• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Easyway to Stop Smoking

Draka

Wonder Woman
I get upset when people pitch ideas that do not work to people who are hurting. People should tell the truth. The truth is that it is hell on earth to quit an addiction. People suffer. I do not like people making light of the pain that others, including myself, have went through. Do not fall for the lie that quitting an addiction is easy. If it is easy, the person was never addicted in the first place.
That may have been the truth for you, but it is not the truth for everyone no matter how much you want to believe it is so. As I said, I smoked for over a decade and quit in the simple move of throwing away my pack of smokes. UV apparently did the same thing for the same reason as I did. It WAS easy for me. For you to sit back and call me a liar is rude and ridiculous. Also, HOW is anyone making light of anything? Do you really consider people promoting a certain method to quit as "making light" of your attempts? Am I "making light" of your trials by stating that it was easy for me? No. Everyone has different experiences when quitting. Yours is not like everyone else, nor is mine.

You are wrong. It is always hard to quit an addiction. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.
Hm, it appears that anyone who makes broadbrush generalizations and calls people she doesn't know "liars" is rude.

I still think you are just a bit ticked and maybe even jealous that there could have been an easier way for you that you never found. You sound bitter and bringing that bitterness here to a thread meant to help, bringing that negativity, does no one any favors at all. Not the people here honestly trying this method like my hubby, and not yourself either.

Poisonshady313

BTW... this video is a bit old. Here's some updated figures regarding his book:

It has sold more than 11 million copies, is published in 57 countries, and is available in 38 different languages.

turk179

I smell something....
I get upset when people pitch ideas that do not work to people who are hurting. People should tell the truth. The truth is that it is hell on earth to quit an addiction. People suffer. I do not like people making light of the pain that others, including myself, have went through. Do not fall for the lie that quitting an addiction is easy. If it is easy, the person was never addicted in the first place.
I really hope you do not come back to this thread. Your negativity in this thread could really hurt someones attempt at quitting. You are obviously bitter because their might be an easier way when you had to work your butt off. That doesn't give you the right to come in here and try to sabotage someones attempt at quitting. Please don't come back.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I quit twice. The first time after 9 years, for almost 20 years, the second time about 4 years ago after another 9 years. The first time was incredibly difficult, the second very easy. I have no idea if the two experiences are related. I just can't figure out why someone thinks that everyone else's experience of ANYTHING (not just quitting an addictive habit) HAS to be the same as their own. Its not like we're all precise clones of each other in any way. :confused: This goes both ways. If someone finds it difficult, then THEY find it difficult. The insisting that it's easy is no different that the insisting it's hard.

Poisonshady313

This goes both ways. If someone finds it difficult, then THEY find it difficult. The insisting that it's easy is no different that the insisting it's hard.

I don't think you're paying attention

Nobody is insisting that it's easy. We're saying it CAN BE easy, contrary to an absolute declaration that it MUST be hard.

I'm also saying that Easyway is easier than most other methods.

The only one coming in here insisting anything is the guy who insists that if it's not hell, the person was never addicted to begin with.

Poisonshady313

I really hope you do not come back to this thread. Your negativity in this thread could really hurt someones attempt at quitting. You are obviously bitter because their might be an easier way when you had to work your butt off. That doesn't give you the right to come in here and try to sabotage someones attempt at quitting. Please don't come back.

I don't think he'll be back. He's got his own thread. Don't let him discourage you. He has his own miserable experience. Allen Carr has the experience of personally curing thousands of smokers the easy way, along with several million others who sent feedback over the course of 23 years.

Stay positive, stay confident. I don't know if you finished the book yet, but either way, don't let anything stop you from enjoying being free.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't think you're paying attention

Nobody is insisting that it's easy. We're saying it CAN BE easy, contrary to an absolute declaration that it MUST be hard.

I'm also saying that Easyway is easier than most other methods.

The only one coming in here insisting anything is the guy who insists that if it's not hell, the person was never addicted to begin with.

I'm not paying attention? That 'guy' is a gal.

