• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bright side of Atheism

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't see any danger in disbelief at all.
To believe only in that which has evidence is the safest course, ie, the default position.
The myth that some supreme being will punish us for not believing in some truth which
cannot be known to us is feckless. Who would know that truth which we should believe
in order to avoid punishment? Major religions & their sub-sects all disagree, so it appears
unknowable anyway.Thus, I'm comfortable being ignorant of the unknowable, which is
better than adopting unfounded beliefs as absolute inerrant truth.

I sure see sense in that.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

I'm not sure any of those examples are the equivalent of the church's suppression of natural expressions of human sexuality. They're opinions, and in general nobody feels guilty about prioritizing their own political opinions over somebody else's.

To you, they're opinions - to some adherents of some groups, they are moral standards which are mandated to them by the group and/or leaders - and they feel guilty if they don't adhere to those standards, or they are booted from the group - or both.

There's no "rule" that you have to do any of these things. One might choose to, but there's no "rule" about it.

There's no rule to YOU - but many groups do have such rules, standards, expectations, etc. To many of their adherents, these standards and expectations ARE rules. My point is that many people follow the standards and mandates of groups and societies and leaders whether they are religious in nature or not - and I just don't think you can speak for anyone but yourself as to whether or not people feel guilt or even condemnation from leaders or groups that aren't inherently religious.

Besides which, I'm not a dog or a child. I don't feel guilt for breaking the "rules" of some random authority figure. When I feel guilt, it's only ever because something I've done has hurt me or someone else.

Great!

By the way, one doesn't have to be a dog or a child to feel guilty, as you yourself state (you feel guilty sometimes too, by your own admission). I'm sure there are people all over the world who are dysfunctional, emotionally unhealthy, or scarred by life's experiences, or brainwashed, or insecure, or whatever, who feel unreasonable guilt about unreasonable things. But don't assume that when a religious person feels guilty, they're feeling guilty because they're "breaking the rules of some random authority figure." Many religious people feel guilt at times for very valid reasons.

Kathryn

There's racist religious groups that do think interracial relationships are a "sin" or otherwise forbidden.

Yeah, there's religious groups against that, too.

Just randomly throwing that out there.

Of course there are - and there are non religious groups with very kooky, and sometimes very destructive ideas and rules as well.

Kathryn

What are your thoughts on where agnostics and atheists get their morals and standards from since we (me and you) basically agree on the actions that are morally wrong or "sin".

I honestly have no idea where they, in general, they get their morals from - I mean, a common answer is "I get them from inside myself," so I'd have to go with that one, but that's why I was sincerely asking questions on this thread and others.

I'm not trying to squelch the conversation - my questions are genuine.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I honestly have no idea where they, in general, they get their morals from - I mean, a common answer is "I get them from inside myself," so I'd have to go with that one, but that's why I was sincerely asking questions on this thread and others.

Well I think that atheists get their morals from the same place as you do - their own moral compasses. That is how believers choose which of the biblical morals to uphold and which to dismiss.

Kathryn

Well I think that atheists get their morals from the same place as you do - their own moral compasses. That is how believers choose which of the biblical morals to uphold and which to dismiss.

Where do moral compasses come from?

I pretty much got my morals from my parents, and my kids learn from my wife and I. Not everything gets translated exactly though. My mother was against interracial marriage where my kids weren't even aware of racial difference until they learned about it outside the home.

Kathryn

Don't you think most ethical standards were socially constructed regarding origin? I can't imagine cavemen would put up with some dude from another cave stealing his club, food or wife.

I agree that I can't imagine a caveman putting up with it, but I also CAN imagine a caveman justifying stealing someone else's club, food, or wife. I think that it's human nature to make excuses for our own bad behavior.

I pretty much got my morals from my parents, and my kids learn from my wife and I. Not everything gets translated exactly though. My mother was against interracial marriage where my kids weren't even aware of racial difference until they learned about it outside the home.
Mom also taught me that atheists were filthy and disgusting people that I should not associate with. Go figure.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Hey! I have a glass to raise, too! This is two nights in a row though, do you think we have a problem? Oh, well. :cool:

It's only a "problem" if you continuously spill that drink in your lap.

That would qualify as a "drinking problem"...otherwise, you're good.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I agree that I can't imagine a caveman putting up with it, but I also CAN imagine a caveman justifying stealing someone else's club, food, or wife. I think that it's human nature to make excuses for our own bad behavior.

You asked the question of where Atheists derive their morals and sense of right and wrong. My thought is that they are socially constructed for all of us. Our innate sense of right and wrong is fine tuned, filtered and through the groups around us a general consensus is brought forth. I don't see Christians and Atheists having a vastly differing moral compass, in general. Do you think atheists follow a different set of social rules? If so, could you give me some examples?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
You asked the question of where Atheists derive their morals and sense of right and wrong. My thought is that they are socially constructed for all of us. Our innate sense of right and wrong is fine tuned, filtered and through the groups around us a general consensus is brought forth. I don't see Christians and Atheists having a vastly differing moral compass, in general. Do you think atheists follow a different set of social rules? If so, could you give me some examples?

As I inquired in another thread...if you awoke tomorrow utterly devoid of religious beliefs/inclinations...would you then feel more inclined to murder you neighbors? If not, then what has any belief in a "God" have to do with morality?

Hmmmm?

It's only a "problem" if you continuously spill that drink in your lap.

That would qualify as a "drinking problem"...otherwise, you're good.

I found a new way to exercise. Put my glass just out of reach so I have to lean forward every time I want a drink. I can feel the pounds melting away.