• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coronation of Christian King Charles III

Alien826

No religious beliefs
..that is what I always understood.
If Charles had publicly declared that he was no longer a Christian/Protestant, it
would not have been a workable situation for him to have become King.
Yes, there are practical problems too. For example the monarch is also the "Supreme Governor" of the Church of England, a largely ceremonial and symbolic position, but it would not sit well with the CofE Bishops to have a Muslim or atheist in that position. That's on top of it being the law of course.
However, being a Protestant Christian, does NOT mean that Charles would necessarily rule out Islam as being "false" ,
or whatever..
How King Charles actually feels about his religious faith or lack thereof is not very relevant. Part of the job is to profess Christianity and that's what he will do, attending church services when expected to, and so on. It is also expected that he keep quiet about contentious matters of all kinds (something he has not done before becoming King, we'll see how it goes). So we shouldn't worry about anti Muslim outbursts!

My personal feeling, and I have no real evidence, is that he probably isn't very religious. He's always been a "modern man" in other ways, and that would fit with agnosticism at least. We'll never know.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
The "five solas" of the Protestant reformation are incompatible with Islam. Accepting them as true carries with it the implication that Islam is false in many of its key points..
It is a cousin .. an Abrahamic faith, which teaches about the One God of Abraham.
The trinity is the main "stumbling block" .. but arguing about that does not achieve anything..
..and I feel sure that Charles is very aware of that.

In fact, he has been a speaker at Oxford University Islamic society.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It is a cousin .. an Abrahamic faith, which teaches about the One God of Abraham.
The trinity is the main "stumbling block" .. but arguing about that does not achieve anything..
..and I feel sure that Charles is very aware of that.

In fact, he has been a speaker at Oxford University Islamic society.
Not just the Trinity. It's also about different views on whether the Quran is divine scripture (their position is that it's not), Muhammad is a prophet (their position is that he can't be), and how salvation is achieved (their view is that it's through belief alone, not through works or prayer).

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
My personal feeling, and I have no real evidence, is that he probably isn't very religious. He's always been a "modern man" in other ways, and that would fit with agnosticism at least. We'll never know.
I don't agree .. I think he takes his faith seriously.
..not to extreme, quite clearly .. he let's his hair down.. ;)

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
..and how salvation is achieved (their view is that it's through belief alone, not through works or prayer..
Err .. no .. the C of E whilst being Protestant is not Calvinist or Lutheran.
The C of E services tend to be more like a Catholic service .. but without mass or confession.
Like Catholics, they believe that works play a part in our salvation.

Zwing

Do you think any Senior member of the Royal family could be Prosecuted in any Court of Law in the World for a crime?
Maybe not, that’s hard to assess, but I kind of favor the concept of social privilege to a certain extent, and so am not so sure they should be subject to prosecution, except by a special court of their peers. I will have to think about that… I do tend to have an elitist streak which clouds my thinking on such issues.

Keep in mind that generally, men (myself included) don’t want wealth simply for wealth’s sake (after all, how much caviar can one enjoy before he wants a simple slice of pizza…how much money can one man spend without satisfaction being subject to the rule of “diminishing returns”?) No, men want wealth in order to have social status, dominance, privilege, and power over others in society…power to have their own will realized over the will of others. As I say, despite being a naturally empathetic person, I could want nothing more myself!

EDIT: At least, that’s what my “id” tells me to want. My “superego” fights a losing battle against that desire.

King Charles III did Not attain the Throne by Physical Force. That has happened in the past, although Not in recent history.
But his “blood” (his genetic line) did (or, didn’t it?), and I think that is the basis for the argument of his legitimacy, that the reward for the valor of the forefather should be transmitted to the genetic (or “blood”) descendants thereof. (Actually, I don’t know enough about the history of the British monarchy to say that with any certainty, as I think the genetic line has changed a number of times since William, but the argument seems to be that the reward for William’s valor is somehow transmuted to all successive monarchs.)
Have you considered that it could be that you are Ignorant of Spirits because of your Lifestyle? Living a Materialist Lifestyle makes you Ignorant of Spirits.
Oh, yes. I am definitely a materialist, wasn’t always, though. I once took God’s existence for granted, having been raised Roman Catholic and spending time as a more “fundamentalist” Christian before certain events in my life caused the reevaluation of my belief system which resulted in my current atheism. I have eschewed all aspects of the supernatural except those which can be demonstrated to possess some truth value. In fact, the reason I joined this site was with the intention of investigating the possibilities of non-theistic, non-supernatural religion. You wouldn’t know it, though. Of late, I’ve rather been punching holes in the claims of theists and being generally argumentative, probably because doing so has reflected my sour mood of the past couple of weeks. I need to stop all that, and get back to the task which I set for myself at the beginning. Problem is, I apparently cannot select a DIR of a religion that I do not practice in order to discuss ideas, which restriction I was not aware of initially.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
1 Kings 1:34-45

Zadok the priest and Nathan the prophet anointed Solomon king.
And all the people rejoiced and said:
God save the King! Long live the King! God save the King!
May the King live for ever. Amen. Hallelujah.

