• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bright side of Atheism

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
You asked the question of where Atheists derive their morals and sense of right and wrong. My thought is that they are socially constructed for all of us. Our innate sense of right and wrong is fine tuned, filtered and through the groups around us a general consensus is brought forth. I don't see Christians and Atheists having a vastly differing moral compass, in general. Do you think atheists follow a different set of social rules? If so, could you give me some examples?

I think part of it would be environmental but I think psychology plays a large part. I think that Freud came up with a good concept as to how it may work but there is a whole field that is dedicated to researching and studying the subject.

Looncall

I honestly have no idea where they, in general, they get their morals from - I mean, a common answer is "I get them from inside myself," so I'd have to go with that one, but that's why I was sincerely asking questions on this thread and others.

I'm not trying to squelch the conversation - my questions are genuine.

I arm puzzled by all this angst about morals. Surely we can figure out what actions are harmful then avoid them. If I steal from you, I give you permission to steal from me. I would have thought that the golden rule was pretty obvious.

What has muddied things is arbitrary taboos introduced by religion and divorced from their origin. For example, I suspect that the muslim unhealthy fixation on sex may have come from concerns around inheritance among desert tribes. (I don't know if that's accurate, but it is at least plausible.)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If we disbelieve do we know of it? Faith is not about knowing, makes believing a guess or a gamble.

Quran mentions it clearly:

The Holy Quran : Chapter 75: Al-Qiyamah

[75:11] On that day man will say, ‘Whither to escape?’
[75:12] Nay! There is no refuge!
[75:13] With thy Lord alone will be the place of rest that day.
[75:14] That day will man be informed of that which he has sent forward and left behind.
[75:15] Nay, man is a witness against himself;
[75:16] Even though he puts forward his excuses.

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

We don't judge anybody.

Man will be fairly judged by G-d.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"Unfounded" is fundamental to disbelief, ie, lacking evidence leads to disbelief.
Would we be punished for not believing in unevidenced things?
If so, disbelief in Zeus, Odin, God, Allah, Lakshmi, The FSM, & every other deity
will doom us all.....except for panthiests, if dilution of belief isn't itself punishable.

We believe the truthful religion very naturally. Those who disbelief un-naturally have to bring out the evidences. They have never done it, therefore, their disbelief is unfounded.
They have just leapt in the dark.

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
We believe the truthful religion very naturally. Those who disbelief un-naturally have to bring out the evidences. They have never done it, therefore, their disbelief is unfounded.

Regards

... sorry, but... do you even know what you mean to say here?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Quran mentions it clearly:

The Holy Quran : Chapter 75: Al-Qiyamah

[75:11] On that day man will say, ‘Whither to escape?’
[75:12] Nay! There is no refuge!
[75:13] With thy Lord alone will be the place of rest that day.
[75:14] That day will man be informed of that which he has sent forward and left behind.
[75:15] Nay, man is a witness against himself;
[75:16] Even though he puts forward his excuses.

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

We don't judge anybody.

Man will be fairly judged by G-d.

Regards

In that case, it must follow that either God does not exist or he does not have anything at all against disbelievers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Regards
What do "naturally" & "unnaturally" mean in this context?
I ask cuz it feels perfectly natural to disbelieve in things lacking evidence.

Btw, I'd argue that to leap to conclusions without evidence or cogent reasoning,
& believe they're absolute inerrant 'truths' better fits the description of leaping
into the dark. This is because these 'truths' exclude conflicting possibilities,
thereby closing one's mind to them forever, no matter what the evidence.
As an example, we have young Earth creationists unable to accept overwhelming
evidence for & usefulness of evolution. I prefer to blind avoid leaping at all.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
If it makes people feel better themselves to pray for others, then they certainly should do it.

Call me heartless, but when the guy with the poorly wife said he didn't want any prayers said for her, I let it drop without a second thought and washed my hands of it with a clear conscience. I certainly wasn't going to offer up a prayer if he didn't want one, he had his chance..:)

PS- Here's another true story that had me scratching my head-
A Brit atheist in a forum once mentioned that his two young daughters liked him to take them to visit the alpacas (small llamas) at a local wildlife park and that they wanted to "adopt" one, but that the adoption fees were too high for him.
So I said "no problem mate, I know a few Christian groups who'd be happy to chip in and cover the cost, how much do you need, will 100 GB pounds (160 US dollars) be enough?"
But to my surprise he never gave me a straight answer, he waffled something like "you don't mean it" blah blah, so I let it drop and forgot it.
Perhaps his atheist principles wouldn't let him accept cash from Christians, I dunno. What would other atheists have said to the offer?
So as far as I know his daughters never did get their alpaca..

