• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 50th Article Has Been Triggered

Altfish

Veteran Member
This is what I meant by false equivalency. You're setting up the bus as if it represents what's actually going to come of Brexit. Even I know neither of those are true, and I was the first in line to vote leave.
I notice you quote mined by omitted my Turkish joining the EU comment.

'False equivalency' - is that the latest phrase used to describe lying has it taken over from 'economical with the truth'?

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
I notice you quote mined by omitted my Turkish joining the EU comment.

Oh, I never actually saw that--I give up reading nonsense before finishing all the way.

'False equivalency' - is that the latest phrase used to describe lying has it taken over from 'economical with the truth'?

The NHS thing was nonsense though. And you placing it on a pedestal and going LOOK AT HOW DUMB BREXIT IS, as if that represents an actual argument, is false equivalency.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Oh, I never actually saw that--I give up reading nonsense before finishing all the way.

The NHS thing was nonsense though. And you placing it on a pedestal and going LOOK AT HOW DUMB BREXIT IS, as if that represents an actual argument, is false equivalency.

You may well have dismissed those statements as nonsense, but many Brexiteers did not. Many Brexit voters (like Trump voters expect a wall in the US) are expecting increased spending on NHS, more jobs, etc.

I suspect this is why the winning side of the referendum are so angry; they have sold us all a dud, and they know that reality is starting to dawn and the UK will be no better off in two years time. They have also lost their scapegoat, no longer will we be able to blame our countries woes on the EU.

Usually the winners are celebrating, it is hilarious to watch.

Notanumber

A Free Man
You may well have dismissed those statements as nonsense, but many Brexiteers did not. Many Brexit voters (like Trump voters expect a wall in the US) are expecting increased spending on NHS, more jobs, etc.

I suspect this is why the winning side of the referendum are so angry; they have sold us all a dud, and they know that reality is starting to dawn and the UK will be no better off in two years time. They have also lost their scapegoat, no longer will we be able to blame our countries woes on the EU.

In future, we will be able to blame our countries woes on both of the Houses of Parliament and they will not be able to blame it on the EU as they have done in the past.

I will celebrate when we finally wave goodbye to the EU.

I don’t know about Brexiteers being angry because I am one and I am not angry but this Remoaner is certainly bitter - 'You've made Brits into HOSTAGES' Ridge accuses Hilary Benn of 'ABANDONING' expats abroad

His late father must be turning in his grave.

Flankerl

Membership of the EU undermines Parliamentary authority, as legislative approval is exercised by the Member State executives--bypassing Parliamentary scrutiny and placing legislation beyond it's reach.

It only does if you live in a Banana Republic. In most countries of the EU the national parliaments have to vote about the individual laws.

But let's not get confronted by reality. That's usually messy.

Additionally, the EU assumes exclusive rights of representation on global bodies and has full control over the votes cast.

Additionally that's not true. At least Austrian politicians visit other countries rather often and then talk about stuff with these countries representatives.

But I realise that its not that easy to leave the forsaken Isles.

Let's take the three sisters: Codex, OIE and the IPPC, under the aegis of the FAO. The EU adopts the standards thundered out by these organisations, through which Member States are obliged to adopt.

Or your representatives could've just... I don't know... disagreed with it. They even got a Veto.

They didn't want to? Well then its not the fault of the EU. But hey there is that ugly reality again.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I don’t know about Brexiteers being angry .....

Read the rest of this thread, look at the Tory MPs who walked out of a committee meeting they didn't like the outcome of, read the letter they wrote threatening the BBC, I could go on...

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal

I presume that I am of a very select group of Leave voters that are actually celebrating. I am going to enjoy basking in the tears of Ukippers once we have either Associate Membership via Treaty reform or EEA/EFTA.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
It only does if you live in a Banana Republic. In most countries of the EU the national parliaments have to vote about the individual laws.

Yes, but voting is ceremonial. Dare you not implement EU legislation and you will be fined by the Court of Justice.

Flankerl

Yes, but voting is ceremonial. Dare you not implement EU legislation and you will be fined by the Court of Justice.

Bullcrap. Case in point the treaty of Lisbon which was altered in several countries due to them not agreeing with the initial one.

But I get it, reality is just bad for your entire standpoint.

So please stop lying. You got what you wanted now stop whining about an EU that doesn't treat you as one of them.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Bullcrap. Case in point the treaty of Lisbon which was altered in several countries due to them not agreeing with the initial one.

The amount of ignorance here is wonderful. I could bother to ruin this but I don't know if it's even worth it.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The amount of ignorance here is wonderful. I could bother to ruin this but I don't know if it's even worth it.
As usual Ultimatum, when someone says something you don't like you attack the person not their argument/statement.
Just like all Brexiteers.
Anyway, as you have pointed out great times are just 2-years away, we'll all be better off with less Johnny foreigners to bother us. Not long now. How much better off is the NHS going to be, £300+m a week wasn't it.

Great times are coming.

I can't wait to see what we'll blame the countries woes on then, it'll be the Remoaners fault still I suspect.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
we'll all be better off with less Johnny foreigners to bother us. Not long now. How much better off is the NHS going to be, £300+m a week wasn't it.

As usual Altfish, when someone says something you don't like you present an alternate argument to the one said person has never presented in the history of everness.
Just like all Remainians.

Altfish

Veteran Member
As usual Altfish, when someone says something you don't like you present an alternate argument to the one said person has never presented in the history of everness.
Quote mining as usual and only answering the bits that you want to, ignoring the rest of my post

Flankerl

"Negotiations to modify EU institutions began in 2001, resulting first in the Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe, which would have repealed the existing European treaties and replaced them with a "constitution". Although ratified by a majority of member states, this was abandoned after being rejected by 54.67% of French voters on 29 May 2005[7][8] and then by 61.54% of Dutch voters on 1 June 2005.[9] After a "period of reflection", member states agreed instead to maintain the existing treaties, but to amend them, salvaging a number of the reforms that had been envisaged in the constitution. An amending "reform" treaty was drawn up and signed in Lisbon in 2007. It was originally intended to have been ratified by all member states by the end of 2008. This timetable failed, primarily due to the initial rejection of the Treaty in June 2008 by the Irish electorate, a decision which was reversed in a second referendum in October 2009 after Ireland secured a number of concessions related to the treaty."

"
The UK and Ireland have a flexible opt-out from justice and home affairs measures and could choose to participate in them on a case-by-case basis."

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

If you honestly believe that anti-immigrant sentiment wasn't even a minor argument in Brexit logic then you're burying your head in the sand.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Support for Brexit hits a five-month high, with 55 per cent of UK population now backing exit from European Union

"Support for Brexit has hit a five month high, with 55 per cent of the population now backing Britain’s exit from the European Union, a new poll has found.

A new survey from Orb International shows a four per cent boost for Theresa May in days after she triggered the start of Brexit talks at the end of last month."
Subscript from that article:

"CLARIFICATION: This article originally reported that 55% of respondents to the Orb International poll 'backed Brexit'. Although a clear majority did not disagree that Britain will be economically better off and will have more control over immigration post Brexit, the 55% figure related to respondents' approval of the way the Government is handling Brexit negotiations, not to their support for Brexit per se. We have amended the article accordingly."

What the survey ACTUALLY said about UK support for Brexit:

"There is also a slight increase in the number of people that feel Britain will be better off post Brexit. 43% agreed with this statement in May, compared to only 41% in April."
SOURCE: May 2017: public confidence increase in Brexit negotiations. New polling results. - Intelligence Reports

It's still increasing, but not by much, and it's still less than half polled.