• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff Republicans say.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
ND High School Tells Its Female Students That Sexual Assault Depends On What You Wear | Crooks and Liars
According to ValleyNewsLive, school officials showed students a clip from the movie "Pretty Woman," in which Julia Roberts walks into a boutique wearing a skimpy outfit, and is promptly turned away. One student who was interviewed by local station WDAZ says that Devils Lake students don't dress that way. School officials counter that they were trying to send the message that other people's perception of you is influenced by how you dress. Fair enough, but if that was the case, they could have shown a clip of Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd from the movie, "Trading Places." Oh, but those characters were males. Never mind. Instead, the school saw fit to basically tell its female students, "Hey, stop dressing like prostitutes!"

:eek:.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Wealthy North Carolina Republican Politician Nailed For Medicaid And Food Stamp Fraud | Crooks and Liars

For all you "takers" out there (as Paul Ryan calls them)....All you really need to do is apologize and pay back the money you stole from the taxpayers.....Well accoding to the NC Republican chair.....

Devore said that if the allegations are true, the party expects him to repay the stolen funds. "Should the allegations prove true, we will call on Senator Meredith to accept responsibility, repay the funds, and apologize to the taxpayers of this county and state,"

:eek:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Antonin Scalia Says Constitution Permits Court To 'Favor Religion Over Non-Religion'

“I think the main fight is to dissuade Americans from what the secularists are trying to persuade them to be true: that the separation of church and state means that the government cannot favor religion over non-religion,” the Reagan-appointed jurist told the crowd of about 400 people.

“We do Him [God] honor in our pledge of allegiance, in all our public ceremonies,” the conservative Catholic justice continued. “There’s nothing wrong with that. It is in the best of American traditions, and don’t let anybody tell you otherwise. I think we have to fight that tendency of the secularists to impose it on all of us through the Constitution.”

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Jefferson would have a bone to pick with him.
Scalia...
I think the main fight is to dissuade Americans from what the secularists are trying to persuade them to be true: that the separation of church and state means that the government cannot favor religion over non-religion....

Jefferson...
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state#cite_note-Jefferson11-15

I am suspicious of Huff Po's coverage in this article though.
Too many of their quotes of Scalia are incomplete sentences.
One wonders if the chopped off portion would affect one's inferences.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I think maybe the single craziest thing I have ever heard any justice say in my lifetime is when Scalia, who said that he thinks the 2nd Amendment applies to all hand-held weapons, was asked whether this would apply to Stinger missiles, and he answered that he would have to think about this. Just a reminder that this hand-held missile can shoot down jetliners.

But Scalia has become quite well known for stating what normal people would consider to be absurd, and a question that some ask is whether he does this to just get attention and yank people's chains or whether he actually believes what he says? I certainly hope it's the latter.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I am suspicious of Huff Po's coverage in this article though.
Too many of their quotes of Scalia are incomplete sentences.
One wonders if the chopped off portion would affect one's inferences.
It's all in the article that was linked. He's clearly saying the non-religious shouldn't be equal to the religious.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
NC elections board investigating AFP's error-filled mailer to voters | State Politics | NewsObserver.com
The State Board of Elections is investigating the conservative Americans for Prosperity voter registration mailers that were riddled with inaccuracies.

Casey M. Mann, N.C. Democratic Party executive director, filed the complaint Monday over the Americans for Prosperity Foundation voter registration mailers that included incorrect information on where to send applications, an incorrect registration deadline, and inaccurate information about getting answers to questions.

The Board of Elections is required to investigate, said Josh Lawson, the board spokesman.

Americans for Prosperity, a group backed by the Koch brothers, has said the mistakes were unintentional, but in her letter to Board of Elections Executive Director Kim Strach, Mann says the mailers are a voter-suppression tool. The mailers reflect “a decision to attempt to utilize misleading, incorrect, and confusing voter registration mailers as a means of discouraging or intimidating voters in the 2014 General Election,” Mann wrote.

A mass mailing where “the intent and effect is to intimidate or discourage potential voters” is a Class I felony.

"Unintentional".......SURE..!!!!!.....You mean to tell me these people can't get simple dates, address and other important information correct but we're supposed to believe this was just a mistake....:rolleyes:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Michele Bachmann Claims ISIS Preparing 'Car Bombings' All Across America | Crooks and Liars
“I don’t want to see the car bombings and all of the havoc and chaos coming to the United States that we see in Baghdad,” she said. “Since we have the Islamic State come into the United States, we’ll see a wave of car bombings and bombings that occur here in the United States that would begin the process of destabilization to bring them to the point of defeating us here in the United States.”

