• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas - Terrible abortion law doing what Republicans said it wouldn't do

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
She wants to have children. She is at risk of losing her uterus if she continues this pregnancy, so continuing this pregnancy is putting her ability to have children in the future at risk. This fetus has no chance to be healthy, much less survive to term. The mother might not even survive to term. Right now, she is too sick to travel out of state for an abortion.
I don't have to tell you that these people don't care about any of that. They don't care if the fetus dies (or is already dead) as long as it's not deliberately aborted. They don't care if the mother dies. They don't care if the mother survives and suffers a lengthy illness or becomes infertile. Yet they feign taking the moral high road, because they are doing what they think their god wants them to do to others. THAT'S what they care about. They want to be seen saying and doing these things by their god, who they also believe rewards and punishes accordingly.
They always have been able to make that decision by choosing to whether have sex and how.
No, they haven't. When the church could coerce or compel it, every maiden was expected to marry at puberty and could not refuse their husbands sex. There were rules against divorce, homosexuality, masturbation, and birth control (rhythm method and early withdrawal originally, oral contraceptives, IUDs, and abortions later), and no extramarital sex. And you can be sure that the church would love to have the power to force that on people again.

But even if we grant you that, so what? They chose to have sex and now have an unwanted pregnancy. Abortion is an acceptable solution for most, and it really doesn't matter at all who disagrees when abortion is safe, legal, and accessible.
no one can exercise a right by taking the life of another human.
Disagree. What's your position on Hamas and Israel? How do you feel about self-defense? If you accept killing there, then you've contradicted yourself.

Fetuses have no rights except those granted by the rest of us. Your heart may break for them, but that doesn't give them rights. Laws do such as the ones these Texans are attempting to impose and others are attempting to cast aside.

Most of Western society has entered or is entering its post-religious phase, and such people don't care about the values the religions teach when they contradict their own consciences. They reject religious homophobia, misogyny, and atheophobia. They reject hell theology. They reject religious anti-intellectualism and anti-scientism. The opinions of the religious don't matter in their lives.

And even the majority of Christian women reject Handmaid's Tales values and want the right to abortion.

What we're seeing in these states with stark abortion laws is an exodus of medical talent from them. It's the same thing that the Arabs suffered when they returned to religious fundamentalism and ceased being leaders in free thought, astronomy, and mathematics. It the same brain drain that Germany suffered before and after World War II. And now, many ob-gyns are simply unwilling to live and work in such places any longer. Texas really isn't a fit state to live in for a fertile woman if she can't get an abortion there OR elsewhere.

wellwisher

How much more clear can it be that this is not a "pro-life" movement, this is about having total control over women.
I think women are more than just abortion machines. Maybe Lefty women are the exception. All the other aspects of being a woman are not in jeopardy. This situation is similar to trying to pray on public grounds in left wing states. The Left will take a fit and then come down hard. That lefty taboo, woke up the religious, who now feel a need to protect those who cannot speak for themself, such as the born. Human sacrifices to the Liberal gods is not allowed in Texas. Modern religion stopped that practice centuries ago.

That woman could have just driven to a Democrat run state that allows abortion, and be done with it. However, she was directed to created theatre, since the elections are around the corner and Texas is heading more to the right, due to the border problems created by Biden and the Democrats.

In terms of ignoring court orders, the Biden Administration was told that he could no longer use government to censor political rivals through social media. Now we find out that the Biden State Department is up to this same cheat game, again. The right is learning from the left and is starting to realize being lawful is not fair, if the other side gets to ignore the courts.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I mostly agree with you on this. I tend to believe that most pro-lifers genuinely do want to save the lives of foetuses. Control of women's bodies is a means to an end rather than the motive in and of itself. That approach can absolutely manifest as a callous disregard for the lives of women.
Callous disregard is enhanced by ignorance of
the consequences of their simplistic regulation.
I'm less sure about the motives of many pro-life politicians though. I suspect that some really do see themselves as saving lives. Many likely see it as nothing more than a way to garner support and don't actually give a toss about ethical considerations. I also don't find it hard to believe that control of women's bodies really is the goal for at least some of those politicians. Power is one hell of a drug and powerful people often seem to desire control of others purely for the sake of getting that fix.
Trump strikes me as one of those who opposes
abortion simply for political gain. I don't think
he has any personal views either way.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I think women are more than just abortion machines. Maybe Lefty women are the exception. All the other aspects of being a woman are not in jeopardy. This situation is similar to trying to pray on public grounds in left wing states. The Left will take a fit and then come down hard. That lefty taboo, woke up the religious, who now feel a need to protect those who cannot speak for themself, such as the born. Human sacrifices to the Liberal gods is not allowed in Texas. Modern religion stopped that practice centuries ago.

That woman could have just driven to a Democrat run state that allows abortion, and be done with it. However, she was directed to created theatre, since the elections are around the corner and Texas is heading more to the right, due to the border problems created by Biden and the Democrats.

In terms of ignoring court orders, the Biden Administration was told that he could no longer use government to censor political rivals through social media. Now we find out that the Biden State Department is up to this same cheat game, again. The right is learning from the left and is starting to realize being lawful is not fair, if the other side gets to ignore the courts.
Texas has outlawed women driving to a different state to get an abortion also. Put the blame where it belongs--on the Republicans who came up with these laws.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think women are more than just abortion machines.

So, the government should tell them what they must do with their bodies? Next, should the government tell them when they must have other medical procedures with criminal charges if they don't?

That woman could have just driven to a Democrat run state that allows abortion, and be done with it.

Under Texas law, she can be arrested and prosecuted as well as anyone who helps her.
due to the border problems created by Biden and the Democrats.

The "border problem" was there long before Biden's presidency. Actually, it's a "people in distress" problem, but then do you really care?

Now we find out that the Biden State Department is up to this same cheat game, again.

R-I-G-H-T! :rolleyes:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Can you be more specific; ie How do democrats endanger people's health and well-being?
Democrats endanger freedoms through heavy handed authoritarian regulations and mandates that force people to do things only their way.

Twilight Hue

When Republicans do this, do you condemn it?
Yeah, read my past posts , you don't see me supporting the same things that the other party does.

For me , that's revenge politics , and has no place in our countrys government.

Of course you're very redundant and keep asking the same questions over and over no matter how many times I answer it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

Apparently, this is going to be taken to full term. Only recourse is cesarean birth to which this thing will be over at full term anyways. At least she will be in a hospital surrounded by professionals.
There's absolutely no reason it should be brought to term. It's too high risk and the baby will live a short, miserable life. There is no "oh well." She is being denied life saving medical treatment due to religious-based legislation (that's itself is based on a religion with things like "tear the unborn from the womb" and "happy is he who dashes your little ones against rocks.").

Twilight Hue

There's absolutely no reason it should be brought to term. It's too high risk and the baby will live a short, miserable life. There is no "oh well." She is being denied life saving medical treatment due to religious-based legislation (that's itself is based on a religion with things like "tear the unborn from the womb" and "happy is he who dashes your little ones against rocks.").
Nothing is going to change in this situation.

My post was hoping this situation concludes in the best way possible under the circumstances which is best in a medical facility with professionals.

Clearly in her case , there's nothing anyone can actually do or intervene to make it right.