• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas - Terrible abortion law doing what Republicans said it wouldn't do

Orbit

I'm a planet
A pregnant Texas mother of two got a court order allowing her to have a medically necessary abortion, but Texas state officials are threatening the judge, hospital, and doctors involved with prosecution, fines, and licensure removal. See story for details.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
A pregnant Texas mother of two got a court order allowing her to have a medically necessary abortion, but Texas state officials are threatening the judge, hospital, and doctors involved with prosecution, fines, and licensure removal. See story for details.

How much more clear can it be that this is not a "pro-life" movement, this is about having total control over women.

I find it utterly revolting that a woman needs a court order in the first place to make medical decisions for herself. Just that alone will lead to women dying while some judge makes up (probably his) mind. Or when some judge who studied law makes a bad medical decision. But then when the court mercifully decides to grant a woman some control over her own body, to have that court order challenged when it does not go the way Mr. Ken Paxton wanted.

When a woman dies due to this kind of nonsense, I want to see Ken Paxton, or whoever interfered with her medical treatment, charged with manslaughter.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And Texas' attorney general is all too willing to go against the judge's decision.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How much more clear can it be that this is not a "pro-life" movement, this is about having total control over women.
I mean, duh.

In fairness, it's entirely plausible that in the minds of many, the movement is about "saving babies." But then they don't stop to think about the real world consequences of this "saving babies" which is, without question, the enslavement of women and others who become pregnant to the state. There is no more deeply grotesque and dehumanizing form of slavery than forced pregnancy and forced birth.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I find it utterly revolting that a woman needs a court order in the first place to make medical decisions for herself. Just that alone will lead to women dying while some judge makes up (probably his) mind. Or when some judge who studied law makes a bad medical decision. But then when the court mercifully decides to grant a woman some control over her own body, to have that court order challenged when it does not go the way Mr. Ken Paxton wanted.

When a woman dies due to this kind of nonsense, I want to see Ken Paxton, or whoever interfered with her medical treatment, charged with manslaughter.
I think you're wrong about the motive being control
of women. It appears to be about willingness to risk
harm to, & even the life of women, in order to save
every fetus that could possibly survive.
Fanatical Christians view the mother's life & health
as quite subordinate to the fetus....even one genetically
damaged to the point of low survival odds, & even if
doomed to a short painful life.
This is a greater evil than mere control of women (IMO).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
yeah, right :rolleyes:
I think you're too charitable about Republican
motives. My opinion of them is lower, ie, a
bunch of religious fanatics ready to kill mothers
to preserve the life of their sacred fetus.
Your problem is being to kind hearted,
& always seeing the best in people.
Your kind makes me puke!

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I think you're too charitable about Republican
motives. My opinion of them is lower, ie, a
bunch of religious fanatics ready to kill mothers
to preserve the life of their sacred fetus.
Your problem is being to kind hearted,
& always seeing the best in people.
Your kind makes me puke!
I think you are underestimating how much they want to control women, which also comes from them being religious fanatics. Look at the Republicans in Congress, count the women. Consider their opinion on no fault divorce. Consider their opinion on the LGBTQ. I hate to sound like one of those people, but the fact is I am one of those people so I say it - It is all about the patriarchy.

Shaul

Premium Member
Clickbait. The law does provide an exception when the pregnancy puts the life of the mother at risk. The pregnancy involved in this case does NOT put the women's life in any greater danger than that of routine pregnancies.

Shaul

Premium Member
Thank you for sharing your medical opinion.

It might surprise you to learn that the Doctors Mrs. Cox consulted with disagree with your authoritative opinion. Isn't that strange?
I didn't share any medical opinion. I might be surprised if what you wrote was true, but the article states it isn't. According to the article the basis of her case was on the abnormality of the fetus, not on any threat to herself.

Shaul

Premium Member
Read the article, genius. That is not what the doctors said. She has already been to the ER four times with pain and discharge.
All pregnancies pose health risks. The article never states that the ones she has experience rise to the level of being life threatening. It is YOU that should re-read the article. The case she brought to the court was based on the abnormality of the fetus and NOT on a claim that the pregnancy posed a grave threat to her own mortality.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Just to note that this MAGA Taliban TX government is not alone. It part of a pattern of having the almighty state tell people what they can do with their bodies, what they can read in libraries, what teachers can teach, telling businesses that they have to advertise where the state tells them to, decide what votes to count, attacking LGBTQ+ people and so forth.

Missouri lawmakers propose allowing homicide charges for women who have abortions

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I could not agree more! The sheer, wanton lack of concern for this woman, or for her unborn child that will almost certainly die, that Ken Paxton displays puts paid to his claims of Christian and pro-life beliefs. It really is all about control.

Studies have shown that only 50% of such babies who are carried to term will be born alive. The median of survival among live births has varied between 2.5 and 14.5 days. About 90% - 95% of babies do not survive beyond the first year and many live only a few days.

But no tragedy is too great for these hypocrites when they get to crow, "I saved a life!" (Even if it only lived hours and the mother loses the ability to have another.)

I have to say it -- these people make me so angry that typing these words becomes problematic, my hands are shaking so much.