• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the fastest spreading religion in the world

Smoke

Done here.
A philosophy toward religion is a religion. Isn't it?
Only if a philosophy about contraception is contraception. Religion is not just belief. Having an opinion doesn't make you religious. Religion must be practiced; belief doesn't even have to enter into it. Shintoists, for instance, don't give a **** about theology. You don't have to believe to practice Shinto; you don't have to have faith.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
My point is that you missed the understanding of Theism and posted your own incorrect definition, that you missed the entire point of this discussion and posted useless information intending to create animosity .
What's your point?

Smoke

Done here.
My point is that you missed the understanding of Theism and posted your own incorrect definition, that you missed the entire point of this discussion and posted useless information intending to create animosity .
You're a very poor mindreader.

You're wrong, too. It is not incorrect to say that theism is a belief in God or the Gods.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Paganism is actually the fastest growing religions in the world, but the Western Media doesn't mention that much, because the Right Wing doesn't want to look like it's lending support to Paganism. There are now 2 million Wiccans alone, not counting other groups. I know Kemetics number about 120,000 last I checked.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You can assert that all you want but the fact is that many atheist I have had dealings with teach their disbelief as a religion going as far as proselytizing others to join them in their disbelief. Granted, for most, there just is no belief in a deity and no interest in religion but there are still a lot who will write books about atheism, seek out books about atheism and join in with others to discuss atheism. That sounds like a religion to me.

So with that being the case, I think that you could add atheism as a contender for fastest growing religion.

I'm afraid we will have to file this one under "very exotic definitions of religion".

As Smoke said, if writing books and spreading the word are enough to make some movement a religion, then we will have to make most hobbies religions.

Smoke

Done here.
Paganism is actually the fastest growing religions in the world, but the Western Media doesn't mention that much, because the Right Wing doesn't want to look like it's lending support to Paganism. There are now 2 million Wiccans alone, not counting other groups. I know Kemetics number about 120,000 last I checked.
Paganism isn't really a religion. It's a kind of religion. And while very small religions can grow at very great rates, very small religions just aren't that significant to most people.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I'm never wrong, but you on the other hand have YET to answer my initial inquiry . . .do I need to point it out ?
You're a very poor mindreader.

You're wrong, too. It is not incorrect to say that theism is a belief in God or the Gods.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
What is referred to as Paganism is a throw-together of all non-Christian beliefs, needed to be grouped into one by the Christian religion in order to demonize what IS and what IS NOT acceptable. Up until the advent of the Roman Empire and Christianity, Pagan religions ruled the Earth and in many ways still do.
Paganism isn't really a religion. It's a kind of religion. And while very small religions can grow at very great rates, very small religions just aren't that significant to most people.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What is referred to as Paganism is a throw-together of all non-Christian beliefs, needed to be grouped into one by the Christian religion in order to demonize what IS and what IS NOT acceptable. Up until the advent of the Roman Empire and Christianity, Pagan religions ruled the Earth and in many ways still do.

No doubt there are those who define Paganism in such a way. They are not Pagans, however.

For one thing, Paganism is polytheistic and/or animistic, while not all non-Christian religions were, even 2000 years ago.

Specifically, Zoroastrism, Judaism, most if not all forms of Hinduism, Shinto, Confucionism, Buddhism and Taoism are not Paganism - and they all existed at the time of Paul and Constantine.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

That's the old definition. Nowadays, Paganism is an umbrella term for various nature-based religions, revivalist religions, and sometimes LHP religions.

Hinduism, for example, is not considered Pagan by modern standards.

Justin Thyme

Child of God
I'm afraid we will have to file this one under "very exotic definitions of religion".

As Smoke said, if writing books and spreading the word are enough to make some movement a religion, then we will have to make most hobbies religions.

If the group is promoting rug hooking then it is a hobby. If the group is promoting a specific view of God, even if that view is that there is no God, then it's a religion.

Actually, I didn't say that atheism is a religion. What I said is that there are a lot of atheist that treat it as such.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
If the group is promoting a specific view of God, even if that view is that there is no God, then it's a religion.

Except that still doesn't work, because there are religions that are indifferent towards any view of God.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Blavatsky seemed to think so.

Blavatsky did not see Theosophy as a religion, but as religion itself.

Thus Theosophy is not a Religion, we say, but RELIGION itself, the one bond of unity, which is so universal and all-embracing that no man, as no speck--from gods and mortals down to animals, the blade of grass and atom--can be outside of its light. Therefore, any organization or body of that name must necessarily be a UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD.

Complete details of her position
here,.."Is Theosophy a Religion?" by Blavatsky

Smoke

Done here.
I'm not attempting to define religion. I'm attempting to explain how an atheist can treat atheism as a religion.
You're not doing a very good job, though. You seem to think that if people feel strongly about atheism and talk about it a lot, that makes it a religion. Not very convincing.

Justin Thyme

Child of God
You're not doing a very good job, though. You seem to think that if people feel strongly about atheism and talk about it a lot, that makes it a religion. Not very convincing.

Actually, I'm doing a great job of it but there will be some who refuse to admit it. ;)