• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Store owner shoots would be robber

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw this on YouTube last night:

All of the perpetrators have been caught. The store owner is alive, but he is rather aged and had a heart attack, almost certainly as a reaction to this.

I think the thing that always floors me about these kinds of robberies of small markets and convenience stores is that, by design, they're not very lucrative targets for a robber. Four armed robbers for a tiny store with an aged clerk? How much money were they expecting to get?

Reservoir Dogs, they ain't. They wouldn't even be good enough for The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It solves absolutely nothing.
Au contraire!
One man solved a very immediate deadly problem
with a gun. Individual solutions to individual problems
add up to bettering society. Of course, this is not to
say that we shouldn't also pursue systemic solutions.
A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Shotgun wielded by capable guy = Prevention of robbery & assault
And America is drunk with this idea that somehow things like the OP are good. It's not.
It's better than the innocent guy being shot & robbed,
& then the bad guys getting away with their crimes.
This was good.
The problem persists, it lingers on, absolutely nothing is actually done.
Blood spilled showed that something was accomplished.
Bad guys were arrested.
It's like squeezing the puss out of a festering would and thinking that's enough despite the deep red ring of infection surrounding the wound.
Shooting the robber was good enuf a result for the good guy.
It won't solve all society's problems, but it put 4 perps in jail.
No, at that point stuff must be done, like using an anti-septic and keeping the wound clean. However, these are things that should have been done in the first place, before the problem grew this bad.
No amount of grisly analogies defeat the fact
that this shooting was a good result. Bravo!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's not a utopia. Literally this is other First World and Western Nations. And, yes, I acknowledge even in places like England people get stabbed. But knives are not nearly as deadly as guns, they don't make impulsive violence as easy as guns, and they're easier to defend against. Hence not as many people killed or severely injured in those attacks in other places.
If the store clerk had disarmed himself, things would
have turned out worse. So until you can disarm all
the bad guys, guns are useful to good guys.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why not? Well I have no proof that the “vast majority” of stories about guns are so. At any rate, that would not make any difference about whether to report this story. Even if true that would give more reason to cover it because it would be exceptional. Of course some with an anti gun agenda will not like this story being discussed because it would undermine their purposes.
You think there's something pro-gun in this story? o_O

The weapon that the robber was carrying is also part of the story. Both weapons in that video are part of the same story about the availability of firearms. That store owner almost died because of your country's gun culture.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You think there's something pro-gun in this story? o_O

The weapon that the robber was carrying is also part of the story. Both weapons in that video are part of the same story about the availability of firearms. That store owner almost died because of your country's gun culture.
Being "pro-gun" is about having the right to own them,
& being responsible using them. It is definitely not
about allowing bad guys to use them for nefarious acts.
Our culture is what it is. The store guy coped with it
gloriously. This was good.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think the thing that always floors me about these kinds of robberies of small markets and convenience stores is that, by design, they're not very lucrative targets for a robber. Four armed robbers for a tiny store with an aged clerk? How much money were they expecting to get?
Probably not much.

It wouldn't take much restriction on the legal market availability of rifles like the one the robber used before numpties like these just can't afford to buy them on the black market, if he's so poor that he sees the likely haul from a robbery like this as worth risking his life over.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably not much.

It wouldn't take much restriction on the legal market availability of rifles like the one the robber used before numpties like these just can't afford to buy them on the black market, if he's so poor that he sees the likely haul from a robbery like this as worth risking his life over.

The article mentioned that the firearms they used were also stolen, along with the car they used. It didn't say where they were stolen from.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Au contraire!
One man solved a very immediate deadly problem
with a gun. Individual solutions to individual problems
add up to bettering society. Of course, this is not to
say that we shouldn't also pursue systemic solutions.

Shotgun wielded by capable guy = Prevention of robbery & assault

It's better than the innocent guy being shot & robbed,
& then the bad guys getting away with their crimes.
This was good.

Blood spilled showed that something was accomplished.
Bad guys were arrested.

Shooting the robber was good enuf a result for the good guy.
It won't solve all society's problems, but it put 4 perps in jail.

No amount of grisly analogies defeat the fact
that this shooting was a good result. Bravo!
The violence will continue as it is. That's why nothing was achieved or accomplished.
If the store clerk had disarmed himself, things would
have turned out worse. So until you can disarm all
the bad guys, guns are useful to good guys.
No where has totally disarmed the bad guys. But they have made it significantly harder for bad guys to easily rack up the kill count.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It solves absolutely nothing. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And America is drunk with this idea that somehow things like the OP are good. It's not. The problem persists, it lingers on, absolutely nothing is actually done. It's like squeezing the puss out of a festering would and thinking that's enough despite the deep red ring of infection surrounding the wound. No, at that point stuff must be done, like using an anti-septic and keeping the wound clean. However, these are things that should have been done in the first place, before the problem grew this bad.
Quite. Hold-ups like this occur so regularly because of the ready availability of GUNS. And so the reaction of storekeepers is to arm themselves with GUNS. And so lots of people live in fear and get killed or seriously injured, by GUNS. Every few months, dozens of schoolkids get mown down by some nutter, with GUNS. The nation shrugs, and argues for more GUNS.

