• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some questions about evolution.

Noaidi

slow walker
Isn't it telling that ,virtually every week, we hear of another advance in science that relates to evolution. Even in the past week or so, we've had a human ancestor described and possible dino feathers preserved in amber.

What significant revelations have we had from the creationist / ID community?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

bfz001.gif

johnhanks

Isn't it telling that ,virtually every week, we hear of another advance in science that relates to evolution. Even in the past week or so, we've had a human ancestor described and possible dino feathers preserved in amber.

I once put up a long-forgotten thread here asking why creationists are not in the forefront of palaeontological research. After all, they know for a fact that all species that have ever lived have been contemporaries, so somewhere out there there must be a bed of fossilised trilobites intermingled with whale bones, and a T. rex with human bones where its stomach was - either of which discoveries would be fatal for ToE. Given that many creationist organisations are financially well endowed, financing the search for them should be a cinch.

So, creationists, why so evasive and defensive in the face of fossil discoveries? If you're right and evolution is false, the evidence should be out there just waiting for you to dig it up.

Photonic

Ad astra!
I once put up a long-forgotten thread here asking why creationists are not in the forefront of palaeontological research. After all, they know for a fact that all species that have ever lived have been contemporaries, so somewhere out there there must be a bed of fossilised trilobites intermingled with whale bones, and a T. rex with human bones where its stomach was - either of which discoveries would be fatal for ToE. Given that many creationist organisations are financially well endowed, financing the search for them should be a cinch.

So, creationists, why so evasive and defensive in the face of fossil discoveries? If you're right and evolution is false, the evidence should be out there just waiting for you to dig it up.

They also refuse to comment on the new transitional fossils that pop up every few months or so.

Alceste

Vagabond

They argue that the dinosaurs sank deeper than the birds and mammals when they died in the flood. Presto! No need to find new evidence, just use the existing evidence to come to a ridiculous and unsupportable conclusion.

Tiberius

They argue that the dinosaurs sank deeper than the birds and mammals when they died in the flood. Presto! No need to find new evidence, just use the existing evidence to come to a ridiculous and unsupportable conclusion.

Ah! So the dinosaurs sank deeper because they are larger! Which is why we NEVER find small animals lower in the fossil record than large animals. We'd never see an Archaeopteryx (crow sized) lower than a T-rex, would we? of course not. What a wonderful, fool-proof argument! Has me convinced!

Ah! So the dinosaurs sank deeper because they are larger! Which is why we NEVER find small animals lower in the fossil record than large animals. We'd never see an Archaeopteryx (crow sized) lower than a T-rex, would we? of course not. What a wonderful, fool-proof argument! Has me convinced!
LOL! And somehow mammoths, whales, and horses didn't sink lower than humans ..... maybe those animals had internal sacs, which did not fossilize, which were filled with hydrogen to make those animals light as a feather!

johnhanks

They argue that the dinosaurs sank deeper than the birds and mammals when they died in the flood.
To be honest, I'm more familiar with the 'head-for-the-hills' alibi. See, when the floodwaters started to mount, all the animals raced for the high ground. Now it goes without saying that the primitive invertebrates floundered first and formed the deepest fossils; among the vertebrates, the amphibians were least good at running, so are found lower than the slightly more efficient reptiles, with us good ol' mammals getting highest (and clever humans highest of all: no doubt we rode up on pterodactyls, which then returned to get fossilised with their kin).

What's remarkable, of course, is that not a single mammal (let alone human) was so old or so sick or so lame that it got left behind with the dinosaurs.

Presto! No need to find new evidence, just use the existing evidence to come to a ridiculous and unsupportable conclusion.
My point exactly. All creationists currently do is attempt defensively (and really rather pitifully) to contradict evolutionary interpretations of existing fossil evidence. If they really had the strength of their convictions they'd be out there looking for Haldane's Precambrian rabbits. I mean, they must know they're out there somewhere...

Alceste

Vagabond
To be honest, I'm more familiar with the 'head-for-the-hills' alibi. See, when the floodwaters started to mount, all the animals raced for the high ground. Now it goes without saying that the primitive invertebrates floundered first and formed the deepest fossils; among the vertebrates, the amphibians were least good at running, so are found lower than the slightly more efficient reptiles, with us good ol' mammals getting highest (and clever humans highest of all: no doubt we rode up on pterodactyls, which then returned to get fossilised with their kin).

What's remarkable, of course, is that not a single mammal (let alone human) was so old or so sick or so lame that it got left behind with the dinosaurs.