Poisonshady313

Yes, it CAN be easy. Yes, it CAN be difficult. I know from experience. That's what my post said. Every person is different.

I get that. But your post seemed to suggest that we are insisting that it's easy.

We were just responding to IsmailaGodHasHeard's assertion that it can never be easy.

You are proof that it can be easy.

She would say you're lying about it being easy for you, or you weren't actually addicted.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Let's talk about ideas that do not work to people who are hurting, shall we?

Nicotine gum has a 7-13% success rate. That means 87-93% of the people who try it will fail to stop smoking.

The unfortunate many for whom the gum or the patch don't work, they have to drop hundreds of dollars for a three month program... and when they start smoking again, they remember how well the gum or the patch worked last time, and spend another several hundred dollars for another 3 month program. Or maybe they get hooked on the gum, spend a few more hundred dollars, until they remember that a pack of cigarettes is far less expensive than a pack of 100 pieces of nicotine gum, and go right back to smoking. Hell, 5 packs of cigarettes are less expensive than a pack of 100 pieces of nicotine gum

How about side effects?

Let's take a look:

Some of the side effects of Nicorette Gum:

Abnormal dreams; diarrhea; difficulty sleeping; dry mouth; joint pain; muscle pain; nervousness; sweating; weakness.

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fast or irregular heartbeat; mouth, teeth, or jaw problems; pounding in the chest; severe diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, or weakness.

Some of the side effects of Nicoderm CQ:

Abnormal dreams; headache; mild dizziness; mild redness, itching, or burning at the application site; nervousness; sweating; trouble sleeping; vivid dreams.

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; fast or irregular heartbeat; nausea; severe or persistent dizziness or headache; stomach pain or vomiting; swelling or persistent (more than 4 days) redness at the application site.

Some of the side effects of Chantix:

Constipation; gas; headache; increased appetite; nausea; stomach upset; taste changes; trouble sleeping; vivid, strange, or unusual dreams; vomiting.

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); behavior changes; chest pain; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; memory loss; new or worsening mental or mood problems (eg, aggression, agitation, anger, anxiety, depression, nervousness, thoughts of hurting other people); persistent trouble sleeping; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent nausea; suicidal thoughts or actions; vision changes.

These lists are incomplete. I hate to think what else could possibly go wrong. Of course the obvious side effect not listed is becoming addicted to these products.

Now about something that does work....

The Easy Way to Stop Smoking

Allen Carr's clinic has at minimum a 53% long term success rate, and as high as 80%... and that's measured not by anyone affiliated with the Allen Carr Easyway program, but by independent studies. The book is basically what you hear at a clinic session.

For the unlucky few for whom the book doesn't work on the first shot, they could always just read it again, or perhaps refer to a few chapters that address whatever issues that person is having. Once you own the book, it's yours to refer to at any time.

There are no side effects to reading a book. You don't have to consult a physician to read a book. You don't have to avoid reading the book if you're pregnant, have a heart condition, or have allergies. You can spend less than the cost of a pack of cigarettes to buy the book, which is a once in a lifetime cost, and even if it doesn't work (which is unlikely), you're no worse off than before.

I get upset when you dismiss something which is proven to work to people who are trying it, especially when they may have been hurting from their previous unsuccessful attempts.

That is your experience. You are not every addict in the world. You are not every smoker in the world. Allen Carr figured out a way to make quitting smoking easy, painless, and permanent and has helped millions of people to become ex-smokers using his method.

They were people who were hurting before they came to Easyway, and for you to call them liars, frauds, dismiss the fact that they were addicts, is more upsetting than you know.

But you like calling ex-smokers liars, making light of (or worse, denying) their pain and suffering before they found a method that works.

How dare you? I don't believe for a moment that you have the guts to walk up to someone who quit using Easyway and tell them to their face that they were never addicted.

And how dare you discourage people who are trying to quit by telling them they're being lied to?

What you're doing here in this thread is the worst possible thing a person can do for people who need help.

You don't know the program. You are in no position whatsoever to pass judgment.

A healthy skeptic says "sounds too good to be true" and reads the book for himself and THEN passes judgment.

