• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The default position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Is it necessary to label? Do you exist without label or not?
Does it really matter? The term "atheist" is extremely broad, and applying it to a baby is no less labelling than calling them "apolitical", but I doubt that many people would ever object to people describing babies as apolitical, despite the fact that it is accurate to them for all the exact same reasons that atheism is.

ArtieE

Does it really matter? The term "atheist" is extremely broad, and applying it to a baby is no less labelling than calling them "apolitical", but I doubt that many people would ever object to people describing babies as apolitical, despite the fact that it is accurate to them for all the exact same reasons that atheism is.
We label some people theists because they started believing that god(s) exist at some point in their life. We label some people strong atheists because they started believing that god(s) don't exist at some point in their life. The rest haven't done anything to deserve a label have they?

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It is not possible to be neither. If you are not theist, you are atheist.
It is possible to be neither, as both are positions held towards an object. One can take a step back from holding positions.

It maybe impossible if some other factors intervene.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
It is possible to be neither, as both are positions held towards an object. One can take a step back from holding positions.

It maybe impossible if some other factors intervene.
Nope. It is not possible to be neither. If you don't hold a position - you are atheist.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Nope. It is not possible to be neither. If you don't hold a position - you are atheist.
You might need to know......if there is a position to hold.

if you are aware of the line drawn.....you can't really stand on the line.

but of course....when dealing with the topic of God...
you will throw in with believers.....or stand wherever you fell.

That's how I see it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
LOL. Well of course there is an absence of belief that god(s) exist and an absence of belief god(s) don't exist. A baby has none of those beliefs. They are absent. You mean there is neither a belief that god(s) exist nor a belief that god(s) don't exist. Well of course it hasn't. That's why the belief that deity exists and the belief that deity doesn't exist is absent.
That "absence of belief" is ignorance, where this alleged (for them) "god" does not exist (is only implied). There is another "absence of belief" that refers to those who don't hold a belief about something they bloody well know others do hold a belief about.

You can't lack something that, to you, doesn't exist. Non-existents are not in the pool of things that people can lack--they are in no pool, because they don't exist (no existence, no pool) (and no, they don't lack a pool because of it).

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That "absence of belief" is ignorance, where this alleged (for them) "god" does not exist (is only implied). There is another "absence of belief" that refers to those who don't hold a belief about something they bloody well know others do hold a belief about.

You can't lack something that, to you, doesn't exist. Non-existents are not in the pool of things that people can lack--they are in no pool, because they don't exist (no existence, no pool) (and no, they don't lack a pool because of it).
but you can hold location.

If the living can exist ....and not know of God....
where do they go when they die?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Abso-fricken-lutely (except for the "you" part--just mind and heart).
Well....if we go on....and our awareness remains intact....
Someone will be in Charge.

We have hierarchy is this life....
I suspect Greater Hierarchy in the next.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Being in charge (ownership) is illusion. While it's indulged, it is real. Surrendered, it vanishes.

And then there's a goldfish.

Curious George

Veteran Member

I am sure someone somewhere will always think they are in charge, even wherever memory of me goes.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
One in favor ...one opposed....
7billion others not accounted for here.

But in my lifetime I estimate as may will die...and cross over.

We stand into chaos.....or the Almighty will be in charge.

Curious George

Veteran Member
One in favor ...one opposed....
7billion others not accounted for here.

But in my lifetime I estimate as may will die...and cross over.

We stand into chaos.....or the Almighty will be in charge.
Your construct of the "almighty" is part of you. There can be no you.

Status
Not open for further replies.