• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Exclusivity of Christianity

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What kind of evidence would you need to believe in God?
I have posted more than one thread on this forum asking atheists that question, but they really could not come up with any reasonable answers.

What would be sufficient evidence for God? Some atheists think a banner in the sky saying "I'm God" would constitute evidence.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If Jesus was an ordinary person who led an ordinary life, way does 33% of the world population still follow Jesus 2000 years later?
Marketing. Paul and Constantine put Jesus on the map, and the crusaders, missionaries, and conquistadores spread it further at the point of a sword or an inquisition or a witch hanging. They've put a Bible in every hotel room, and they ran ads during the Superbowl. You've got pastors trying to grow their congregations and collection plates promoting the religion from the pulpit. Our resident Protestant Pastor on RF just commented that he led about a half dozen to Jesus last Sunday. And then there's his Sunday school in the basement marketing this religion to children.
It is not the language that is used to describe what Jesus did that matter, it is what Jesus actually did.
I've yet to hear anything that wasn't either a miracle or mundane.
It is laughable that Baha'u'llah would have to go by the gospels in order to know what Jesus did in His life. Baha'u'llah had the knowledge of God
I don't believe that. Nor do I believe that he knew any more about Jesus than I or anybody else familiar with the Gospels does.
That is why I believe that the Writings of Baha'u'llah are a much better source of information about Jesus than the New Testament.
Then we're not talking about the same historical character. I'm talking about the New Testament Jesus. You're describing fan fiction.
Jesus was God's Representative on earth.
I don't believe that, either. It seems that your claims of Jesus' exceptionality are all rooted in some faith-based belief about Jesus.
Jesus manifested the attributes of God
No. He manifested the attributes of a man.
Jesus came to bear witness to the truth about God.
Like thousands of other people including you.
I am not trying to win a debate so I have no need to provide a counterexample.
You don't need to worry about that. Debate ends with the last plausible, unrefuted claim, meaning that the issue is settled. It's assumed that if you could offer a counterexample, you would have. When does it ever happen that somebody has a compelling counterargument and doesn't make it to a critical thinker disagreeing with him because he doesn't feel like it? Never. That behavior translates into concession.
Justified means having, done for, or marked by a good or legitimate reason. I have justified the belief by the existing evidence.
Not in this context. It means that it comports with the laws of fallacy-free reason connecting evidence and premises to sound conclusions. You use your own version of reasoning.
There are no rules for interpreting evidence for Messengers of God.
The rules for evaluating evidence apply to all that is evident.
Truth is what is actually true.
That's your definition of truth? That's not a definition of anything. If you use the definiendum as the definiens as well, you get tautology.
Methods of determining what is true vary according to what you are examining.
Not for me. It's always empiricism. An idea needs to be shown to be correct before it can be called that. Correct ideas are the ones that accurately predict outcomes, their only test, but one which they must pass.
Religious truth is testable but not by scientific tests
If your claim isn't testable empirically, it's not testable at all. It falls into the category of a metaphysical statement, which because it is untestable, can never be called correct or incorrect. Besides also being called unfalsifiable and unscientific, such ideas are called not even wrong.
To conflate religion and science is the fallacy of false equivalence.
Yes, but why tell me? I don't confuse the two. I also don't have separate standards for evaluating their claims. The religious ask us to soften our standards for belief when dealing with their faith-based beliefs (that's when words like materialism and scientism are used derisively), but why would a critical thinker do that?
Tell me what you think the reason is.

Why would a deity with an important message that it wants known and believed but has to use a messenger to deliver it want to have its messenger be readily recognized as such? Do you really need that answered?
What kind of evidence would you need to believe in God?
I would need to experience something that confirmed or very nearly confirmed its existence. That's never happened. You might ask what that could be. I can't think of anything that couldn't also be due to an advanced alien civilization of naturalistic origin (abiogenesis followed by evolution), including creating a universe.
You might think it is easy to change your mind, but using all the resources of RF it would be virtually impossible to convert any atheist into a believer of any religion.
That's only true if no religion has sufficient supporting evidence to justify belief in it.
There's nothing I can do, or rather, anything Trailblazer could do, to convert you to any religion, because any "evidence" we come up with will be hyper-analyzed and picked apart from, piece by piece.
Hyper-analyzed and picked apart? I use the same methods for evaluating religious claims as any other kind of claim. And yes, it involves tearing an idea into its component pieces ("piece by piece"). Thats the lysis of analysis: "analysis, "a breaking-up" or "an untying;" from ana- "up, throughout" and lysis "a loosening").

If the universe is godless, then it follows that there is no evidence that a god exists and none that could support the faith-based claims any religion. Had you considered that possibility as an explanation for atheism in addition to skeptics being too fussy? Believers need to convince skeptics using compelling evidence, without which, their claims will always be rejected. Do you consider that unfair?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
If the universe is godless, then it follows that there is no evidence that a god exists and none that could support the faith-based claims any religion. Had you considered that possibility as an explanation for atheism in addition to skeptics being too fussy? Believers need to convince skeptics using compelling evidence, without which, their claims will always be rejected. Do you consider that unfair?

In Earthseed God is less of a being and more of a concept, as change is the differences that compose beings through actions performed on and from them. Maybe the question isn't "why is there no evidence of God" but rather "why haven't you considered anything God yet?" Think about it. Think about everything you know of, both factually and conceptually. If those things are proven to exist at any rate, then there's the possibility that you might consider that thing a God. The problem isn't that you haven't found any evidence of God, but rather, you haven't found anything that can claim its role, that you already know which exists already.

The way I understand God, everything has a finite amount of divinity built into them, but, that finite amount can increase or decrease by the will of nature or humankind, therefore, it is that change they bring forth that allows them to become more Godlike. Syntheism is more considered a transtheistic idea than monotheistic. Why do we need God when we can create that God ourselves? Maybe you should try exploring and understand the things you think actually exist and then come to the conclusion out of those things that do, what or which of those things are God.

If you don't believe in divinity at all, or find that idea superfluous, then you can't believe in God, and the argument falls before it can be made.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Marketing. Paul and Constantine put Jesus on the map, and the crusaders, missionaries, and conquistadores spread it further at the point of a sword or an inquisition or a witch hanging. They've put a Bible in every hotel room, and they ran ads during the Superbowl. You've got pastors trying to grow their congregations and collection plates promoting the religion from the pulpit. Our resident Protestant Pastor on RF just commented that he led about a half dozen to Jesus last Sunday. And then there's his Sunday school in the basement marketing this religion to children.
It was marketing at first, but that does not fully explain why a third of the world population still follows Jesus.
However, I see that @Exaltist Ethan just nipped that in the bud. It probably continues to be marketing, as well as family upbringing and societal conditioning that explains why one third of the world population follows Jesus.
I've yet to hear anything that wasn't either a miracle or mundane.
There is nothing mundane about being a Representative of God.
I don't believe that. Nor do I believe that he knew any more about Jesus than I or anybody else familiar with the Gospels does.
I did not expect you to believe it just because I believe it.
Then we're not talking about the same historical character. I'm talking about the New Testament Jesus. You're describing fan fiction.
If anything is fan fiction it is the New Testament Jesus, not Baha'u'llah's version of Jesus. :rolleyes:
I don't believe that, either. It seems that your claims of Jesus' exceptionality are all rooted in some faith-based belief about Jesus.
Of course they are faith-based since nobody really knows what Jesus did as a fact, except that He was crucified.
No. He manifested the attributes of a man.
No. He manifested the attributes of God.
Like thousands of other people including you.
No, nobody except a Messenger of God can bear witness to the truth about God. That is the main reason they come to earth.
You don't need to worry about that. Debate ends with the last plausible, unrefuted claim, meaning that the issue is settled. It's assumed that if you could offer a counterexample, you would have. When does it ever happen that somebody has a compelling counterargument and doesn't make it to a critical thinker disagreeing with him because he doesn't feel like it? Never. That behavior translates into concession.
You can asume anything you want to such as assuming I am in a debate with you. I am in no debate, I am only in a discussion. People who debate have a need to win but I have no need to win anything since I consider that egotistical. You can call that concession if you want to.
Not in this context. It means that it comports with the laws of fallacy-free reason connecting evidence and premises to sound conclusions. You use your own version of reasoning.
You also use your own version of reasoning and you think it is better than mine.

If you knew anything about logic you would know that since we can never prove that God exists so we can never prove that God has Messengers.
And that is why logical arguments cannot be used to try to prove that God exists or has Messengers.
Not for me. It's always empiricism. An idea needs to be shown to be correct before it can be called that. Correct ideas are the ones that accurately predict outcomes, their only test, but one which they must pass.
Good luck trying to apply that to God.
If your claim isn't testable empirically, it's not testable at all. It falls into the category of a metaphysical statement, which because it is untestable, can never be called correct or incorrect. Besides also being called unfalsifiable and unscientific, such ideas are called not even wrong.
Testing a God that can never be seen empirically is illogical. I can and will call it correct because it passes my test since I have empirical evidence for Baha'u'llah.
Yes, but why tell me? I don't confuse the two. I also don't have separate standards for evaluating their claims. The religious ask us to soften our standards for belief when dealing with their faith-based beliefs (that's when words like materialism and scientism are used derisively), but why would a critical thinker do that?
My point was that the standards of evidence cannot be the same since religion and science are differnt.
Why would a deity with an important message that it wants known and believed but has to use a messenger to deliver it want to have its messenger be readily recognized as such? Do you really need that answered?
The deity does not need anything from humans, not anything at all. It is humans who need what the deity reveals.

It doesn't affect the deity whatsoever if its message is known or believed and that is why the deity does not care if its message is readily recognized.

“This is the changeless Faith of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future. Let him that seeketh, attain it; and as to him that hath refused to seek it—verily, God is Self-Sufficient, above any need of His creatures.” Gleanings, p. 136

“Regard thou the one true God as One Who is apart from, and immeasurably exalted above, all created things. The whole universe reflecteth His glory, while He is Himself independent of, and transcendeth His creatures.” Gleanings, p. 166

Last edited:

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
It was marketing at first, but that does not explain why a third of the world population still follows Jesus.
Actually, what he said does explain it. Although, there are probably some more nuances he chose not to include, like family and peer conditioning.
No. He manifested the attributes of God.
All men manifests attributes of God. Baha'u'llah was just ahead of the curb when it came to global unity and prosperity.
No, nobody except a Messenger of God can bear witness to the truth about God. That is the main reason they come to earth.
What God is, is different for each individual. The prophets were just more vocal about that.
You can assume anything you want to such as assuming I am in a debate with you. I am in no debate, I am only in a discussion. People who debate have a need to win but I have no need to win anything since I consider that egotistical. You can call that concession if you want to.
We are literally in Religious Debates, and both of you share unlike opinions on God. It's a debate.
If you knew anything about logic you would know that since we can never prove that God exists so we can never prove that God has Messengers.
And that is why logical arguments cannot be used to try to prove that God exists or has Messengers.
We can prove that God exists, but to convince to other people that is definitive proof of God, is just a very difficult thing to do.
Testing a God that can never be seen empirically is illogical. I can and will call it correct because it passes my test since I have empirical evidence for Baha'u'llah.
You went from "nobody can prove God" to "I have empirical evidence for Baha'u'llah" in two paragraphs. Try to have more consistency. That's one of the biggest faults of the Baha'i Faith - they claim God is unknowable then say the prophets know God.
My point was that the standards of evidence cannot be the same since religion and science are different.
Yes, science explains how things came to be, where as religion explains why.
The deity does not need anything from humans, not anything at all. It is humans who need what the deity reveals.
If religion never existed would people exist? I contend they would, although things would be very different.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I don't understand what TB is trying to say. From a Baha'i pov most of those Christian believe things that aren't true. So, what does that prove? That people will believe what those that claim to know the truth say?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Actually, what he said does explain it. Although, there are probably some more nuances he chose not to include, like family and peer conditioning.
Yes, I agree, so I had to go back and change my other post.
All men manifests attributes of God. Baha'u'llah was just ahead of the curb when it came to global unity and prosperity.
I agree with that too. All men have the potential to manifest the attributes of God. Baha'u'llah even wrote that.

“Whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth is a direct evidence of the revelation within it of the attributes and names of God, inasmuch as within every atom are enshrined the signs that bear eloquent testimony to the revelation of that Most Great Light. Methinks, but for the potency of that revelation, no being could ever exist. How resplendent the luminaries of knowledge that shine in an atom, and how vast the oceans of wisdom that surge within a drop! To a supreme degree is this true of man, who, among all created things, hath been invested with the robe of such gifts, and hath been singled out for the glory of such distinction. For in him are potentially revealed all the attributes and names of God to a degree that no other created being hath excelled or surpassed. All these names and attributes are applicable to him.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 177

What God is, is different for each individual. The prophets were just more vocal about that.
I agree. Everyone experiences God differently, as an individual.
We are literally in Religious Debates, and both of you share unlike opinions on God. It's a debate.
In my mind it is not a debate because I am not trying to prove I am right or win anything.
We can prove that God exists, but to convince to other people that is definitive proof of God, is just a very difficult thing to do.
I think we an prove to ourselves that God exists, if that is what you mean, but we can't prove that God exists to other people.
You went from "nobody can prove God" to "I have empirical evidence for Baha'u'llah" in two paragraphs. Try to have more consistency. That's one of the biggest faults of the Baha'i Faith - they claim God is unknowable then say the prophets know God.
Empirical evidence for Baha'u'llah just means we can verify that He existed, but that does not prove God exists since we cannot prove that Baha'u'llah got messages from God.

Baha'is believe we can know the attributes of God and the will of God through the Messengers. When Baha'is say that God is unknowable we mean that the Essence of God is unknowable, and even the Prophets did not know the Essence of God.

“The conceptions of the devoutest of mystics, the attainments of the most accomplished amongst men, the highest praise which human tongue or pen can render are all the product of man’s finite mind and are conditioned by its limitations. Ten thousand Prophets, each a Moses, are thunderstruck upon the Sinai of their search at His forbidding voice, “Thou shalt never behold Me!”; whilst a myriad Messengers, each as great as Jesus, stand dismayed upon their heavenly thrones by the interdiction, “Mine Essence thou shalt never apprehend!” From time immemorial He hath been veiled in the ineffable sanctity of His exalted Self, and will everlastingly continue to be wrapt in the impenetrable mystery of His unknowable Essence. Every attempt to attain to an understanding of His inaccessible Reality hath ended in complete bewilderment, and every effort to approach His exalted Self and envisage His Essence hath resulted in hopelessness and failure.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 62-63
Yes, science explains how things came to be, where as religion explains why.
Yes, that's true, and Baha'is believe that science and religion are like two wings of a bird, and humanity needs both wings to fly.
If religion never existed would people exist? I contend they would, although things would be very different.
I agree. Humans would still exist, but they would not be civilized or moral if there was never any religion.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't understand what TB is trying to say. From a Baha'i pov most of those Christian believe things that aren't true. So, what does that prove? That people will believe what those that claim to know the truth say?
Baha'is believe that 'some' of what Christians believe is not true, but 'some' of what they believe is true. Christianity is a mixed bag.

The fact that people will believe things that are not true proves that people will believe what those that claim to know the truth say.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Baha'is don't really seem to include those primitive religions that, to me, seem very manmade. I think it was people inventing their religion and their Gods. Then, of course, when Europeans conquered and made colonies of places where those types of religions existed, the Christian Europeans outlawed those religions.

F1fan

Veteran Member
In Earthseed God is less of a being and more of a concept, as change is the differences that compose beings through actions performed on and from them. Maybe the question isn't "why is there no evidence of God" but rather "why haven't you considered anything God yet?" Think about it. Think about everything you know of, both factually and conceptually. If those things are proven to exist at any rate, then there's the possibility that you might consider that thing a God. The problem isn't that you haven't found any evidence of God, but rather, you haven't found anything that can claim its role, that you already know which exists already.
How is this useful, except to feel OK about some impulse to believe in the common cultural act: belief in a God? Is it hard to consider that you are feeling pressure to believe in a God and approach your dilemma in what you suggest above? It's not useful for any other thing but to satisfy the need to believe.
The way I understand God, everything has a finite amount of divinity built into them, but, that finite amount can increase or decrease by the will of nature or humankind, therefore, it is that change they bring forth that allows them to become more Godlike. Syntheism is more considered a transtheistic idea than monotheistic. Why do we need God when we can create that God ourselves? Maybe you should try exploring and understand the things you think actually exist and then come to the conclusion out of those things that do, what or which of those things are God.

If you don't believe in divinity at all, or find that idea superfluous, then you can't believe in God, and the argument falls before it can be made.
It's kind of funny that you asked a question I was thinking, and that is why we need a God at all. I was wondering because you are diluting the idea of God to such a degree that it is pretty much just a general coverall. God is it, God is us. Why need to use the word God at all? It isn't descriptive. It's being defined out of relevance. If virologists look for the existence of a new virus and find it, according to you they should slap a "God" label on it. How is that useful?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe you should try exploring and understand the things you think actually exist and then come to the conclusion out of those things that do, what or which of those things are God.
I've done that. I don't have any experience that I want to call God or a god. I don't interpret my spiritual intuitions as evidence of gods. Evidence for gods is scant, and the concept adds no understanding.
That's like saying "if the universe is meaningless"..
I had written, "If the universe is godless, then it follows that there is no evidence that a god exists and none that could support the faith-based claims any religion." I live in a godless universe now and don't find it or my life in it meaningless. How would having a god in it make it any more meaningful to me? Maybe there is one. Maybe not. If so, it doesn't intervene in the affairs of men.
It was marketing at first, but that does not fully explain why a third of the world population still follows Jesus.
I think it does. The marketing often begins in the crib. Here in Mexico, they like to reenact Bible stories at holidays, which reinforces the teaching they hear at mass the rest of the year. On Christmas, we see creches and children reenacting Mary and Joseph looking for a room and being turned away until welcomed. On Easter come the passion plays and the reenactment of the march into Jerusalem on Good Friday.
There is nothing mundane about being a Representative of God.
Sure there is. Millions claim to be speaking for their gods. Remember, my claim was that if you remove the magic from the Gospels, you're left with an ordinary man living an ordinary life, not an example to be followed any more than millions of other examples. If you mean more by that than that Jesus was a man who promoted his religion, then you keep bringing me the magic to distinguish this life.
Of course they are faith-based since nobody really knows what Jesus did as a fact, except that He was crucified.
I had written, " It seems that your claims of Jesus' exceptionality are all rooted in some faith-based belief about Jesus." I'm going by the story of the man in the Gospels. It doesn't matter for my purpose if it's all fiction or not. We have a tale of a man who is reported to have been and to have done assorted things, and this life is held out as exemplary. The Christian is exhorted to be Christlike, and the implication is that this is a standard beyond man's grasp which he should attempt to approximate as best he can. My point is that none of that makes sense to me, since such people of that moral character or greater are exceedingly common. You say you aren't debating, but you are contradicting, although not with counterexamples in rebuttal, just vague claims about Jesus being special. Your argument is essentially that Jesus' life was special and exemplary because Jesus was more than just another man, which you say you believe by faith.
He manifested the attributes of God.
Which ones did he demonstrate? Here's a post I left elsewhere that summarizes God's image. Perhaps you can tell me how many of these boxes Jesus ticks:

