• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff Republicans say.

esmith

Veteran Member
If they were passing legitimate and popular bills that he simply did not want to pass, potentially because he wanted to harm the party, then yes.

But I don't think there can be any question about the significant difference in quantity and quality of rejection between republicans and democrats during the last 6 years. Would you agree to that?

In simple terms NO.
How many bills has Harry Reid refused to bring to the floor for discussion let alone a vote.
Top 10 Bipartisan Jobs Bills Blocked by Senate Democrats - AMAC, Inc. AMAC, Inc.
Video: Senator Harry Reid is Obstructing 352 Bills passed by The House. Fire Harry Reid! | The Minority Report Blog
Guess How Many Bills the Senate Has Actually Voted on This Year | TheBlaze.com
Harry's rules: Reid dominates crippled Congress - Washington Times

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Bill are being held up by both sides...so let's not make it seem like we're just out to hurt your agenda. No if you want we can take these bills you keep harping on and find out why they're being halted. Many of them hurt the working poor and middle income......

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Bill are being held up by both sides...so let's not make it seem like we're just out to hurt your agenda. No if you want we can take these bills you keep harping on and find out why they're being halted. Many of them hurt the working poor and middle income......

You do realize that these bills are being held up in the Senate which is controlled by Harry Reid and the Democrats. If these bills are so devastating to the working poor and middle class let Ol' Harry bring to the floor and expose them as such. No Democrat would even consider voting for the bill so every one would be safe and the Republicans would be shown as the bad guys. Simple?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
You do realize that these bills are being held up in the Senate which is controlled by Harry Reid and the Democrats. If these bills are so devastating to the working poor and middle class let Ol' Harry bring to the floor and expose them as such. No Democrat would even consider voting for the bill so every one would be safe and the Republicans would be shown as the bad guys. Simple?

And did you not read that I said this is happening on both sides...considering republicans control the House? Of course it's within the power of both leaders of the Senate and the House to bring bills to the floor...I'm not in opposition per se with either of them "tabling" bills...but it's not the fact of tabling the bill it's what's in them. While I have my issues with Boehner not wanting to bring certain bills to the floor he's in his right as Speaker to do so. Let's not be naive into believing the door only swings one way on this issues.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The party of "NO" the Republican party filibusters bill after bill after bill in effect doing exactly the same thing. Rather than the hypocrisy of blaming Democrats for what they themselves are doing first stop filibustering bills and then we can talk.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Oh, so the Senate should have voted the roughly 50 times the Pubs in the House passed the elimination of the ACA? Einstein's definition of "insanity" well fits the Republican-dominated House, and I give credit to Reid for not going along with it: doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

Yes, as both Lindsey Graham and Bobby Jindal both lamented, the Pubs are definitely acting like it's the "Party of Stupid".

esmith

Veteran Member
Oh, so the Senate should have voted the roughly 50 times the Pubs in the House passed the elimination of the ACA? Einstein's definition of "insanity" well fits the Republican-dominated House, and I give credit to Reid for not going along with it: doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

Yes, as both Lindsey Graham and Bobby Jindal both lamented, the Pubs are definitely acting like it's the "Party of Stupid".

The House members are representatives of their constituents and the people should have a right to have their voices heard. You may disagree with what they want and think that it should not be voted upon. That is not democracy, that is basically one party rule and we all know what one party rule is. So, just because "you" think that their ideas are stupid does not make it right.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The House members are representatives of their constituents and the people should have a right to have their voices heard.

Ahh yes.. The "schoolhouse rock" version of government where your statement would be true but I find that congress isn't working this way these days. There are a number of issues Americans are in favor of yet this congress is the least productive on the issues. Congress is voting their agenda..not the agenda of the people

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The House members are representatives of their constituents and the people should have a right to have their voices heard. You may disagree with what they want and think that it should not be voted upon. That is not democracy, that is basically one party rule and we all know what one party rule is. So, just because "you" think that their ideas are stupid does not make it right.

I never stated nor implied otherwise, but doesn't it certainly beg the question as to how they managed to get an 8% approval rating, which relatively speaking makes Obama into a rock star comparatively?

