• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Store owner shoots would be robber

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Their life is more important than the hassle of the insurance claim for whatever they steal.

The life of any innocent bystander who might get caught in the crossfire is more important than the hassle of the insurance claim.

The shopkeeper's own life - which would be very much at risk if they decide to start a gun battle - is more important than the hassle of the insurance claim.

Your point of view isn't even self-centered; it's just reckless. Do you really think that when a bad guy - who you say is ready to murder you - already has a gun pointed at you, things are likely to go well for you if you reach for your gun?

Give this scenario more than half a second of thought.
All of those things can already happen whether you defend yourself or not. Someone else is more likely to be injured if you just let him get away with it, because he will do it again. The shopowners life is already at risk. Quit pretending that cooperation will always bring peaceful results.
And yes, I believe my having a gun changes things for the better. I've experienced it. The other guy's whole demeanor changed after he saw I was armed also. He suddenly became a lot more polite.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
All of those things can already happen whether you defend yourself or not. Someone else is more likely to be injured if you just let him get away with it, because he will do it again. The shopowners life is already at risk. Quit pretending that cooperation will always bring peaceful results.
And yes, I believe my having a gun changes things for the better. I've experienced it. The other guy's whole demeanor changed after he saw I was armed also. He suddenly became a lot more polite.
You're just incapable of seeing the world in anything other than black and white, aren't you?

Probabilities and risk don't matter, everything's an all-or-nothing binary... right?

No wonder you keep arguing for foolish courses of action.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You're just incapable of seeing the world in anything other than black and white, aren't you?

Probabilities and risk don't matter, everything's an all-or-nothing binary... right?

No wonder you keep arguing for foolish courses of action.
I have no idea where you got that idea. Of course risk matters. That's why we prepare to defend ourselves.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I got it from what you wrote. Things like this:

And this:
And this applies to lots of things in life. If there's risk, prepare accordingly.
Like the old boy scout motto. " Be prepared."

Know how to start a fire several different ways.
Carry a knife.
Know how to build a shelter, find water, hunt, trap, fish, and shoot.
That's just for starters.
Don't be a middle aged layabout who can barely make it from couch to fridge. Get in decent shape.
Being unhealthy is one of the biggest risks there is.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And this applies to lots of things in life. If there's risk, prepare accordingly.
Like the old boy scout motto. " Be prepared."

Know how to start a fire several different ways.
Carry a knife.
Know how to build a shelter, find water, hunt, trap, fish, and shoot.
That's just for starters.
Don't be a middle aged layabout who can barely make it from couch to fridge. Get in decent shape.
Being unhealthy is one of the biggest risks there is.
It's like talking to a chatbot.

We Never Know

No Slack
This is NOT an abortion thread so launch it out the window.

My post point was about you statement of "A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" more than it was about abortion. Just think if we use that statement toward many other things such as aids, diabetes, cancer, STD's, etc.

Last edited: