• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Family - A Proclamation to the World

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
you don't like the way the country is run? GO VOTE or go live in a cave and stop causing problems.

And, if the Democrats win in 2008, and you don't like their gay, poor, and secularist friendly policies, then that will be too bad for you. You'll just have to hide under a rock and quit whining so the rest of us won't have to hear your "poor oppressed me" tripe.

Do you think it doesn't cut both ways? Or, are only people who agree with you allowed to express an opinion?

rojse

RF Addict
My question is, does the family unit have to include a couple that are married, even if they are of the same gender? Marriage is, after all, a religious ceremony.

Jeremiah

Marriage is, after all, a religious ceremony.

If it is a religious ceremony than what is it doing in our laws?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/Table_Marriage.htm

-------

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.

This proclamation was read by President Gordon B. Hinckley as part of his message at the General Relief Society Meeting held September 23, 1995, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

They are not addressing members of their church.

Jeremiah

That's right. Prophets have always spoken to the general public. That's not imposing their beliefs on you. Everyone is still free to choose whether they will listen or not.

call upon

"request earnestly (something from somebody); ask for aid or protection "

"have recourse to or make an appeal or request for help or information to"

"She called upon her Representative to help her"; "She turned to her relatives for help"

------

officers of government everywhere to promote those measures

promote
  1. To raise to a more important or responsible job or rank.
  2. To advance (a student) to the next higher grade.
  3. To contribute to the progress or growth of; further. See synonyms at advance.
  4. To urge the adoption of; advocate: promote a constitutional amendment.
  5. To attempt to sell or popularize by advertising or publicity: commercials promoting a new product.
  6. To help establish or organize (a new enterprise), as by securing financial backing: promote a Broadway show."
I don't get your reasoning.

Bishka

Veteran Member

"She called upon her Representative to help her"; "She turned to her relatives for help"

------

promote
  3. To contribute to the progress or growth of; further. See synonyms at advance.
  5. To attempt to sell or popularize by advertising or publicity: commercials promoting a new product.
  6. To help establish or organize (a new enterprise), as by securing financial backing: promote a Broadway show."

What's the problem, the LDS Church isn't forcing anyone to do anything.

nutshell

------

promote

Just because people are "called upon" to "promote" something doesn't mean they will. Pretty simple.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'll stay in my not being presided over by my mate relationship. Thanks. ;)
I'm certenly no more nurturing than my mate is, and I'm certenly not going to be anything but an truely equal partner in any aspect of our lives.

While family is hugely important, I don't think it is up to any one group to tell everyone elce what a "real" family is. Family is more than genetics, more than who you sign a legal document with...

wa:do

nutshell

I'll stay in my not being presided over by my mate relationship. Thanks. ;)
I'm certenly no more nurturing than my mate is, and I'm certenly not going to be anything but an truely equal partner in any aspect of our lives.

Funny how everyone leaves out the "in love and righteousness" part.

While family is hugely important, I don't think it is up to any one group to tell everyone elce what a "real" family is. Family is more than genetics, more than who you sign a legal document with...

Prophets have been telling people God's will for thousands of years. And, for thousands of years, most people aren't listening.

Finally, this Mormon proclamation says nothing about genetics or legal documents. You presume too much.

DeepShadow

White Crow
Never underestimate the power of a 4-year old with a super soaker.[/free associating]

Back on topic too much to ask?

Smoke

Done here.
I totally agree. That's why I think we should get the government out of the marriage business entirely.
The government should certainly get out of the religious marriage business. No religious sacrament, ordinance, or rite should change any person's legal status, nor should ministers of religion perform their religious rites as agents of the state. Religious marriages should be purely religious matters of no legal effect or standing whatsoever, and the government should concern itself only with civil marriage.

Bishka

Veteran Member
The government should certainly get out of the religious marriage business. No religious sacrament, ordinance, or rite should change any person's legal status, nor should ministers of religion perform their religious rites as agents of the state. Religious marriages should be purely religious matters of no legal effect or standing whatsoever, and the government should concern itself only with civil marriage.

AMEN!

:yes:

:clap:clap:clap

Smoke

Done here.
Marriage is, after all, a religious ceremony.
There are religious ceremonies of marriage, but marriage is not intrinsically religious. When particular marriages have some religious aspect, that's absolutely no concern of the state's, nor is there any reason whatever for the state to take any official notice of any religious rite.

Jeremiah

What's that supposed to mean?

Thanks for trying to understand me Becky, I know it can be hard sometimes; I am working on it.

It means that I feel that the people of the church are generally unaware of the responsibility they have and power they have to influence the minds of the masses.

I just feel that the church needs to be more careful in their wording and I feel that some people will take this message the wrong way.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Funny how everyone leaves out the "in love and righteousness" part.
no has the right to judge this aspect of my relationship to my mate.

Prophets have been telling people God's will for thousands of years. And, for thousands of years, most people aren't listening.
yeah, no one listens to my religions prophets... except the followers of my faith.

Finally, this Mormon proclamation says nothing about genetics or legal documents. You presume too much.
I presume in accordance to the discussion going on. Marrage is often a leagal contract. And the difference between that leagal documentation, religious sanction and personal commitment is huge. Marrage is byond legalities and religious ceremonies... the most important part is the personall commitment.

The LDS are keen on family, but families arn't as legitimate if they don't have specal ceremoneis done to bind them together.
Thus my family will break apart when we die as we are not 'sealed for eternity'.

And yes it does bring up genetics... male and female. Family isn't just a man and a woman, neither is love.
You presume incorretly of my statement. ;)

madhatter85

Transhumanist
of course the family will break up after death if they are not sealed in the temple for time and all eternity. notice how the vows say "till death do us part" yeah..... exactly what is says. the only way it can be bound on earth and for eternity is by one who is in authority to do so. and there is none on the earth with the abiity to do so, except for those who hold the holy priesthood (which is the power to act and speak in God's name through devine inspiration).

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
of course the family will break up after death if they are not sealed in the temple for time and all eternity. notice how the vows say "till death do us part" yeah..... exactly what is says. the only way it can be bound on earth and for eternity is by one who is in authority to do so. and there is none on the earth with the abiity to do so, except for those who hold the holy priesthood (which is the power to act and speak in God's name through devine inspiration).
No, not "of course." According to your beliefs. Beliefs which are just that: beliefs, as opposed to obvious facts. Beliefs that not everyone shares.