• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple Visits

Maya3

This last Saturday I spent the night at a friend's place and let her know that in the morning I would be leaving very early to go to temple. This was a friend who had been wanting to come with me for a while. She's not religious but she is curious about religions. She said that she wouldn't be getting up early enough to go with me, which I said was fine. No pressure from me. I figured she'd come along when she was ready.

Well just as I'm about to walk out the door the next morning she pops out of her room and asks if she can come. I say sure, I'd be grateful for the company.

We talk the whole trip and I explain a few things about Temple Etiquette and she seemed excited but nervous.

We go into the temple and I perform my regular prayers and routine, occasionally explaining things to my friend. We sit and watch the abhishekam. At the end we are offered the lamp, but when she is offered she looks confused and doesn't know what to do so the volunteer offering the lamp moves on. I tell her it's okay, because she looks concerned. I felt a little bad that I didn't' prepare her for it. I'm not used to being the one showing people the temple. I'm supposed to be the newbie :D

Anyway, I sit a pray for about 15 minutes before turning towards the entrance where my friend is standing and waiting. I notice that her eyes are red and she is crying a bit. I try to comfort her. She says, "No, I'm fine. It's just such a beautiful place and there's such a beautiful spiritual energy here." We leave and once she composes herself we talk all about Hinduism on the way home and I try to clear up some misconceptions.

I'm happy that she had a positive experience. I think more people need to know that Hinduism isn't "weird" or "evil" even if they don't decide to become Hindu their positive experiences can only help understanding grow.

:camp:

That is lovely.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Kadavul Hindu temple on the island of Kauai is worth a visit for any Hindu visiting there. Firstly, it's not a typical Hindu temple. It's the monastery/aadheenam's temple and as such is an extension of the monastery complex. However, it is open to Hindus or non-Hindus for respectful worship each morning from 9 until 10:30, and then for meditation until 12. for the daily Siva puja. For Hindus on specific pilgrimage there, a call ahead may mean the monastics could invite you to other special events, such as Sivaratri, or early morning homas, but it's not just wide open like other temples in the west.

Here are a few unique features:
The priests are all sannyasins, or monastics working on becoming sannyasins.
The presiding deity is Nataraja. Ganesha and Muruga are also there.
There are no family rites done, as it's not that kind of temple. No weddings, etc.
It's a place of pilgrimage, like Amarnath, Tirupati. It takes some effort to reach, as with other pilgrimage sites. But it's also less crowded because of it.

It's a peaceful, respectful place, as are the monastery grounds. Visitors are welcome to go on a grounds tour once a week, if preparations are made in advance.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

I can vouch for the Kadavul Hindu Temple, I have personally visited the temple 3 times.

It is wonderfully beautiful as is the Holy Dham of Kauai. I am also a big fan of the Hawaiian Island chain, I literally love Hawaii (but not as much as I love India, and I am pinning VERY badly to go back to my second home Mother India again soon, I am literally in physical pinning pain as a lover pins for his sweet heart).

But back to The Temple. I am only mentioning it, because I want to tell the members of this forum about something that happened to me at that temple. I am very shy to speak about it. But I am getting old. I think I should say, because while even I cannot explain, but there are VERY powerful humans in this world. There are many also. Believe it.

I do not even know how to explain. But I once met a Guru of a member of this forum there, who is a Guru now gone. It was in a room. At that temple.

My wife was with me.

We only said a couple of words, the Guru then just looked and ... well, suddenly I lost "control" of my body in the sense that an electricity shot right through me, no I am not that sort of person who plays these sort of games on myself. Then my entire self was unable to control a very strange shaking. I could barely "hold down" to the floor, I thought I was going to "shoot up and through the roof". The electricity was really exploding, no voice could come out of my mouth. Then everything turned white. I knew he did it.

It was over in about (actually I lost sense of time, not sure how long) perhaps one or two minutes.