"According to dogma, your god is invisible, immaterial, immortal, perfect, infinite, lives outside of space and precedes time.​
"Your god is omniscient, omnipresent, supernatural and has magical power.​
"Your god never had a spouse, never had sex, never experienced lust, divorce or a broken heart.​
"Your god was never born, never had parents, never raised children and never had a sibling or a friend.​
"Your god has never slept or had a nightmare, never had a headache, has never had the flu, felt hot or cold or been hungry.​
"Your god has never had to support himself, never had to study or learn. never been humiliated, felt guilt, blame or shame, and has never been afraid.​
"None of that describes me or you.​

It also doesn't describe Jesus.
am in no debate, I am only in a discussion.
What's the difference to you? When does discussion become debate? Elsewhere, you wrote, "In my mind it is not a debate because I am not trying to prove I am right or win anything." Is that when you feel that you're in a debate - when you're trying to win something?

I don't disagree that you aren't in a debate, but you are in a dispute. You contradict what others say. It doesn't rise to debate because you don't make counterarguments, just counterclaims. What I am doing is debating. When I disagree with a comment from you, I say so explicitly and give my argument as I just did in rebuttal to your claim that Jesus manifested God.
People who debate have a need to win
I love to debate. The winners are the ones that learn. You and I have had this discussion before about framing debate as attack. It's not. It's a method for resolving differences, assuming both debaters are up to speed in their critical thinking skills.
You also use your own version of reasoning and you think it is better than mine.
I didn't invent my reasoning. You invented yours. And the one I chose is demonstrably better than any alternative method for determining what is true, which is why I chose it. It is better. It works. It generates sound conclusions. Yours doesn't. Yours is in the service of defending your faith-based beliefs, and has no rules.
Good luck trying to apply that to God.
I had written, "An idea needs to be shown to be correct before it can be called that. Correct ideas are the ones that accurately predict outcomes, their only test, but one which they must pass." I already have applied that to gods. That's why I'm an atheist.
Testing a God that can never be seen empirically is illogical.
Believing that a god that cannot be empirically confirmed exists is believing in a guess, which I consider illogical.
My point was that the standards of evidence cannot be the same since religion and science are differnt.
Yet they are the same standards used, at least in the critical thought community. Your making a special pleading argument - that god claims should be excused from critical analysis - but your argument for that is that gods can't be detected. If that correct - that no test can ever detect a deity - then that's grounds for me to consider them nonexistent like every other thing for which that is true. There are also no tests for leprechauns or vampires. Are you prepared to give leprechaunists and vampirists the same pass you ask for your god, that one cannot apply the standards of evidence to the claim, so it should just be believed without evidence? I'll bet not. Me, neither.
The deity does not need anything from humans
No such claim was made. My comment was about what it wants. What I wrote was, "Why would a deity with an important message that it wants known and believed but has to use a messenger to deliver it want to have its messenger be readily recognized as such? Do you really need that answered?" Does this deity have a purpose in sending messengers? Apparently not according to your theology. I would have guessed that it was to be known, believed, trusted, and worshiped, in which case it would need to be heard and understood first, hence messengers. But you describe a god who seems to have no purpose.

F1fan

Veteran Member
..so, what do you consider is the meaning of the universe, if you do not find it meaningless?
As Viktor Frankl said, we humans find meaning when we set goals worthy of the self.

I see many theists appear a bit empty of personal meaning despite being very absorbed in their rekligious dogma, and I suspect they have expected more from their religious experience than it delivers. Oddly one way for such believers to feel some significance is to promote their beliefs in interactions with others, and then defend their beliefs when they get disagreement. On another thread there is a Christian who believes he is guided by the Holy Spirit but condemns other types of Christians as being influenced by Satan. Can you spot the irony, and the emptiness in his views?

PearlSeeker

I did not try to change the original meaning and intention of the stories. Abdu'l-Baha did that.
I do not pretend to know the original meaning or intention of the stories since I did not write them.
IMO you don't have to be the writer or an expert in exegesis to understand the outline of the stories.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
what do you consider is the meaning of the universe, if you do not find it meaningless?

