• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some new age beliefs that I believe is wrong

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you believe that God is what a person need it to be?
Have you ever known God to not be what you need it to be?

One night I dreamed I was walking
along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed that
during the low periods of my life, when I was
suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,”You promised me
Lord, that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods
of my life there have only been
one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?”
The Lord replied,
“The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you.”
~ Mary Stevenson

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
People can believe in almost what they want. But they can not believe in everything. It is bad to believe in evil. If a person have evil beliefs I hope that person never act on his beliefs
I think if a person really desires true justice they should be very capable of finding it. Thus everyone is held responsible for their morality and actions.

I think the fairest place to start is thinking that whatever is good for me then other people are going to want the same for themselves. I think true justice starts with caring truly about self to others and others to self. All justice is measured by the virtues. To know virtues is to know about vices as well.

It's an evil conscience that doesn't care to heed to learning about what's trustworthy and what's deserving. I think there are those who think everything is relative to the circumstance and that morality is whatever they wish it to be. That to me couldn't be further from the truth and that's where tyranny comes in and freedom goes out the window.

If morality is not whatever we wish it to be that means their is a truth to be discovered. Which is why I try to be open minded about God.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Modern christianity says Jesus is an historical person. He's not.
You say that as though you know for sure. You realize that Carrier is one of around only 20 scholars that believe that? Many atheists believe Jesus was historical too. Take Bart Ehrman for one key example.

So that doesn't make modern Christianity bad, considering it the consensus of most modern historical scholars (religion set aside in that view). What specifically other than a fringe view about the historical Jesus you favor, makes modernist Christianity bad in your eyes?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
My God comforts. Nothing more. Justice is served by a judicial system imo. As far as me feeling bad about something that I’ve done? That’s just a guilty conscience imo.

Regarding karma. I don’t believe in it. I believe in forgiveness. And who says that the karma you receive is going to be equal to what you did wrong? Also, what if you get caught committing a crime and go to jail. Should you also receive karma punishment? I think no.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I will agree with @syo that modern Christianity is highly flawed with dominant Hellenist, Roman influence. Many beliefs and doctrines have little or no relevance to the early Christianity and Judaism that is their origin. Christianity is fractured and divided in many conflicting beliefs trying to go back to some coherent belief based on the Bible.

Christianity in reality did evolve into a fractured Roman Western religion rooted in Paulist Hellenist beliefs.
Why do you dislike modern christianity? Why it is important for you if christians believe in paul and his laws or not?

Why do you care if christianity did evolve into a fractured Roman Western religion rooted in Paulist Hellenist beliefs? Is that so bad for you?

Starlight

The problems of divided and conflicting ancient tribal religions is endemic not only Christianity. My foundation philosophy is universalism, and by faith Baha'i, because these views are more open-ended and acknowledge an evolving spiritual nature of fallible human beliefs. The human perspective and ancient tribal religions are unreliable. It remains that the Baha'i Fain must be understood in its context, though it does acknowledge change, and the priority of science in understanding the limits of the relationship with the physical in all the scriptures.

The evolving nature of the knowledge of science represents a firm foundation to understand the nature of our physical existence, and nothing more.

The universalism philosophy is my foundation. Its basis is not to make final judgments as to whether true or false in the absolute sense but to consider all religions as they are in the context of those who believe and the culture and time they developed.
Bahai is not universalism. Bahais believe that the Bahai faith is God's last religion. And that all people should follow Baha'u'llah and his laws. And many religions believe in reincarnation. Bahais do not believe in reincarnation

Starlight

My God comforts. Nothing more. Justice is served by a judicial system imo. As far as me feeling bad about something that I’ve done? That’s just a guilty conscience imo.

Regarding karma. I don’t believe in it. I believe in forgiveness. And who says that the karma you receive is going to be equal to what you did wrong? Also, what if you get caught committing a crime and go to jail. Should you also receive karma punishment? I think no.
Why do you not believe in karma?

EconGuy

It is bad to believe in evil.

Wait, what? I know you're not saying what you just said. I know you believe in evil, right? I mean, evil exists. I think what you meant to say is that it's bad to believe that evil [actions are good].
If a person have evil beliefs I hope that person never act on his beliefs

Our beliefs are the basis of our actions. No one takes an action unless they believe that it will result in a predictable series of events (even if the prediction is that the result is unknown).

