• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampons too "woke" for conservatives.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
They certainly do. School day ends 3.10pm. If pupils were let out at 3.05pm and one got injured in some way the school would be in serious trouble. In school hours the school is the primary care giver of the children.
Yeah I could imagine they’d be sued to high heaven in such scenarios

Also your school day ends at 3:10 in the states? That’s an oddly specific time, if you don’t mind me saying

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No. Can you prove she is lying? I suspect most people around here think she's a sickening paragon of honesty (me included)
I've often looked at her as a disappointingly honest and consistent poster. I have always assumed it's a ploy to make me feel bad, tbh.

I console myself at night by assuming her posting name comes from the fact that she's a 300lb trucker named George who has developed a carefully crafted alternative life he presents here to amuse himself whilst downing burgers at roadhouses on his long, lonely hauls.

Keep on truckin' Big George, keep on truckin'...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Also your school day ends at 3:10 in the states? That’s an oddly specific time, if you don’t mind me saying
One of my daughter's ends at 3.12 here in Melbourne...

*nods*

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
One of my daughter's ends at 3.12 here in Melbourne...

*nods*
Lol I ended mine at 1:55 in high school (Qld)
But my high school was the exception. Although oddly enough, it was one of the old school traditional high schools in the area

We started at 8:20am and finished at 1:55
Until we got to grade 11 and 12
Then, with the exception of Mondays, we had a mini break after 1:55 and did a final class until 3:10 in exchange for a day off every week. The thought process behind it was to help students hold down a job better (like I said, old school and traditional.)
I had Fridays off. And yes all my friends from other schools were both highly confused and insanely jealous of my schedule

Secret Chief

Degrow!

UK actually. Varies from school to school. Statutory minimum though. 8.45 start, 4 x 1 hour 20 min lessons, half hour morning break & form, half hour lunch. :)

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I've often looked at her as a disappointingly honest and consistent poster. I have always assumed it's a ploy to make me feel bad, tbh.

I console myself at night by assuming her posting name comes from the fact that she's a 300lb trucker named George who has developed a carefully crafted alternative life he presents here to amuse himself whilst downing burgers at roadhouses on his long, lonely hauls.

Keep on truckin' Big George, keep on truckin'...
How weird. That is exactly how I imagine them to be. Smells of diesel.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
What you're seeing in this thread is the modern US conservative approach to society and government. From their viewpoint, government exists to do only the bare minimum, and most certainly doesn't exist to help people or make their lives better. That's especially the case when it comes to things that any specific conservative doesn't need themselves, such as what we see here.....a man doesn't need tampons, so why should the government take money from him to provide them to school girls?

Basically, their view is one of systemic selfishness.
Exhibit A....kids going hungry in North Dakota isn't North Dakota's problem.

Shaul

Premium Member
Schools have a duty of care, do they not?
If a kid cuts their leg open by accident in school, should the school just ignore them?
Send them home so someone else can help? After all, why should they have first aid. It’s not like the kid is without parents/guardians.

Are schools in the US not a facility where children spend what like 6 or so hours a day in? Do they not take over the role as supervisor, educator and authority for those hours?. Surely they have a responsibility to help children if something comes up? Like say the menstrual cycle appearing without warning? Or again would you just rather the student in question bleeds all over the place. Which is not only a reality, if they happen to be caught unaware (like I said, this happens to even adultsnd who know their schedule) but is also very unhygienic and unsafe for others around them. What if their parents are at work? That makes them stuck at school. Should they be sent away so the school doesn’t have to deal with them?

Like this is going to happen regardless of the students needs, wants, situation and background. Surely it’s better to have something prepared, just in case???
And, one more time... the need isn't the issue. The issue is whether the need should be covered by the school and public funds.

Shaul

Premium Member
Correct, you did not say she is lying. You said "1) I don't necessarily believe you." Your insinuation is quite clear.
Apparently not clear enough since you didn't comprehend it. But that could be attributed to a lack of comprehension ability on your part.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And, one more time... the need isn't the issue. The issue is whether the need should be covered by the school and public funds.
Well then since there are all sorts of good reasons to do so and all that you seem to have is "Eeew! Periods are ooogly!" as an argument against supplying basic supplies then I would say that the issue is settled.

Just reply in any manner at all with another fractally wrong post to agree.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Why shouldn’t they? It’s quite literally a basic need that is felt by at least half of all coed schools. Again, regardless of circumstance, regardless of income, regardless of even medical needs

More and more I find myself grateful to live in a country that actually gives half a damn about its citizens. Like god damn, mate. If your government can’t be bothered to spend a couple extra dollars for this, then I’m sorry, but your government are absolute dogs, as we would say here. Just callous heartless ********
Wtf?????

