• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Debate of God.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I feel that impersonal is an improper word here because it diminishes God. God is Consciousness completely unfettered by bonds of ego. God transcends identifying with a personality. God doesn't lack personality. God transcends it.

Transcend your own personality and you will know the mind of God.

Can you answer this:

Imagine a dime in a random place in a large mall parking lot. That dime is the size of our galaxy. The entire parking lot is our universe. Where are we in the dime? Well, I'd say the eye of Franklin Roosevelt would be our solar system, so some small place within the eye on the dime.

Why would God care about that? If something that is as large as the universe, or at least larger than our galaxy, existed, it'd see us no more than an electron, that's how small we are.

If we were truly important, we would be in the center of that parking lot on a much larger coin.

Believing God talks to people here, or believing we have souls, and especially believing he incarnated himself on here, is completely absurd.

ab·surd/əbˈsərd/
Adjective:
(of an idea or suggestion) Wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate: "so you think I'm a spy? How absurd!".
(of a person or a person's behavior or actions) Foolish; unreasonable.

nnmartin

Is there really a difference whether God is personal or not , or is some kind of essence or immanent power (as I believe Doors of Perception is saying?) - it is still God.

does one of these forms exist? - yes, I believe so.

chinu

chinu
I am simply going to use this thread as a means to discuss the existence of God with anyone. I am constantly discussing this with people, and feel I should have a main thread to post on.

If anyone wishes to argue that god (or whatever deity you believe in) is true, I have questions ready. Thank you.
I have seen "God"
And.. I have answers ready.:)

Last edited:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Can you answer this:

Imagine a dime in a random place in a large mall parking lot. That dime is the size of our galaxy. The entire parking lot is our universe. Where are we in the dime? Well, I'd say the eye of Franklin Roosevelt would be our solar system, so some small place within the eye on the dime.

Why would God care about that? If something that is as large as the universe, or at least larger than our galaxy, existed, it'd see us no more than an electron, that's how small we are.

If we were truly important, we would be in the center of that parking lot on a much larger coin.

Believing God talks to people here, or believing we have souls, and especially believing he incarnated himself on here, is completely absurd.

ab·surd/əbˈsərd/
Adjective:
(of an idea or suggestion) Wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate: "so you think I'm a spy? How absurd!".

Very good point, and completely valid argument. However, the idea seems to tie with a god that is separate from us. I find believing in such a god absurd itself. If god is completely separate from us, there is no way to reconnect with it. Even in heaven we would seemingly be exactly the same (except happier), separate from god and likely still slaves to him. If we are part of god, all we have to do is find the path back and follow it, therefore becoming enlightened.

If enlightenment must be earned, it makes no sense why god would guide us straight to the light, holding our hand through life. There is no spiritual meaning in religions believing such.

The Sum of Awe

Very good point, and completely valid argument. However, the idea seems to tie with a god that is separate from us. I find believing in such a god absurd itself. If god is completely separate from us, there is no way to reconnect with it. Even in heaven we would seemingly be exactly the same (except happier), separate from god and likely still slaves to him. If we are part of god, all we have to do is find the path back and follow it, therefore becoming enlightened.

If enlightenment must be earned, it makes no sense why god would guide us straight to the light, holding our hand through life. There is no spiritual meaning in religions believing such.

But why must we reconnect with it?

Also thanks for replying :)

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Can you answer this:

ab·surd/əbˈsərd/
Adjective:

This may sound like bulletproof logic to some people but I'll take a stab at dismantling it.

It sounds like you're saying that God must necessarily equate physical size with importance. Although, I believe you are quite wrong in this assumption, I do see where it comes from. After all, what are ants to us? How much less must we be to God?

But, does this really always hold? Isn't planet earth's ability to support life make it more significant than countless planets many hundreds of times its size? Is a baby less significant than an adult? Or an elephant? Your criteria for judging significance seems to me to be wildly inaccurate even for us. To suggest further that this must be the criteria by which God judges significance seems like an absurd proposition to me.

Thank you for that definition by the way.

Tiberius

But the question of physical size does relate to the issue. After all, if God created the universe solely for us, then why is so much of it forever isolated from us? What's the poiint of all those stars millions of lightyears away?

Prophet

But the question of physical size does relate to the issue. After all, if God created the universe solely for us, then why is so much of it forever isolated from us? What's the poiint of all those stars millions of lightyears away?

