• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampons too "woke" for conservatives.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
And I assume you provided her with what she needed. As should the parents of any such child. Which would make it essential for the parents to provide menstrual products, but not essential for the school. I had students that were diabetics, but the school didn't provide them with test strips and medicine.

Oh, and I noticed you haven't explained how it is essential for the all boys school to supply tampons.
The typical school that I work in has a first aid room, with appropriately qualified staff and a range of items for pupil needs.

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
The money is available, and it's just a tiny fraction of the surplus. That's what that shows.
"Available"? Having taken too much money from the people doesn't justify spending it. The expenditure may be essential or elective. If it is elective it might still be done but it must be done with more considerations.

Shaul

Premium Member
I had a classmate in the fourth grade that had a short leg and wore a special shoe.
Therefore the school should provide free shoes for everybody.
I had a classmate that wore glasses.
Therefore schools should provide free glasses and eye care for everybody.
I had a classmate that often forgot to bring his lunch.
Therefore schools should provide free food, breakfast, lunch and dinner for all students, plus their families so they won't feel "shame".
I had a classmate had to walk to school(gasp!).
Therefore schools should buy every family a car. And if there is nobody in the family that can drive it should pay for a chauffeur too.
Just because a student has a "need" doesn't mean that the school must or should bear the burden of remedying that need. It depends on the particular need.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I had a classmate in the fourth grade that had a short leg and wore a special shoe.
Therefore the school should provide free shoes for everybody.
I had a classmate that wore glasses.
Therefore schools should provide free glasses and eye care for everybody.
I had a classmate that often forgot to bring his lunch.
Therefore schools should provide free food, breakfast, lunch and dinner for all students, plus their families so they won't feel "shame".
I had a classmate had to walk to school(gasp!).
Therefore schools should buy every family a car. And if there is nobody in the family that can drive it should pay for a chauffeur too.
Just because a student has a "need" doesn't mean that the school must or should bear the burden of remedying that need. It depends on the particular need.
Those needs as you say, are often medical in nature. My schools, public by the way, provided some wheelchair access and various facilities for special needs kids. Even though such children are usually schooled in public and private schools that are specifically catered for special needs children. We call it, not being a heartless *******.

The menstrual cycle is a fact of life. Its going to happen whether you like it or not. It’s not a matter of only a couple of students, it’s at least half the school population in coed schools.
And fun fact it happens without warning. Sometimes you are unprepared. This happens to even adults!
Kids won’t know what to do unless you teach them and given the horror stories I’ve heard over the years about the US “sex education” (if you can even call it that), I have no real faith in that happening. Providing a few tampons is the bare minimum in that situation, seems to me.
It’s not a matter of missing lunch due to lack of funds, which is indeed a sad reality that I would hope people would want to help kids with????!!!
(Though it is rather worrying that US schools apparently don’t provide free food for kids if they need it. Is that right?? If so, geez. Heartless much?)
It’s a matter of a reality faced by half the population at any given time. It happens in all circumstances. Not a matter of funds, not a matter of medical needs, but a fact of life

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
Those needs as you say, are often medical in nature. My schools, public by the way, provided some wheelchair access and various facilities for special needs kids. Even though such children are usually schooled in public and private schools that are specifically catered for special needs children. We call it, not being a heartless *******.

The menstrual cycle is a fact of life. Its going to happen whether you like it or not. It’s not a matter of only a couple of students, it’s at least half the school population in coed schools.
And fun fact it happens without warning. Sometimes you are unprepared. This happens to even adults!
Kids won’t know what to do unless you teach them and given the horror stories I’ve heard over the years about the US “sex education” (if you can even call it that), I have no real faith in that happening. Providing a few tampons is the bare minimum in that situation, seems to me.
It’s not a matter of missing lunch due to lack of funds, which is indeed a sad reality that I would hope people would want to help kids with????!!!
(Though it is rather worrying that US schools apparently don’t provide free food for kids if they need it. Is that right?? If so, geez. Heartless much?)
It’s a matter of a reality faced by half the population at any given time. It happens in all circumstances. Not a matter of funds, not a matter of medical needs, but a fact of life
Completely ignoring the point. It isn't whether something is a need. The point is whether it is essential that the school is the one that should take care of that need or whether someone else should.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Completely ignoring the point. It isn't whether something is a need. The point is whether it is essential that the school is the one that should take care of that need or whether someone else should.
Schools have a duty of care, do they not?
If a kid cuts their leg open by accident in school, should the school just ignore them?
Send them home so someone else can help? After all, why should they have first aid. It’s not like the kid is without parents/guardians.

