• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the devil speeks at UN

kateyes

Despite the devil statement--and for totally differenct reasons--I do have to say he does make one valid point.

The UN in its current form "doesn't work", he said.
"I don't think anybody in this room could defend the system," the Venezuelan leader added.

"Let's be honest. The UN system born after World War II collapsed. It's worthless."
I don't neccesarily think it is the fault of the United States(there are other countries on the security council) and there are issues with things like a Commission on Human Rights that has as members some of the worst offenders on that issue. I don't think the UN has accomplished anything in the last 10-20 years. Peace-keeping forces are unable to keep the peace--UN sanctions mean nothing-- ie Oil for Food program. They cannot even get into Darfur to try to prevent the genocide occurring there. Other than providing a very comfortable life for a few people from 3rd world countries--exactly what has the UN accomplished in the last 20 years?

GloriaPatri

kateyes said:
Despite the devil statement--and for totally differenct reasons--I do have to say he does make one valid point.

I don't neccesarily think it is the fault of the United States(there are other countries on the security council) and there are issues with things like a Commission on Human Rights that has as members some of the worst offenders on that issue. I don't think the UN has accomplished anything in the last 10-20 years. Peace-keeping forces are unable to keep the peace--UN sanctions mean nothing-- ie Oil for Food program. They cannot even get into Darfur to try to prevent the genocide occurring there. Other than providing a very comfortable life for a few people from 3rd world countries--exactly what has the UN accomplished in the last 20 years?

In defence of the UN, they stopped ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and Kosovo. The UN also distributes a massive amount of aid around the world to the poor and infirm.

kateyes

I would not disagree about the work done by UN aid organizations--when they can get into a region needing aid.

I disagree about Bosnia and Kosovo: the peacekeeping forces were not correctly mandated and several massacres occurred despite the presence of UN forces. Wikipedia has a good write up on exactly what the UN peacekeepers were and were not able to accomplish in Kosovo and Bosnia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNPROFOR

The ethnic cleansing--and massacres you mention happened despite the presence of Peacekeeper forces in Bosnia and Croatia.

Random

Hugo Chavez is great fun! There are few who would have the stones to stand up and say what he said before the United Nations. I agree with most of it too.

Go Hugo, stick it to'em all...

Booko

Deviled Hen
Godlike said:
Hugo Chavez is great fun! There are few who would have the stones to stand up and say what he said before the United Nations. I agree with most of it too.

It's a good thing I caught his speech live on CNN this afternoon, because if I had to depend on US news for any actual information, I'd think the only thing Chavez had to say was "el diablo," "sulfur" and the complaints about his (Cuban) doctor and bodyguard being stuck on the plane and not allowed onto US soil.

kai

ragamuffin
GloriaPatri said:
In defence of the UN, they stopped ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and Kosovo. The UN also distributes a massive amount of aid around the world to the poor and infirm.
i may be wrong but didnt american and british military enter the balkans outside of the Un mandate because of the ethnic cleansing, teh UN is Useless not because of america but because it is a paper tiger without a bite it needs to be able to react militarily to on the spot crisis without all the weeks of red tape but i agree it does do a lot of good it fails when facing up to rogue states

Simon Gnosis

kai said:
"the devil came here yeaterday it still smells of sulphur today"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5365142.stm

Lol

Darn right.

That George Bush and his government have pretty much destroyed utterly the once proud image the USA had before rampant consumerism and corporate rule corrupted it.

Now we (the world) see the US for what it has become, an arrogant and violent bully.
That simply drains the worlds wealth, spreads war and upheavel, and pollutes with impunity our global ecosystem...the USA is in trouble, pray for America.
Because.
All you have to do with bullies is stand up to them and one day the world may well realise this.

kai

ragamuffin
Simon Gnosis said:
Lol

Darn right.

That George Bush and his government have pretty much destroyed utterly the once proud image the USA had before rampant consumerism and corporate rule corrupted it.

Now we (the world) see the US for what it has become, an arrogant and violent bully.
That simply drains the worlds wealth, spreads war and upheavel, and pollutes with impunity our global ecosystem...the USA is in trouble, pray for America.
Because.
All you have to do with bullies is stand up to them and one day the world may well realise this.

I have to say thats your opinion , i dont think its a bully , its trying to act as a policeman in a pretty violent world because no one else will , its a thankless job and antiamericanism has been around for a long time , during the cold war it was "capitalist pigs" now its "the great satan" and if the UN was totally reformed the US would not feel the need to do it. and to be honest although the US has its faults they are the ones who over the past 60 years have stood up to the bullies

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
He makes me want to wear an American flag and run through the streets of Caracas.

And I don't feel that way much these days. ;)

kai

ragamuffin
32% of the population without sanitation, 5 million people without access to clean drinking water, one of the poorest popluations in south america,

what shall we do Mr president?

why attack America of course!

Simon Gnosis

kai said:
I have to say thats your opinion , i dont think its a bully , its trying to act as a policeman in a pretty violent world because no one else will , its a thankless job and antiamericanism has been around for a long time , during the cold war it was "capitalist pigs" now its "the great satan" and if the UN was totally reformed the US would not feel the need to do it. and to be honest although the US has its faults they are the ones who over the past 60 years have stood up to the bullies

Hehe

Things change..if you read my post you would have noticed I said the USA DID have a great image...not now.

