• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas - Terrible abortion law doing what Republicans said it wouldn't do

Clizby Wampuscat

And there you said it. I cannot say when a fetus becomes a person. I would say that it is probably not until after the age that it can live on its own outside of the womb. They may not even feel pain until late in the third trimester:

The idea of a third term elective abortion is pretty much fiction. Those procedures are expensive and if not medically necessary are not covered by insurance. By 21 weeks 99% of all abortions have already occurred. Those after that time are almost all medical abortions.. Those are women that want to have a baby, but due to health reasons, either their own or that of the fetus, they need an abortion.
I am not against medically required abortions.
This Texas case is both threatening the life of the mother and if the fetus even goes full term it is very very likely to have a short painful life.
I have said many times now that I do not agree with the Texas supreme courts decision. Mrs. Cox should have been able to have the abortion in Texas.

If you are worried about human life being lost I would say that by any rational measure that does not happen unless medically necessary.
I disagree.

Dao Hao Now

Yes, so what.
So what?……..seriously?
So it shows that the reason you are giving (“the killing of innocent human life is wrong”) is flawed if sometimes it’s wrong and sometimes it’s not wrong; if it’s wrong it’s wrong!
Life has grey areas and we need to use reason and logic to navigate through it.
At face value, I completely agree with this statement.
However, within the context of this discussion,
(following a quote of “Yes, so what” after being pointed out that the reason to oppose abortions is because “killing innocent human life is wrong” doesn’t hold water where the exceptions that “pro-life” advocates such as yourself are
consciously/morally unwilling to impose on special cases but are on others)
it becomes highly problematic.

So once again, pray explain……..
Why is it not wrong to “kill innocent life” in the circumstances that you find exceptions for?
Please explain the “logic and reason” you use
“to navigate through it”.
If “killing innocent human life is wrong” explain the “grey area”.

Same thing for a pregnant 10 year old. I can't imagine it is good for a 10 year old to birth a baby. Life sucks and suffering will happen and sometimes hard decisions need to be made.
I’m not sure I’m understanding your meaning on this…..please clarify.
Are you saying;
A. “Life sucks and sometimes hard decisions need to be made… she should not be allowed an abortion?
Or……
B. “Life sucks and sometimes hard decisions need to be made…..this falls into your
“grey area” that might be allowed an abortion?

If B. ……
How is the “innocent human life” that it’s wrong to kill,…any less….”innocent” or “human life” or wrong to kill?

In the case of rape I would strongly encourage a rape victim to have the baby, the baby did nothing wrong, but the mother did not choose to be pregnant either so in this case I would leave it up to her.
Again, how is the results of the conception here any less “innocent human life” that now it’s not wrong to kill?

but the mother did not choose to be pregnant either so in this case I would leave it up to her.
Is this the actual crux of the matter for you….
whether the mother chose to be pregnant or not?

So much so that “killing innocent human life is wrong” becomes “killing innocent human life” should become acceptable if and only if the mother didn’t choose to become pregnant in a way that’s acceptable to your discretion?

Surely you realize that virtually every woman that considers an abortion didn’t choose to be pregnant, yes?

Would it surprise you to know that over 50% of
abortion patients used contraceptives precisely because they didn’t choose to be pregnant?

From the National Institutes of Health:
(Reported contraceptive use in the month of becoming pregnant among U.S. abortion patients in 2000 and 2014)

“slightly more than half of patients reported that they had used a contraceptive method in the month they became pregnant, though the decline from 54% in 2000 to 51% in 2014 was statistically significant (p=.011). The methods most commonly reported to have been used in the month the pregnancy began were condoms (28% and 24% in 2000 and 2014, p<.001) followed by the pill (14% and 13%, p=.12). There was a statistically significant increase in the proportion of abortion patients who reported using long-acting reversible methods in the month they got pregnant (0.1% in 2000 vs. 1% in 2014, p<.001), and the estimated number of abortions attributed to these users was greater in 2014 than in 2000 (9500 vs. 1800).”

Clizby Wampuscat

So what?……..seriously?
So it shows that the reason you are giving (“the killing of innocent human life is wrong”) is flawed if sometimes it’s wrong and sometimes it’s not wrong; if it’s wrong it’s wrong!
The world does not work this way. Is lying wrong all the time? I would say no.
At face value, I completely agree with this statement.
However, within the context of this discussion,
(following a quote of “Yes, so what” after being pointed out that the reason to oppose abortions is because “killing innocent human life is wrong” doesn’t hold water where the exceptions that “pro-life” advocates such as yourself are
consciously/morally unwilling to impose on special cases but are on others)
it becomes highly problematic.

