• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Easyway to Stop Smoking

turk179

I smell something....
So I am reading the book now and it is really very interesting. Draka ordered it for me a week or so ago and it came in the mail this past Wednesday. I really feel like I have a chance to get rid of this nasty crap that controls my life so much. I have tried every method of quitting and have been smoking for 22 years. Every time I try to quit I get very angry. Not irritable. Not moody. We are talking intense rage and anger. Now I am reading this simple book (which cost about the same price of a pack of smokes) with the intention of trying to quit and I am optimistic and thoroughly enjoying it. I'm not scared or tense. This is coming from someone who on his last failed attempt had resigned himself to just dying early or soon and not wasting any more time putting myself and others around me through this self imposed torture. This book is a real eye opener for me. I know this is long winded and probably filled with a lot of grammar mistakes but i'm very emotional about this topic and not very good with my native language lol.

Acim, if your cold turkey method ever finally works for you then great, but shame on you for trying to start a debate in this thread that is only meant to help people.

Acim

Revelation all the time
What I see as confidence, you see as arrogance
What I see as cognitive therapy, you see a willpower method in denial.

Both of these are mischaracterizations, but particularly the first one.

I don't see Carr as arrogant, and do see him being someone that would likely agree with rationale that says, 'any way you get there (to desire to stop smoking) is good.' IMO, it is your spin that makes his methods seem like something they are not (i.e. arrogant, and best way).

If you decide to read his book and conclude that he's just a righteous jerk who's lying to people about not being a willpower method, that's fine.

I just hope people trying to stop smoking will give Easyway a shot without jumping to the conclusion that it's just a bunch of hype that sounds too good to be true.

Again, this to me is mischaracterization of what I was saying. In our disagreement, I get to support Easyway as a method that works for some, and is something I would urge people to consider, while I wouldn't rule out other methods that I am aware of working. While you get to tout Easyway as the best method around where all others are essentially failing, while Easyway can't fail. Your devotion frankly sounds cultish and is not backed by hard facts. You have misconstrued / misrepresented data in this thread, and for reasons that I'm not sure why. I think Easyway ought to be given a try by whomever is drawn to it, and if you feel I have said otherwise, or can quote me saying otherwise, I will do all I can to correct that misperception (or mistaken rhetoric, as case may be). I think Easyway deserves high consideration.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Acim, if your cold turkey method ever finally works for you then great, but shame on you for trying to start a debate in this thread that is only meant to help people.

If you review my first entry in this thread and how that was dealt with by OP, you realize I wasn't one starting the debate and was just dealing with person who decided to address each point I made with strong disagreement. My contribution was intended to be helpful, not matter of debate. I don't counter anything in OP with my first post, or if I do, it was certainly not done intentionally.

Debate on this thread is coming from sense of righteousness, and I'll be done with it as long as mischaracterizations of my input are (hopefully) finished.

turk179

I smell something....
If you review my first entry in this thread and how that was dealt with by OP, you realize I wasn't one starting the debate and was just dealing with person who decided to address each point I made with strong disagreement. My contribution was intended to be helpful, not matter of debate. I don't counter anything in OP with my first post, or if I do, it was certainly not done intentionally.

Debate on this thread is coming from sense of righteousness, and I'll be done with it as long as mischaracterizations of my input are (hopefully) finished.
Your points were addressed with information from the book, not to debate but to dispel some misconceptions. You will be done with the debating in this thread because those are the rules :)

Acim

Revelation all the time
Your points were addressed with information from the book, not to debate but to dispel some misconceptions. You will be done with the debating in this thread because those are the rules :)

Again, I'm not the one that started the debate. If "dispelling misconceptions" is allowed, then I would hope I can dispel mischaracterizations about things I've said that were not intended to be debated.

turk179

I smell something....
Again, I'm not the one that started the debate. If "dispelling misconceptions" is allowed, then I would hope I can dispel mischaracterizations about things I've said that were not intended to be debated.
Either way, it's done.

Back to the topic at hand. I'll post again when I have finished the book to let everyone know how it worked out for me. Like I said, I'm very optimistic. Maybe my optimism alone will allow me to quit or the book does the trick. Either way, i'm enjoying it.

Poisonshady313

Either way, it's done.

Back to the topic at hand. I'll post again when I have finished the book to let everyone know how it worked out for me. Like I said, I'm very optimistic. Maybe my optimism alone will allow me to quit or the book does the trick. Either way, i'm enjoying it.

That's excellent! I'm excited for you. Looking forward to hearing your reaction when you finish the book.

Poisonshady313

I don't see Carr as arrogant, and do see him being someone that would likely agree with rationale that says, 'any way you get there (to desire to stop smoking) is good.' IMO, it is your spin that makes his methods seem like something they are not (i.e. arrogant, and best way).
I'll not bring up the other points on which I disagree with you because, as turk said, it's done. But this is directly related to Easyway, so I'll address it.

Regarding other methods, he says those who quit using them do so despite them, not because of them. His words, not my spin.

He describes NRT methods as "nonsense". His word, not my spin.

As for willpower (regardless of your belief that his method is willpower), he wonders why someone would torture themselves by going through life feeling as if stopping smoking were some sort of sacrifice. His words, not my spin.

Maybe "best" is too subjective a word for you to accept in this context. But in a world where smokers generally find it difficult to quit smoking, his way is the easy way.

Though the fact that he's got a book by the title "The Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently" may shed some light on how he feels about other methods.

