• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Emerging World Religion

Sees

Dragonslayer
This article seems relevant to a lot of recent threads with similar thoughts.

christiananswers.net/q-eden/mysticism-bennett.html

@InChrist and @Yoshua - do you agree with what is said in it?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I am a little confused, the title of the thread is the emerging world religion.

Are yuu saying you believe that there will be, and currently is, an emerging world religion? Is there a name for this religion?

To me, a religion is when many beings of life or even light share an exciting quest that gives zest to life and happiness to the soul. So that would discount, in my opinion, the Islamic extremists because they are a cult of death, suicide and killing others because they cannot live with themselves knowing they are throwbacks and so they are embarased with being inferior to those filled with a zest for life. They especially become suicidal and murderous.

I am not criticising religions where death plays a part. And there are times when taking your own life might make sense. Take Royal Ladies of the Maharaja, the thugs have overrun the Royal State, the Maharaja has been killed in the field, and the thugs are heading to the palace to rape.

Well, firstly the Ladies should greet them with Enfields, burning oil, then if cornered they should all set themselves on fire after drinking poison and let the fire go wild just as the thugs have entered past the walls and into the chambers and the doors behind them lock shut with stone anchors.

Good job, girls!

Sorry, back on subject. So which world religion is emerging? It sounds like it would be exciting times! I am all for excitement.

Yoshua

So, when Jesus said that many would come saying, "I am he," and that many would follow them, he was joking? Or lying?
Hi Sojourner,

If you are referring to this statement, Jesus clearly told us that many will claim that he is the Christ. When He said this statement, He is not lying or joking, for Jesus does not lie. He is the truth.

Matt. 24:5
5. "For many will come in My name, saying, `I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.

Thanks

Yoshua

I dunno. I've witnessed an outright miracle that would be classified as "supernatural."
Yes, we may all witnessed to some supernatural things around us. Miracles happened. What is important to know is where does the "supernatural" originated? Is it from God or from the evil one? How could you detect the light and darkness?:shrug:

The authority (supernatural) should be coming from God.

Thanks

Yoshua

Hi Sees,

Those are actually what is really happening to different faiths/beliefs. If I may attached some part of the conclusion, here it is :

True Christians interpret all religious experience by the normative revelation of God recorded for them in the Holy Bible. The wicked love darkness; but God's people love the Light! Mystics have not scrupled openly to equate the true God with “the god” within. They have thought to divest themselves of God Himself by turning to inward self-realization and enlightenment. Rather, the values that they set are based on personal inner feelings that are often incapable of reasoned explanation.

The Gospel is the exact opposite, the historical message of the Cross of Christ for a lost world. The Gospel proclaims Christ Himself, and the God and Father of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who in His love gave His Son to die for sinners. There is no valid excuse for true believers to be deceived by “false apostles,” who transform themselves into the “apostles of Christ,” "for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light."[38]

There are many false prophets gone out into the world, if we study diligently these things, which God has recorded for our safeguard against the subtle deceptions of Satan, we will not mislead nor be misled. True believers in Christ must take to heart solemn warnings of the Apostle Paul,

"Be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."[39]

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."[40]christiananswers.net/q-eden/mysticism-bennett.html

This is the truth. Thanks

InChrist

Free4ever
Well, I'm not at all sure that mystics are elevating self over deity, as you call it, when they have mystical experiences. It seems to me that the experience of oneness or of the One precludes the elevation of self over deity. You just don't experience god and say, "Oh, I'm greater than that".
I think this begs the question, 'What god are mystics encountering during their mystical experiences?". And like I said they may not be outright claiming to be exalting themselves or saying they are greater than whatever oneness they are experiencing, but they do trust themselves as their own highest authority with adequate wisdom to judge the spiritual realm.

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes, escape and be liberated from inner suffering(hell) to an inner way of peace, joy (heaven) in THIS life. That is the good news, there is power within to do so. Does one believe/have faith in the power that lies latent/hidden/dormant within them to resurrect/awaken them to true life? Does one believe/have faith/hope in that there is an escape from inner hell, to a better way of being and living? Does one believe in that power that lies within the blood of the human body to transform/revive/resurrect the mind and heart?

I can see that passage in a complete different way. . .