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It seems like eternity when you're worried about whether or not your pants are going to be soaked with blood when you get up.
I was a super shy teen so even asking to go to the bathroom was super hard for me. Then I'd be so embarrassed that somebody might see my tampon and make fun of me that I'd go to great lengths to hide it somewhere discretely in my clothes or something. Of course all of that is far less embarrassing than walking around with bloody pants all day. I read a statistic recently that said something like 23% of teens don't have access to tampons so I think having them for free in school washrooms is a great - and affordable - idea. Plus it removes the embarrassment factor of having to hide one's tampon on the way to the bathroom. And kids can actually concentrate on school lessons instead of worrying about this stuff.

I'm 43 now and I couldn't care less who sees that I'm holding a tampon. But for me as a teen, that would have been the ultimate embarrassment. Which is kinda ridiculous because it's just a natural function of life.
I was so embarrassed to go down the aisle to get them. I don't understand why it's so taboo.

Shaul

Premium Member
Why shouldn’t they? It’s quite literally a basic need that is felt by at least half of all coed schools.

More and more I’m grateful to live in a country that actually give half a damn about its citizens. Like god damn, mate
Your reasoning is... Why shouldn't they? That isn't persuasive. Remember you are talking about taking money from the public.

Maybe someone else should bear the costs. How about the parents perhaps? Shocking concept, I know! But historically the parents have done so. Or the costs could be covered by a grant. Or maybe the tampon companies could simply donate the supplies. Or concerned citizens could organize a non-profits to cover the costs. Or citizens could just donate the funds voluntarily. Or some other way I haven't brought up. No, please don't argue the merits of any of these alternatives since the point is there are other possible funding mechanisms that could be considered. Alternate funding is used for other "needs" at schools, so, to paraphrase you, Why shouldn't this?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Your reasoning is... Why shouldn't they? That isn't persuasive. Remember you are talking about taking money from the public.

Maybe someone else should bear the costs. How about the parents perhaps? Shocking concept, I know! But historically the parents have done so. Or the costs could be covered by a grant. Or maybe the tampon companies could simply donate the supplies. Or concerned citizens could organize a non-profits to cover the costs. Or citizens could just donate the funds voluntarily. Or some other way I haven't brought up. No, please don't argue the merits of any of these alternatives since the point is there are other possible funding mechanisms that could be considered. Alternate funding is used for other "needs" at schools, so, to paraphrase you, Why shouldn't this?
Last I checked a school has a duty of care. They need to meet the needs of all students under their supervision or be sued to oblivion by angry parents. Yes or no?
This includes health requirements,
Like providing non essential but hygienic items such as say hand wash in bathrooms. You technically don’t need hand soap, it’s very unhygienic if you don’t use it. But you’re not going to die in most cases without it, hopefully.
Tampons fall under the category of hygiene products. Like I said, if a student is caught unaware, which happens to even adults who know their schedule inside and out (so why in the world would you expect a freaking child to know?????? Seriously. Wtf mate????) then the matter falls under basic standards of hygiene and safety. Which the school is absolutely held legally responsible for, even in the states. So again, I ask why wouldn’t they provide basic standards of hygiene products to students?????? Well???
Why???

Also I’m a tax paying citizen
My taxes every year go towards many national programs that I (hopefully) will never use
Including but not limited to, our public health care system (Australia is generally placed 3rd in the world in terms of health care outcomes. Which is way above the US in such systems, which typically ranks around the 40 ish area, by the way. No offence.)
Public transport, public mental health care, childcare, maternity leave, paternity leave, etc
Our government doesn’t have any other incentive to provide such services other than having a happy populace. So why should they bother?
Maybe because it’s their damned duty and job as a supervising entity of a society??

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Why shouldn't this?

Because "alternate funding" is just another phrase stating some schools are allowed to be poorer financially than others, because reasons, forcing them to sell additional products and services to be able to afford things (like fundraisers, and bake sales for instance).

Make em free. We got free tampons and condoms in the military funded by taxpayers, give students this bone.

Shaul

Premium Member
Last I checked a school has a duty of care. They need to meet the needs of all students under the supervision or be sued to oblivion by angry parents. Yes or no?
This includes health requirements,
It isn't clear what you mean by "duty of care". If that means providing health care, then, no, actually. Schools don't have any such obligation. They have a duty to provide a safe environment. Schools would be quite liable if they presumed to provide health care.
Also I’m a tax paying citizen
My taxes every year go towards many national programs that I (hopefully) will never use
Including but not limited to, our public health care system (Australia is generally placed 3rd in the world in terms of health care outcomes. Which is way above the US in such systems, which typically ranks around the 40 ish area, by the way. No offence.)
Public transport, public mental health care, childcare, maternity leave, paternity leave, etc
Our government doesn’t have any other incentive to provide such services other than having a happy populace. So why should they bother?
Maybe be abuse it’s their damned duty as a supervising entity of a society??
Since you don't even live in the US it is curious why you would presume to tell Americans how to run things.