I think Easyway ought to be given a try by whomever is drawn to it,...

I think Easyway deserves high consideration.

I'm very happy to hear you say that. It's something on which we certainly agree. :)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My husband, who has smoked for 30 years, is now reading "Easyway." He is about half way thru and here's exactly what he said to me yesterday:

"I'm not enjoying smoking very much. That book is giving me a lot to think about. I'm probably just going to quit this smoking stuff - I'm starting to realize that it doesn't make me feel good - it makes me feel bad. I don't even like the way it tastes anymore."

Poisonshady313

My husband, who has smoked for 30 years, is now reading "Easyway." He is about half way thru and here's exactly what he said to me yesterday:

"I'm not enjoying smoking very much. That book is giving me a lot to think about. I'm probably just going to quit this smoking stuff - I'm starting to realize that it doesn't make me feel good - it makes me feel bad. I don't even like the way it tastes anymore."

That's wonderful! I have a feeling that when he puts out his final cigarette at the end of the book, he'll be completely free.

After 30 years of smoking, your husband is about to become a non-smoker! Hooray!

Kathryn

That's wonderful! I have a feeling that when he puts out his final cigarette at the end of the book, he'll be completely free.

After 30 years of smoking, your husband is about to become a non-smoker! Hooray!

I really hope so. When I married him, he was a smoker, and part of our "deal" was that I do not ever pressure him to quit - because we accept each other as we are and don't try to change the other.

So I just bought the book and left it laying in the den. I didn't say anything about it and when I noticed him reading it, I didn't even remark about it. When he shares things with me that he's read in the book, I just act slightly interested and say, "Really? That's interesting," and then drop it. I am not saying anything that will pressurize the situation.

All I've said was "I read about this book in Religious Forums and then checked it out online and it got a lot of great reviews. I thought the approach was unique and could be applied to other situations like weight loss or any other habit we're addicted to, so I thought I'd check it out."

He's really responding to it on his own.

turk179

I smell something....

I'm feeling the same way. I even got in my car and thought it smelled horrible for the first time. I'm more conscious of the way they make me feel and smell now. It's awesome. 22 years and I'm pretty sure i'll be done with the nasty buggers when i'm done reading.

Kathryn

I'm feeling the same way. I even got in my car and thought it smelled horrible for the first time. I'm more conscious of the way they make me feel and smell now. It's awesome. 22 years and I'm pretty sure i'll be done with the nasty buggers when i'm done reading.

Yay, I hope so!

What a great accomplishment this would be for you and for my husband. I'll be praying for all of us!

Poisonshady313

I really hope so. When I married him, he was a smoker, and part of our "deal" was that I do not ever pressure him to quit - because we accept each other as we are and don't try to change the other.

So I just bought the book and left it laying in the den. I didn't say anything about it and when I noticed him reading it, I didn't even remark about it. When he shares things with me that he's read in the book, I just act slightly interested and say, "Really? That's interesting," and then drop it. I am not saying anything that will pressurize the situation.

I like your style. :)

I was just at a party and there were a few smokers there. Good friends of mine. I didn't say one word about Easyway. Why? None of them started talking about wanting to stop or past attempts to do so.

Smokers smoking is none of my business. I'll even stand outside and keep them company while they smoke.

But when they tell me that they want to quit, that's when I let them know there's an easy way.

All I've said was "I read about this book in Religious Forums and then checked it out online and it got a lot of great reviews. I thought the approach was unique and could be applied to other situations like weight loss or any other habit we're addicted to, so I thought I'd check it out."

He's really responding to it on his own.

He actually has a book for weight loss, alcohol, fear of flying, and a few other topics. They're listed on Allen Carr's wikipedia page. I haven't read them, but I don't see why his method shouldn't work in those areas as well.

Poisonshady313

Awesome indeed! I'm very happy for you. :)

turk179

I smell something....
I feel that this post is misleading. Quitting smoking is not easy. I should know because it took me twenty times to quit.
Did you read any of the previous posts? As I said before, I have smoked for over 22 years and have tried to quit multiple times. You can probably document some of those attempts here on the forums the past 5 or 6 years. I had pretty much given up trying to get rid of the little monster and resigned to just dying. That's sad and pathetic. This book and system may not work for everyone but if it helps just one person it is worth it. If it helps me, even better:D. Don't brush something off just because of your personal experiences. I am almost done with the book. Just a couple more chapters and I am very optimistic.

Poisonshady313

I feel that this post is misleading. Quitting smoking is not easy. I should know because it took me twenty times to quit.

Try reading some of my posts in this thread.

For 33 years, Allen Carr was a chain smoker, smoking 100 per day for most of that time... and he never actually enjoyed the taste of cigarettes. He tried, and he tried. Probably more frequently than you. He was almost divorced by his wife because at one point he became a secret smoker, and it got to the point that everyone knew he was smoking but her. He had been told by a doctor that the next cigarette could give him a fatal and incurable disease... and upon hearing that news, he stepped outside and smoked a cigarette.

But then he figured it out. And his method has been proven over the past 25 years to not only be effective... but to be easy. Enjoyable even.

The reason you think quitting smoking isn't easy is because you haven't read about THE Easy Way to stop smoking.

Go ahead and read the book and then come back and tell me if you think it's misleading.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I am feeling positive about turk's reaction to the book. It was just last night that he came up to me and said that his car just reeks of cigarettes. Now, I've known this for a long time, but it just hit him last night. He really noticed it. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and see how it goes for him.