So once again, pray explain……..
Why is it not wrong to “kill innocent life” in the circumstances that you find exceptions for?
Please explain the “logic and reason” you use
“to navigate through it”.
If “killing innocent human life is wrong” explain the “grey area”.
I already have. The Cox case in Texas is a good example. Her baby will die no matter what decision is made, In those cases I would leave it up to the mother to decide what is best. Another scenario is if there is a good chance the mother will die if she carried the baby, then I would again leave that up to the mother to decide what to do. Real moral decisions are not easy and we won't all agree on the resolution but I do believe that all human life has a right to live.
I’m not sure I’m understanding your meaning on this…..please clarify.
Are you saying;
A. “Life sucks and sometimes hard decisions need to be made… she should not be allowed an abortion?
Or……
B. “Life sucks and sometimes hard decisions need to be made…..this falls into your
“grey area” that might be allowed an abortion?
B.
If B. ……
How is the “innocent human life” that it’s wrong to kill,…any less….”innocent” or “human life” or wrong to kill?
I never said the human life was less innocent or less human life. But sometimes circumstances lead to human dying. I don;t know the consequences of a 10 yo girl keeping a baby to term but if it could threaten her life then that is a decision for her parents or guardians to make.
Again, how is the results of the conception here any less “innocent human life” that now it’s not wrong to kill?
If you want a gotcha question then here it is, say gotcha and move on. But here is my explanation about contraception.

Both sides of this issue have a problem. Prolife and Prochoice people must define when an embryo/fetus become a protected entity. Both have no concrete answer to this question. I think the best answer to this question is when the embryo is implanted in the womb. So contraception for me is a benefit because it reduces abortions in the end. It is not a perfect answer but it is the best compromise I can come up with in my opinion. I also think on a practical matter the stance will help in persuading people to my side and further reduce abortions.
Is this the actual crux of the matter for you….
whether the mother chose to be pregnant or not?

So much so that “killing innocent human life is wrong” becomes “killing innocent human life” should become acceptable if and only if the mother didn’t choose to become pregnant in a way that’s acceptable to your discretion?
No, this is not my stance. I think a mother that was raped should not have an abortion. However, I think that is a case I am willing to leave up to the mother since I have no idea what that would be like. I would hope she would keep the baby. You want black/white answers so you can get gotcha moments. The problem is life is not black and white and most answers to tough questions are up for debate.

Where do you draw the line on abortion and why?
Surely you realize that virtually every woman that considers an abortion didn’t choose to be pregnant, yes?

Would it surprise you to know that over 50% of
abortion patients used contraceptives precisely because they didn’t choose to be pregnant?
They may not have wanted to get pregnant but most freely chose an activity that lead to the pregnancy. I have said this already but saying I chose to have sex but did not choose to get pregnant is like saying I chose to drink poison but I did not choose to die. One action leads to the next. One possible outcome of sex is a pregnancy no matter if you use contraception or not.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Her baby will die no matter what decision is made, In those cases I would leave it up to the mother to decide what is best. Another scenario is if there is a good chance the mother will die if she carried the baby,
But who makes that determination? This is about making medical evaluations. Do you agree that should be done by a medically qualified expert who has examined the patient? And do you agree that the Doctor's expert opinion should not be questioned by a politician with no medical expertise?

Clizby Wampuscat

But who makes that determination? This is about making medical evaluations. Do you agree that should be done by a medically qualified expert who has examined the patient? And do you agree that the Doctor's expert opinion should not be questioned by a politician with no medical expertise?
My comment was in response to the Cox case. In that case I agree that an abortion should have been allowed for the medical exceptions stated in the law.

I am not for going with whatever the doctor says no matter what. That is foolish. I am for the doctors giving good evidence of the medical condition that warrants an abortion to a medically qualified doctor for the state.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
My comment was in response to the Cox case. In that case I agree that an abortion should have been allowed for the medical exceptions stated in the law.

I am not for going with whatever the doctor says no matter what. That is foolish. I am for the doctors giving good evidence of the medical condition that warrants an abortion to a medically qualified doctor for the state.
Giving good evidence to whom?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I swear I answered this but I cannot find it. Maybe I never pressed post. I may have been thinking of this:

I think that killing human life is wrong. In an abortion it is a fact that human life is killed. A woman has a right to bodily autonomy but she does not have a right to kill human life.

Most pregnancies are a result of a choice made by the father and mother. One result of sex is pregnancy, if you engage in sex then one of the potential outcomes is pregnancy. That is a choice made by both people.

Many people say that consent to sex is not consent to pregnancy but that is like saying consent to eating poison is not consent to dying. Pregnancy is potential consequence of their actions that most men and women know before having sex.

The human life created did not consent to being created and cannot consent to being terminated.

