• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Store owner shoots would be robber

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Armed shopkeepers like the person you're proclaiming as a hero are the reason why criminals like the robber in this story arm themselves.

Both sides share responsibility for increasing the potential for violence and the risk to innocent bystanders.
Notice how those blinded by and drunk on gun violence seem to always think those who want to actually do something about it are ultra pacifists who just want everyone to to give up and do absolutely nothing in all situations?
They seem to have absolutely no concept of priorities when it comes to things that are just not worth risking yourself over.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Notice how those blinded by and drunk on gun violence seem to always think those who want to actually do something about it are ultra pacifists who just want everyone to to give up and do absolutely nothing in all situations?
That poster does strongly appear to advocate
that good guys give up guns to encourage
bad guys to do the same.
This is idiocy. There's opportunity for reform,
but not by unilateral disarming.
They seem to have absolutely no concept of priorities when it comes to things that are just not worth risking yourself over.
Anti-gun rights nuts aren't making their side
look any more reasonable than extremists
on the other side.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
bad guys to do the same.
This is idiocy. There's opportunity for reform,
but not by unilateral disarming.

on the other side.
I am for reasonable gun control. But it needs to be national. Gun control in one state only means that criminals will go one state over to get their guns. That sort of gun control puts the private citizens at risk.

If you notice in the video the robber had an AK47 style rifle. The store owner had something much more practical for self defense. He had a shotgun. Close counts with shotguns too.

Shadow Wolf

bad guys to do the same.
That poster has twice now said that's what I'm advocating for.
on the other side.
I would say my argument looks pretty damn good by asserting family and friends are worth fighting for, the paper in a register is not.
I've seen some members who think it's just fine and dandy to take that risk for the paper.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am for reasonable gun control. But it needs to be national. Gun control in one state only means that criminals will go one state over to get their guns. That sort of gun control puts the private citizens at risk.

If you notice in the video the robber had an AK47 style rifle. The store owner had something much more practical for self defense. He had a shotgun. Close counts with shotguns too.
Agreed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
T
I would say my argument looks pretty damn good by asserting family and friends are worth fighting for, the paper in a register is not.
I've seen some members who think it's just fine and dandy to take that risk for the paper.
You're not arguing.
Just complaining about how violent USA is.

If the anti-gun types made reasonable proposals
based upon analysis of reality, they just might
find some success...even allies on the other side.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Not dead, just "extinct in the wild" in the US.

And you're doing your best to kill off personal responsibility too, I see.
Personal responsibility means being able to defend yourself and others if need be. The alternative is to be a victim willingly.
Why would anyone advocate such lunacy?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The owner had a shotgun, and he probably "missed". He only hit his arm which means that the center of the spread was not on the body at all. Here is a quick video on how rapidly a shotgun blast will spread:

Shadow Wolf

That's an odd usage of the word "sheep," Are we just throwing out buzz words willy-nilly now?
I took it to mean to be pacifist/non-violent and not put up a resistance.
Which really says more about them and how they are willing to escalate an already bad situation just to resort to violence over something replaceable that doesn't really even mean anything personally to them. And because there is insurance for this type of thing, I'll just give the robber the entire register just so there's no question of me holding back. Why the hell and I am going to risk myself further than it already is over such a trivial thing? Why are they willing to escalate it over such a trivial thing?

Shadow Wolf

The owner had a shotgun, and he probably "missed". He only hit his arm which means that the center of the spread was not on the body at all. Here is a quick video on how rapidly a shotgun blast will spread:

It's likely that may have been intentional. You don't miss with a scattershot from that distance as long. Even at much further distances you're still likely to hit the target in the center of the spread.
Or he did entirely miss and his aim and/or reaction control are very poor and he fired before he meant to. That too is just as likely because while a scattershot isn't highly accurate people do go duck hunting with them. And that's a much smaller, faster and harder target to hit.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They seem to have a complete lack of foresight beyond a step or two ahead. They can think as far as "if store owners have guns, they can shoot crooks" but apparently can't make the mental leap to "if store owners have guns, crooks will get guns, too."

Shadow Wolf

You're not arguing.
Just complaining about how violent USA is.
I also realized, you are applying to things where I was commenting to specific things from certain posters. Like this idea that just because I see as cash register and the paper within as not worth fighting over I would inherently have this same attitude in all situations.
That is where this argument of priorities is coming from, complete with emphasizing things of high value (those people around us who give life meaning and value) compared to something very replaceable that is covered by insurance. This is called a philosophical argument.

Shadow Wolf

They seem to have a complete lack of foresight beyond a step or two ahead. They can think as far as "if store owners have guns, they can shoot crooks" but apparently can't make the mental leap to "if store owners have guns, crooks will get guns, too."
That's why I keep saying they'd prefer to take a few aspirin and go the hospital to treat a heart attack than make the changes reduce the chances of having one in the first place.

Shadow Wolf

The rest of the world is the real world. Just because America currently makes it easier for any Tom, Dick, Sally or Jane to get a gun than even other Western gun owning countries doesn't mean the way America currently does things is the "real world."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's likely that may have been intentional. You don't miss with a scattershot from that distance as long. Even at much further distances you're still likely to hit the target in the center of the spread.
Or he did entirely miss and his aim and/or reaction control are very poor and he fired before he meant to. That too is just as likely because while a scattershot isn't highly accurate people do go duck hunting with them. And that's a much smaller, faster and harder target to hit.

If you watch the video he shoots without any hesitation. That indicates that he shot too early to me. There was no judgement of, "let's just wing 'im".