All we could do is thank that Guru.

After we left, I was stunned. My wife said she had a conversation, and even I spoke according to her - but I do not recall a single word. All I knew was next after that shock I was outside in the warm Hawaiian sun, and was still stunned.

I have no idea. That is all I am going to say about it, no more.

Hindu Devas are real.

Om Namah Sivaya

GoodbyeDave

Although not a Hindu, I keep meaning to visit the "Neasden Temple" in London
The Mandir

You can see that English schools make sure that children learn to respect all religions:
School Visits
There are even a few Muslim girls in the picture.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Although not a Hindu, I keep meaning to visit the "Neasden Temple" in London
The Mandir

That temple is run by a large well respected Hindu organization called BAPS. They're known world wide for building beautiful temples. They also do great interfaith and tolerance projects promoting Hinduism as a tolerant loving faith.

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
That temple is run by a large well respected Hindu organization called BAPS. They're known world wide for building beautiful temples. They also do great interfaith and tolerance projects promoting Hinduism as a tolerant loving faith.

I know one individual who might not necessarily agree (cough...eggyolk...cough). :p
jk...

Maya3

I didn't know this. I have seen the name, but I have not paid much attention to it.
There is a temple in Queens, maybe I should go take a look one day.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I didn't know this. I have seen the name, but I have not paid much attention to it.
There is a temple in Queens, maybe I should go take a look one day.

Maya

The only one I've been to is the one in Delhi. Massive, but mostly a tourist/promotion deal ... part of the good publicity they provide. Our prime minister helped officially open the one in Toronto.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I do not even know how to explain. But I once met a Guru of a member of this forum there, who is a Guru now gone. It was in a room. At that temple.

My wife was with me.

Om Namah Sivaya

Nice story. Thanks. I could tell a few but I won't. :)

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
The presiding deity is the Guru, no? It is in Delhi.

What is in Delhi? And I'm not sure becuase its not like any typical temple. Just a bunch of murtis of swamis and Gurus and the only Hindu Gods I saw were Ganesh,Shiva,Paravati and Ram,Lakshman,Sita and Hanuman. I know they had Lord Krishna as well but the pannels (sort of like door pannels) were closed for viewing at the time.

-excuse the spelling..im tired lol

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What is in Delhi? And I'm not sure becuase its not like any typical temple. Just a bunch of murtis of swamis and Gurus and the only Hindu Gods I saw were Ganesh,Shiva,Paravati and Ram,Lakshman,Sita and Hanuman. I know they had Lord Krishna as well but the pannels (sort of like door pannels) were closed for viewing at the time.

-excuse the spelling..im tired lol

I meant that in the Delhi temple, the presiding deity is Swaminarayan, the founder. So although it's Vaishnavite, it's more primarily a Guru based organisation.

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
I meant that in the Delhi temple, the presiding deity is Swaminarayan, the founder. So although it's Vaishnavite, it's more primarily a Guru based organisation.

I'd assume it's the same in Toronto. To be honest when I went I was more amazed by the architecture and wasn't focused on praying..shame on me I guess

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is a weird phenomena going on at the temple I go to regularly. I've had it confirmed by a few others. It goes like this: The more people there are, the less likely you are to physically bump into one. The less people, the more likely. Today, and yesterday, in the AM when I go, there is no crowd. Less than 10 each day. Still, yesterday and today, this physical body managed to bump into a fellow devotee.

Yesterday it was at the small Ganesha shrine, and a man was standing at the corner to pray. Customarily, it's easy to sneak by to circumambulate, but on no, just as I go to step past, he shifts over and 'bump'.

Today it was a friend prostrating. I was just walking near when he suddenly pops up, and tries to make his way over to the office. But we do the 'You go this way, you go that way' dance until we collide. At that time we are the only two people in the entire temple besides our two priests.

Has anyone else observed this 'inverse' phenomenon?