A person that needs a kidney from someone else has no right to that kidney because the person with the kidney is not responsible for the situation. Can the person who is asked to provide their kidney kill the human life that needs the kidney? Why not? That would be equivalent.
So it comes down to "responsibility" with you, rather than rights? Is that it? So you can't have my kidney because I was irresponsible?
That's somehow different than taking a kidney from someone who is responsible ... how?
What difference does it make, really?

The person who needs the kidney can't take my life to use my kidney because I have bodily autonomy and they need my consent first. This even applies if I am dead. Someone can't just take my kidney and give it to a dying person if I didn't consent to donate my organs before I died. Same goes for a fetus living inside of my body. I'm the fully formed, fully grown human being that bodily autonomy applies to, not the fetus which has none of those things and needs my body to survive. MY consent is required. Fetuses can't give consent. What you are saying here is that fetuses should have special rights, that actual living, breathing, fully formed human beings aren't even afforded.

Consent to sex is not consent to carrying a pregnancy to term. Those are different things altogether.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The world does not work this way. Is lying wrong all the time? I would say no.

I already have. The Cox case in Texas is a good example. Her baby will die no matter what decision is made, In those cases I would leave it up to the mother to decide what is best. Another scenario is if there is a good chance the mother will die if she carried the baby, then I would again leave that up to the mother to decide what to do. Real moral decisions are not easy and we won't all agree on the resolution but I do believe that all human life has a right to live.

B.

I never said the human life was less innocent or less human life. But sometimes circumstances lead to human dying. I don;t know the consequences of a 10 yo girl keeping a baby to term but if it could threaten her life then that is a decision for her parents or guardians to make.

If you want a gotcha question then here it is, say gotcha and move on. But here is my explanation about contraception.

Both sides of this issue have a problem. Prolife and Prochoice people must define when an embryo/fetus become a protected entity. Both have no concrete answer to this question. I think the best answer to this question is when the embryo is implanted in the womb. So contraception for me is a benefit because it reduces abortions in the end. It is not a perfect answer but it is the best compromise I can come up with in my opinion. I also think on a practical matter the stance will help in persuading people to my side and further reduce abortions.

No, this is not my stance. I think a mother that was raped should not have an abortion. However, I think that is a case I am willing to leave up to the mother since I have no idea what that would be like. I would hope she would keep the baby. You want black/white answers so you can get gotcha moments. The problem is life is not black and white and most answers to tough questions are up for debate.

They may not have wanted to get pregnant but most freely chose an activity that lead to the pregnancy. I have said this already but saying I chose to have sex but did not choose to get pregnant is like saying I chose to drink poison but I did not choose to die. One action leads to the next. One possible outcome of sex is a pregnancy no matter if you use contraception or not.
Why should "your stance" have anything whatsoever to do with MY decisions about MY body? Or anyone else's?

Pro-choice means the choice is up to ME, not to anyone else who wants to butt their noses into my medical decisions. Same applies to you and everyone else. Unless you're my doctor, I don't care what you think. I shouldn't have to beg some judge and jury to allow me to make life-and-death decisions for myself like I'm some irresponsible child. And only when the pregnancy has gone so badly that I'm knocking on death's door. That's ludicrous.

Should I get to come join you in your doctor's office and decide for you what medical procedures you're allowed to have and when?

Some states are getting dangerously close to The Handmaid's Tale territory here and it's infuriating to this Canadian. Women aren't chattel and we aren't irresponsible children.

Dao Hao Now

Is lying wrong all the time? I would say no.
Is lying all the time wrong?
I would agree with you that there are instances (I would go so far as to say many) where lying is not wrong.
Unfortunately, this is another strawman and a false equivalency.
The world does not work this way.
Unfortunately logic and rational reasoning does work this way.
When it is so easy to demonstrate that the reason to hold a position is flawed, then the position that is held based on that flawed reasoning has no basis based on that flawed reasoning.

Another scenario is if there is a good chance the mother will die if she carried the baby, then I would again leave that up to the mother to decide what to do.
Again, this is contrary to the dictum of “killing of innocent human life is wrong” when it becomes less wrong to the point of being permissible.

Out of curiosity; can you describe where is the cut of line for “a good chance the mother will die”…..more than 50%…less….75%…. more?

Who should be the arbitrator of whether the chances are “good” or not…..a legislative body… a medical professional, the person involved?
Real moral decisions are not easy and we won't all agree on the resolution but I do believe that all human life has a right to live.
Yet you’ve partially enumerated situation where you deem it acceptable to circumvent that right to live.
I never said the human life was less innocent or less human life.
True you did not use those words.
However by stating the dictum “killing innocent human life is wrong” and then allowing for circumstances where it is allowed to “kill innocent human life”;
if the dictum is our basis… it follows that in certain circumstances either the life allowed to be “killed” is either less innocent, less human, or it is not “wrong”.

This is why I asked the question (as opposed to putting those words in your mouth) so that you might contemplate that discrepancy and explain it to me.

If we were to abandon the dictum;
all situations would maintain the same amount of “innocence” “human-ness” and degree of “wrong or right”.

If you want a gotcha question then here it is, say gotcha and move on.
I’m merely pointing out the flaw in the basis for your reasoning.
If you view this as a gotcha….. does that mean you concede that there is no defendable reason for discrepancy between the two positions you hold;
i.e. that “killing of innocent human life is wrong” as a basis for denying abortions….
and there are circumstances where “killing of innocent life” should be permitted?

Prolife and Prochoice people must define when an embryo/fetus become a protected entity.
That is precisely what Roe v Wade did….

“The Supreme Court disagreed with Roe’s assertion of an absolute right to terminate pregnancy in any way and at any time. Instead, it attempted to balance what it regarded as a “fundamental” right to privacy with the state’s “compelling” interests in protecting the health of pregnant persons and the “potentiality of human life.” In doing so, the Court formulated a timetable based on the notions of trimester and fetal viability (i.e., the “capability of meaningful life outside the mother’s womb”).”
(Roe v. Wade | Summary, Origins, Right to Privacy, & Overturning)

No, this is not my stance. I think a mother that was raped should not have an abortion. However, I think that is a case I am willing to leave up to the mother since I have no idea what that would be like. I would hope she would keep the baby.
In other words, you believe that she should have a right to choose, and that you’re opinion is she shouldn’t have an abortion; but you don’t think the law should require the imposition of that opinion, but that it should remain ultimately her decision………correct?

Since you agree that there is no difference in the “innocence” or “human-ness” as result in the instance of rape/incest or consensual sex….
If it’s not about whether the mother became pregnant in an “acceptable/unacceptable” way……
why shouldn’t a mother that was using contraception in order to prevent conception, but becomes pregnant as result of consensual sex afforded the same right?

You want black/white answers so you can get gotcha moments.
It is your declaration of the dictum as the basis for your reasoning that sets up the paradox of not conforming to your black/white rational which generates your self described “gotcha moments”….. I’m merely pointing out the discrepancies in a hope that you (or anyone reading along) might recognize them.

I’m of the opinion that all sentient persons should have a right to bodily autonomy….
including women; and that no law should restrict that right.
I believe that Roe v Wade essentially got it right with viability outside the womb being a reasonable demarcation point at which an unborn child’s claim becomes compensate to that of the mother.

Why……. because I expect bodily autonomy and don’t think my claim to such should be any different to that of anyone else…including women.

Yet another strawman.
Since drinking poison is not a basic human drive nor anything that rational people do; this is a false equivalency and a nonsensical one to boot.

They may not have wanted to get pregnant but most freely chose an activity that lead to the pregnancy.
One action leads to the next. One possible outcome of sex is a pregnancy no matter if you use contraception or not.
Most people freely choose to drive in a car.
Driving in a car is an activity known to at times result in accidents. (sometimes fatal or permanently disabling)
One action has the potential of leading to the next.
One possible outcome of driving in a car is getting into a serious accident if you use seatbelts and safety bags or not.
Many people die or are permanently disabled as result of a car accident while wearing seatbelts in cars equipped with safety bags and other safety measures…….
They may not have wanted to die or become permanently disabled, but most freely chose an activity that lead to death or permanent disability.

Are you seriously suggesting that they in some way deserved to be killed or permanently disabled since they chose to drive in a car?…..
Because that is essentially what you are saying about becoming pregnant.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Are you suggesting that a large percentage of women actively seeking and thereby choosing to become pregnant upon becoming pregnant consequently consider aborting that pregnancy?
No, I am suggesting that the claim ...
... is patently thoughtless and absurd.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to why you find it “patently thoughtless and absurd”?

Whether or not I (or anyone else) could enlighten you has far more to do with you, but I'll try.

Pnce again, you claimed (with emphasis added) ...

Apparently you've dismissed the following (hypothetical) examples:
  • Jane Doe chooses to become pregnant and subsequently learns that the child will either die at birth or be seriously impaired.
  • Sue Smith chooses to become pregnant and subsequently learns that she has a medical condition such that a continued pregnancy and childbirth could threaten her life.
  • Maria Garcia chooses to become pregnant and subsequently learns that she's lost her job and determines that she should focus on securing reliable income and medical coverage before attempting to birth and raise a child.
  • Laura Wilson chooses to become pregnant and subsequently learns that her partner is abusive or otherwise unsupportive.
So your "virtually every woman" turns out to be "every woman" except for those you deem "virtually" unworthy of your consideration.