You have a problem. Maybe an axe to grind, I don't know. But whatever it is, it's a terrible attitude.

It was hard for you. You are not every smoker in the world.

Just because you did it the hard way does NOT mean that all ways are hard.

Your remarks are uninformed, hurtful, false, and immensely unhelpful.

And not just for people who have used/are using/know others who have used Easyway... but also for anyone like Draka, UltraViolet, and others like them who quit EASILY.

Telling addicts who quit easily that they weren't really addicted?

Shame on you.
I have done nothing wrong. Even my Grandpa agrees with me.

Two-bit guru

The point of this thread (and I hope you do realize that this thread is about this particular method, and not so much about quitting smoking in general)

I counted dozens of comments before me in this thread that don't attempt to answer your original 3 questions.

Reaching for the cigarette is no more something that needs to be satisfied than ex-heroin addicts needing to stab themselves with needles to satisfy the stabbing of themselves with needles.

It's not the motion they're addicted to. It's the drug.

As a heavy ex-smoker to one who has never smoked, the ritual of reaching for the cigarette does have something to do with the addiction. Obviously, the addict isn't addicted to reaching. The anticipation of imminent satisfaction of the nicotine craving while taking out another cigarette is pleasurable in itself. Substituting the list provides a pleasant anticipation, too, an anticipation that reading the list will alleviate the pain caused by nicotine deprivation.

I'd think twice about the heroin addicts, too.

Thank you for mentioning the making of a list.
You're welcome.

It's a great reminder for someone who has broken free of the nicotine trap to remember what they've broken free from, especially if they start to forget some of what they read in the book.

Nicotine is definitely a trap, but from my experience the list had more to do with focusing on what I was gaining by not smoking.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I get that. But your post seemed to suggest that we are insisting that it's easy.

Sort of. Not you personally. Just the Allen Carr method. Read the title. Easyway. I get that insinuation from it. I guess they had to come up with some kind of catchy name for it. (Hardway wouldn't be very catchy.) At one time they (the Easyway organisation) were making claims like 95% success rate. You put it at 53 or a bit higher, which is more realistic. There are just so many many factors here, some somewhat shady marketing strategies being one of them. We've all had tragedy from it in one way or another. Personally, I wish there was as much focus on the harm of alcohol, but for some reason the pro-alcohol lobby seems to work better than the big tobacco one did.

Two-bit guru

I know some of this may sound like I've said it before, but I think it bears repeating...

The chemical addiction to nicotine isn't the hardest part of quitting. There is no denying that the chemical addiction exists, but that's actually the easiest part from which to break free.

Speaking from experience, the nicotine is the hardest part of quitting. There is no feeling quite like the crawly, itchy, tingling, sweaty discomfort that comes over one trying to break a chemical addiction.

What makes it hard to quit smoking is fear. The fear of it being hard or painful to quit. The fear of relapse. The fear of living life without the pleasure or crutch provided by smoking.

Not in my experience.

A big reason why many other methods either don't work or are very hard is because they don't really deal with the fear of becoming and staying a non-smoker. Worse, some of them reinforce that fear by reminding you of just how hard it will be.

The truth is, it doesn't have to be. Allen Carr describes quitting smoking as being "ridiculously easy."

Sounds crazy, if the only ways you know how to try to quit smoking are all ridiculously hard.

Why torture yourself with a lifetime of feeling deprived and expecting to start up smoking again any day now, when you can break free of the nicotine trap painlessly and easily? And immediately? And permanently? And confidently? And joyously?

This sounds like an advertisement.

Two-bit guru,

If you're completely free of any and all cravings and desires to go back to smoking... if you don't even really need your list anymore because you're sure that nothing can get you to go back to smoking, that's awesome and amazing. I applaud you.

Well, I applaud you anyway for having quit decades ago. I am genuinely happy for you.

Thank you!!

You've already quit smoking, but there's no reason for you to suffer.

Thanks for your concern but I'm not suffering and expect I won't be needing the book. I do hope the many folks who are suffering from nicotine addition will find a path to alleviate their suffering.