They may helped defeat the Nazis on the western front, but they had no choice.
The US did not want to fight a Nazi superpower armed with nuclear weapons, alone.
I mean who would?
No luckily for us all the Soviet Union counter invaded, without the vast Soviet army there was little chance the USA and Britain could have defeated Germany on their own certainly not in the time it took, bearing in mind Hitler was already developing nukes, he already had the best rocket technology in the world..
Ask any competent strategist.

I am not anti american for nothing, I am also anti British, and I AM British..white anglo saxon blue eyed English.. lol
I oppose unnilateral action, I oppose the US oppression of its own people, I oppose British toadying to the US...blah blah It stinks....

WhizzarD

bush is just a puppet - he doesnt know...
as for the rest of the world: take a good look at the food industry, being human in general is not something to be proud of these days! After what i saw last week i am very much ashamed of being human. And the poeple of that company were actually proud of theyr work. It was all so sterile how those chickens were "processed".

you think thats chicken your eating?

anyhoe id like to believe in reincarnation, but now im scared: what if thats true! Oh dear god!

Simon Gnosis

WhizzarD said:
bush is just a puppet - he doesnt know...
as for the rest of the world: take a good look at the food industry, being human in general is not something to be proud of these days! After what i saw last week i am very much ashamed of being human. And the poeple of that company were actually proud of theyr work. It was all so sterile how those chickens were "processed".

you think thats chicken your eating?

anyhoe id like to believe in reincarnation, but now im scared: what if thats true! Oh dear god!

Iam a vegetarian.

Always will be.

But anway yeah Bush and Tony?

Boo!

kai

ragamuffin
Simon Gnosis said:
Hehe

Things change..if you read my post you would have noticed I said the USA DID have a great image...not now.

They may helped defeat the Nazis on the western front, but they had no choice.
The US did not want to fight a Nazi superpower armed with nuclear weapons, alone.
I mean who would?
No luckily for us all the Soviet Union counter invaded, without the vast Soviet army there was little chance the USA and Britain could have defeated Germany on their own certainly not in the time it took, bearing in mind Hitler was already developing nukes, he already had the best rocket technology in the world..
Ask any competent strategist.

I am not anti american for nothing, I am also anti British, and I AM British..white anglo saxon blue eyed English.. lol
I oppose unnilateral action, I oppose the US oppression of its own people, I oppose British toadying to the US...blah blah It stinks....
i think you are a little missinformed about actual nazi science there simon gnosis

while Nazi Germany had also had an atomic bomb program, headed by Werner Heisenberg, the government had not made a significant investment in the project, and had been nowhere near succes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_nuclear_weapons

and it was the Russians who were crying out for a western front

and America has been unilateral since George Washington said the United States should "steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world"

Simon Gnosis

kai said:
i think you are a little missinformed about actual nazi science there simon gnosis

while Nazi Germany had also had an atomic bomb program, headed by Werner Heisenberg, the government had not made a significant investment in the project, and had been nowhere near succes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_nuclear_weapons

and it was the Russians who were crying out for a western front

and America has been unilateral since George Washington said the United States should "steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world"

Eventually they would have had a bomb, not even wikipedia an predict research and development breakthroughs... which is why Nazi scientists warned US scientists working on the manhatten project 'Hurry up we are on track!'.

American forces alone during ww2 were not sufficent to destroy the Nazis, if you think so then dream on....no wonder the world hates america for its arrogance alone, despite never having won a war on its own, even in the war of Independance the US had military assistance from Napoleon.

We dont want any alliance with the US either...go ahead and be unnilateral Mr Bush, but please leave and vacate all your US airbases in the UK.

One day the US will have no choice..when a British leader with a spine arrives.

You can support the US if you like Kai but you are a dying breed, thankfully.

kai

ragamuffin
Simon Gnosis said:
Eventually they would have had a bomb, not even wikipedia an predict research and development breakthroughs... which is why Nazi scientists warned US scientists working on the manhatten project 'Hurry up we are on track!'.
The First Controlled Nuclear Reaction
At the University of Chicago reactor, Enrico Fermi oversaw the first controlled energy release from the nucleus of the atom.

http://www.atomicmuseum.com/tour/manhattanproject.cfm

American forces alone during ww2 were not sufficent to destroy the Nazis, if you think so then dream on....no wonder the world hates america for its arrogance alone, despite never having won a war on its own, even in the war of Independance the US had military assistance from Napoleon. who said they did it on their own? and dont you mean the war of 1812!

We dont want any alliance with the US either...go ahead and be unnilateral Mr Bush, but please leave and vacate all your US airbases in the UK.Whos we?

One day the US will have no choice..when a British leader with a spine arrives.Maybe we will all be part of greate France by then!

You can support the US if you like Kai but you are a dying breed, thankfully.
i do support the US as they have the same values as most britons, i will critisise when needed too, but if your going to anti something at least get your facts right

Simon Gnosis

kai said:
i do support the US as they have the same values as most britons, i will critisise when needed too, but if your going to anti something at least get your facts right

Where exactly am I wrong?

America and the UK are not working towards a holistic world...open your eyes.

Greed and ambition thats what drives Tony and George and most politicians.

Sooner an alliance with France and Germany then slavery to the US...

Simon Gnosis

kai said:

Since when are our values the same as most Britons?

Maybe to the Sun readers...:)