• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Breast Question

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
I'm not agreeing that everything natural should be done in public. We don't want to open that can of worms. But babies should be fed anyplace that babies have any business being in the first place.
I'm more referring to the fact we consider parts of the human body "wrong", hey even animals don't like being watched when "nature calls", actually just thinking about how some cats react to your presence is making me laugh at the moment.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not agreeing that everything natural should be done in public. We don't want to open that can of worms. But babies should be fed anyplace that babies have any business being in the first place.
To those who think that breastfeeding is always appropriate in all social situations, consider this: would it sometimes be inappropriate for a diabetic to administer an insulin shot in public? For many, these shots are a vital matter of survival, and those who administer the shot in the abdomen (which, IIRC, most do), reveal no more skin than is acceptable in most social situations.

Smoke

Done here.
To those who think that breastfeeding is always appropriate in all social situations
IMO, breastfeeding is not always appropriate in all social situations, because there are situations where babies shouldn't be in the first place.

As for giving oneself insulin, if you have to, you have to. I've certainly seen worse things on the subway. :)

Edit: I doubt I'd even notice if someone at another table in a restaurant were giving herself an insulin shot. But you should have the right to throw your water glass at anyone who flosses her teeth at the table.

Ðanisty

To those who think that breastfeeding is always appropriate in all social situations, consider this: would it sometimes be inappropriate for a diabetic to administer an insulin shot in public? For many, these shots are a vital matter of survival, and those who administer the shot in the abdomen (which, IIRC, most do), reveal no more skin than is acceptable in most social situations.
Why would it be wrong for a diabetic to administer an insulin shot? If they need it, they should be able to do it whenever and wherever they need it. I don't see what would be wrong with that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ðanisty;921936 said:
Why would it be wrong for a diabetic to administer an insulin shot? If they need it, they should be able to do it whenever and wherever they need it. I don't see what would be wrong with that.
Every diabetic I've ever known has always excused themselves and then done the shot in the washroom.

I think a big part of it is because they know some people feel uncomfortable around needles. In that regard, there's a direct parallel with breastfeeding.

Ðanisty

Every diabetic I've ever known has always excused themselves and then done the shot in the washroom.

I think a big part of it is because they know some people feel uncomfortable around needles. In that regard, there's a direct parallel with breastfeeding.
Or it could be because they feel more comfortable going to the restroom to do it. Either way, it doesn't change my opinion.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I understand this, honestly. But, part of the problem with our culture today (imo) is that people are no longer considerate with each other. We listen to people talk on cell phones while driving, at the movies, in restaurants. I've seen parents let their kids scream and throw food in all types of restaurants while doing nothing about it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people walk by my house, let their dog crap in my yard and leave it there!

Anyway, I could go on but I won't. Yes, breastfeeding is natural, No, it's not the worst form of public annoyances. However, women need to show a little class and consideration. It's not all about them and their baby! And this comes from a mom who breastfed four babies.

But breastfeeding is nothing at all like that. It's not selfish, it's not lazy like those actions. It's not done to intentionally annoy others. Unless the woman has a bright flashing neon sign that points to her exposed breasts while screaming "I'M BREASTFEEDING MAH BABIES" then I really don't see what the problem is. :shrug:

Ðanisty;921792 said:
I agree with everything you posted above and I happen to be one of those weird people who doesn't like children at all. I really do get annoyed when women think it's all about them and their baby. However, I only feel this way when a woman is actually inconveniencing me. Breastfeeding isn't even close to the top of the list of things mothers do that annoy other people.

I have never in my life been inconvenienced by a mother breastfeeding a child- and I have been inconvenienced by mothers with children many times.

I can't count how many times I've gone to the bathroom and waited for quite some time for the handicapped stall to be emptied, and it's always some mother who believed that the handicapped stall was the OK Corral for Kids not a fellow disabled person. I've had the accessible seating on buses and other public transportation blocked by stollers that can easily fold up and take up far less space. Those are real bothers. Seeing a child eating doesn't bother me in the least.

There's this whole woman breastfeeding in public being wrong while a guy can go out topless issue that really bothers me. There's nothing dirty or shameful about it. Breastfeeding, both the act and the milk itself, is very beneficial to both mother and child, something a bottle full of formula (or even pumped breast milk) will never be able replicate. Women shouldn't feel shamed for breast-feeding.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Ðanisty;921792 said:
Her father can't look at her while she's breastfeeding? Why? I think that's a bit disturbing, personally. If I was in that situation, I'm not sure I could be around him anymore. If you ask me, there's something wrong if a father can't see his daughter's breast without having uncomfortable thoughts. It's not like she was being sexual or anything. It's not like breastfeeding is unnatural or "sinful."
When my father heard this, he figured it might be a generational perspective rather than a lustful position. Dad said that things were different than they were today. That staring at a woman who was breast feeding in the older days must have seemed inappropriate for those times.

