• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple Visits

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Yesterday afternoon I decided to attend a temple in my area that I hadn't been to for a while (for a variety of personal reasons I've been attending a different temple). I had recieved an email newsletter from them informing me of a special two hour program on Swami Vivekananda - a person I know of, but don't really know much about. I thought it would be a nice opportunity to visit again and see if I still have the same reservations about the Temple itself.

The program itself was quite informative and there was a lot of Bengali music! :) I'm glad I went. Afterward there was the evening aarti and then snacks in the basement.

Just as the lamp was being passed around a woman came up to me and asked, "How do you know this? (aarti prayer)"

I explained I volunteered for a long time at a temple in Indiana and slowly learned. I also tried to explain that I didn't actually know all the words, I just sung what I knew.

She just smiled and said, "Yeah, it's difficult even for us!"

After that, in the basement, I was approached by an older gentleman who asked me if I came to temple often. I confessed I had been absent for several months. He thanked me for coming.

I will say the sense of community is strong at this temple. Maybe I should start coming more often.

:camp:

Maya3

A very nice meeting happened yesterday at our temple.
We chant Hanuman Chalisa on Tuesday's. Yesterday there were just a few of us and no harmonium, just a small group of people chanting together.
There was an Indian couple joining us, maybe in their 50's-60's? It´s hard to tell how old they were.
But afterwards they asked us questions and it was obvious how impressed and happy they were. As I´ve mentioned before our temple is very diverse. The majority of us are non Indian.
The husband asked if there is a lot of Hinduism in America now. His eyes rounding in surprise.
The lady who led the Chalisa´s told him that we celebrate all the Hindu holidays.
"Even Shivaratri?" he asked.
"Yes all night long"

Finally he asked if we knew what Namaste means :)
I think it is safe to say that we blew their minds.
And I think we will see this lovely couple regularly.

:)

Maya

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Maya, aren't those encounters fun? I've had several of them and they're usually quite amazed. I think they come on visits to the west not expecting any westerner at all, as back home there are generally none at all. I still get it, especially from recent immigrants.

I remember one guy coming over explaining everything to me ... we just sat and listened. Then another guy came by, who knew our history a bit, and said to the first guy ... "Look buddy. These people most likely know more about Hinduism that you do. Why don't you leave them alone?"

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Nice story Maya. It's fun to hear those stories, especially when people are surprised in a good way. (which they usually are)

Maya3

Thanks.
It really was a nice experience. They looked so thrilled to be in what was obviously an American but still very traditional Hindu temple.

Maya

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I had a very pleasant visit to temple this morning. Usually, Sunday mornings (early on) are very quiet. I like to go for the morning Abhishekam. Today though, there must have been some family event going on because the place was bustling and many thalis were being prepared for various pujas.

On the drive to the temple my mind was very unsettled. I keep the radio off (there's no good music anyway) but I had a hard time keeping my mind away from negative things for some reason. I did my best to relax before going into the temple and ringing the bell.

I did namaskaram to Ganesh and as I opened my eyes an older woman had approached. After applying ashes to her own head, she smiled at me and did Namaskar, then motion for me to come forward. She gently used her thumb to place ashes on my foerhead. (I usually only apply kumkum.) I was so happy to be welcomed like that. I thanked her and after that she went off to take care of other family things, but I just felt very blessed to be greeted that way.

Then another woman offered me prasad as I waited for the abhishekam to begin. It was one of those days when I felt that my ethnicity did not create a barrier for others - when I was treated and approached without hesitation and treated like I belonged completely. It was really nice. :D

Maya3

I had a very pleasant visit to temple this morning. Usually, Sunday mornings (early on) are very quiet. I like to go for the morning Abhishekam. Today though, there must have been some family event going on because the place was bustling and many thalis were being prepared for various pujas.

On the drive to the temple my mind was very unsettled. I keep the radio off (there's no good music anyway) but I had a hard time keeping my mind away from negative things for some reason. I did my best to relax before going into the temple and ringing the bell.