That every human being has eternal life. Life... which was, is, and is to come. That the "son of man" is not a literal guy but within all of mankind... The "life of man." Life..... everyone has life, but do they have a mundane/suffering/hopeless/depressed/miserable/unhappy/followers of man's lower natured constitution of rules/control life or do they have a blissful, content, peaceful, restful/free fulfilled life? The life of man becomes the life in/of "God." Mankind all has life, but do they have the higher name(nature/character) of life? When that is properly sought after, discovered, and found... One will live a peaceful and joyous life in THIS life.
I think it is so much easier and sensible to read in context and see the scriptures for what they say. In this case, anyone who has the Son of God, Jesus, who John was writing about, has eternal life.

InChrist

Free4ever
I disagree. Mysticism isn't "leaven." Mysticism doesn't seek to help us supplant God. Rather, it helps us live into a deeper realization of whose we are. Are we not to be "in union" with God?? Do we not take Christ into ourselves in the Eucharist?? do we not form the body of Christ??

What's wrong with a universal religion, in which all people can, through their own unique perspectives, gain such a deeper realization? Are we so caught up in "right belief," that we've completely eschewed right action and right aspect? One of the things that deep religious growth tells us is that differences don't really matter. God is what matters -- no matter how we envision God, or what we call God. One of the other things that deep religious growth tells us is that differences do matter, where they are allowed to divide us, to judge us, to make less of us, and serve to keep us from being a whole humanity.

The cross and the concept of soter are types or forms that indicate a deeper spirituality that we must embrace. Saying, "Lord, Lord!" isn't good enough. And that is congruent with the biblical message.
I think if mysticism leads one to a God of one's vain imagination (and I believe it does), then it does supplant God. It matters how we envision God because He desires we know Him for who He is, not who we make Him out to be. Actually, I think it is this attitude of creating a God out of our imaginations, making God whatever we want God to be, allowing for whatever differences without regard to truth which brings confusion and division.

InChrist

Free4ever
What logic or evidence could you possibly use to answer such an apparently meaningless question?
I use the Bible, God's word. How could any finite human beings even begin to think they could understand the realities of the spiritual realm if the information were not revealed and provided by God?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think if mysticism leads one to a God of one's vain imagination (and I believe it does), then it does supplant God. It matters how we envision God because He desires we know Him for who He is, not who we make Him out to be. Actually, I think it is this attitude of creating a God out of our imaginations, making God whatever we want God to be, allowing for whatever differences without regard to truth which brings confusion and division.

I'm curious where you are getting your notions of mysticism from? What are your sources? Which mystics have you studied? You have, in my opinion, only a very sketchy understanding of what you have chosen to talk about. Of course, I could be wrong about that.

InChrist

Free4ever
So, when Jesus said that many would come saying, "I am he," and that many would follow them, he was joking? Or lying?
Of course He was not lying or joking. Many have come claiming to be "Christ", but they are impostors, false christs and not the one Jesus Christ. I've seen people on this forum claim to be Christ.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I use the Bible, God's word. How could any finite human beings even begin to think they could understand the realities of the spiritual realm if the information were not revealed and provided by God?

So, if I understand what you're saying, you take it on faith that the Bible is a more accurate and comprehensive source of information about mystical experiences than the accounts of mystics themselves?

InChrist

Free4ever
I'm curious where you are getting your notions of mysticism from? What are your sources? Which mystics have you studied? You have, in my opinion, only a very sketchy understanding of what you have chosen to talk about. Of course, I could be wrong about that.
Mystics such as: Anthony the Great and desert fathers, Brother Lawrence, Mister Eckhart, Teresa of Avila, Thomas Merton, Henri Nouwen, Richard Foster, Rob Bell, Tony Jones, Doug Pagitt, Brian McLaren and others.

InChrist

Free4ever

I agree with the article completely. I know the person who wrote it ( a former Catholic priest of 22 years).

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Hi Sojourner,

If you are referring to this statement, Jesus clearly told us that many will claim that he is the Christ. When He said this statement, He is not lying or joking, for Jesus does not lie. He is the truth.

Matt. 24:5
5. "For many will come in My name, saying, `I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.

Thanks
But it goes to prove InChrist's statement a moot point. There could be, in fact, "two Jesuses." One who is the real Jesus and one who is an imposter. That was the poster's point to which InChrist gave this non-response.