I, for one, would be shocked if "aliens" did not exist.

Tiberius

Oh yeah, given the size of the universe, the sheer number of planets out there (even gas giants can have moons capable of supporting life of some kind) as well as the fact that life (on Earth at least) seems to be able to exist anywhere that there is liquid water, I'd say it's practically certain that there is life out there that did not originate on Earth.

Intelligent life is another matter. I think that is also likely, but much less common than other more basic forms of life.

I think the vast majority of life is bacterial, or similar.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I'd like some answers to this:

ab·surd/əbˈsərd/
Adjective:

God created a universe like this as a display of his power. He placed us in the best planet for life and created the rest to humble us and amaze us. That a good enough answer? :D

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Just the fact that God might exist is good enough for me.

How does anyone know that he doesn't?

Do you know that you will wake up tomorrow - not for sure no, yet most people make at least some plans for the next day - based on faith and perception.

The same with God - the belief that he/she/it is out there is enough even without proof.

Until someone can prove there is no God then the odds are at least 50/50 however you look at it.

50/50 is quite a good bet for the chance of eternal life.

Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Also the chance isn't 50/50 when several different ideas of god contradict in a way that only one can be right

The Sum of Awe

This may sound like bulletproof logic to some people but I'll take a stab at dismantling it.

It sounds like you're saying that God must necessarily equate physical size with importance. Although, I believe you are quite wrong in this assumption, I do see where it comes from. After all, what are ants to us? How much less must we be to God?

But, does this really always hold? Isn't planet earth's ability to support life make it more significant than countless planets many hundreds of times its size? Is a baby less significant than an adult? Or an elephant? Your criteria for judging significance seems to me to be wildly inaccurate even for us. To suggest further that this must be the criteria by which God judges significance seems like an absurd proposition to me.

Thank you for that definition by the way.

Earth isn't unique or significant just because it can hold life. I'm sure there are over billions of planets in just this galaxy that have the ability to hold life, in fact we found one, and some consider Mars one.

Just because it is able to hold life doesn't mean it does.

Whether God finds important on size or not, our place takes it out abnormally too. We're not in the center of the parking lot, we're far off to the left. And why this specific size and spot? You know each individual is made of other individual, living creatures? You got skin cells, germs, tons of things. Why don't they have writings or knowledge of God, why doesn't God give them mystical experiences, etc.

Prophet

Earth isn't unique or significant just because it can hold life. I'm sure there are over billions of planets in just this galaxy that have the ability to hold life, in fact we found one, and some consider Mars one.

Just because it is able to hold life doesn't mean it does.

Whether God finds important on size or not, our place takes it out abnormally too. We're not in the center of the parking lot, we're far off to the left. And why this specific size and spot? You know each individual is made of other individual, living creatures? You got skin cells, germs, tons of things. Why don't they have writings or knowledge of God, why doesn't God give them mystical experiences, etc.

I've never explored a habitable alien landscape. Thus, I must work from known to unknown. Here is a known. Everywhere on earth where life is possible, it emerges. I don't know why, but it does. If earth is as not special as you seem to posit (and in this regard, I agree), it would stand to reason that life will appear on every other planet where it is possible.

With regards to your question about where we are in the universe, I never never told anyone that God planned this all out. He set the universe in motion to let life emerge, evolve, and find its way back to Him, and He absolutely will not interfere.

The Sum of Awe

I've never explored a habitable alien landscape. Thus, I must work from known to unknown. Here is a known. Everywhere on earth where life is possible, it emerges. I don't know why, but it does. If earth is as not special as you seem to posit (and in this regard, I agree), it would stand to reason that life will appear on every other planet where it is possible.

Why does it stand to reason that? Life is possible almost anywhere, all it needs is an adapting form of organism. For example, they found something that could be evolving into life on Pluto,

Surface of Pluto May Contain Organic Molecules - Yahoo! News

With regards to your question about where we are in the universe, I never never told anyone that God planned this all out. He set the universe in motion to let life emerge, evolve, and find its way back to Him, and He absolutely will not interfere.

So will we be seeing skin cells in the afterlife? Nanobes? Fungi? Etc.

And if that were true, why is there much more nonliving organisms and objects in the universe than living?

The Sum of Awe

why? Pourqoui? Dou****e?

We only make .000000000000000000001% of the galaxy, not even that. The space we take up in the entire universe has to be 0.(insert googol zeros here)1

If anything we'd be part of the decoration