". Instead, I think most of us are able to think of enlightened people in both ways simultaneously and chew gum.

So, I have no quibble with someone who says, "There are various practical reasons why a normally competent observer cannot accurately assess whether, say, a fondness for making demeaning remarks about others likely indicates that a person is (or is not) enlightened."

But I do have a quibble with someone who says, "In theory, a normally competent observer cannot do that."

At least, that's how I see it. Other people's mileage may vary.

By the way, Kilgore, I know all of the above is nominally addressed to you, but I think it is much more relevant to the question as raised by others.

Also, it is somewhat implied that enlightenment is a state you "achieve," as though you suddenly pass a threshhold, and from then on you are an "enlightened person."
I do not wish to imply that, but I recognize that my convention of using the phrase "enlightened person", as if there really were such a distinct state, might too easily give that impression. I tried to avoid giving that impression by speaking of the likelihood that an enlightened person's behavior would be x, rather than suggesting that it would absolutely be x. But it seems those hints have been too vague.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How would I know?

I fancy I might, if I were to come across an enlightened person, have a chance of noticing (depending on how familiar I was with the person) something subtly strange or unusual going on with him or her, but that I would most likely just think they were a very together person. Exceptionally authentic, very much true to themselves: That sort of thing. And I suspect most people would be more or less the same as me in that regard. But I could be very wrong.

challupa

Just out of curiosity, here are sixteen off-beat, crazy questions about what an enlightened person might do. Feel free to explain your answers because that might start a discussion.

:D

Sunstone, I haven't been on here for so long. Then I run across this little quiz. Should be fun!!

(1) Do you think an enlightened person would likely express contempt for people who were behaving foolishly?

Contempt. No. They may comment if they felt it could be of benefit, possibly. But it would be done consciously and not from a 'knee jerk' reaction. It would also come from a place of love and that would show in the caring and sincerity in which it was expressed. Mostly though, 'foolishly' is just another experience and they would likely accept that as the other's journey, being neither good nor bad.

(2) Does it make sense to you that an enlightened person would likely tell people he or she was enlightened?

Enlightenment is not something that can be 'told', but rather it is a perception the other person has of you. They may or may not see an enlightened person as 'enlightened' based on their preconceptions of what that really is. After all, what we are choosing to experience is always based on our level of 'awareness'. Some experiences can't be experienced from a high level of 'awareness'. They require us to be 'unaware' in order to experience them. Someone who is experiencing this life as a more 'aware' person knows this and also knows the other person is just as enlightened as they have chosen to be to experience what they want to experience this time around.

(3) If an enlightened person saw a bit of trash on the sidewalk, and was not pressed for time, would he or she likely pick it up to throw in the trash bin? What's your best guess?

Sometimes possibly.

(4) If you happened to be speaking to an enlightened person, do you think he or she would likely pay unusually close attention to what you were saying?

No, not unusually so. However, there would likely be more evidence in their responses that they were indeed listening.

(5) Would an enlightened person likely make casual or idle comparisons between one person and another?

Observations, if it was beneficial and/or they were asked to comment.

(6) Would an enlightened person likely make you feel he or she thought you were unique or special?

Not unless they felt it was something that person needed. From their perspective no one is special, but all are unique. It would then be done in a way to make the person aware of their uniqueness in the context of how it is part of the whole picture and absolutely perfect.

(7) Would an enlightened person likely be curious about you?

Yes and no. On a physical level yes, very curious. At a higher level there is more that would already be known because the experience would be similar.

(8) Would an enlightened person's home likely be clean and tidy?

Most of the time it likely would be but it's wouldn't be something they would strive for, more something that just happens. There would be no judgment about it, just a knowing of what environment feels best to them and then creating it.

(9) Do you think an enlightened person would usually or habitually eat his or her food with condiments?

Habitually, probably not. Everything would be done from a very conscious level.

(10) Would an enlightened person likely jump or start if you made a sudden noise behind him or her?

Yes physically that could happen. However, the mind would likely not 'start'.

(11) Would an enlightened person likely notice if he or she were in a large room and a door was very quietly opened at the far end of the room?

Possibly. Though not always.

(12) Would an enlightened person likely be bored?

Only momentarily then they would be aware of how amazing everything truly is and change their thoughts to reflect that. Again, a conscious awareness of how they choose to experience life.

(13) Would an enlightened person likely masturbate?