BTW, notice that it was Lindsey and Jindal who labeled the party as looking "stupid", and the last time I heard they're Pubs, but I can hardly disagree with them on that?

esmith

Veteran Member
I never stated nor implied otherwise, but doesn't it certainly beg the question as to how they managed to get an 8% approval rating, which relatively speaking makes Obama into a rock star comparatively?

BTW, notice that it was Lindsey and Jindal who labeled the party as looking "stupid", and the last time I heard they're Pubs, but I can hardly disagree with them on that?

Maybe if Harry Reid brought bill to the floor for discussion maybe it would be over 8%. Yes, the House has rejected many of the bills that the Senate has submitted to them because those bills go against conservatives agenda.
Yeah, I guess that Obama being a "rock star" was what got him elected, not competence.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Maybe if Harry Reid brought bill to the floor for discussion maybe it would be over 8%. Yes, the House has rejected many of the bills that the Senate has submitted to them because those bills go against conservatives agenda.
Yeah, I guess that Obama being a "rock star" was what got him elected, not competence.
Considering the President before Obama and the Republican candidates in 2008 and 2012 and the likely ones in a couple of years, President Obama did a good job. He made mistakes, of course, one of which was to be so accommodating to the Republicans. We would have been better off with him espousing clear policies rather than trying to negotiate with people who refuse to have anything to do with him including renouncing their own policies when he adopted them.

Since turnout is fair, if a Republican should unfortunately win in 2016, maybe the Democrats should do as much as they can to sabotage and frustrate that person as the Republicans did to President Obama. It's very fair to do that.

esmith

Veteran Member
Considering the President before Obama and the Republican candidates in 2008 and 2012 and the likely ones in a couple of years, President Obama did a good job. He made mistakes, of course, one of which was to be so accommodating to the Republicans. We would have been better off with him espousing clear policies rather than trying to negotiate with people who refuse to have anything to do with him including renouncing their own policies when he adopted them.

Since turnout is fair, if a Republican should unfortunately win in 2016, maybe the Democrats should do as much as they can to sabotage and frustrate that person as the Republicans did to President Obama. It's very fair to do that.

And just what has Obama done that you think is such a "good job". As far as your comment that if non-Democrat wins in 2016 the Democrats should sabotage and frustrate that person.....if a non-Democrat wins the Presidency what gives you the idea that Democrats would have control over one or both legislative branches of Congress.

Buttercup

Veteran Member

I am ashamed to admit that Obama was the first Democrat I've ever voted for and I've been voting since 1980. He has definitely been a let down for too many reasons to name here. However, in the last few years what the Republican party has become is such a turn-off, I have vowed to NEVER vote Republican again. The American Republican Party is a complete and utter embarrassment, imo.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And just what has Obama done that you think is such a "good job". As far as your comment that if non-Democrat wins in 2016 the Democrats should sabotage and frustrate that person.....if a non-Democrat wins the Presidency what gives you the idea that Democrats would have control over one or both legislative branches of Congress.
Second question first - Democrats can filibuster everything in the Senate just like the Republicans are doing now without a majority.

As far as his accomplishments, I think In Defense of Obama | Rolling Stone is a good list. One point - I would have liked a better health care law, but passing the REPUBLICAN health care plan over the opposition of the Republican party was a good first step. Sure it's imperfect but given how badly the USA has ranked in health care, it's a start.

He also kept us out of a depression. And more - see the article I referenced.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I am ashamed to admit that Obama was the first Democrat I've ever voted for and I've been voting since 1980. He has definitely been a let down for too many reasons to name here. However, in the last few years what the Republican party has become is such a turn-off, I have vowed to NEVER vote Republican again. The American Republican Party is a complete and utter embarrassment, imo.
I've been a Democratic voter for years. In 2008 I thought about voting Republican but have learned my lesson. The modern Republican party has moved so far to the right that it's become a . danger to the country. We've seen what happens with Republicans in power - wealth transfer to the rich, exploding deficits (see Kansas currently), cuts to essential services, destruction of the environment and so forth.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
What rock star image? He mobilized the youth vote, the Republicans pretty much took care of the minority vote for him, and he forced the Republicans to realize they can't depend on a white majority to pull them through anymore, especially when those born during the past 34 years or so have increasingly turned away from social Conservativism and towards the Democrats or Libertarians.