I did namaskaram to Ganesh and as I opened my eyes an older woman had approached. After applying ashes to her own head, she smiled at me and did Namaskar, then motion for me to come forward. She gently used her thumb to place ashes on my foerhead. (I usually only apply kumkum.) I was so happy to be welcomed like that. I thanked her and after that she went off to take care of other family things, but I just felt very blessed to be greeted that way.

Then another woman offered me prasad as I waited for the abhishekam to begin. It was one of those days when I felt that my ethnicity did not create a barrier for others - when I was treated and approached without hesitation and treated like I belonged completely. It was really nice. :D

That is wonderful.

Maya

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member

Sounds wonderful, F_H! :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
FS, this is such nice testimony for all those souls who for whatever reason, still feel out of place. We keep saying, "it takes time, be patient", and you're proof.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It was one of those days when I felt that my ethnicity did not create a barrier for others - when I was treated and approached without hesitation and treated like I belonged completely. It was really nice. :D
Nice to read about your experience, FS. In India, I like two sentiments, 1. Even the kings (there are no kings around now, I mean rich and powerful people) would accept prasada from a beggar with bowed head, and 2. Even a king's train will stop to allow a wedding or funeral procession to proceed first.

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Yesterday was my first day volunteering at the local temple I've been attending for about a year. In addition to learning the ropes and meeting new people I used it as an opportunity to practice my Hindi. I was terrified but I said a prayer to Ganesh to give me courage. I thought if I would just be brave enough to say "Aap Kaise Hain?" And nothing else, I could count it as a success.

Well as it turned out, people were so curious about me trying Hindi (even bad Hindi at that!) That I ended up speaking to about 5 people in Hindi, two of which were priests!:eek:

I did my best and made a lot of mistakes, but they were patient and very helpful. I even have a nickname now! But you can learn about that in another thread. I've been documenting my Hindi progress with videos and number two is up detailing my day.

There are English subtitles too for those interested.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/homework-tutoring-room/164690-language-challenge-hindi-2.html

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
So sometimes, it's not all incense and flowers when one visits temple.

I had another, by-and large- wonderful morning volunteering at temple. I was there for longer than just the abhishekam so I got to witness many other pujas and I learned the ropes of managing the front office a little better.

All priests were cheerful as usual. Accept for one.

He passed me several times during the day and I did my best to smile at him, which got no response. Then while I was standing with another devotee at the desk he came towards us and a did namaskaram to the other devotee. When I did namaskar, he ignored me.

Now, I don't say this to be a cry baby or anything. Even though it was a little disappointing I think I can give him the benefit of the doubt because you never know what someone's previous experience has been with adoptives - or westerners in general. There was plenty of positive energy from others at temple to counter - balance whatever he might have felt towards me, but I hope with time he will see that I am sincere.

Maya3

So sometimes, it's not all incense and flowers when one visits temple.

I had another, by-and large- wonderful morning volunteering at temple. I was there for longer than just the abhishekam so I got to witness many other pujas and I learned the ropes of managing the front office a little better.

All priests were cheerful as usual. Accept for one.

He passed me several times during the day and I did my best to smile at him, which got no response. Then while I was standing with another devotee at the desk he came towards us and a did namaskaram to the other devotee. When I did namaskar, he ignored me.

Now, I don't say this to be a cry baby or anything. Even though it was a little disappointing I think I can give him the benefit of the doubt because you never know what someone's previous experience has been with adoptives - or westerners in general. There was plenty of positive energy from others at temple to counter - balance whatever he might have felt towards me, but I hope with time he will see that I am sincere.

So sorry. You are nice to give Jim the benefit of the doubt, but he seems rude, hopefully he will be in a better mood next time.

Maya

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
So sorry. You are nice to give Jim the benefit of the doubt, but he seems rude, hopefully he will be in a better mood next time.

Maya

It is possible "Jim" just needs more time to know I'm sincere. Some people are just natural inclined to the "prove yourself" stance. Or maybe I misread him. Or maybe he's having a difficult week. Who knows?

I"m trying my best to remember that sometimes people are "rude" for reasons that having something to do with me. Sure, it's not fair for them to take it out on me but remembering that keeps me from overthinking the situation and making myself crazy wondering "what did I do?"