• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ancient Bible.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm not here to discourage Christians from finding inspiration in their New Testament. But the NT is simply not part of our sacred texts. To us, it is no different from the Vedas, the Quran, the Book of Mormon... You get the idea.
Yes, I know that, and it's okay. We all have different beliefs and there is BEAUTY AND HARMONY IN DIVERSITY.

I only wish more Christians would realize that. ;)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
There is only 66 books, There are no 7 books after Revelations. That you keep saying is there. Tell me the names of them.
The deuterocanonicals are not located after Revelation. They are dispersed towards the end of the "Old Testament" [sic]. They were written before the life of Jesus. In the Catholic Bible they are:
  • Tobit
  • Judith
  • Wisdom (Wisdom of Solomon)
  • Sirach (Ecclesiasticus)
  • Baruch
  • 1 Maccabees
  • 2 Maccabees
  • Additions to Esther
  • Additions to Daniel (The Prayer of Azariah and Song of the Three Holy Children, Susanna, Bel and the Dragon)
Isn't AI great for this sort of thing? :)

As I mentioned in my earlier post to you, the Orthodox Bible has even more books, and the Ethiopian church has the most books of anyone.

As you know, these Jewish writings are not part of the Jewish canon, but that doesn't mean Jews can't have an appreciation for them. For example, the Maccabees record the Chanukah story. My personal favorite is the stories of Susanna and Bel and the Dragon in the longer version of Daniel, because they depict Daniel as a kind of Super Sleuth who solves crimes, and I love a good mystery story. :)

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not here to discourage Christians from finding inspiration in their New Testament. But the NT is simply not part of our sacred texts. To us, it is no different from the Vedas, the Quran, the Book of Mormon... You get the idea.
I can appreciate that even though I view the New Testament much differently of course.

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
The deuterocanonicals are not located after Revelation. They are dispersed towards the end of the "Old Testament" [sic]. They were written before the life of Jesus. In the Catholic Bible they are:
  • Tobit
  • Judith
  • Wisdom (Wisdom of Solomon)
  • Sirach (Ecclesiasticus)
  • Baruch
  • 1 Maccabees
  • 2 Maccabees
  • Additions to Esther
  • Additions to Daniel (The Prayer of Azariah and Song of the Three Holy Children, Susanna, Bel and the Dragon)
Isn't AI great for this sort of thing? :)

As I mentioned in my earlier post to you, the Orthodox Bible has even more books, and the Ethiopian church has the most books of anyone.

As you know, these Jewish writings are not part of the Jewish canon, but that doesn't mean Jews can't have an appreciation for them. For example, the Maccabees record the Chanukah story. My personal favorite is the stories of Susanna and Bel and the Dragon in the longer version of Daniel, because they depict Daniel as a kind of Super Sleuth who solves crimes, and I love a good mystery story. :)
Aren’t those books the Apocrypha?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Aren’t those books the Apocrypha?
Depends on whom you ask. If you talk to a Protestant, they are called the Apocrypha. If you talk to a Catholic, they are called the Deuterocanonicals. The word apocrypha actually means "secret" or "hidden," so I'm not sure why Protestants use that word, since there is nothing secret about the books. The word deuterocanon means "second rule/standard" IOW second canon. That seems a more sensible label to me, although it's not all that big a deal.