• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoker's Rights vs. Everyone Else's Rights

Rakhel

why is it that when the argument is about one thing on the left, we(generally) go immediately to the right thinking that the argument is sound?

How on earth are you seriously comparing crack to tobacco?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Because why? Should privately owned businesses and homes be allowed to allow crack smoking?

LOL you probably won't much care for my answer to this one either.

I think consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want to do as long as they're not infringing on the rights of others. So I think that if adults want to hang out and smoke crack on their own property, they can have at it.

Now - if they WORK for me, I should be able to drug test them and if they show up positive, I should have the right to fire them. If they drive under the influence of crack, they should be arrested for DUI. But on their own property? Hey, if they're stupid enough to put that stuff in their bodies, well then by golly let 'em do it.

Sententia

Perhaps if the non-smokers actually stopped entering smoking allowed businesses...

I actually like this argument. I think it is at its core when really examined is frankly unethical and immoral but its a rationalization I am very familiar with. Can't say I haven't argued that before myself.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
You know what? BRING ON the tobacco PROHIBITION. I'll make a fortune selling Marlboros and Newports to your kids. No, really

Rakhel

You know what? BRING ON the tobacco PROHIBITION. I'll make a fortune selling Marlboros and Newports to your kids. No, really
Smoking? Prohibited? I have got to have one now. This one is for "The Man!" Let him catch me! **** YOU MAN!!!

Sententia

why is it that when the argument is about one thing on the left, we(generally) go immediately to the right thinking that the argument is sound?

How on earth are you seriously comparing crack to tobacco?

I am circling the point that tobacco is legal and thus nothing like crack. If anyone cared to argue with me rather then with themselves they would realize the fumes from crack smoking are dispersed faster and likely far less harmful to others then tobacco but everyone has their own goal and my goal is simply to make a point. You can research crack fumes: Woman who sickened boy with crack fumes gets prison term - Timesonline.com: News

You can go from there... but you wont find a whole lot of people being imprisoned for giving non-smokers lung cancer from smoking around them.

Smoking tobacco often infringes on the rights of others and unless the smoker is insuring he is smoking ethically then the smoker should usually not smoke. Smoking is harmful to other people. I think that is what is really being disputed.

That smoking is not harmful to others. (It clearly is.)

Smokers argue well if we are somewhere that allows us to be harmful to others then you should not come here... And the places that allow smoking often market to non-smokers regardless of what smokers are rationalizing.

Hope that helps. :)

Rakhel

Instead of Speak Easy's, we'll have Smoke Easy's! With charcoal and hepa filters and incense to keep anyone from smelling it outside!

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Instead of Speak Easy's, we'll have Smoke Easy's! With charcoal and hepa filters and incense to keep anyone from smelling it outside!
Yo! Check this out, Man! I just got this fresh shag from Denmark. This **** will **** YOU UP, Man!

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
"You selling Maui Wowie?"
"No, Peter Stokkebye, Man"
"Whoa, HARSH! :)"

Poster's Note: Peter Stokkebye is a real brand of Danish tobacco. It's actually quite good. I suggest you try it once.

Last edited:

Rakhel

Yo! Check this out, Man! I just got this fresh shag from Denmark. This **** will **** YOU UP, Man!
to get in the door, you must knock three times on the ceiling , twice on the pipe and name that tune.

Kathryn

And the places that allow smoking often market to non-smokers regardless of what smokers are rationalizing.

So WHAT?

If a restaurant or other business starts losing business because enough people don't want to be around smokers, they will most likely make sure that their majority customers are made more comfortable. If not - it should be their choice.

If I don't like the atmosphere at a restaurant, I won't be back.

Kathryn

Hooka party at my house. We can sit on the patio and blow smoke in the direction of my neighbor's house. It's an acre away but hey...it just might work. I don't like them anyway.

Kathryn

yosi, you can vape at my house if you want. I mean, I wish you'd smoke, but if you INSIST, you can vape. I'll designate a vaping section of the patio.

Sententia

So WHAT?

If a restaurant or other business starts losing business because enough people don't want to be around smokers, they will most likely make sure that their majority customers are made more comfortable. If not - it should be their choice.

If I don't like the atmosphere at a restaurant, I won't be back.

The point is you don't have to go back. Some percentage of people that went once and said HELLL NOO I am never coming back here still ended up with lung cancer from that one visit. (Or perhaps from a myriad of other restaurants they also said they would never return too) Then again... it was probably a small percentage though so meh... Their rights probably mean less.

That is rationalization and not reason.