• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Easyway to Stop Smoking

Poisonshady313

I am feeling positive about turk's reaction to the book. It was just last night that he came up to me and said that his car just reeks of cigarettes. Now, I've known this for a long time, but it just hit him last night. He really noticed it. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and see how it goes for him.

Stay positive. Be confident. Before, his attempts to quit filled him with rage because (I'm going from what I know of Carr's method. Turk can correct me if I'm wrong) he felt like he was being deprived of a pleasure or crutch. When you have the thoughts "I need/want x" and "I can't have x" competing with each other, you have a conflict. A conflict that induces stress, anxiety, sadness and or anger.

Easyway gives you the understanding that you neither want nor need to smoke. Not by using shock tactics to scare you, but by destroying the myths that cigarettes help you through tough times or enhance good times.

Rather than feeling like he's making a sacrifice, he's about to feel like he's being freed from a trap or a prison.

That's certainly a reason to be positive.

Two-bit guru

I quit decades ago, after about 10 years of smoking 2 packs a day. The trick for me was in a book I read about quitting: Make a list of all the reasons you want to quit and put the list in your wallet or purse. Then quit. Every time you want a cigarette take out the list and read it. I think the process of taking out the list satisfies the reaching for a cigarette and reading the list gives you enough pause to realize that you really do want to quit. It's not easy but the freedom from nicotine is worth the pain.

Poisonshady313

I quit decades ago, after about 10 years of smoking 2 packs a day. The trick for me was in a book I read about quitting: Make a list of all the reasons you want to quit and put the list in your wallet or purse. Then quit. Every time you want a cigarette take out the list and read it. I think the process of taking out the list satisfies the reaching for a cigarette and reading the list gives you enough pause to realize that you really do want to quit. It's not easy but the freedom from nicotine is worth the pain.

Oddly enough, the current international director of Easyway recommends making such a list.

But that's in addition to going through the Easyway program (whether that means attending the clinic or reading the book)

The point of this thread (and I hope you do realize that this thread is about this particular method, and not so much about quitting smoking in general), is that it is easy. That it's painless. As long as you do it the easy way. And that way is Easyway.

Reaching for the cigarette is no more something that needs to be satisfied than ex-heroin addicts needing to stab themselves with needles to satisfy the stabbing of themselves with needles.

It's not the motion they're addicted to. It's the drug.

Thank you for mentioning the making of a list. It's a great reminder for someone who has broken free of the nicotine trap to remember what they've broken free from, especially if they start to forget some of what they read in the book.

But again, the point of Easyway is that it works. And more than that, it's painless and easy.

Poisonshady313

I know some of this may sound like I've said it before, but I think it bears repeating...

The chemical addiction to nicotine isn't the hardest part of quitting. There is no denying that the chemical addiction exists, but that's actually the easiest part from which to break free.

What makes it hard to quit smoking is fear. The fear of it being hard or painful to quit. The fear of relapse. The fear of living life without the pleasure or crutch provided by smoking.

The purpose of Easyway is to remove that fear.

A big reason why many other methods either don't work or are very hard is because they don't really deal with the fear of becoming and staying a non-smoker. Worse, some of them reinforce that fear by reminding you of just how hard it will be.

The truth is, it doesn't have to be. Allen Carr describes quitting smoking as being "ridiculously easy."

Sounds crazy, if the only ways you know how to try to quit smoking are all ridiculously hard.

Why torture yourself with a lifetime of feeling deprived and expecting to start up smoking again any day now, when you can break free of the nicotine trap painlessly and easily? And immediately? And permanently? And confidently? And joyously?

Two-bit guru,

If you're completely free of any and all cravings and desires to go back to smoking... if you don't even really need your list anymore because you're sure that nothing can get you to go back to smoking, that's awesome and amazing. I applaud you.

Well, I applaud you anyway for having quit decades ago. I am genuinely happy for you.

But if it's decades later and you still fear relapse (one of my cousins started smoking again after 20 years of being quit because she believes that it's something that will get her through a stressful time in her life), and if it's still painful, and if it's hard to go through life without smoking, I recommend you go ahead and read the book. You've already quit smoking, but there's no reason for you to suffer.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Did you read any of the previous posts? As I said before, I have smoked for over 22 years and have tried to quit multiple times. You can probably document some of those attempts here on the forums the past 5 or 6 years. I had pretty much given up trying to get rid of the little monster and resigned to just dying. That's sad and pathetic. This book and system may not work for everyone but if it helps just one person it is worth it. If it helps me, even better:D. Don't brush something off just because of your personal experiences. I am almost done with the book. Just a couple more chapters and I am very optimistic.

I am sorry if I was rude.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Try reading some of my posts in this thread.

For 33 years, Allen Carr was a chain smoker, smoking 100 per day for most of that time... and he never actually enjoyed the taste of cigarettes. He tried, and he tried. Probably more frequently than you. He was almost divorced by his wife because at one point he became a secret smoker, and it got to the point that everyone knew he was smoking but her. He had been told by a doctor that the next cigarette could give him a fatal and incurable disease... and upon hearing that news, he stepped outside and smoked a cigarette.

But then he figured it out. And his method has been proven over the past 25 years to not only be effective... but to be easy. Enjoyable even.

The reason you think quitting smoking isn't easy is because you haven't read about THE Easy Way to stop smoking.

Go ahead and read the book and then come back and tell me if you think it's misleading.

Anyone who says that quitting smoking is easy is either a liar or they were never addicted in the first place. Plain and simple.

Poisonshady313

Anyone who says that quitting smoking is easy is either a liar or they were never addicted in the first place. Plain and simple.

Millions of ex-smokers over the course of 25 years disagree.

Allen Carr was an addict. 5 packs a day for upwards of 30 years. And the name of his book is The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

You had a tough time. I'm sorry about that. Many smokers find it hard. They haven't heard of Easyway.

You obviously haven't heard of Easyway before this thread.

I politely request that you not be negative or discouraging regarding a method you're not familiar with.

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman

Then I must be a liar. I started regularly smoking when I was 14. When I got pregnant with my son just 6 years ago, at the age of 29, I quit cold turkey. The day I found out I was pregnant I threw my cigs away and never had one issue. Not one craving. Not one side effect. Nothing. I smoked for over a decade of my life and dropped them as if it was nothing. I still don't smoke and have no desire to. I knew that smoking during pregnancy would mean my baby would smoke too and it might cause problems. That was reason enough to throw them away and it was all I needed. It was easy for me.

As for the book. It was written by a man who smoked for over 30 years. A chain smoker for over 30 years. His book and method has appeared to help many people quit. Easily.

It might just be that the methods you have tried weren't the best for you. But instead of judging Carr's method, you could just check it out. Are you still smoking? If you are, then buying the book would cost you approximately what you probably pay for 1 or 2 packs of smokes. And what do you have to lose by reading a book? Absolutely nothing. If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work. But if it does...wouldn't that be awesome?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Millions of ex-smokers over the course of 25 years disagree.

Allen Carr was an addict. 5 packs a day for upwards of 30 years. And the name of his book is The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

You had a tough time. I'm sorry about that. Many smokers find it hard. They haven't heard of Easyway.

You obviously haven't heard of Easyway before this thread.

I politely request that you not be negative or discouraging regarding a method you're not familiar with.

This is just another con game. Everyone has a method.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Then I must be a liar. I started regularly smoking when I was 14. When I got pregnant with my son just 6 years ago, at the age of 29, I quit cold turkey. The day I found out I was pregnant I threw my cigs away and never had one issue. Not one craving. Not one side effect. Nothing. I smoked for over a decade of my life and dropped them as if it was nothing. I still don't smoke and have no desire to. I knew that smoking during pregnancy would mean my baby would smoke too and it might cause problems. That was reason enough to throw them away and it was all I needed. It was easy for me.

As for the book. It was written by a man who smoked for over 30 years. A chain smoker for over 30 years. His book and method has appeared to help many people quit. Easily.

It might just be that the methods you have tried weren't the best for you. But instead of judging Carr's method, you could just check it out. Are you still smoking? If you are, then buying the book would cost you approximately what you probably pay for 1 or 2 packs of smokes. And what do you have to lose by reading a book? Absolutely nothing. If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work. But if it does...wouldn't that be awesome?
I am not still smoking, but it was hell to quit. It took me 20 times to quit.

Draka

Wonder Woman

A con game? Well, if it is it isn't a very good one. I bought the book for $7. If it works for turk then fantastic. It will save us loads of money from him not buying cigs. He won't be pouring money into trying patches or lozenges or the like again (now there's a racket for you) AND he'll be healthier and live longer to boot. $7 isn't much of a con now is it? It's a book too so other people can use it, borrow it, buy it second-hand and whatnot. As a con...it fails. As an honest and extremely cheap method that has worked for a lot of people and continues to work, it's excellent.

Why are you so down on this? Are you just upset because you had such a hard time and the idea that there might have been an easier way you didn't know about irks you? Are you perhaps just ticked you didn't know about it when you could have used it? Because I really can't see any reason to admonish Carr or his method. Especially if it's successfully working for people.

Poisonshady313

If it's easy and it works, it's not a con game.

There's a reason it's called "THE" Easy Way and not just "AN" Easy Way.

Because the other ways smokers try to quit smoking are all hard.

Some like Draka just quit. No process, no fanfare, they just make a decision not to smoke anymore, and that's that. That's easy enough, though not everybody can do it that way.

It was hard for you (and most other smokers) because you've got certain beliefs in your head about what smoking is, why you smoke, and why you think it's hard to stop. And the fact that the majority of methods out there are not designed to work reinforce the belief that it's hard.

Nicotine patches, Nicotine gums... those are con games. You drop hundreds of dollars on a three month program that might work for a couple months... maybe even a couple of years... but because that smoker still believes they're missing out on something, they go back to smoking.

If you understood the real truth about nicotine addiction and why smokers find it hard to quit, you'd understand how easy it really can be.

Allen Carr's Easyway has the disadvantage of not being started by a millionaire, and not being promoted by the government. It's not as well known as it should be, and that's a shame because if it were, more people would be quitting smoking successfully and easily.

Until you read the book for yourself, your negativity regarding the method is completely unfounded. You aren't the only ex-smoker in the world.

To call a man a liar without knowing what he says... to call his method a con without being familiar with it... says a lot more about you than it does about Allen Carr.

Poisonshady313

I am not still smoking, but it was hell to quit. It took me 20 times to quit.

It was hell FOR YOU.

What makes you think your experience is the standard for every ex-smoker in the world?

Why is it hard for you to wrap your mind around the idea that it might have been far easier for someone else to quit, even though it wasn't so easy for you?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

A con game? Well, if it is it isn't a very good one. I bought the book for $7. If it works for turk then fantastic. It will save us loads of money from him not buying cigs. He won't be pouring money into trying patches or lozenges or the like again (now there's a racket for you) AND he'll be healthier and live longer to boot. $7 isn't much of a con now is it? It's a book too so other people can use it, borrow it, buy it second-hand and whatnot. As a con...it fails. As an honest and extremely cheap method that has worked for a lot of people and continues to work, it's excellent.

Why are you so down on this? Are you just upset because you had such a hard time and the idea that there might have been an easier way you didn't know about irks you? Are you perhaps just ticked you didn't know about it when you could have used it? Because I really can't see any reason to admonish Carr or his method. Especially if it's successfully working for people.
I get upset when people pitch ideas that do not work to people who are hurting. People should tell the truth. The truth is that it is hell on earth to quit an addiction. People suffer. I do not like people making light of the pain that others, including myself, have went through. Do not fall for the lie that quitting an addiction is easy. If it is easy, the person was never addicted in the first place.

Last edited:

IsmailaGodHasHeard

It was hell FOR YOU.

What makes you think your experience is the standard for every ex-smoker in the world?

Why is it hard for you to wrap your mind around the idea that it might have been far easier for someone else to quit, even though it wasn't so easy for you?

You are wrong. It is always hard to quit an addiction. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

blackout

Violet.
After 6 years of a pack a day addiction to cigarettes,
I mySelf stopped cold turkey,
and with no difficulty whatsoever,
when I found out I was pregnant.
That was MANY years ago.

Now I smoke maybe 3 to 8 cigarettes a YEAR.
Just for the enjoyment of it
with the right people
in the right enviornment.
(and usually with a drink. ;) )

Poisonshady313

I get upset when people pitch ideas that do not work to people who are hurting. People should tell the truth. The truth is that it is hell on earth to quit an addiction. People suffer. I do not like people making light of the pain that others, including myself, have went through. Do not fall for the lie that quitting an addiction is easy. If it is easy, the person was never addicted in the first place.

Let's talk about ideas that do not work to people who are hurting, shall we?

Nicotine gum has a 7-13% success rate. That means 87-93% of the people who try it will fail to stop smoking.

The unfortunate many for whom the gum or the patch don't work, they have to drop hundreds of dollars for a three month program... and when they start smoking again, they remember how well the gum or the patch worked last time, and spend another several hundred dollars for another 3 month program. Or maybe they get hooked on the gum, spend a few more hundred dollars, until they remember that a pack of cigarettes is far less expensive than a pack of 100 pieces of nicotine gum, and go right back to smoking. Hell, 5 packs of cigarettes are less expensive than a pack of 100 pieces of nicotine gum

How about side effects?

Let's take a look:

Some of the side effects of Nicorette Gum:

Abnormal dreams; diarrhea; difficulty sleeping; dry mouth; joint pain; muscle pain; nervousness; sweating; weakness.

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fast or irregular heartbeat; mouth, teeth, or jaw problems; pounding in the chest; severe diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, or weakness.

Some of the side effects of Nicoderm CQ:

Abnormal dreams; headache; mild dizziness; mild redness, itching, or burning at the application site; nervousness; sweating; trouble sleeping; vivid dreams.

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; fast or irregular heartbeat; nausea; severe or persistent dizziness or headache; stomach pain or vomiting; swelling or persistent (more than 4 days) redness at the application site.

Some of the side effects of Chantix:

Constipation; gas; headache; increased appetite; nausea; stomach upset; taste changes; trouble sleeping; vivid, strange, or unusual dreams; vomiting.

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); behavior changes; chest pain; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; memory loss; new or worsening mental or mood problems (eg, aggression, agitation, anger, anxiety, depression, nervousness, thoughts of hurting other people); persistent trouble sleeping; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent nausea; suicidal thoughts or actions; vision changes.

These lists are incomplete. I hate to think what else could possibly go wrong. Of course the obvious side effect not listed is becoming addicted to these products.

Now about something that does work....

The Easy Way to Stop Smoking

Allen Carr's clinic has at minimum a 53% long term success rate, and as high as 80%... and that's measured not by anyone affiliated with the Allen Carr Easyway program, but by independent studies. The book is basically what you hear at a clinic session.

For the unlucky few for whom the book doesn't work on the first shot, they could always just read it again, or perhaps refer to a few chapters that address whatever issues that person is having. Once you own the book, it's yours to refer to at any time.

There are no side effects to reading a book. You don't have to consult a physician to read a book. You don't have to avoid reading the book if you're pregnant, have a heart condition, or have allergies. You can spend less than the cost of a pack of cigarettes to buy the book, which is a once in a lifetime cost, and even if it doesn't work (which is unlikely), you're no worse off than before.

I get upset when people pitch ideas that do not work to people who are hurting.
I get upset when you dismiss something which is proven to work to people who are trying it, especially when they may have been hurting from their previous unsuccessful attempts.

The truth is that it is hell on earth to quit an addiction.
That is your experience. You are not every addict in the world. You are not every smoker in the world. Allen Carr figured out a way to make quitting smoking easy, painless, and permanent and has helped millions of people to become ex-smokers using his method.

They were people who were hurting before they came to Easyway, and for you to call them liars, frauds, dismiss the fact that they were addicts, is more upsetting than you know.

I do not like people making light of the pain that others, including myself, have went through.
But you like calling ex-smokers liars, making light of (or worse, denying) their pain and suffering before they found a method that works.

Do not fall for the lie that quitting an addiction is easy. If it is easy, the person was never addicted in the first place.

How dare you? I don't believe for a moment that you have the guts to walk up to someone who quit using Easyway and tell them to their face that they were never addicted.

And how dare you discourage people who are trying to quit by telling them they're being lied to?

What you're doing here in this thread is the worst possible thing a person can do for people who need help.

You don't know the program. You are in no position whatsoever to pass judgment.

A healthy skeptic says "sounds too good to be true" and reads the book for himself and THEN passes judgment.

You have a problem. Maybe an axe to grind, I don't know. But whatever it is, it's a terrible attitude.

It was hard for you. You are not every smoker in the world.

Just because you did it the hard way does NOT mean that all ways are hard.

Your remarks are uninformed, hurtful, false, and immensely unhelpful.

And not just for people who have used/are using/know others who have used Easyway... but also for anyone like Draka, UltraViolet, and others like them who quit EASILY.

Telling addicts who quit easily that they weren't really addicted?

Shame on you.

blackout

Violet.
Telling addicts who quit easily that they weren't really addicted?

Shame on you.

It's not all that far off from telling those who quit christianity
that they weren't really (ever) christians.

Not such a surprising comment really.

When people encounter something different
from what they have experienced as true,
often--perhaps usually-- the first inclination is to dismiss it.
Many people never get past that first inclination.