• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Was Right. The Earth Is Flat.

ThirtyThree

so all the pictures taken from space at different angles are all fake?

Composite images or outright CGI, according to the Flat Earthers. Also, and the Flat Earthers are divided on this, NASA has either never been in anything other than low Earth orbit, or it has yet to crack the firmament, the nearly indestructible glass dome over our disk. In other words, space travel is a complete lie, according to most flat Earthers. At least, space travel beyond Earth.

cambridge79

Composite images or outright CGI, according to the Flat Earthers. Also, and the Flat Earthers are divided on this, NASA has either never been in anything other than low Earth orbit, or it has yet to crack the firmament, the nearly indestructible glass dome over our disk. In other words, space travel is a complete lie, according to most flat Earthers. At least, space travel beyond Earth.

i think there are people in this world that give us the right to laugh at them: these are definitely among them.

ThirtyThree

i think there are people in this world that give us the right to laugh at them: these are definitely among them.

hqdefault.jpg

I agree, sometimes you just have to laugh. 9/11 truthers and reptilian believers are not much different though. Even those strange moon landing deniers...

buddhist

so all the pictures taken from space at different angles are all fake?

the thing that scares me most about a certain kind of believers is that when they're confronted and they're asked to choose between their faith and reality they always reject reality. a similar mindset can lead you to all sort of bad things if exploited
Have you directly seen the shape of the whole Earth with your own eyes? This is called reality.

Or have you just been taught about it through second-hand sources and second-hand evidences, e.g. alleged photos, videos, authority figures, etc.? This is called faith.

ThirtyThree

Have you directly seen the shape of the whole Earth with your own eyes? This is called reality.

Or have you just been taught about it through second-hand sources and second-hand evidences, e.g. alleged photos, videos, authority figures, etc.? This is called faith.

buddhist

"Videos," as I wrote, are no subsitute for direct sight. IMO any rational, intelligent being can understand that - with the state of computing today - almost anything can be computer generated.

I have no personal knowledge if this video is computer generated or not, or what kind of lenses were used if it wasn't computer generated, both of which leaves room for doubt. Believing the content of this video is a form of faith - not knowledge.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
the thing that scares me most about a certain kind of believers is that when they're confronted and they're asked to choose between their faith and reality they always reject reality. a similar mindset can lead you to all sort of bad things if exploited

Bravo. Well stated.

ThirtyThree

"Videos," as I wrote, are no subsitute for direct sight. IMO any rational, intelligent being can understand that - with the state of computing today - almost anything can be computer generated.

I have no personal knowledge if this video is computer generated or not, or what kind of lenses were used if it wasn't computer generated, both of which leaves room for doubt. Believing the content of this video is a form of faith - not knowledge.

The video is fact. How can you doubt it? The ISS exists! Are you claiming the ISS does not exist?

buddhist

You can verify its existence for yourself if you want to, as it can be seen from the ground at night time. Use this website to check when it will be overhead in your area.
OK. I've seen that bright object from the ground. Even though some might call it the "ISS", I don't know if it is really streaming a live video of the Earth or not. Even if so, I still don't know what kind of lenses they are using, nor do I know if they are applying any special effects post-processing. I can believe it, but I don't know.

ThirtyThree

OK. I've seen that bright object from the ground. Even though some might call it the "ISS", I don't know if it is really streaming a live video of the Earth or not. Even if so, I still don't know what kind of lenses they are using, nor do I know if they are applying any special effects post-processing. I can believe it, but I don't know.

Your "logic" makes my brain ache.

buddhist

Your "logic" makes my brain ache.
As the Buddha correctly taught ...
  • Do not accept anything on mere hearsay (ie, thinking that thus have we heard it for a long time).
  • Do not accept anything by mere tradition (ie, thinking that it has been handed down thus through many generations).
  • Do not accept anything on account of rumours (ie, by believing what others say without any investigation).
  • Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures.
  • Do not accept anything by mere supposition.
  • Do not accept anything by mere inference.
  • Do not accept anything by merely considering the appearances.
  • Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your preconceived notions.
  • Do not accept anything merely because it seems acceptable (ie, should be accepted).
  • Do not accept anything thinking that the ascetic is respected by us (and that therefore it is right to accept his word.)
But when you know for yourselves ... then live and act accordingly. - Kalama sutta

cambridge79

I've never been to Beijin but i have no reason to believe there's a conspiracy in act to make me believe Beijin is an actual city while in fact it doesn't even exist. That is called common sense.

buddhist

I've never been to Beijin but i have no reason to believe there's a conspiracy in act to make me believe Beijin is an actual city while in fact it doesn't even exist. That is called common sense.
I agree. I also believe similarly. But, until I've visited it for myself, I can't say that I know.