Yes, there would be no reason why they wouldn't because it would be the experience not a judgment. Life is a balance between mind, body and soul.

(14) If an enlightened person thanked you for complimenting them would they likely thank you because the compliment was important to them or because it was important to you?

It would be important to both you and the person you were complimenting. Gratitude is a powerful joy enhancer.

(15) Would an enlightened person likely be curious about the fact that only one of these questions explicitly asks the reader to make a guess?

Yes, but then they are infinitely curious by nature.

(16) Would an enlightened person likely idealize enlightened people?

No. They would recognize that all people are someone they can learn from and grow with.

Have fun! And please don't take these questions too seriously!

Fun! Don't do 'serious'. :p

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Really just re-iterating something I alluded to in my answers, but in the interests of separating an actual point from my run-of-the-mill ramble, I find the notion that enlightenment is binary in nature to be ridiculous. Put me in the right room, and I'll be the most enlightened person in the room. (Sure, it's an indictment on the rest of the room, but...) Put me in a different room and I'd be the least enlightened.

So, am I enlightened?
Without comparison to the group, or norm, I don't see how that can be determined.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
By the way, I'm under the impression that enlightened people are frequently mythologized. For instance, it seems common enough to claim for them an ability to walk on water. At least, in some cultures.

When I read things like that, I wonder what could be the meaning or purpose of saying such things? Is it as simple as the authors of those claims intend "walking on water", etc, to be taken by us as evidence that someone was enlightened? Or is there, as there is with so much myth, a poetic meaning to such claims? That is, a poetic way of describing an actual trait or attribute? Jung might have known, but I certainly don't. Do you have an opinion about it?

I do, but not so much on the authors as it is on those receiving and embracing of those writings. I'm sure that all three possibilities can be found to some extent or another. That these claims are taken as simple as super powers to be expected to be found in an enlightened person, that they're taken as poetic descriptions to the status reached mentally by an enlightened person, and that it's taken as both.

If enlightenment to some is the idea of being unattached to this world, to no longer be in need for some of it's basic restrictions which all people are bound by, then walking on water can be seen as a poetic way of describing this proposed concept of freedom. And perceiving it's poetic nature wouldn't necessitate that it has no straight forward truth to it, so like i said someone can take it to be both. To address the authors of such claims a bit more, i think the nature of those examples might be a bit indicative of what was intended by them, though certainly not in any definitive way.

Using the example you shared to address a hypothetical scenario, if a writer proposes the concept i described in the above paragraph and gives with it the example of walking on water, i'd be more inclined to assume he/she at least had both literal and poetic intentions behind the example, and possibly just literal. Reason being that the idea of the freedom proposed is more about personal change, a change made to ourselves which enables us to bypass the common reactions to certain things in life, while the example includes much more an element of actually changing the world around us outright, or bypassing it's laws.

If the writer on the other hand gave an example that addresses not feeling much or any pain to certain events, it would seem more inline with the meaning or essence of the idea proposed. As such, i'd allow more for the possibility of strict poetic intentions in that case (disregarding the fact that this state is actually achieved in reality - for the purposes of the example). Like i said though, something like this would just be a personal indicator, not in anyway a powerful one and most certainly not in anyway a definitive one.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
1) Do you think an enlightened person would likely express contempt for people who were behaving foolishly?

I have no idea but "contempt" is a harsh word so maybe that's not enlightened ?

(2) Does it make sense to you that an enlightened person would likely tell people he or she was enlightened?

Maybe.

3) If an enlightened person saw a bit of trash on the sidewalk, and was not pressed for time, would he or she likely pick it up to throw in the trash bin? What's your best guess?

I don't see why not.You don't have to be "enlightened" by the way to pick up trash.Is a garbage man "enlightened" because his chosen occupation is trash picker upper?

(4) If you happened to be speaking to an enlightened person, do you think he or she would likely pay unusually close attention to what you were saying?

Not necessarily ...they could be "inside their head" meditating or something.

(5) Would an enlightened person likely make casual or idle comparisons between one person and another?

I don't see why not.

(6) Would an enlightened person likely make you feel he or she thought you were unique or special?

I don't know..but more likely they would make me feel they were unique or special.Not everyone is "enlightened" after all.

Depends ..but in general no.

Would an enlightened person's home likely be clean and tidy?

No not likely but it could be.They could also be "anal" rather then enlightened so who knows .