Other countries look at this and no longer even shake their heads and frown. Sympathy has run out. They just laugh.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why not post the vast majority of stories about guns which involve the innocent getting killed.
I can...here
Unintentional firearm deaths in the United States 2005–2015 | Injury Epidemiology | Full Text
Unintentional firearm deaths decreased in the United States for all ages from 2000 to 2012 (Fowler et al. 2015; Griffin et al. 2018) and among children from 2002 to 2014 (Fowler et al. 2017). Nevertheless, unintentional deaths comprise 9% of firearm deaths around the world (The Global Burden of Disease 2016 Injury Collaborators, 2018). While that study of 195 countries showed that the rate of unintentional firearm deaths in the United States is the same as that for the 195 countries combined, the unintentional firearm death rate in the United States is four times higher than that of the other high-income countries (Grinshteyn and Hemenway 2019).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The violence will continue as it is. That's why nothing was achieved or accomplished.
Sure, nothing was achieved, if...
- One doesn't care about the life & livelihood of the store worker.
- One doesn't care that 4 bad guys should be caught & tried.

Perhaps we just have different perspectives.
You see society only. I see society and the individual.
We individuals will each do things in our own best
interest, eg, make money, defend ourselves, learn.
These are fundamental rights, even if you don't see
one person's survival as significantly benefiting society.
Without individual rights & responsibilities, society
becomes like N Korea or Nazi Germany.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Sure, nothing was achieved, if...
- One doesn't care about the life & livelihood of the store worker.
- One doesn't care that 4 bad guys should be caught & tried.
I care about stopping this before it happens. America's approach is hardly any different than popping a few aspirin during a heart attack a depending on medicine to work and sticking to this plan with a stupid and foolish stubbornness that refuses to even consider a diet change.
This is a terrible thing because more store workers will fall under attack and many of them are going to get shot and killed. That's the reality of America and it is unacceptable.
Perhaps we just have different perspectives.
You see society only. I see society and the individual.
We individuals will each do things in our own best
interest, eg, make money, defend ourselves, learn.
These are fundamental rights, even if you don't see
one person's survival as significantly benefiting society.
Without individual rights & responsibilities, society
becomes like N Korea or Nazi Germany.
I see individuals who shouldn't have to fear for their lives. I see individuals who should be able to expect to live in much safer conditions that are provided by other First World and Western countries.
And please, it's insulting to me for you to think I'd be for doing way with individual rights and safety. You should know better.

Shadow Wolf

Quite. Hold-ups like this occur so regularly because of the ready availability of GUNS. And so the reaction of storekeepers is to arm themselves with GUNS. And so lots of people live in fear and get killed or seriously injured, by GUNS. Every few months, dozens of schoolkids get mown down by some nutter, with GUNS. The nation shrugs, and argues for more GUNS.

Other countries look at this and no longer even shake their heads and frown. Sympathy has run out. They just laugh.
Why have sympathy for fools who keep doing the same damn thing over and over despite it's obvious failures?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I care about stopping this before it happens. America's approach is hardly any different than popping a few aspirin during a heart attack a depending on medicine to work and sticking to this plan with a stupid and foolish stubbornness that refuses to even consider a diet change.
This is a terrible thing because more store workers will fall under attack and many of them are going to get shot and killed. That's the reality of America and it is unacceptable.

I see individuals who shouldn't have to fear for their lives. I see individuals who should be able to expect to live in much safer conditions that are provided by other First World and Western countries.
And please, it's insulting to me for you to think I'd be for doing way with individual rights and safety. You should know better.
Many things either should be or shouldn't be.
But in the real world, we must cope with things
as they actually are. So store workers should
do what's useful to them personally, including
shooting bad guys.

Shadow Wolf

Many things either should be or shouldn't be.
But in the real world, we must cope with things
as they actually are. So store workers should
do what's useful to them personally, including
shooting bad guys.
We need to accept it is the real world where store workers don't have to worry about bad guys armed with a gun. They come in armed with things that aren't nearly as likely to kill.
Yes, that is the real world. Just not in America, the only Western country where this bull**** happens because it refuses to accept the world for how it really is.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We need to accept it is the real world where store workers don't have to worry about bad guys armed with a gun. They come in armed with things that aren't nearly as likely to kill.
Yes, that is the real world. Just not in America, the only Western country where this bull**** happens because it refuses to accept the world for how it really is.
The world is what it is.
Not what you think it should be.

Shadow Wolf

The world is what it is.
Not what you think it should be.
The world isn't America. America is the only First World and Western nation that has this problem.
The world is what it is, very much so, and much of it doesn't have this sort of violence as a reality. To much of the world their kids are safe at school. Much of the world doesn't have active shooter drills. To much of the world America doesn't seem to care enough about this problem to fix it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The world isn't America. America is the only First World and Western nation that has this problem.
Not entirely accurate, but it's an irrelevant claim
when argued to the individual who lives here,
& not in your "superior" other countries.
The world is what it is, very much so, and much of it doesn't have this sort of violence as a reality. To much of the world their kids are safe at school. Much of the world doesn't have active shooter drills. To much of the world America doesn't seem to care enough about this problem to fix it.
Are you just venting about the state of Ameristan,
or making an argument to advocate something?
Remember, this thread is about one person using
a gun in a productive manner.
It's odd that the anti-gun rights crowd gets more
worked up over a proper successful defense
than about mis-usage of guns gone wrong.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
How is this a good thing? America is so violent people need guns. That is terrible.
And not only that people don't care about justice of being proportionate to the crime when they draw the gun. Example? This very OP story where shooting someone over robbery is excessive.
This story is another disgusting example that America is drunk and highly intoxicated on notions of violence being acceptable, good and heroic.
Yes he should have just handed over his money and died, like a good little subject of the system. :rolleyes: