• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple Visits

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Namaste Fireside,

Wonderful sharing your temple visit!

SIDDHIVINAYAK TEMPLE MUMBAI

Namaste

I know it sounds odd to add a "temple visit" to this thread for a temple I have never visited, but I almost feel I have!

Let me explain.

Tonight after work, I was watching a T.V. show, which then depicted scenes in the show of a beautiful temple, most of the scenes were at the entrance, an inner courtyard but the main murti was not shown.

"What a beautiful temple!" I said to my wife.

"Oh that is the Siddhi Vinayak Temple in Bombay!" she says, "I have been there!"

She goes on to describe the entrance, courtyard, where she worshipped a Nandi near the entrance from the courtyard to the main temple ... she gave me much to relish.

She said Siddhivinayak was not tall, about 2 or 3 feet only and black stone.

What is interesting is, when I then looked up pictures of the Ganesha murti there at that temple, Vinayaka was not black but orange. I showed these internet pictures to her, but she insisted that back when she visited this temple several times, the Murti was Black, no question about it, and Riddhi and Siddhi consorts of Ganesha were with Siddhivinayak and that "this Ganesha is actually a Realized Ganesha".

Her personal Lord is Ganesha, so she must know. She literally let me "visit" the temple! (even though I haven't been there).

Has anyone been there, and is Siddhivinayak Black, or black but painted orange with kumkum?

Om Namah Sivaya

Vanakkam ShivafanJi !

I've been to SiddhiVinayak many times last year when I was living there, the mandir is quite beautiful but it's also VERY crowed, and big bunch of merchants settled there to sell puja items xD

From what I've seen, SiddhiVinayak have always been red. I've looked up on the temple website but haven't found any information... Maybe by researching a little we can find the answer ?

The darshan is very powerful. The priest take great care of GanapatiJi, His murti is each week regularly energized with puja and abhisekam, there are always chanting each morning, afternoon and evening with biiiig drums, it's awesome !

Truly, of all the temples and holy places I've been to India, it's certainly in the top 5 regarding powerful darshan. Even without seeing the murti, when you go near the sanctum, you can feel GaneshJi, almost physically, fill the whole place. It was incredible.

the temple website offers a free live darshan service, so you can watch the rituals and offerings even if you're not there:

Shree Siddhivinayak

Your wife is an awesome woman btw ! :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I'd assume it's the same in Toronto. To be honest when I went I was more amazed by the architecture and wasn't focused on praying..shame on me I guess
And whom would you have prayed, to their Parabrahman, Sahajanand Swami aka Ghanshyam Pande of Village Chhapaiya, Uttar Pradesh?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
She goes on to describe the entrance, courtyard, where she worshipped a Nandi near the entrance from the courtyard to the main temple ... she gave me much to relish.
Is there a Nandi at Siddhivinayaka? What would a Nandi do at a Ganesha temple leaving his place at the Shiva temples? There is sure a huge silver mouse, Mushaka, in front of Vinayaka, in whose ear devotees whisper their wishes and he conveys it to his master. My wife and daughter-in-law whispered their desires and the result was Amogh, now two year old. The family wanted a Ganesha name for him and selected Amogh, though I don't think it is a typical Ganesha name (but who can debate with the whole family).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is there a Nandi at Siddhivinayaka? What would a Nandi do at a Ganesha temple leaving his place at the Shiva temples? There is sure a huge silver mouse, Mushaka, in front of Vinayaka, in whose ear devotees whisper their wishes and he conveys it to his master. My wife and daughter-in-law whispered their desires and the result was Amogh, now two year old. The family wanted a Ganesha name for him and selected Amogh, though I don't think it is a typical Ganesha name (but who can debate with the whole family).

I've seen a few temples where the vahana and deity didn't match as per tradition. But they are rare. Never been there, but it's quite possible.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Is there a Nandi at Siddhivinayaka? What would a Nandi do at a Ganesha temple leaving his place at the Shiva temples? There is sure a huge silver mouse, Mushaka, in front of Vinayaka, in whose ear devotees whisper their wishes and he conveys it to his master.

I haven't seen a Nandi there either... There is two Mushaka, the big silver one, and a small gold one that is only displayed on tuesday for the big pûja.

There is also a Hanuman mandir inside but... No nandi :sarcastic

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
From what I've seen, SiddhiVinayak have always been red.
It is a heavy coat of sindoor otherwise the idol perhaps is of black stone indicated by the two protuberances near the head, which after all belongs to an elephant. The second image is not from Siddhivinayaka.

wxm6s86xg6m1xrzy.D.0.Sidhivinayak.jpg
stock-photo-nakhonsawan-thailand-september-people-whisper-to-mouse-ear-in-order-to-transfers-to-ganesh-in-155873936.jpg

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
opps, I removed the first link which was another Siddhivinayak temple but left the second.

Lots of Siddhivinayak temples, found one also drivable distance from where I live to visit!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
They are all lesser Gods for them. The Parabrahman is Swami Sahajananda aka Ghanshyam Pande of Village Chhapaiya, Uttar Pradesh.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
This past week on my way to visit family I stopped in at this temple :

Hindu Samaj Temple of Mahwah, New Jersey - Programs / Events

It's a beautiful building, inside and out, with murals painted on the interior walls and a fountain just before you enter the temple section. I arrived early (I prefer to to go to temple early) and as I entered I encountered an empty information desk. I wasn't quite sure at first where to go. There is a museum/cultural center section and then the temple. I wandered around a bit until I heard two voices and follow them to the fountain where two gentlemen were discussing some matter of maintenance. I think I accidentally startled them, but I asked where I should put my shoes and they politely directed me.

There was no one in the temple except one other older woman, deep in her devotions and two priests, each performing quiet rituals. One in front of Ganesh and the other in front of Durga.

I think the temple must be North Indian style judging by the architecture and the white marble murtis.

The murtis are huge and most of them are on a platform standing a row along one wall. Shiva Parivar is alone at one end of the hall and Ram Parivar is at the opposite end.

I took a seat in front of the velvet rope separating the devotees from the platform. I sat in front of Lakshmi Narayan.

While the temple was quite beautiful I confess I had a difficult time focusing there. There is no division between the deities. They don't have their own shrines so there's no visual barrier between them. I did my best to focus though.

I had brought flowers, but was unsure how to offer them to Lakshmi-Narayan because of the rope and also there was no tray for me to set them in. I had just decided I would put them on the Hundi box once I was done praying when the priest attending Durga got up and approached me. He kindly gestured at the flowers and asked me who I wanted to offer them to. He took them and placed the blossoms on various parts of the murtis. I was happy that I as able to see them offered. Once he was done, the priest walked over to the side of the room and sat in front of the prasad offerings. I spent a few more minutes in quiet thought before getting up and going to take prasad. The priest smiled kindly at me, which made me feel good. (It always makes me feel less like an outsider when the priests are warm).

I took prasad and left.

I am definitely glad I went but I will say it is a tricky place if you are easily distracted. Still, I would go again during a festival because it must be beautiful all decorated with the murals.

:camp:

Maya3

Thank you for sharing.
It is always nice to hear how other temples are and peoples experiences there.
It is really nice when you feel welcomed by the priests.

Maya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. but I will say it is a tricky place if you are easily distracted.
If you are worshiping Narayana and Shiva steals your attention for a few moments, is that a distraction? No one knows Narayana better than Shiva (I would delight in all). Oh, yes. I forgot that I am an advaitist atheist. ;)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
If you are worshiping Narayana and Shiva steals your attention for a few moments, is that a distraction? No one knows Narayana better than Shiva (I would delight in all). Oh, yes. I forgot that I am an advaitist atheist. ;)

I suppose ultimately no, it's no problem. It's more an issue of my distracted mind. The more divided it is the less it can devote to any one deity. While they are ultimately one, I am not quite as spiritually evolved as some. I need a little Maya still ;)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I suppose ultimately no, it's no problem. It's more an issue of my distracted mind. The more divided it is the less it can devote to any one deity. While they are ultimately one, I am not quite as spiritually evolved as some. I need a little Maya still ;)

I'm the same as you, preferring separate shrines. As much as on some ultimate level, they may be all the same, they're not if you tune into them, at least that's how I feel.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
This weekend I was in Toronto with friends and had the chance to visit this temple:Canada Toronto Sridurka Hindu Temple

It was under construction so it was a little in disarray, but even then it was one of the most beautiful temple interiors I'd ever seen. It's South Indian so everything is sculpted and painted in bright colors.

I went right when they opened so other than a small private puja happening in the corner I was alone. The main shrine for Durga was still curtained but I settled myself down in front of Lakshmi after doing pradakshina and meditated/enjoyed the peaceful environment. This would definitly be a temple you'd want to attend for festivals. Though the lights were off, I could tell that lights were strung around the shrines and up along the ceiling. I am happy I had a chance to see it. It was so ornate I wish I had brought a sketchbook!

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

I am NOT saying I am going to do this. Because, it would involve a level of commitment, and time, and socializing ... that I may not be able to commit.

But in the back of my mind, my funny brain wants to advertise forming a "Temple Tours" club where once a month (minimum) all the members (which all are invited, "Western" or "Eastern" or anyone who connects with Hinduism) meets and visits a preselected temple (on a list of temples in a published schedule) and we all wear the same "logo" of some sort, could be a neck scarf or something the same color so that everyone who sees us entering will know we are a group or club, we respectfully visit the temple, bow, probably arrive together say 10 minutes before a puja, each gives a little donation like $5 dollars from each member to the temple or hundi, then stick around for 20 minutes or so or just have darshan, perhaps a temple official might want to tell us something about the temple or there might even be prashad, we enjoy the temple as a group, then we go home and remember and next month another temple.

Maybe include a Jain ur Sikh or Buddhist temple too.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In about 1990 or so, thereabouts, I spent a week in Toronto, and went to maybe 8 temples total. I remember writing a short article for Hinduism Today on it. That was before the refugee and mass immigration from Sri Lanka, especially but other places too.

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
In about 1990 or so, thereabouts, I spent a week in Toronto, and went to maybe 8 temples total. I remember writing a short article for Hinduism Today on it. That was before the refugee and mass immigration from Sri Lanka, especially but other places too.

Please come again, your visit is expected