What in the world is wrong with with these people......In her hyperbolic fear mongering rant she said Baghdadi (Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi) had been released back in 2009 from Camp Bucca)......but wait a minute...Baghdadi was actually released during the Bush administration...:areyoucra

Abu_Bakr_al-Baghdadi
According to US Department of Defense records, al-Baghdadi was held at Camp Bucca as a 'civilian internee' by US Forces-Iraq from February until December 2004, when he was recommended for release by a Combined Review and Release Board.[16][18] A number of newspapers and cable news channels have instead stated that al-Baghdadi was interned from 2005 to 2009. These reports originate from an intervi

But wait....Shouldn't Michelle Bachmann know this considering she is a friggin' House Intelligence Committee Member...??????

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Republican party is a gift that keeps on giving - I just hope they make the next two campaigns about gay marriage.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The Republican party is a gift that keeps on giving - I just hope they make the next two campaigns about gay marriage.

After today's SCOTUS kicking two cases back to the state basically legalizing same sex marriages in those two states...they most likely will drop that subject like a hot potatoe. hey're gonna focus on how the terrorist are coming this way to convert us all to Islam and bombing vars in the process. They're gonna play the scare game to see how much of the base they can scare to the polls.....The sad part about all this is they just might get the senate......and with no economic policies to help strenghthen the working poor and middle class if the somehow get the senate they're going to be destructive like they were in the 2013 government shutdown. They're going to try to enact all sorts of tax breaks, roll back regulation...and yes...once again..try and repeal Obamacare. The best we can hopefor if they get control is a president to veto...but if they have a majority then they'll just override his vetos........

esmith

Veteran Member
Conservative writer, gun shop owner bans Muslims from business, cites safety - National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com

WOW...Some people around here believe others are playing the race card..but when it's clear that it is what is there to say. Not only that but isn't this a clear descrimination.......

I am going to have to disagree with you about this for one reason and one reason only. Islam is not a race it is a ideology. Even Ibrahim Hooper, CAIR spokesperson has stated this. I for one have to agree with Greg Gutfeld ""Race only matters to liberals and racists."

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I am going to have to disagree with you about this for one reason and one reason only. Islam is not a race it is a ideology.

But it's discrimination nonetheless.

I for one have to agree with Greg Gutfeld ""Race only matters to liberals and racists."

Which is how racist and bigots justify their racism and bigotry....by claiming they're not racist and it's others who are racist or playing the race card....

GOP Official Resigns After Saying Purpose Of Voter ID Is To Suppress Votes Of Democrats, 'Lazy Blacks' | ThinkProgress
“if it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks that wants the government to give them everything, so be it.”

I know..I know...It's not a racist statement and it's obvious I see racism in the statement because I'm a liberal right?...or is it actually racist, bigoted and insensitive and many of us know it when we see it or hear it...:rolleyes:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A technical note: the Senate needs more than a majority to override veto. I think it's a 2/3 vote. And given what I've been reading today in some of the races, the odds are shifting toward the Democrats. As long as we wind up 50/50 with Biden holding the tie-breaker I'll be happy. And I think there's a decent chance now that could happen.

esmith

Veteran Member
A technical note: the Senate needs more than a majority to override veto. I think it's a 2/3 vote. And given what I've been reading today in some of the races, the odds are shifting toward the Democrats. As long as we wind up 50/50 with Biden holding the tie-breaker I'll be happy. And I think there's a decent chance now that could happen.

Then you are saying that if the Republicans take the Senate and moves legislation to the President for his signature and he veto's it you would have to say that the President is now the obstructionist.?;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I am going to have to disagree with you about this for one reason and one reason only. Islam is not a race it is a ideology. Even Ibrahim Hooper, CAIR spokesperson has stated this. I for one have to agree with Greg Gutfeld ""Race only matters to liberals and racists."
White, Christian, Male, it all goes back to the privilege majority groups have and deny that they have them. Christians want to say they are persecuted in America, but how many gun shops have banned them? How many people even assume that most Christians are terrorist?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Then you are saying that if the Republicans take the Senate and moves legislation to the President for his signature and he veto's it you would have to say that the President is now the obstructionist.?;)

There's a difference between being an obstructionist because the hard right holds your future in their hands so you better not compromise with this president....than a president vetoing bad policies.....

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
White, Christian, Male, it all goes back to the privilege majority groups have and deny that they have them. Christians want to say they are persecuted in America, but how many gun shops have banned them? How many people even assume that most Christians are terrorist?

Good point....:yes:

There's a history of this....such as businesses banning gays, businesses not want to do business with gays and now the not wanting to sell to muslims......not too long ago it was not wanting blacks in their stores, diners etc.....

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

He would then be "the President of No", which could then be also called "divine retribution". :D

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

If they were passing legitimate and popular bills that he simply did not want to pass, potentially because he wanted to harm the party, then yes.

But I don't think there can be any question about the significant difference in quantity and quality of rejection between republicans and democrats during the last 6 years. Would you agree to that?