I find the world meaningful to me. It's interesting, life-sustaining, beautiful, and I get an intuition of the sacred experiencing it mindfully. But it's none of things without conscious agents to experience it and have those intuitions in so doing. Thus, I don't think the universe has any meaning except to conscious agents, without whom, it wouldn't matter if the universe existed or not. The religious perspective is often that God had a purpose, but I don't define meaning to myself in those terms.

Life doesn't become more meaningful with a god belief. It may become less meaningful, however, as is the case for those who live it as if it's a staging area or audition, as if they are at a cosmic bus stop waiting for life to be over so that they can be transported to something better. I hope that you're not one of them.

A tip-off to that is the idea that without that afterlife, this life has no meaning. Imagine being convinced of that and living with that belief. It's like waiting for school to end so you can get to summer vacation, but for a lifetime, and if you've guessed wrong, you die on the last day of school and summer vacation never comes.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
If Jesus was an ordinary person who led an ordinary life, way does 33% of the world population still follow Jesus 2000 years later? I suggest you put your logic cap on.

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so." Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia

The converse of this is that if many or most people do not believe it, it cannot be so, and that is fallacious.

You've already pointed out the Argumentum ad populum fallacy, which "uses an appeal to the beliefs, tastes, or values of a group of people, stating that because a certain opinion or attitude is held by a majority, it is therefore correct." If this concept is applied to Islam, it should be considered a true religion on par with Christianity because there are over a billion Muslims worldwide. According to another Wikipedia article, a projection by the PEW suggests that Muslims numbered approximately 1.9 billion followers in 2020 (Islam by country; also Muslim Population by Country 2023). How can Christianity and Islam both be true religions when their teachings and beliefs contradict one another? In fact, many of Christianity's teachings and beliefs contradict one another.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No such claim was made. My comment was about what it wants. What I wrote was, "Why would a deity with an important message that it wants known and believed but has to use a messenger to deliver it want to have its messenger be readily recognized as such? Do you really need that answered?" Does this deity have a purpose in sending messengers? Apparently not according to your theology. I would have guessed that it was to be known, believed, trusted, and worshiped, in which case it would need to be heard and understood first, hence messengers. But you describe a god who seems to have no purpose.
Nobody except the deity knows what the deity wants, so there is no point discussing it.

A want is not a need. I might want a new car but I do not need a new car.

The deity does not need anything from humans. That means the deity does not need to be need to be heard and understood, and the deity does not need to be known, believed, trusted, or worshiped. That is why the deity does not deliver a message that can be readily recognized by everyone.

“He who shall accept and believe, shall receive his reward; and he who shall turn away, shall receive none other than his own punishment.”
Gleanings, p. 339

It does not affect the deity if we choose not to know, believe, trust or worship Him. The deity has no needs because ----

“Your Lord, the God of mercy, can well dispense with all creatures. Nothing whatever can either increase or diminish the things He doth possess.
Gleanings, p. 148

The deity is self-sufficient and independent of its creatures so it has no needs whatsoever. Whatever the deity gives us is only for our sake, not for the deity's sake. The deity's purpose in sending the Messengers is to give humans what they need in order to fulfill the purpose of their existence, which is to know and love God and serve others, and to acquire the spiritual qualities we need in this life and in the life to come.

“This is the changeless Faith of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future. Let him that seeketh, attain it; and as to him that hath refused to seek it—verily, God is Self-Sufficient, above any need of His creatures.” Gleanings, p. 136

“Regard thou the one true God as One Who is apart from, and immeasurably exalted above, all created things. The whole universe reflecteth His glory, while He is Himself independent of, and transcendeth His creatures.” Gleanings, p. 166

“Consider the mercy of God and His gifts. He enjoineth upon you that which shall profit you, though He Himself can well dispense with all creatures.”
Gleanings, p. 140

“The one true God, exalted be His glory, hath wished nothing for Himself. The allegiance of mankind profiteth Him not, neither doth its perversity harm Him. The Bird of the Realm of Utterance voiceth continually this call: “All things have I willed for thee, and thee, too, for thine own sake.”
Gleanings, p. 260

Last edited: