• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Debate of God.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Outhouse:

Is it possible for you to make a point without being insulting?

I don't see where he was being 'insulting' in his posts in this thread. Care to show some posts where he has been?

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
because it doesnt make a lick of sense

No

yes we do and your heading into imagination

This was a post from outhouse to apophenia.

Saying the equivalent of "no, you're wrong" in three different ways without giving anything approaching a rationale is not a real debate tactic.

Such tactics do not add any actual strength to a debater's case. Beings who are insecure in the strength of their arguments often use an inflated sense of certainty to gain the appearance of strength. Outhouse does this by routinely insulting anyone who is "asking for it" and stating his highly disputed opinions as fact.

On a playground, amongst school children, what outhouse engages in is called "bullying". It is my opinion that abuse of this type has no place in debate.

P.S. My first ever interaction with outhouse was him saying to me "fail, try again" or some garbage like that.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
This was a post from outhouse to apophenia.

Saying the equivalent of "no, you're wrong" in three different ways without giving anything approaching a rationale is not a real debate tactic.

Such tactics do not add any actual strength to a debater's case. Beings who are insecure in the strength of their arguments often use an inflated sense of certainty to gain the appearance of strength. Outhouse does this by routinely insulting anyone who is "asking for it" and stating his highly disputed opinions as fact.

On a playground, amongst school children, what outhouse engages in is called "bullying". It is my opinion that abuse of this type has no place in debate.

P.S. My first ever interaction with outhouse was him saying to me "fail, try again" or some garbage like that.

the guy made a post that really didnt make a lick of sense, he even admits its his own version. Its not a stretch at all to call it imagination because it clearly is.

Im sure the man who wrote it would probably say the same thing, he understands he made this concept up and is not following someone elses theology.

Prophet

Is a "failure to make a lick of sense" a good reason to employ condescending, dismissive language against another person?

Schoolyard bullies will often choose to pick on other children who are different in some way which they cannot make sense of. What separates the rationale for the behavior of a bigoted bully on a playground from your rationale for using abusive language online in debate? That's a rhetorical question. The rationale is exactly the same.

outhouse

Atheistically
Is a "failure to make a lick of sense" a good reason to employ condescending, dismissive language against another person?

but what if it is true?? what if it really made no sense at all.?

Schoolyard bullies will often choose to pick on other children who are different in some way which they cannot make sense of. What separates the rationale for the behavior of a bigoted bully on a playground from your rationale for using abusive language online in debate? That's a rhetorical question. The rationale is exactly the same.

So do you think its a good idea to state things as fact that are not true? Thi sis a religious forum but it is also a educational forum as well and heavily moderated so they we dont get carried away.

As far as internet forums go, my statement was pretty safe. your a second hand party and have more of a problem then the person i was talking to.

outhouse

Atheistically
So far noone has really considered the possibility that awareness is a fundamental like gravity or strong and weak forces in the atom.

please prophet

help me make sense of this, I honestly dont have a clue where to begin its so far out there.

wiki

Awareness is the state or ability to perceive, to feel, or to be conscious of events, objects or sensory patterns. In this level of consciousness, sense data can be confirmed by an observer without necessarily implying understanding. More broadly, it is the state or quality of being aware of something. In biological psychology, awareness is defined as a human's or an animal's perception and cognitive reaction to a condition or event.

How can this be associated with gravity or atoms in any way shape or form?

Tiberius

It's like in Star Trek. They have to establish some crazy far out thing, so they explain it using a bunch of technobabble which sounds very impressive but ultimately means nothing. Same thing as here.

Bird123

I am simply going to use this thread as a means to discuss the existence of God with anyone. I am constantly discussing this with people, and feel I should have a main thread to post on.

If anyone wishes to argue that god (or whatever deity you believe in) is true, I have questions ready. Thank you.
If God exists, then God can be found. Do you even search or do you wait for the answers to come to you??? If you are convinced that God does not exist, you probably won't do a thorough search thereby wasting your time indeed. If you are open to all possibilities and have an undying hunger to know the real truth, you have a good chance at success. Where does one look for God???? Hmmm?? A Spiritual Being might be pretty hard to find in a physical universe. Hmmm?? There is a starting point, however you must be willing to do what it takes. God doesn't give everyone all the answers. God places knowledge out there for us to discover. How long did mankind watch birds fly before he figured out how?? It was there all along. Back to the starting point on your quest to discover God. In this time based causal universe, God's actions can be seen. When you figure out how it all does add up and what is going on with this world, you begin to understand how God thinks. This will lead to more ideas and more doors to open. Like everything in life,it's a test of intelligence. Just like all the physics of this world add up, so does the people factor. There are many more variables which makes things more complex. God works on multiple levels with multiple views. One must be willing to look beyond the surface of things to discover the truth. Good luck on your journey.It could be an experience of a lifetime. That, however is entirely up to you. THe proof that God exists waits for your discovery. You won't have to rely on beliefs anymore. You will know.

apophenia

the guy made a post that really didnt make a lick of sense, he even admits its his own version. Its not a stretch at all to call it imagination because it clearly is.

Im sure the man who wrote it would probably say the same thing, he understands he made this concept up and is not following someone elses theology.

Actually if you read my posts carefully you will see that I was not proposing anything or talking about anything imaginary.

I was arguing that awareness was not understood or defined in our scientific model, and that I find the emergent behaviour explanation false for the reasons I stated.

I got the impression that you misunderstood that all along.

What did you think I was suggesting ?

What was I imagining ?

outhouse

Atheistically
Actually if you read my posts carefully you will see that I was not proposing anything or talking about anything imaginary.

your talking about awarness and making more out of it then it is.

It is ONLY being conscious, to make it any more is using extreme amounts of imagination.

I was arguing that awareness was not understood or defined in our scientific model

Well that is false.

It is not only well understood it is also very well defined. It doesnt even need a scientific model, a dictionary covers it quite well.

I got the impression that you misunderstood that all along.

quite the opposite.

I know where you were trying to go with this, unless you stated this in a poor way.

your claiming awareness is more then defined. why is it you know something no one else in the world knows?? and why havnt you had the dictionaries and wiki straightened out with this superior knowledge only you possess?

outhouse

Atheistically
It can be true that it makes no sense to one person while making the world of sense to another.

thats fine but when people are claiming something only they see that goes against the grain of scientific and common knowledge, I think more information is needed beyond imagination.

Prophet

but what if it is true?? what if it really made no sense at all.?

So do you think its a good idea to state things as fact that are not true? Thi sis a religious forum but it is also a educational forum as well and heavily moderated so they we dont get carried away.

As far as internet forums go, my statement was pretty safe. your a second hand party and have more of a problem then the person i was talking to.

If your opponent has posited complete and utter nonsense and you feel you have no better path to demonstrate this than using abusive language against said opponent, you should consider a less civilized hobby than debate.

outhouse

Atheistically
If your opponent has posited complete and utter nonsense and you feel you have no better path to demonstrate this than using abusive language against said opponent, you should consider a less civilized hobby than debate.

first, I did not use abusive language

second, this is a educational debate forum

third why did you ignore this question

So do you think its a good idea to state things as fact that are not true?

Prophet

please prophet

help me make sense of this, I honestly dont have a clue where to begin its so far out there.

wiki

Awareness is the state or ability to perceive, to feel, or to be conscious of events, objects or sensory patterns. In this level of consciousness, sense data can be confirmed by an observer without necessarily implying understanding. More broadly, it is the state or quality of being aware of something. In biological psychology, awareness is defined as a human's or an animal's perception and cognitive reaction to a condition or event.

How can this be associated with gravity or atoms in any way shape or form?

I have comprehensive knowledge on the subject of Awareness. I'm not really tempted to share it with you.

Regardless of whether I can make sense of apophenia, this does not change that you are again attempting to evade my logical observations that you engage in bullying on internet forums.

I'll add on that I admire apophenia's refusal to be drawn down to your level.

Prophet

Your question is complete hypocrisy. You state your unsubstantiated opinions as fact nearly every single post.

Prophet

We are well past debating whether you are using abusive language. You've already admitted as much when you said that your abusive words are warranted when your opponent, in your opinion, fails to "make a lick of sense". We are merely debating whether your criteria for using abusive language makes you any better than a schoolyard bully.

outhouse

Atheistically
We are well past debating whether you are using abusive language. You've already admitted as much when you said that your abusive words are warranted when your opponent, in your opinion, fails to "make a lick of sense". We are merely debating whether your criteria for using abusive language makes you any better than a schoolyard bully.

you welcome to your opinion

personal attacks are not tolerated here so I would advise you to move on.