• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taboo subjects thread

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
What kind of morals are you referring to here?

biblical morals. Although it really doesn't matter. Following your argument we can disregard biblical morals by saying they were for a different time and place and now we're in a different culture

Rakhel

I think that was Bruno Bettelheim not Freud.
actually it was Leo Kanner who was using Freud's theory that it is the mother's fault.
Bruno Bettleheim just took the idea and ran with it. Comparing Autism to a concentration camp-like environment.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't know if there are subjects that are taboo. I have seen threads about hot topic subjects like abortion, homosexuality, etc. But I see no problem until condemnation creeps in and personal attacks. It spirals down from there: a Christian will condemn homosexuality, for instance, and then a gay person will counterattack with an attack on Christianity. I mostly try to stay away when threads get like that. I have no real quarrel with anyone and I don't really want one. A debate doesn't have to get ugly- but we are people and it will happen. We just have to deal with it.

Wannabe Yogi

actually it was Leo Kanner who was using Freud's theory that it is the mother's fault.
Bruno Bettleheim just took the idea and ran with it. Comparing Autism to a concentration camp-like environment.

It is just one of the many problems of a long history of failure of Freuds psychoanalytic theory. By the way it is now making a comeback in popularity.

Rakhel

It is just one of the many problems of a long history of failure of Freuds psychoanalytic theory. By the way it is now making a comeback in popularity.
Are you kidding me? That is all I need.

I was hit with it by one,and only one, doctor when my second oldest was diagnosed. But now that my second youngest has been diagnosed.
Parents blame themselves enough as it is. They do not need a quack making it worse.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl

My entire grad program thinks Freud is a nut. A nut who started our field, but a nut. I blame the psychiatrists.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I learned from the late Paul Harvey that Sigmund Freud invented and used regularly cocaine. He seemed to have a fixation on anal and phallic subjects. I try to take whatever Freud said with a grain of salt.