• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple Visits

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I wasn't there. But ....

'Rude' varies culturally, and by circumstance.
Some people, priest or otherwise, are just that type, sort of standoffish, and they do it with everyone, not just you.

So we never quite know. My attitude to all this changed dramatically from the study or observation of people with Aspergers. There can e lots of hidden reasons for lots of behaviours. You mentioned one of them.

Anyways. Best wishes on it. I'm back volunteering at my temple too, after a 4 year break, but generally I'm there alone. Not too many people to deal with.

Maya3

:)
Sorry, I meant him, not Jim, I've been on my IPad all weekend.
You are right, it might have been a completely different reason.

Good point Vinayaka, Aspergers is not that uncommon.

Maya

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
:)
Sorry, I meant him, not Jim, I've been on my IPad all weekend.
You are right, it might have been a completely different reason.

Good point Vinayaka, Aspergers is not that uncommon.

Maya

lol. Oh, okay. I thought you were trying to use a moniker for him. Gotcha.;):eek:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Today on my way home I visited this Temple in NJ (Mute your speakers!): ::Sri Venkateswara Temple::

It's a already a stunning temple inside and out but they seem to be adding an extension too. I didn't have much time to spend, but I introduced myself to all the deities. (There are a LOT at this temple) Sat before Lakshmi for a while, offered fruit , look teertham and then left. I got the customary curious glance, but also lots of smiles.

One thing that struck me was the number of Devis there were. There was Sri Devi, Budevi, Durga, Durga again with Laskhmi and Saraswati, Amba, Radha and Lakshmi-Naryan.

Also, can another more knowledgeable Shakta explain the difference between Sri Devi and Lakshmi? They seem to have the same iconography.

:camp:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Durga again with Laskhmi and Saraswati,

The Tridevi, counterpart to the Trimurti.

50a9045144d75_zps30a2be75.jpg

impresion_de_tridevi_6_x_4_fotos-rb6b1ded11b8b4d7aa2ac02c15e4f3006_w2c_8byvr_512.jpg

I have the first pic framed, I think the second is not far off. :D

Btw, I've been told about the temple. I hear it is indeed beautiful. Bridgewater is a bit of a hike for me, but it may be worth it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Also, can another more knowledgeable Shakta explain the difference between Sri Devi and Lakshmi? They seem to have the same iconography.
I am an atheist Shakta, Vaishnava and Shaiva. Here is what I get from Wikipedia - "Sridevi is the spiritual world or energy, called the Prakriti. Most people are mistaken that they are separate beings although they are one, that is, Lakshmi. Lakshmi is the power of Vishnu.[citation needed]. Mahalakshmi's presence is also found on Sri Venkateswara (at Tirumala) or Vishnu's chest, at the heart." Mahalaxmi is, I think, a little different - i.e., a Goddess in her own right, a form of Adi Shakti like Durga, which does not require the support of Lord Vishnu.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Today on my way home I visited this Temple in NJ (Mute your speakers!): ::Sri Venkateswara Temple::

I would love to go there, but I fear the ride is more than my back and leg can handle. I know the area, I used to work in Flemington years ago. The traffic on I-287 and in the Bridgewater area is a nightmare. I noticed on their website that the temple is open from 8:30 am through 8:30 pm even on weekdays. I think that's rare for a temple? Most of the temples in this area have hours roughly 7 am to 8 pm weekdays, all day on weekends and holidays. There is a small temple near-by work my friend told me about. It's Ved Mandir in Milltown (NJ). He thought it had the same all day hours, but I checked, it is only open 5 pm - 8 pm. Even though it is about 20-30 minutes (after work traffic) in the opposite direction of home, one day I may stop by.

Last edited:

Chakra

Premium Member
I am an atheist Shakta, Vaishnava and Shaiva. Here is what I get from Wikipedia - "Sridevi is the spiritual world or energy, called the Prakriti. Most people are mistaken that they are separate beings although they are one, that is, Lakshmi. Lakshmi is the power of Vishnu.[citation needed]. Mahalakshmi's presence is also found on Sri Venkateswara (at Tirumala) or Vishnu's chest, at the heart." Mahalaxmi is, I think, a little different - i.e., a Goddess in her own right, a form of Adi Shakti like Durga, which does not require the support of Lord Vishnu.

Is Mahalakshmi still the wife of Lord Vishnu or a goddess completely different and supreme in her own right?

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Is Mahalakshmi still the wife of Lord Vishnu or a goddess completely different and supreme in her own right?

The form of Lakshmi known as MahaLakshmi is worshiped in her own right. Perhaps in this form she keeps Vishnu in her chest;)

Chakra

Premium Member
The form of Lakshmi known as MahaLakshmi is worshiped in her own right. Perhaps in this form she keeps Vishnu in her chest;)

Ah, I see. So that's is the difference between Vaishnavism and Shaktism regarding Mahalakshmi. Thanks for clarification.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
This evening I went to temple to participate in the VaraLakshmi Puja for the first time. I did a short, personal puja at home in the morning and then fasted for the day, then in the evening I went to the Mandir.

The nice thing about this Temple is that the priest will explain what to do (and what everything means) as he is doing it. The sanskrit is still a mystery, but he explained the meaning of certain rituals and even added stories to go along with them. It was really helpful for a beginner like me.

I didn't realize this, but there is a point at the end where the husband is supposed to tie a yellow thread around the wife's wrist. I was alone, of course, but one of the female volunteers kindly approached me and tied mine for me as well as gave me kumkum tilak.

(I told my husband about this when I got home and he legitimately felt bad - I told him to seriously not worry about it. I didn't know either. It wasn't a big deal:))

English is not the priest's strongest language but he did a great job of trying to explain complicated religious ideas with what he knew so I made a point to thank him afterward for explaining it all. As a language learner myself, I can sympathize.

I'm happy that my first Varalakshmi puja was a guided one because I think it will help me with my morning pujas at home.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't realize this, but there is a point at the end where the husband is supposed to tie a yellow thread around the wife's wrist. I was alone, of course, but one of the female volunteers kindly approached me and tied mine for me as well as gave me kumkum tilak.

(I told my husband about this when I got home and he legitimately felt bad - I told him to seriously not worry about it. I didn't know either. It wasn't a big deal:))

That's a good man there who thought so highly of what it means to you. ;)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
That's a good man there who thought so highly of what it means to you. ;)

Oh I know it. He's very open minded about it and I"m very lucky because of it. "If it was important to you I would go. You come with me on Christmas Eve to church, so it's only fair."