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A Brit atheist in a forum once mentioned that his two young daughters liked him to take them to visit the alpacas (small llamas) at a local wildlife park and that they wanted to "adopt" one, but that the adoption fees were too high for him.
So I said "no problem mate, I know a few Christian groups who'd be happy to chip in and cover the cost, how much do you need, will 100 GB pounds (160 US dollars) be enough?"
But to my surprise he never gave me a straight answer, he waffled something like "you don't mean it" blah blah, so I let it drop and forgot it.
Perhaps his atheist principles wouldn't let him accept cash from Christians, I dunno. What would other atheists have said to the offer?
Some people have trouble being direct.
Perhaps it wasn't about religion so much as his disbelief in a free lunch.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
You asked the question of where Atheists derive their morals and sense of right and wrong. My thought is that they are socially constructed for all of us. Our innate sense of right and wrong is fine tuned, filtered and through the groups around us a general consensus is brought forth. I don't see Christians and Atheists having a vastly differing moral compass, in general. Do you think atheists follow a different set of social rules? If so, could you give me some examples?

I think the vast majority of all humans operate on what I call "human nature" which is modified to some extent by their environment. I agree - this includes religious and non religious people.

Where my faith (not "religion" as defined by the trappings of religious organizations) comes in handy for me, and I suspect for others, is giving strength to withstand the temptation to do things that may harm ourselves or others. My faith gives me comfort when I feel foolish, lonely, desperate, angry, frustrated, sad, etc. My faith gives me hope when I and others let myself down.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Call me heartless, but when the guy with the poorly wife said he didn't want any prayers said for her, I let it drop without a second thought and washed my hands of it with a clear conscience. I certainly wasn't going to offer up a prayer if he didn't want one, he had his chance..:)

That is certainly ok in my book. I see where you are coming from.

Hard to tell what another person felt when I don't know him, but it is not all that unusual for people to feel uncomfortable (thanks, Alceste!) about receiving other people's money.

It is interesting to ask why exactly. I don't think the reasons are all that well-understood and widely told, but in many cases a significant factor may be the feeling of loss of control over one's own life, perspectives and expectations.

Or, tl:dr: it is embarrassing to need other people's help to satisfy one's own daughters. It may be more embarrassing still if there is some sort of clear statement made that the helpers are of different beliefs.

Hard to tell whether he should have done differently without having been there - and even then it is a very personal matter.

Kathryn

I arm puzzled by all this angst about morals.

I don't have any angst about morals. Maybe others do, I don't know. A poster asked me to expound so I did. I was carrying on a conversation.

Surely we can figure out what actions are harmful then avoid them. If I steal from you, I give you permission to steal from me. I would have thought that the golden rule was pretty obvious.

Yes, you'd think. But look around us. Watch the news. Observe the way people hurt each other. For that matter, look back on your own life (I say that including myself in that statement) and ask yourself why you've ever done anything to hurt others or ourselves. Surely you don't lay all or even most of the blame for mankind's errant, harmful ways on religious ideas.

What has muddied things is arbitrary taboos introduced by religion and divorced from their origin. For example, I suspect that the muslim unhealthy fixation on sex may have come from concerns around inheritance among desert tribes. (I don't know if that's accurate, but it is at least plausible.)

So maybe you DO blame all or most of man's foibles and harmful ways on religion. Do you?

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
To you, they're opinions - to some adherents of some groups, they are moral standards which are mandated to them by the group and/or leaders - and they feel guilty if they don't adhere to those standards, or they are booted from the group - or both.

There's no rule to YOU - but many groups do have such rules, standards, expectations, etc. To many of their adherents, these standards and expectations ARE rules. My point is that many people follow the standards and mandates of groups and societies and leaders whether they are religious in nature or not - and I just don't think you can speak for anyone but yourself as to whether or not people feel guilt or even condemnation from leaders or groups that aren't inherently religious.

Great!

By the way, one doesn't have to be a dog or a child to feel guilty, as you yourself state (you feel guilty sometimes too, by your own admission). I'm sure there are people all over the world who are dysfunctional, emotionally unhealthy, or scarred by life's experiences, or brainwashed, or insecure, or whatever, who feel unreasonable guilt about unreasonable things. But don't assume that when a religious person feels guilty, they're feeling guilty because they're "breaking the rules of some random authority figure." Many religious people feel guilt at times for very valid reasons.

You've misunderstood me. Dogs and children can feel guilty for no other reason than "breaking a rule" established by their caregiver. They don't have to understand the rule. A dog doesn't know why it's wrong to eat his best buddy's birthday cake while the kids are all downstairs watching a magician. All he knows is that mummy is furious and he's in trouble, and he feels awful.

Children are the same. Scribbling on the wall is perfectly moral and righteous for a child until mummy walks into the room, and they don't have to understand why it was wrong to feel ashamed of themselves for making mummy angry.