Ðanisty

When my father heard this, he figured it might be a generational perspective rather than a lustful position. Dad said that things were different than they were today. That staring at a woman who was breast feeding in the older days must have seemed inappropriate for those times.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that he stare. :eek: Well, regardless of what your father does think or what her father probably thinks, speaking from this generation I find it disturbing. That may be part of what's bothering her.

lizskid

BANNED
Why did you have to watch?

Well, she was a total of 24 inches away from me, facing me and I was trying to actually look in the direct of my plate! So, there she was. I didn't really have to watch, I had to avoid seeing her!

Booko

Deviled Hen
I have no problem at all with public breastfeeding, but I am unalterably opposed to taking babies to restaurants. Or movies.

I took our son to restaurants and movies when he was an infant and you never would've known he was there. If he'd made noise, we would've left hastily. Once he hit toddlerhood the movies were out. It's too hard for even a calm kid to sit still that long. We just had videos at home -- that was easier for everyone.

I took pains to take him when he wasn't likely to make a fuss, and he isn't a fussy kid anyway, lucky me.

I know what you mean about disruptive kids in places like that, though. I sometimes wonder why managers are more concerned about parents who can't or won't control their kids than they are about the 100 other patrons who are disturbed by the bad behaviour.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am staunchly and adamantly opposed to breast feeding babies. Babies should be fed their mother's milk and not chicken breasts. It's shocking to me that this is no longer understood by people. What's the world coming to when mothers start feeding their infants chicken breasts instead of milk? Let's be reasonable people! Let's get with the program! Am I the only one who understands the importance of this?

I think it is only chicken Breasts in restaurants that they object to.:)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I have never in my life been inconvenienced by a mother breastfeeding a child- and I have been inconvenienced by mothers with children many times.

I can't count how many times I've gone to the bathroom and waited for quite some time for the handicapped stall to be emptied, and it's always some mother who believed that the handicapped stall was the OK Corral for Kids not a fellow disabled person.
Now see, this is the type of situation that a mom certainly deserves some understanding as well. A mother takes her kids into the larger disabled stall because she can keep them all with her. The disabled stalls are not just for the disabled, they're for everybody or else you'd get a ticket while using one. :p I'm sure she had no idea you were coming into the bathroom. If you both had entered at the same time, my thought is she would have acquiesced and allowed you first use.

Women shouldn't feel shamed for breast-feeding.
Nobody is trying to shame women...not at all. From what I can tell, most posters who are arguing the other side simply think some consideration should be given to all involved. Since when is consideration a bad thing? Not everyone wants to see some lady's boob. Frankly, I have no clue why a woman would want everyone to see it. A small baby blanket or cloth diaper is usually with her anyway. I don't see the hassle in throwing it over her shoulder and the baby while in a restaurant.

lunamoth

Will to love
Now see, this is the type of situation that a mom certainly deserves some understanding as well. A mother takes her kids into the larger disabled stall because she can keep them all with her. The disabled stalls are not just for the disabled, they're for everybody or else you'd get a ticket while using one. :p I'm sure she had no idea you were coming into the bathroom. If you both had entered at the same time, my thought is she would have acquiesced and allowed you first use.
Sheepishly raises hand. I'm guilty of using the wheel-chair access stalls with my kids for the exact reason Buttercup states. When the little one could only be in a stroller while I assisted the one learning to go I would be nervous about leaving her outside the stall where I could not see her. Then when they were both going potty and both needed assistance...well it was a three-ring- circus no matter what we did but the big stall was often the best answer. If I saw anyone with a cane or wheel chair anywhere near I would wait and be sure not to take it ahead of them. :eek:

Nobody is trying to shame women...not at all. From what I can tell, most posters who are arguing the other side simply think some consideration should be given to all involved. Since when is consideration a bad thing? Not everyone wants to see some lady's boob. Frankly, I have no clue why a woman would want everyone to see it. A small baby blanket or cloth diaper is usually with her anyway. I don't see the hassle in throwing it over her shoulder and the baby while in a restaurant.

I think it is perfectly acceptable for a woman to breastfeed in public and yes, just throw a little blanket over for modesty. I would hate to deter either breastfeeding or giving moms of infants complete freedom to go out with their babies.

Ðanisty

Well being a mother doesn't seem much different from being disabled if you ask me. :run:

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I have to jump in again on this one. :p

When a person is eating an expensive dinner in a restaurant, you have a right to not listen to some strangers baby sucking loudly all the while dribbling milk down it's mother's obviously exposed huge breast.

Ok, I see your point, but do you think it can be done in the restaurant? I mean, with a blanket naturally - my point is that it shouldn't really be that much of a hassle IMO

I certainly do.

And TBH, I don't think the sound of a baby sucking is that hard to ignore - especially if you're not there with that person.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you want to change social mores you have to break down the existing ones. Changing attitudes or sensibilities is always disconcerting to those comfortably ensconsed in the status quo.
Progress is made by thouse who flout convention.

Ladies, bob your hair, shorten your skirts, smoke, enter the professions, feed your babies, take off your shirts on hot days....
Society will adjust. The sky will not fall.