• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taboo subjects thread

nnmartin

Why have these prohibitions against murder and ritual human sacrifice?

that's a good one.

I say we bring back Old Testament law to have public virginal sacrifices on saturday afternoons. The local supermarket carpark would make a good venue.:D

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is bestiality a sexual orientation?

I can think of some similar taboo questions along the same lines.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Why do so many women have an overwhelming sexual attraction to Kilgore Trout even though it makes them feel dirty?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
It's a depraved sexual perversion the same as incest.

It is also against God's law and anyone who as any decent sense of morality.
God's laws allowed slavery, forcing a woman to marry her rapist, and killing children who talked back to their elders.

Clearly a "decent sense of morality" isn't to be found in "God's law".

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Is bestiality a sexual orientation?

I can think of some similar taboo questions along the same lines.
Not unless that is someone's primary orientation - as in their preferred partner is an animal, not a human.
And even then, it would be considered disordered due to the other issues involved.

You know, this argument got you nowhere in the relevant thread, why bother?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Perversion is determined by current sexual mores, and if it's against God's law why does God create so many people with this orientation?

See Gjallarhorn's post, above.

nnmartin

God's laws allowed slavery, forcing a woman to marry her rapist, and killing children who talked back to their elders.

Clearly a "decent sense of morality" isn't to be found in "God's law".

Do you have any quotes for the woman having to marry her rapist?

If you are talking about God setting the bears on the 42 children (from Kings) then that is acceptable because God was showing his firm but fair authority.

if not - then Biblical quote or reference would be good.

As for slavery - well , in Biblical times the culture was different so that was ok too.

nnmartin

You know, this argument got you nowhere in the relevant thread, why bother?

well, at the risk of being accused of fixation again I will also respond to this post of yours.

Now on the other thread it is a different story - because the main argument running through the majority of it only has 3 players.

Some fresh viewpoints off other members may shed some value onto the issues of morality.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
What constitutes being registered as a sex offender? Is it fair to have your name registered for the rest of your life?
Well, in the state of New York, you can end up on the registry for telling someone of the opposite sex to "go **** him/herself", so context would be key as to how long or whether one should be on the registry. Say a guy solicits a prostitute(another offense that gets you on that registry;) I don't really think that guy should sit on that registry for life. Same with a flasher(unless he habitually flashes children,)

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
If you are talking about God setting the bears on the 42 children (from Kings) then that is acceptable because God was showing his firm but fair authority.
"It's ok because God did it so it must have been ok."
Circular reasoning.

As for slavery - well , in Biblical times the culture was different so that was ok too.
So the culture's different now, therefore stop trying to use biblical mores on a different culture.

Ta da, simple. That's why this argument doesn't work.