Religious morality reminds me of this. You don't need to understand rules like the absurd sexual prohibitions to feel guilty for making God disappointed in you when you masturbate.

I am not a dog or a child: I govern my own behaviour and establish the rules, all of which are well-reasoned and reasonable. I understand what is wrong and why, and the only authority figure I am concerned about disappointing is myself.

As to the groups, I still disagree that people who don't drink tapwater etc. are the equivalent of religious prohibitions. I doubt we'll find any common ground there.

Kathryn

You've misunderstood me. Dogs and children can feel guilty for no other reason than "breaking a rule" established by their caregiver. They don't have to understand the rule. A dog doesn't know why it's wrong to eat his best buddy's birthday cake while the kids are all downstairs watching a magician. All he knows is that mummy is furious and he's in trouble, and he feels awful.

Children are the same. Scribbling on the wall is perfectly moral and righteous for a child until mummy walks into the room, and they don't have to understand why it was wrong to feel ashamed of themselves for making mummy angry.

Thanks for clarifying.

Religious morality reminds me of this. You don't need to understand rules like the absurd sexual prohibitions to feel guilty for making God disappointed in you when you masturbate.

Here's another way to look at it:

When my kids were very small, I told them "Don't touch that stove." Now - they couldn't understand the concept of gas leaks or open flames killing or injuring people, and at a very young age, it would have been a waste of my time to try to explain the nature of natural gas or fire to them. All they needed to know was "Don't touch that stove." Same with playing in the street, or any other number of things. Heck, let's use your example of writing on the walls. They don't have an understanding of interior decorating, housekeeping, or the rights of others to their own personal property when they're 18 months old.

Yes, we can begin to BUILD their understanding of these concepts (along with how natural gas works or the dangers of fire), but before they can fully grasp WHY they shouldn't do something, they still need to understand sometimes that they SHOULD NOT do something because I, their mother, says they shouldn't. Part of their learning process is learning who to trust, who to allow to have authority over their lives, and the differences between good leadership and wholesome authority, and poor leadership and authority. Every time I tell them something, give them some advice, or make a rule I enforce, and there are positive ramifications to my leadership/authority, I am teaching them the difference between good leadership and poor leadership - and who you should obey and who you shouldn't obey. If we are ever to be an integral part of our society, we are going to have to be submissive to some form of authority.

We're much the same way - we're not born with innate respect for the rights of others. We're not born with the wisdom we accumulate over time. And even as adults, we continue to learn and grow in different areas of our lives. Sure, we earn (or SHOULD earn) more autonomy as we mature, and more authority over our own lives and destiny, but we're still on a learning curve. Each of us has strong and weak areas - areas in which we excel emotionally and intellectually, and areas in which we are not as mature, or gifted.

I am not a dog or a child: I govern my own behaviour and establish the rules, all of why, and the only authority figure I am concerned about disappointing is myself.

If you pay taxes, you are under someone else's authority. If you ever work for anyone else, you're under their authority. If you attend a school, you're under someone else's authority. If you register your vehicle, or participate in this forum, or have a drivers license, or own your own business, you're still operating under the authority of other entities, who, by the way, didn't consult you usually when they were establishing their policies and procedures.

As to the groups, I still disagree that people who don't drink tapwater etc. are the equivalent of religious prohibitions. I doubt we'll find any common ground there.

Maybe you haven't had the interactions with radical ecological or "health" groups I've had. I KNOW there is common ground there - I've seen it with my own eyes. Many radical groups have absolutely no "religious affiliation" but they take their own belief systems to the extreme - and expect their adherents and "believers" to do the same.

My gosh, my husband had to put up with people literally chaining themselves to trees and being carted off private property recently. If you can't see the parallel between that mindset and the religious zealot's mindset, I certainly can.

Last edited:

4consideration

Premium Member
Regarding the guy with the poorly wife who said he didn't want any prayers for her, I let it drop like I said, but should I have gone behind his back and prayed for her anyway, and roped in Christian groups to do the same?
I think you did the right thing by respecting his wishes.

There are a number of possibilities for why he declined -- could be atheist, could be a theist and hold a very specific belief about the Creator and not want prayers from "outsiders." Could be a theist and simply be uncomfortable with the thought of strangers praying for her, etc.

I've known some people to not only decline prayers, but to vehemently object to prayers by people of other religions -- that they believe to be in error, and believe to be praying to the wrong entity.

PS- and was he right to refuse prayers on his wife's behalf? Should he have asked his wife if SHE wanted them?
I don't think there's any way for us to know if he was right, or not.

I think he's the one most likely to be aware of the wishes and beliefs of the woman involved, so I think the answer to your questions involve making some assumptions in place of actually having information about it -- and just picking an assumption -- or not making one, which stops the matter there, and leaves those questions unanswered.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
..I don't think there's any way for us to know if he was right, or not..