Do you think an enlightened person would usually or habitually eat his or her food with condiments?

Again maybe maybe not.I wouldn't assume they would or wouldn't.

(10) Would an enlightened person likely jump or start if you made a sudden noise behind him or her?

MY OPINION ? probably....

(11) Would an enlightened person likely notice if he or she were in a large room and a door was very quietly opened at the far end of the room?

Are you kidding?Are you talking brain dead or "enlightened"?

I don't get this "likely" stuff...Bored with what?

I would think "they" enlightened ones are human so they may "likely" masturbate" if they get horny.Why wouldn't they?

(14) If an enlightened person thanked you for complimenting them would they likely thank you because the compliment was important to them or because it was important to you?

It could be one or the other or both.There is no "likely" .

(15) Would an enlightened person likely be curious about the fact that only one of these questions explicitly asks the reader to make a guess?

Every one of your questions is a "guess" about another person.

Maybe they would maybe they wouldn't.

Last edited:
By the way, I'm under the impression that enlightened people are frequently mythologized. For instance, it seems common enough to claim for them an ability to walk on water. At least, in some cultures.

When I read things like that, I wonder what could be the meaning or purpose of saying such things? Is it as simple as the authors of those claims intend "walking on water", etc, to be taken by us as evidence that someone was enlightened? Or is there, as there is with so much myth, a poetic meaning to such claims? That is, a poetic way of describing an actual trait or attribute? Jung might have known, but I certainly don't. Do you have an opinion about it?

There are so many stories legends and myths that are common knowledge. Personally, for me I see that they are metaphors for things that are difficult or impossible to explain. For instance I believe walking on water is a metaphor for many things. first, water is a metaphor for truth and life and chi depending on the parable or story. Water is life try living without it. so by walking on water one walks on truth and faith that by doing this you will get where you are going through any storm. actually a storm would be nothing to fear. it is fear of death that is the problem of the men in the parable. When you walk on water you know there is nothing to fear with life or death. and if you are in the flow of the way of truth also your will will be in line and in harmony with nature and whatever goal or task is at hand so whether Jesus actually calmed the storm or stood on water or turned it to wine they are all metaphors for other things and not to be taken literally in general.

chinu

chinu
(1) Do you think an enlightened person would likely express contempt for people who were behaving foolishly?
No, very well an enlightened person knows that nobody is subject to contemptible, because nobody is foolish, there's something which has made somebody foolish.

No, because such person very well knows that he's an enlightened person Before telling people, rather than After telling people.

(3) If an enlightened person saw a bit of trash on the sidewalk, and was not pressed for time, would he or she likely pick it up to throw in the trash bin? What's your best guess?
An enlightened person very well knows what is being expected from him/her by the person who is watching him/her. of course he/she will do whatever is being expected from him/her at that time. :) (Different people have different views, thus different people expect different actions)

Of course, I expect. But its up to that person to pay attention or not. :)

What for he/she need to compare ?

Depends on the type of person who is standing in front an enlightened person.

That also depends on the type of person who is standing in front an enlightened person.

(8) Would an enlightened person's home likely be clean and tidy?
Of course an enlightened person likes cleanness and tidying as much it is possible to maintain according to the circumstances.
Perhaps.. age may not be allowing him/her to maintain, or other people who lives along with in his/her home doesn't maintain, but such a person never force much even his/her family members to do anything.

(9) Do you think an enlightened person would usually or habitually eat his or her food with condiments?
No, because such person eat food, Food never eat such person.

If such person wants to make realize of him/her being enlightened, than such person will tell about this planning in advance (Before doing )
And If such person doesn't want to make realize of him/her being enlightened, than such person will react like as what is being expected by the person who planning to do so (To make it a normal human react)
A true enlightened person always prove him/herself in front of anybody by using divine powers, only for divine missions, otherwise such person never uses his/her divine powers for any useless cases.

Depends on how many, and types of people are there in the room when all this happens :)

No, because such person is always busy in everlasting pleasure.

No, because the one who is busy in everlasting pleasure, doesn't requires lasting pleasure.

If any dog is fondled with love, he start shaking his tail.
Do you think an enlightened person is unkind than a Dog ? :)

An enlightened person very well knows.. what a type of person is.. Sunstone, IMO.:)

If required.

Have fun! And please don't take these questions too seriously! :D
OK.:)

Last edited: