• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas - Terrible abortion law doing what Republicans said it wouldn't do

Dao Hao Now

Whether or not I (or anyone else) could enlighten you has far more to do with you, but I'll try.

Pnce again, you claimed (with emphasis added) ...

Apparently you've dismissed the following (hypothetical) examples:
  • Jane Doe chooses to become pregnant and subsequently learns that the child will either die at birth or be seriously impaired.
  • Sue Smith chooses to become pregnant and subsequently learns that she has a medical condition such that a continued pregnancy and childbirth could threaten her life.
  • Maria Garcia chooses to become pregnant and subsequently learns that she's lost her job and determines that she should focus on securing reliable income and medical coverage before attempting to birth and raise a child.
  • Laura Wilson chooses to become pregnant and subsequently learns that her partner is abusive or otherwise unsupportive.
So your "virtually every woman" turns out to be "every woman" except for those you deem "virtually" unworthy of your consideration.
My how cheeky we are!

Maybe get hold of a dictionary and look up the word “virtually”……
Once you understand the definition; give it another try, this time attempt some reading comprehension, eh….
Then get back with me if you’re still having problems understanding.

Clizby Wampuscat

Do you mean a doctor who was appointed to a position by a politician, who is paid by the government, and serves a the pleasure of a political figure.

No, that is not a good idea at all.
So you trust one doctor but not another just because they work for the state. Where did all this trust go you put in doctors opinions? It is reasonable to want evidence that a medical exception is real.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
So you trust one doctor but not another just because they work for the state.
Absolutely. Any doctor who is appointed by a politician will be appointed not because they are the most qualified from a medical stand point, they are appointed because they agree with the politicians politics. Any doctor who serves at the whim of a politician will do what that politicians wants, or they will be fired. And obviously any doctor who is payed by the state does not want to loose that position.
It is reasonable to want evidence that a medical exception is real.
No, it is utterly unreasonable. Not just unreasonable but totally and inhumane to demand some one provide evidence to the government about their medical condition. This is the most personal thing a person can go through, and you demand evidence!

I see people losing their minds over the idea the government might want to know how fast your are driving, or whether you are drunk while doing it. But you think it is reasonable that a woman must report what is going on inside her womb! No, the idea is not "reasonable", it is sickening.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How come we don't calculate our birthday from the date we were conceived, rather than on the day we were born?
No, no, no, you're not going back far enough. It has to start from whenever the sperm and egg you came from existed, at minimum. More sensibly, it should go back to the beginning of all time and space since nature and the universe just recycles matter over and over again, so we were all born when the stars exploded billions of years ago. Ergo, we all actually have the same birthday and have been doing it wrong. :fearscream:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
So it shows that the reason you are giving (“the killing of innocent human life is wrong”) is flawed if sometimes it’s wrong and sometimes it’s not wrong; if it’s wrong it’s wrong!
Nah. It's wrong to kill, but if there is accident death in the act of self defense then you didn't do any wrong.

Clizby Wampuscat

So I have 26 posts to respond to over two abortion threads. I am not going to get to these posts for no other reason that I don't have the time. I also feel that we are starting to go around in circles and repeating ourselves. I appreciate the discussion and I am sure this topic will be discussed again.

Dao Hao Now

Nah. It's wrong to kill, but if there is accident death in the act of self defense then you didn't do any wrong.
I’ve never heard a “pro-life” advocate describe an abortion as an “accidental death”.

If a raped woman becomes pregnant as result of that rape……how would having an abortion be described as “self defense”?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No, no, no, you're not going back far enough. It has to start from whenever the sperm and egg you came from existed, at minimum. More sensibly, it should go back to the beginning of all time and space since nature and the universe just recycles matter over and over again, so we were all born when the stars exploded billions of years ago. Ergo, we all actually have the same birthday and have been doing it wrong. :fearscream:
Touche!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In some countries, they consider the date you are born as your first birthday.
So you start from birth as being one year old...
The whole world, it seems, has done that with Christ's birthday. Our calendar does not include a "year zero," even though when you are counting from before to after (BCE-CE or BC-AD -- or more importantly from negative to positive on the number line) there should always be a 0. But the world's calendars go directly from 1 BCE (BC) to 1 CD (AD) with no zero in between.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The whole world, it seems, has done that with Christ's birthday. Our calendar does not include a "year zero," even though when you are counting from before to after (BCE-CE or BC-AD -- or more importantly from negative to positive on the number line) there should always be a 0. But the world's calendars go directly from 1 BCE (BC) to 1 CD (AD) with no zero in between.
South Korea has had at least a partial reform. Until very recently they took it to an extreme. A baby born on Dec. 31 is automatically 1 year old. So when is his or her next "birthday"? Well not exactly a birthday, but everyone is a year older on January 1st. So a baby born on Dec. 31 2000 would be two years old on January 1 2001. That was changed just this year: