• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Was Right. The Earth Is Flat.

Shad

Veteran Member
Discussing circumstantial evidence regarding the shape of the earth can not lead us to a conclusive answer about the shape of the earth. It's pointless and endless, and there are different interpretations from both sides regarding whatever hard data we might present. e.g. "seeing a city skyline from 50+ miles away" (data, and circumstantial evidence) is interpreted by the flat-earther as "evidence of a flat earth"; yet that very same data is interpreted by the round-Earther as "evidence for mirages".

As in the Parable of the Elephant I gave earlier, the blind men can argue with each other all day long about the nature of "elephant," but none of them can come to true knowledge about the whole elephant without experiencing the whole elephant for himself.

No there is only one accepted interpretation and a lot of crackpot views. Your view is one of the later.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Orthodox cosmology says lunar eclipses occur because the Earth is between the moon and the sun. How does the moon produce an eclipse when the sun is in the sky along with the moon, and the Earth is clearly not between the two?
Eclipses are caused by the sun, which provides the light for the eclipse to happen, and the position of the Earth and moon relative to each other and the sun that causes the visible phenomena. A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth is between the moon and sun, and the solar eclipse happens when the moon is between the Earth and sun. A flat Earth simply cannot produce these eclipses.

buddhist

solar eclipse happens when the moon is between the Earth and sun.
Yes, I understand that allegation regarding solar eclipses. However, I was not speaking of a solar eclipse, where the moon occludes the sun - this is what you're describing.

I am arguing a different thing. When the moon is between the Earth and the sun, the moon itself has apparently been recorded to show an eclipse (a lunar eclipse, not solar eclipse)!

Last edited:

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
I have one question for the flat earthers who demand first hand accounts from us seeing the shape of the world. . .

Do you, perchance, have firsthand experience of seeing the edge of the earth?

Or, better yet; do you have firsthand experience of you or a friend of yours falling off the edge?

allfoak

Alchemist
I have one question for the flat earthers who demand first hand accounts from us seeing the shape of the world. . .

Do you, perchance, have firsthand experience of seeing the edge of the earth?

Or, better yet; do you have firsthand experience of you or a friend of yours falling off the edge?

Wouldn't the earth have to be two dimensional in order to fall off the edge?

allfoak

Alchemist
I have a little different perspective on this subject than many of the flat earthers.
Here it is...

The flat earth debate is not about arguing for a two dimensional planet, that would be rather silly.
This subject fascinates me because of the spiritual component that the flat earth idea adds to my understanding of how things work on a cosmic scale.

It seems what gives the earth it's round shape is not the shape of the ground portion but rather the magnetic field.
This is the same concept we have for our own bodies.
Our bodies are not two dimensional but in relation to the magnetic field that surrounds us it can be described as flat.

allfoak

Alchemist
It is kind of like being in a bubble, everything looks round looking out from the inside but the observer is not round.
Standing on the surface of the earth looking out everything seems to be round, and it is, everything but the surface we are standing on.

allfoak

Alchemist
I agree with this. Each part contains the whole.

Excellent!

These are the principles that primarily govern my understanding of myself and the world around me.
They are of course the 7 Hermetic principles.

"The Principles of Truth are Seven; he who knows these,
understandingly, possesses the Magic Key before whose
touch all the Doors of the Temple fly open."--The Kybalion.

The Seven Hermetic Principles, upon which the entire Hermetic Philosophy is based, are as follows:

1. The Principle of Mentalism.
2. The Principle of Correspondence.
3. The Principle of Vibration.
4. The Principle of Polarity.
5. The Principle of Rhythm.
6. The Principle of Cause and Effect.
7. The Principle of Gender.

It is through an understanding of these principles and knowledge of a holographic universe that made me take a second look at the flat earth idea.
There is undoubtedly a lot of nonsense being thrown around on both sides.
There is however, (once one begins to sift through it all) somethings that drew my attention.
One of which is the magnetic field that is common to both us and the earth.

Thinking about this similarity the shape of us and the shape of the earth all of a sudden became very similar to me.
Applying the principle of correspondence "as above, so below", i began to think that maybe some of this had some merit.

People can say i am crazy all they please, it is nothing new to me.
I am always stretching my boundaries, and learning new and higher truths as a result.

cambridge79

wait a minute, i don't wanna waste my time reading 18 pages of discussion: are there really people pretending to tell the earth is flat?

ThirtyThree

wait a minute, i don't wanna waste my time reading 18 pages of discussion: are there really people pretending to tell the earth is flat?
They are not pretending. Some of them actually believe the Earth is flat, you know... like a Frisbee.

CT3VX8HVEAA5HBV.jpg

cambridge79

They are not pretending. Some of them actually believe the Earth is flat, you know... like a Frisbee.

CT3VX8HVEAA5HBV.jpg

so all the pictures taken from space at different angles are all fake?

the thing that scares me most about a certain kind of believers is that when they're confronted and they're asked to choose between their faith and reality they always reject reality. a similar mindset can lead you to all sort of bad things if exploited