Are schools in the US not a facility where children spend what like 6 or so hours a day in? Do they not take over the role as supervisor, educator and authority for those hours?. Surely they have a responsibility to help children if something comes up? Like say the menstrual cycle appearing without warning? Or again would you just rather the student in question bleeds all over the place. Which is not only a reality, if they happen to be caught unaware (like I said, this happens to even adults who know their schedule) but is also very unhygienic and unsafe for others around them. What if their parents are at work? That makes them stuck at school. Should they be sent away so the school doesn’t have to deal with them?

Like this is going to happen regardless of the students needs, wants, situation and background. Surely it’s better to have something prepared, just in case???

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Schools have a duty of care, do they not?
If a kid cuts their leg open by accident in school, should the school just ignore them?
Send them home so someone else can help? After all, why should they have first aid. It’s not like the kid is without parents/guardians.

Are schools in the US not a facility where children spend what like 6 or so hours a day in? Do they not take over the role as supervisor, educator and authority for those hours?. Surely they have a responsibility to help children if something comes up? Like say the menstrual cycle appearing without warning? Or again would you just rather the student in question bleeds all over the place. Which is not only a reality, if they happen to be caught unaware (like I said, this happens to even adults who know their schedule) but is also very unhygienic and unsafe for others around them. What if their parents are at work?
Like this is going to happen regardless of the students needs, wants, situation and background. Surely it’s better to have something prepared, just in case???
Plus it's way more likely for irregular flow and unpredictable cycles to happen in children and teens because, like everything, their hormones are in flux. Neverminding the better than two in ten women who get menstrual affecting syndromes such as endometriosis and polycistic ovarian syndrome which commonly has irregular *heavy* flow and irregular *heavy* cramping.

And it's well established that people with these conditions are likely to start periods way early (I was one of those 8 years olds). Thats way more kids than those who need accessibility aids in schools yet is provided in all schools, at much higher cost than some midol/pamprin and pads.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
"Available"? Having taken too much money from the people doesn't justify spending it. The expenditure may be essential or elective. If it is elective it might still be done but it must be done with more considerations.
Yes, available. And only a tiny fraction of the total surplus is needed. So they can return the rest to the taxpayers or whatever it is you want to do with it.

You don't get to say it's unaffordable when it clearly is easily affordable.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Plus it's way more likely for irregular flow and unpredictable cycles to happen in children and teens because, like everything, their hormones are in flux. Neverminding the better than two in ten women who get menstrual affecting syndromes such as endometriosis and polycistic ovarian syndrome which commonly has irregular *heavy* flow and irregular *heavy* cramping.

And it's well established that people with these conditions are likely to start periods way early (I was one of those 8 years olds). Thats way more kids than those who need accessibility aids in schools yet is provided in all schools, at much higher cost than some midol/pamprin and pads.
Exactly!
Expecting kids and teens to prepare themselves and know exactly what to do is frankly unrealistic. I had comprehensive mandatory sex education that went into graphic detail exactly what was going to happen and I wasn’t prepared. Though I knew exactly what to do when I was caught unawares. Mostly due to my mandatory education

Pointing to, again, what I’ve heard about the deplorably unsound sex education in the states, I’d imagine a kid would think they were dying the first time it happens to them. Never mind that they’re going to be relying on their peers for advice and help (like we all did as kids, but again, I had the benefit of proper sex education as well.)
That’s not a good combination at all

Secret Chief

Degrow!

Yes but you are assuming one gives a **** about others in society.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They certainly do. School day ends 3.10pm. If pupils were let out at 3.05pm and one got injured in some way the school would be in serious trouble. In school hours the school is the primary care giver of the children.
Yes, but only if that care does not include tampons or other product necessary for female hygiene. Why? Because schools are dads from 1950's sitcoms.