• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Easyway to Stop Smoking

Poisonshady313

I'm trying to stop, but I've come to realise that I simply replace one addiction by another, the less I smoke the more chocolate I eat o_O...

There's a reason for that. For whatever reason, you find your cigarette precious... and the thought of stopping translates to you as giving up something that gives you pleasure.

You shouldn't feel deprived when you stop smoking. You should feel like you're free.

Carr has a chapter in his book about the concept of substitutions.

He mentions that using substitutions is trying to fill a void that can't be filled except by nicotine.... a void that is created by nicotine in the first place. Nonsmokers don't have to fill that void, because for nonsmokers that void doesn't exist. And once you extinguish your final cigarette, you are a nonsmoker.

Last edited:

Poisonshady313

o_O that's like my BIGGEST fear, I do not wish to gain any weight...I've started excersising though, now I have to change my diet too.

That was my uncle's greatest fear too. His second to last attempt to quit smoking was cut short by significant weight gain scaring him back into smoking.

Then I recommended Easyway to him, and the moment he finished the book, he was a non-smoker. And he didn't put on weight. He hasn't had a single craving for nearly two years, and doesn't live in fear of slipping or relapsing. For a man whom his family and friends thought would never stop smoking, there's nothing in this world that could get him to start again.

One of the reasons why smokers attempting to quit put on weight is because they try to use food to feed their nicotine craving.

Easyway takes away the desire and the craving to smoke. All the problems that arise as a result of fear and anxiety go away when you remove the fear and anxiety associated with stopping smoking.

Poisonshady313

Should I finish my current pack or just throw them away? Just talking about smoking makes me desire a cigarette...

If you decide to try Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book, you're instructed to not force yourself to stop before you reach the end of the book.

Even though smoking gives you no benefit whatsoever, many smokers feel that smoking calms them down and reduces stress. And for most smokers, the idea of stopping smoking is very stressful. If you tell a smoker they have to stop before they read the book, no smoker would ever read the book.

But by the end of the book, you no longer feel the need, want, or desire to go on smoking.

There's nothing to fear. The book can be read in less than a day while you smoke (though if you're more comfortable breaking it up into a couple of days, there's nothing wrong with that), and if it doesn't work (which is unlikely), you will be no worse off than you are now.

And when it does work, it will be something to celebrate. You won't be placing bets on when you'll wind up smoking again.

You'll be free.

It won't take three months before you find out whether it worked or not, because it will have worked even before you extinguish your last cigarette.

Poisonshady313

BTW... the Easyway program is certainly available in Germany, you could read the book in German if you wish. If you need additional support, there's an Easyway hotline which will help you free of charge.

There are also easyway clinics and seminars available in Germany, but the least expensive way to do it is to use the book.

Poisonshady313

I have to look into this. I need to quit smoking asap. Lately every morning I wake up with the most horrible chest pain.

You can look it up online, at allencarr.com. There is plenty of information about the author, Allen Carr, his method, and the various ways you can make use of it.

They prefer you use the clinic/seminar because it has the benefit of human interaction. You can't ask a book to clarify itself.

I recommend the book because it's far less expensive, and I know that the book works all by itself. And, if you think you need additional support (apart from re-reading the book, or checking out his additional books on the subject), you can call an easyway hotline for free, or go to the facebook page where even the international director of the Easyway program will offer support and advice, answer questions, etc.

I have read the book several times myself, and after giving away the two copies of the book I purchased to smokers who successfully used the book to quit, I have the audio version which I listen to from my computer.

So if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

ConfusedKuri

OKayy thanks a lot for your advice I guess I will start now o_O o this will be tough but one has to start somehow...

Poisonshady313

OKayy thanks a lot for your advice I guess I will start now o_O o this will be tough but one has to start somehow...

If you set yourself up with the belief that it will be tough, it will be.

But it doesn't have to be.

That's why the name of the book is "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking".

Don't think of quitting as if it's a sacrifice that you're making. You're not giving anything up. On the contrary, you're about to experience marvelous positive gains.

If you're skeptical, that's fine. I was skeptical too when I saw it on a shelf in a bookstore, and I said "every smoker I know has found it hard... so what could this guy have to say to suggest otherwise, and why does it take a whole book if it's that easy?"

And then I read the book. And I understand.

My uncle also was skeptical. I asked him to just read through the book once, from beginning to end, keep an open mind, and follow the author's instructions. And it worked. It wasn't tough at all. Didn't even cost him anything, because I gave him the book. And he hasn't had a craving since, hasn't put on any weight, didn't need any devices that contain nicotine to prolong his addiction for another several months. There aren't any side effects from reading a book, unlike some other methods.

In that last paragraph is something I want to repeat:

It wasn't tough at all.

You have already made the decision to stop. Why make it hard on yourself? Why prepare for a period of suffering and deprivation, when the process of stopping smoking is something you can enjoy and should always celebrate?

Acim

Revelation all the time
I've quit cold turkey. 3 times. Over span of 20 years, once I had quit for about 8 years. I'm right now coming up on 1 year.

My thought is to use whatever you think will work. If you have friends or people who's experience rings true, then try that method. Doesn't really matter how you get there, just get there.

In all 3 times I've stopped, it really is just first 30 days that matter. And while that 30 days seems like possible eternity to current smoker, I truly believe it is first 3 days that matter most. Get through first 3 days, and then avoid the little habitual stuff you like to do before, after, during a cig for about 30 days, and then you can likely return to all that stuff later.

Little things that I think help in quitting include:
- make list of pros and cons for smoking. Be honest about the pros. Have 2nd list for pros and cons for non-smoking. This list alone will do next to nothing before you quit, but after say 7 days of non-smoking, the benefits (pros) on non-smoking will be motivational.
- practice deep breathing in first 3 days of non smoking. Realize that physiologically your body / respiratory system has been taking deep breaths (of smoke) in habitual way. If you take deep breaths during quitting process, you ease your body off that habit. Eventually returning to normal breathing (whatever normal is for you).
- reward yourself. Put that as pro on non-smoking list, and I say after 3 days, then 7 days, then 30 days, and then whatever works for you after that, have rewards set up to keep you motivated, but also to express gratitude to your non-smoking self.
- Think of stopping as an indefinite break. Perhaps one day you'll go back, and perhaps that day never comes. Psychologically, 'quitting' is I believe challenging. Sure this is coming from someone who's returned twice, but I say my experience on this has little to do with point I'm making.
- take walks, drink plenty of fluids, and be very mindful of desire to rest in first 3 days. IMO, taking these days off from work to facilitate a fairly large change in one's life is worthy of consideration. But you know your own capability for taking time off from work, so go with what you feel is helpful in your own situation.
- pray, meditate, and envision self as non smoker. If all this sounds like illogical nonsense to you, don't do it. If it sounds like it can't hurt to try it, I highly suggest it.

I'll also just add that cold turkey is way I'd recommend the most. It costs nothing, and it helps in many ways down the road. But, it is not for everyone, and so primary suggestion will always be from me, do what works. Try them all. Point is to get 'there' to place of non-smoking. There is no one method better than the others. There is simply what works for you and peace of mind that comes from overcoming that addiction.

rewa

Watched the Easy Way Video long back and then read the book. Sadly I got back to smoking within a week both times:eek::eek:. Maybe I should try again. Poisonshady 313, did you stop at the first attempt?

Poisonshady313

Watched the Easy Way Video long back and then read the book. Sadly I got back to smoking within a week both times:eek::eek:. Maybe I should try again. Poisonshady 313, did you stop at the first attempt?

I mentioned in the very first post in this thread that I am not a smoker, nor have I ever been one. I'm not pretending to be something I'm not. However, I am familiar enough with the Easyway method that I feel confident in recommending it to anyone over any other method. I've seen it work, and every smoker who I've heard talk about his book says that what he says is right.

I'm sorry you were having a tough time with it, and perhaps you might try the hotline or facebook if there are issues that you're having that the book might not address.

But to answer your question in a more meaningful way, my uncle stopped at his first attempt. That was one year and 8 months ago.

ConfusedKuri

O sorry totally skipped that you were not a smoker...anyways I'm trying my best now and I really get a lot of support from everybody :) I guess that makes it easier.

rewa

Sorry about that Poisonshady313. Just did not read through the entire discussion before asking you the question:eek:. Anyways thanks for starting this discussion. Helped me think about quitting again.

Apparently Allan Carr has written a companion volume to Easy Way to Stop Smoking called The Only Way To Stop Smoking Permanently. May be Only Way is the way for me.:)

Poisonshady313

O sorry totally skipped that you were not a smoker...anyways I'm trying my best now and I really get a lot of support from everybody :) I guess that makes it easier.

According to Allen Carr, the hardest part about quitting is the fear. Fear that quitting will be hard. Fear of failing to quit. Fear of life without cigarettes.

What you ought to do, and what I'm sure we're all willing help you do, is to be positive and confident in your decision to become a nonsmoker, and feel comfortable knowing that you can do it.

Poisonshady313

Sorry about that Poisonshady313. Just did not read through the entire discussion before asking you the question:eek:. Anyways thanks for starting this discussion. Helped me think about quitting again.

Apparently Allan Carr has written a companion volume to Easy Way to Stop Smoking called The Only Way To Stop Smoking Permanently. May be Only Way is the way for me.:)

I'm glad I could help. :) I have heard of the Only Way book. Great reviews. It had even helped some smokers quit who hadn't yet read the Easy Way book. You're right. It might just make the difference between an attempt and success.

It's perfectly normal for some to need a second or third read to make easyway work. Some do it on the first shot, but not all.

Stay positive, reread individual chapters that address what you feel may have caused you to slip, and stay confident in your decision to become a nonsmoker.