My point exactly. All creationists currently do is attempt defensively (and really rather pitifully) to contradict evolutionary interpretations of existing fossil evidence. If they really had the strength of their convictions they'd be out there looking for Haldane's Precambrian rabbits. I mean, they must know they're out there somewhere...

Except that creationists do not accept the value of evidence at all. Evidence is nothing more than a threat and needs only to be defended against. It isn't a firm foundation on which to build conclusions - that's what the Bible is for. Why go looking for evidence when evidence is the adversary of Biblical "truth"? A YEC once reacted to my 100 million year old dinosaur tooth necklace with fear, as if it were occult and sinister - he even said it was from Satan, placed in my fossil-hunting path to divert me from the truth. Can you imagine that guy going looking for a precambrian rabbit? Everything he needs to know is in his book.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Except that creationists do not accept the value of evidence at all. Evidence is nothing more than a threat and needs only to be defended against. It isn't a firm foundation on which to build conclusions - that's what the Bible is for. Why go looking for evidence when evidence is the adversary of Biblical "truth"? A YEC once reacted to my 100 million year old dinosaur tooth necklace with fear, as if it were occult and sinister - he even said it was from Satan, placed in my fossil-hunting path to divert me from the truth. Can you imagine that guy going looking for a precambrian rabbit? Everything he needs to know is in his book.
Having discussed the nature of evidence extensively with creationists (other forums), I'd say you're wrong about many.
Many do accept evidence, but interpret it differently - they reason from the premise of divine creation & sometimes guided evolution,
rather than accepting the scientific method. Tis still loopy IMO, but it's useful to properly understand their varied perspectives.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
Rusra02,

I'm curious-do you believe that evolution is a deliberate lie? Do you believe that it's a lie concocted by professional scientists who really know better but knowingly lie for whatever reason they choose to do so?

I'm an evolutionist. I think that no theory or hypothesis, no matter how popular, should be shielded from challenge. If people think there are serious scientific shortcomings or even fatal flaws in the ToE, I think people should voice them. I'm not opposed to seeing evolution challenged. In my judgment, some of the best scientific theories in the past have risen from people willing to challenge the prevalent paradigm.

Regarding the partial quote above, when you state you believe no theory or hypothesis... should be shielded from challenge, you are in the definite minority among the ToE faithful. And I do applaud your willingness to examine the evidence. Honest people can have honest differences of viewpoint.

Noaidi

slow walker
Regarding the partial quote above, when you state you believe no theory or hypothesis... should be shielded from challenge, you are in the definite minority among the ToE faithful.
Interesting, rusra. There have been numerous people in various threads here saying exactly the same thing. In science, nothing is set in stone, nothing is taken for granted. Results, data, conclusions are routinely challenged and rightly so.

Where do you get the notion that science doesn't operate in this way?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Regarding the partial quote above, when you state you believe no theory or hypothesis... should be shielded from challenge, you are in the definite minority among the ToE faithful. And I do applaud your willingness to examine the evidence. Honest people can have honest differences of viewpoint.
Every aspect of science is challenged everyday. One of the most distiguishing features of the Scientific Method is the search for falsifying as well as confirming evidence.

johnhanks

Regarding the partial quote above, when you state you believe no theory or hypothesis... should be shielded from challenge, you are in the definite minority among the ToE faithful.
The theory of evolution is challenged every time a biologist makes a new observation. Certainly, as I've tried to suggest in my last few posts above (admittedly with tongue partially in cheek), it's tested every time someone unearths a new fossil. (If the creationists are right, that whale with trilobites in its stomach has to be out there somewhere!)

What ToE is not challenged by is creationism/ID, on the very simple grounds that these latter have nothing to do with science; you might as well claim that ToE is challenged by the Epic of Gilgamesh. And before you start banging on about why in that case isn't ID allowed to be taught, I'll reiterate that it's excluded only from school science; your local preacher is allowed to indoctrinate kids with it to his heart's content, if their parents wish it.

Last edited:

Tristesse

When creationism comes up with a theory thats testable, observable and makes predictions, not assertions, then you might have a decent challenge.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Show us these challenges to TOE of which you speak. You say they occur daily. How is it tested with discovery of a new fossil? And would that be akin to religion being tested with addition of a new scripture (or newly found ancient scripture)? Are there other ways to challenge TOE than with fossils? If yes, where are links to those ways?

How can it said on one hand, "nothing is set in stone" an on other hand, "TOE is fact, with insurmountable evidence supporting it?"

It seems like proponents want it both ways. The humble version that asserts the challenge is there daily, and is not taken for granted for one moment, and the 'other' version that says, 'there's nothing better, this is fact, creationism sucks, science has figured out that forms change all on its own with the wonderful process known as scientific method.'