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
There is a weird phenomena going on at the temple I go to regularly. I've had it confirmed by a few others. It goes like this: The more people there are, the less likely you are to physically bump into one. The less people, the more likely. Today, and yesterday, in the AM when I go, there is no crowd. Less than 10 each day. Still, yesterday and today, this physical body managed to bump into a fellow devotee.

Yesterday it was at the small Ganesha shrine, and a man was standing at the corner to pray. Customarily, it's easy to sneak by to circumambulate, but on no, just as I go to step past, he shifts over and 'bump'.

Today it was a friend prostrating. I was just walking near when he suddenly pops up, and tries to make his way over to the office. But we do the 'You go this way, you go that way' dance until we collide. At that time we are the only two people in the entire temple besides out two priests.

Has anyone else observed this 'inverse' phenomenon?

Perhaps with less people about the gravitational pull of any one person is stronger. In a big crowd all those energies are bouncing off everyone else, keeping people apart - like trying to put two magnets together.

I'm not a scientist though. :rolleyes:;)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I paid 2 unexpected visits to a different Temple over the last two days.

Well, I guess only the first was unexpected.

My husband had to go on a business trip about 1.5 hours away for a two day conference. He didn't want to commute to days in a row so he got a hotel room and I decided to go along with him. For curiosity sake I looked up online to see if there were any temples in the area.

Lo and behold, about 10 minutes from the conference was a temple I had visited month and months ago once, right after we had first moved to the state.

It's a beautiful temple. I remember not expecting to see such beautiful (and enormous) murtis since up until that point my only experience had been the smaller brass ones at my old temple. The temple website only features photos of their smaller brass murtis (that sit next to the larger marble ones)

Once I knew, I packed some temple appropriate garb, and since the hotel wouldn't let me check in when we arrived (too early) I spent the morning at temple!

It was really nice partially because I wasn't expecting it. I figured I'd spend the whole time on the internet, or reading.
The next morning, after checkout, I went again! I figured since I never get a chance to go regularly due to the distance I should take advantage of it.

I have a confession to make though. When I arrived the first time and sat for meditation I was the only one besides the two priests who was there. The two priests began speaking to one another in Hindi. Now, I only understood a small portion of what they said, but it was fascinating to listen to and see how much I could pick up. They were discussing the finances of the temple, that much I am sure. I shouldn't have ease-dropped, but in fairness most of their secrets are safe. ;)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Cute, FS. You're becoming like me ... "Never lose an opportunity to enter a Hindu temple." and you always take a look, no matter where you travel. :)

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste Fireside,

Wonderful sharing your temple visit!

SIDDHIVINAYAK TEMPLE MUMBAI

Namaste

I know it sounds odd to add a "temple visit" to this thread for a temple I have never visited, but I almost feel I have!

Let me explain.

Tonight after work, I was watching a T.V. show, which then depicted scenes in the show of a beautiful temple, most of the scenes were at the entrance, an inner courtyard but the main murti was not shown.

"What a beautiful temple!" I said to my wife.

"Oh that is the Siddhi Vinayak Temple in Bombay!" she says, "I have been there!"

She goes on to describe the entrance, courtyard, where she worshipped a Nandi near the entrance from the courtyard to the main temple ... she gave me much to relish.

She said Siddhivinayak was not tall, about 2 or 3 feet only and black stone.

What is interesting is, when I then looked up pictures of the Ganesha murti there at that temple, Vinayaka was not black but orange. I showed these internet pictures to her, but she insisted that back when she visited this temple several times, the Murti was Black, no question about it, and Riddhi and Siddhi consorts of Ganesha were with Siddhivinayak and that "this Ganesha is actually a Realized Ganesha".

Her personal Lord is Ganesha, so she must know. She literally let me "visit" the temple! (even though I haven't been there).

Has anyone been there, and is Siddhivinayak Black, or black but painted orange with kumkum?

Om Namah Sivaya