Yes, but even if he was an atheist he could easily have said "Yeah okay, go ahead and pray for my ill wife, it won't do any harm".
Same with the atheist alpaca guy, he could easily have said "Sure, go ahead and send me 100 pounds so I can adopt an alpaca for my daughters".
I mean, neither of them had anything to lose if they'd simply said yes!

Incidentally there are plenty of so-called "christians" around whose behaviour mystifies me too; for example a middleaged woman was a big shot in a local church and she had a lodger who was schizophrenic, so I said to her- "I can send a little package of Christian booklets and items to him if you tell me the address, so she told me.
But it turned out he never got the stuff because she'd given me a fictitious address!
I asked her about it later but she wouldn't give me a straight answer and fobbed me off by mumbling some nonsense about "a misunderstanding".
I'd always suspected there was something odd and shady about her anyway; but her sort can't get under the bible's radar..:)

Jesus said:-"Not all who call me "Lord,Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven. Then I'll tell them plainly, I never knew you, get away from me" (Matt 7:21-23)
"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ" (2 Cor 11:13/14)
"Ungodly men have slipped in among you" (Jude 4)

Alceste

Vagabond
Thanks for clarifying.

Here's another way to look at it:

When my kids were very small, I told them "Don't touch that stove." Now - they couldn't understand the concept of gas leaks or open flames killing or injuring people, and at a very young age, it would have been a waste of my time to try to explain the nature of natural gas or fire to them. All they needed to know was "Don't touch that stove." Same with playing in the street, or any other number of things. Heck, let's use your example of writing on the walls. They don't have an understanding of interior decorating, housekeeping, or the rights of others to their own personal property when they're 18 months old.

Yes, we can begin to BUILD their understanding of these concepts (along with how natural gas works or the dangers of fire), but before they can fully grasp WHY they shouldn't do something, they still need to understand sometimes that they SHOULD NOT do something because I, their mother, says they shouldn't. Part of their learning process is learning who to trust, who to allow to have authority over their lives, and the differences between good leadership and wholesome authority, and poor leadership and authority. Every time I tell them something, give them some advice, or make a rule I enforce, and there are positive ramifications to my leadership/authority, I am teaching them the difference between good leadership and poor leadership - and who you should obey and who you shouldn't obey. If we are ever to be an integral part of our society, we are going to have to be submissive to some form of authority.

We're much the same way - we're not born with innate respect for the rights of others. We're not born with the wisdom we accumulate over time. And even as adults, we continue to learn and grow in different areas of our lives. Sure, we earn (or SHOULD earn) more autonomy as we mature, and more authority over our own lives and destiny, but we're still on a learning curve. Each of us has strong and weak areas - areas in which we excel emotionally and intellectually, and areas in which we are not as mature, or gifted.

If you pay taxes, you are under someone else's authority. If you ever work for anyone else, you're under their authority. If you attend a school, you're under someone else's authority. If you register your vehicle, or participate in this forum, or have a drivers license, or own your own business, you're still operating under the authority of other entities, who, by the way, didn't consult you usually when they were establishing their policies and procedures.

Maybe you haven't had the interactions with radical ecological or "health" groups I've had. I KNOW there is common ground there - I've seen it with my own eyes. Many radical groups have absolutely no "religious affiliation" but they take their own belief systems to the extreme - and expect their adherents and "believers" to do the same.

My gosh, my husband had to put up with people literally chaining themselves to trees and being carted off private property recently. If you can't see the parallel between that mindset and the religious zealot's mindset, I certainly can.

Actually, even at work, school, and in my dealings with the government, you will find a surprising amount of non-compliance. I am two years behind on my taxes (they owe me money, not the other way around, so they're not too fussed about it). I skipped 60% of my classes in high school. I've ignored the Internet use rules and the dress code in every job I've ever had, and showed up in my own good time every day unless there was a rational reason for me to arrive at a specific time. I break the laws I consider unreasonable. In fact, I feel this is somewhat of an ethical obligation.

So no, it is not in my nature to submit to authority when its demands are unreasonable. I've quit a number of jobs where individuals in leadership positions tried to intimidate me into compliance with their unreasonable rules - but I've never been fired. I have in several cases caused the rules to change by my non-compliance.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Or is that my liver?

You are just tossing that slow curve ball for me to crush over the right field wall, aren't you?

I double-dog dare you to slam that easy home run with the bases loaded to win the game.

*pours yet another double cognac*

Please alert us all when you finally confound yet another six year old with abject aspects of philosophy.

If Honey Boo-boo can earn a reality series alongside those Duck Dynasty "thinkers", you may yet have a shot :)