On 6 May 2023 Christian King Charles III will be Crowned in a Coronation Ceremony symbolising Christian Spiritual and Temporal Powers.

The last Coronation we had in England was almost 70 years ago with the Crowning of Christian Queen Elizabeth II.

480px-Charles_III_coronation_emblem.svg.png

Zadok the Priest

What are you thoughts on the Coronation? Do you think King Charles III has Real Christian Spiritual and Temporal Powers? Do you believe that King Charles III is a practising Christian? Is the British Crown Christian and not necessarily the Monarch that sits on the Throne? Given that British King is head of the Church of England, does this mean that the King must be a Christian?
I don't understand why you guys need a King. And if you do have a king as a figurehead, it seems to me that a simple vow before parliament would suffice. I really don't understand this enormous amount of pageantry that you guys felt was necessary. The idea that the King is head of teh Anglican church also seems to be hugely outdated, and I find it so odd that your ceremony incorporated so much Christianity. I also thought it was scandelous that people who were peacefully protesting were arrested.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Do you think any Senior member of the Royal family could be Prosecuted in any Court of Law in the World for a crime?

Charles I was.

These days, they just settle out of court.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't understand why you guys need a King. And if you do have a king as a figurehead, it seems to me that a simple vow before parliament would suffice. I really don't understand this enormous amount of pageantry that you guys felt was necessary. The idea that the King is head of teh Anglican church also seems to be hugely outdated, and I find it so odd that your ceremony incorporated so much Christianity. I also thought it was scandelous that people who were peacefully protesting were arrested.

Interestingly, in Canada it seems like there's a deliberate attempt to remove the trappings of religiosity from the monarchy.

I think I already mentioned that Conservative MPPs here have replaced the slogan "God Save the King" with "Long Live the King," and today I found out that the official crown image that will be used by the federal government in various insignia has had all crosses and fleurs-de-lis (symbolizing the Trinity) removed:

Attachments

• Fvd67ZyXoAI9K7D.jpeg
    Fvd67ZyXoAI9K7D.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 43

Elihoenai

I'm not sure how one would define a "real Christian" but Henry VIII was quite devout in his younger days. He wrote a piece supporting the Catholic Church and the Pope awarded him the title Fidei Defensor, which means 'Defender of the Faith'. The title was revoked when Henry broke with Rome in 1530, but in 1544 the English Parliament conferred it on the King who, as supreme governor of the Church of England, was defender of the Anglican faith. 'Fid Def' or the letters 'FD' have appeared on coins since the 18th century.
Is the Personal Behaviour of Henry VIII that of a Real Christian? If Henry VIII was Really Devout in his younger days, how was able to Stray in his older days? Doesn't being Really Devout keep you that way throughout your entire life?

Who Were the Six Wives of Henry VIII?

Elihoenai

It's not my place to judge that. That's between him and God, I guess, not him and me.
Matthew 16:13

13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

If you know Elohim's/God's Standard of what is a Real Christian, you can Judge whether or Not Henry VIII was a Real Christian. Otherwise, how do you separate Christian from Non-Christian, given that you don't know what a Real Christian is? It's Elohim's/God's Place to Judge.

WHOM DO MEN SAY THAT I THE SON OF MAN AM?

Last edited:

Elihoenai

Oh undoubtedly. Just a very bad one.
Isaiah 45:7

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Matthew 28:18

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

The Evil/Bad Christians are the Earthly Christians. The Evil/Bad Christians are Real Earthly Christians. Elohim/God has given Evil/Bad Christians Dominion over the Earth through Jesus.

exchemist

Veteran Member
History and tradition. Such things are not "needed" of course. And if you are of a Calvinistic cast of mind, you may feel anything that that is not needed should be stripped away and disposed of. It's one view. But a lot of us are not Calvinists. We see value in things that are not strictly needed.