• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The default position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awkward Fingers

Omphaloskeptic
Ergo, all rocks are atheists.
I don't see why people have a problem with this...
Implicit vs explicit atheism. I agree rocks are implicitly atheistic.
I also think they are not left handed.
I would even go so far as to say they are not republican.

I don't understand the rocks are atheists thing.. as in, I don't understand why people seem to object to it.
I'm an atheist. I'm an explicit atheist, I've decided that I am an atheist after thinking about my position.
Rocks are atheistic implicitly, they, to the best of our knowledge, lack a god belief.

Not seeing an objectionable point.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Here'show it works;

Atheism/theism speaks to what a person BELIEVES, Gnostic/agnostic speaks to what a person KNOWS.

Most atheists are agnostic. There are gnostic and agnostic theists, and gnostic and agnostic atheists.

Nope, your wrong. It's not ''know'', it's 'believe they know'. Two different things. Your still dealing with belief. This is why your setup of labels, is faulty, and contradictory.

lstan135

I'd rather be a tortured soul in Hell than a willing slave in Heaven.

I'd probably just stand there and die.
Not because I'm brave, I just don't feel fear very easily.

I wont cry, I have not cried for as far back as my memory goes.
I most certainly wont ask for Jesus's help.
He's been a useless dead guy for over two millennia, why would that change?
Hahaha!! U certainly made my toe laugh. Before u say what you've just said, just try jumping off the roof top of a 5- storey building (just 5- storey only) without any safety harness or equipment or anything to cushion the fall. Talking is cheap, my friend. U certainly sounded cheap. [emoji4]

lstan135

Thumbs up, I just mentioned this is the other thread.
Fyi, God can make water comes out from rock. So, a rock can be just a medium or channel whereby water make its way out. And water represents life which means u and me. So, when u said rocks represents theist or atheist, u mind as well say they are racist. [emoji517]

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Hahaha!! U certainly made my toe laugh. Before u say what you've just said, just try jumping off the roof top of a 5- storey building (just 5- storey only) without any safety harness or equipment or anything to cushion the fall. Talking is cheap, my friend. U certainly sounded cheap. [emoji4]

That means I can buy what you say at the penny market.

Why would I kill myself to prove a point? Am I really that stupid to you?
If so, then I suppose we think the same way of each other.

Let me just make this clear to you.
To me, Peter Pan is more likely to exist than your God.
And Jesus was just another hero/model of his time.
All your beliefs equate to is the worship of a book of fairy tales and a dead guy.

That's all they ever will be, IMO.

U know what is short form text?

Yes I know of text talking, and I also use a phone or tablet on here sometimes; mainly when I'm at work.
It doesn't mean you can't use normal words it just means you're too lazy to type them out.
I can understand some of the spelling errors but purposefully typing "u" or "r" or "n" is laziness.

ArtieE

Nope, your wrong. It's not ''know'', it's 'believe they know'. Two different things. Your still dealing with belief. This is why your setup of labels, is faulty, and contradictory.
The setup is perfectly correct. Please learn the basics.

lstan135

Well then, the next time he touches you until you cry, if he WANTS to be worshiped, for example, by me.. then he should be able to tell you the best one sentence to persuade me. So, once he tells ou.. not before.. then tell me what that sentence is, so that I can be swayed..
Remember, NOT BEFORE.. only with the knowledge imparted by god, no little guesses as to what to say coming from you.

Let me know when you have it.
Hahaha!!! God don't need to tell u or anyone at all, anything to sway u or anyone. Cause u are already being swayed by yourself or the Evil One.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I don't see why people have a problem with this...
Implicit vs explicit atheism. I agree rocks are implicitly atheistic.
I also think they are not left handed.
I would even go so far as to say they are not republican.

I don't understand the rocks are atheists thing.. as in, I don't understand why people seem to object to it.
I'm an atheist. I'm an explicit atheist, I've decided that I am an atheist after thinking about my position.
Rocks are atheistic implicitly, they, to the best of our knowledge, lack a god belief.

Not seeing an objectionable point.
'Because terms should hold relevance. That rocks or babies or the universe itself is an "atheist" adds no relevance. Language should be used to communicate ideas efficiently that we define terms in ways that do not communicate effectively is missing the point.'

'But, who cares right? So we have one category that is superfluous and cannot be used to communicate effectively. But this leads to equivocation.'

'Well that isn't so bad, so some people use poor logic. '

' I would agree but for the fact that when we delve deeper, our definition of atheism as anything not theism leads to contradiction.

Thus, not only do we have people using equivocation, we have an obstruction to logic for those who use logic well.'

'But this distinction is only necessary in limited situations. In most endeavors for truth we do not need to understand the distinction, therefore beyond internal consistency, this becomes a game of semantics.'

'Correct.'

Curious George

Veteran Member

All your beliefs equate to is the worship of a book of fairy tales and a dead guy.