Now, if you believe that evil is bad, and not only bad, but if there is a personification of bad, evil describes it. What should a person do if they believe that something is evil? To what extent should a person go to eradicate evil?

Now, imagine being trans or homosexual or atheist and loudest voices in Christianity are telling anyone that will listen that all of these groups are evil.

If a person believes that homosexually is sin and that willfully committing sin is evil, imagine how that belief manifests itself in the world in terms of actions.

lukethethird

unknown member
You say that as though you know for sure. You realize that Carrier is one of around only 20 scholars that believe that? Many atheists believe Jesus was historical too. Take Bart Ehrman for one key example.

So that doesn't make modern Christianity bad, considering it the consensus of most modern historical scholars (religion set aside in that view). What specifically other than a fringe view about the historical Jesus you favor, makes modernist Christianity bad in your eyes?
Correction, Carrier gives Jesus being historical a 1 in three chance, and Ehrman claims to be agnostic, what he is agnostic about is anyone's guess because he is not agnostic when it comes to Jesus of whom he is certain is historical. Ehrman's certainty of Jesus's historicity is based on his belief in hypothetical texts which are not known to exist., read Does Jesus Exist by Ehrman.

lukethethird

unknown member
Some new agers believe God is only love. That God is not justice. And they believe actions to not have consequences.
I believe this beliefs is wrong.

I believe God is love yes, but our actions do have consequences. Because I believe God is also justice. God created karma. Karma is real.

That God is only love may sounds good, but it is not the reality . All our actions do have consequences.

But i believe punishments like Hell and reincarnation is not eternal. They are only temporary because God is love. A loving God do not torture his creations.

Do you believe God is love and just? What do you believe about God and the afterlife? Any thought?
As a member of the Anglican church I would say that there is no way of knowing if our religious beliefs about God are true or not, we simply have no way of knowing, it's why we call it faith. Your opinion about God, or mine, is no better than anyone else's.

Starlight

Have you ever known God to not be what you need it to be?

One night I dreamed I was walking
along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed that
during the low periods of my life, when I was
suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,”You promised me
Lord, that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods
of my life there have only been
one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?”
The Lord replied,
“The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you.”
~ Mary Stevenson
I love that poem. It describes God's love for us all

Starlight

Wait, what? I know you're not saying what you just said. I know you believe in evil, right? I mean, evil exists. I think what you meant to say is that it's bad to believe that evil [actions are good].

Our beliefs are the basis of our actions. No one takes an action unless they believe that it will result in a predictable series of events (even if the prediction is that the result is unknown).

Now, if you believe that evil is bad, and not only bad, but if there is a personification of bad, evil describes it. What should a person do if they believe that something is evil? To what extent should a person go to eradicate evil?

Now, imagine being trans or homosexual or atheist and loudest voices in Christianity are telling anyone that will listen that all of these groups are evil.

If a person believes that homosexually is sin and that willfully committing sin is evil, imagine how that belief manifests itself in the world in terms of actions.
Yes I meant that it is bad to believe that evil actions is good.

Starlight

As a member of the Anglican church I would say that there is no way of knowing if our religious beliefs about God are true or not, we simply have no way of knowing, it's why we call it faith. Your opinion about God, or mine, is no better than anyone else's.
Yes you are correct, we can only have belief about God.

PureX

Veteran Member
Can you explain it again? I did not understand what you believe about divine justice
It seems to me that our desire for justice is basically a selfish desire for justification and often vengeance. Someone causes us pain so we want them to experience an equal share of pain in return. Or existential circumstances cause us to suffer, and we want 'justification' for it, even from God, as if our suffering is a 'wrong' that must be addressed in some way.

But is this true? Is it really wrong that we suffer? Or is this idea just part of our survival instinct? Part of the mechanics of our physicality? And therefor, by my definition, not "divine". Not transcendent of the mechanics of physical functionality.

I think our desire not to cause others to suffer unnecessarily or selfishly is divine, and tangentially not to want to suffer, ourselves, may be part of that. But the expectation that we should not ever have to suffer, or forgive those that cause us to suffer seems selfish to me. Not divine at all.