Yes I know of text talking, and I also use a phone or tablet on here sometimes; mainly when I'm at work.
It doesn't mean you can't use normal words it just means you're too lazy to type them out.
I can understand some of the spelling errors but purposefully typing "u" or "r" or "n" is laziness.
Are we certain that Jesus was a hero model of his time. Certainly one can argue that people turned him into a hero model over time. But, his historicity is a very interesting thread, that usually goes on for pages and brings forth users who I do not see about too often anymore. But there are some great threads you can search on this topic.

lstan135

No. no, no. That's productivity man. I'm not asking u to kill yourself but to just get a feel oe what its like to face death in the eye b4 u say that u r not afraid to die. Cheap talk means nobody will buy what u've said.

Deathbydefault

Are we certain that Jesus was a hero model of his time. Certainly one can argue that people turned him into a hero model over time. But, his historicity is a very interesting thread, that usually goes on for pages and brings forth users who I do not see about too often anymore. But there are some great threads you can search on this topic.

The topic does slightly interest me after hearing your praise of it, so I may check it out.
However, from my childhood interpretations and a couple historical references, he does indeed come off as something of a model.

It's kind of like Hercules.
I'm sure Hercules may have been a real person who fought for the people, blah blah blah.
I do not believe that he could lift mountains or beat up lions and hell hounds, that's ridiculous IMO

Same with Jesus, I'm sure he was real, and a good guy of the times that enjoyed helping people out.
However, I do not believe he could turn water into wine, cure blindness, and walk on water, again it's just ridiculous.
Nor do I believe his mother was a Virgin, that he is the son of whatever God, or that he came back to life.

So while debating the topic of "was Jesus really a good guy" may sound interesting, it's usually pointless to me.
It doesn't matter what kind of guy he was because at the end of the day all the stories about him are just that, stories.
If people want to believe a two thousand year old book of desert fairy tales then who am I to judge them.

I'll just be here in logic-world, drinking my reality-coffee and eating my morning slice of materialist-pie.
They can debate their religious figures among themselves.

Then again there is the entertainment value....

Curious George

Veteran Member
The topic does slightly interest me after hearing your praise of it, so I may check it out.
However, from my childhood interpretations and a couple historical references, he does indeed come off as something of a model.

It's kind of like Hercules.
I'm sure Hercules may have been a real person who fought for the people, blah blah blah.
I do not believe that he could lift mountains or beat up lions and hell hounds, that's ridiculous IMO

Same with Jesus, I'm sure he was real, and a good guy of the times that enjoyed helping people out.
However, I do not believe he could turn water into wine, cure blindness, and walk on water, again it's just ridiculous.
Nor do I believe his mother was a Virgin, that he is the son of whatever God, or that he came back to life.

So while debating the topic of "was Jesus really a good guy" may sound interesting, it's usually pointless to me.
It doesn't matter what kind of guy he was because at the end of the day all the stories about him are just that, stories.
If people want to believe a two thousand year old book of desert fairy tales then who am I to judge them.

I'll just be here in logic-world, drinking my reality-coffee and eating my morning slice of materialist-pie.
They can debate their religious figures among themselves.

Then again there is the entertainment value....
Maybe he wasn't so good?

From my understanding the times were rife with zealots. Could he have been a David Koresh type if he existed. This wasn't exactly the time period of hippies. Idk. But it is interesting to think about.

I think there is a YouTube video comparing him to Hercules titled "Jesus man or myth" or something to that degree. It was posted in one of the threads about Jesus' historicity here. If I find it, I will link it.

Deathbydefault

No. no, no. That's productivity man. I'm not asking u to kill yourself but to just get a feel oe what its like to face death in the eye b4 u say that u r not afraid to die.

I've died before, if you recall.
Three times actually, twice due to my weak heart and once from a bad fall.

I've also been robbed before, once and gun-point, and beat half to death at school by some ******* kids.

I do fear death, however, it is only that primal fear that everyone has.
Once you can recognize it as that it will somewhat nullify it.

Also, logically, there is no point in fearing death, (see second quote in signature).
I'm not afraid of no longer existing, of my family dying, of being forgotten, or of being recycled back into the world.
I do not bother with morals concerning such things either, other than when I need to pretend I have them.

It's simply the way I was born and how I grew up.

Deathbydefault

Maybe he wasn't so good?

From my understanding the times were rife with zealots. Could he have been a David Koresh type if he existed. This wasn't exactly the time period of hippies. Idk. But it is interesting to think about.

I think there is a YouTube video comparing him to Hercules titled "Jesus man or myth" or something to that degree. It was posted in one of the threads about Jesus' historicity here. If I find it, I will link it.

Due to the times and the area he was born I'm sure he was a rape/affair baby that Mary didn't want to admit to.

Thanks for the potential link :D That does interest me, lol.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Believing we know something is as far as knowing goes. What 'set up of labels'? What does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.