• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "I'm Proud to be LGBT" thread

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Here's how it works. Those of us who are LGBT state why we are proud to be as we are, and share a little about ourselves if we like. I'll begin.

I am proud to be LGBT because I refuse to be ashamed of who I love. Society sees me as different. I am proud to be different. Different people make society interesting and challenge people to create change. My name is Joseph, and I'm proud to be gay.

Next :)

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I don't see gay people as different. Do you think I should?
Maybe. From the OP, I would assume it's best to see them different. Otherwise, he has little to be proud about, and society also isn't challenged.

Not that those are my actual feelings. I think it's best to see everyone as equals, but hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Growing up in Canada, I'm not exactly proud of being gay... (or more specifically, transgendered... but that's another story. I just say that I am gay because it's easier to explain). I STRONGLY dislike the decadence of the Pride Festival in Canada, simply because it still perpetuates the stereotype that gay men are flamboyant and highly promiscuous.

The last thing appealing about Pride week is the amount of cruising, sex hook-ups, drunkards and used condoms on Davie Street in Vancouver.

I do flick the wrist at times, but otherwise I could care less. I only hope that spirituality is always part of my life, especially God. I do NOT need to be half naked on the street with chaps for acceptance in mainstream society.

Just a good old fashioned Christian wedding, marriage, and a good, providing husband with two children. :D

LuciaStar

Constant Seeker
Bisexual. :D Always had a feeling I was during high school, as I was starting to get more attracted to girls. I still like men, too.
... and I always talk about hot women with my lesbian friend. <3
I never really labeled it for a while as I didn't entirely care because, I liked what I liked but sometimes a label can help to simplify things. In the end, I'm proud of it because it doesn't matter what I like. I'm not going to change or deny it. Things just ended up being chaotic when I tried to deny my sexuality.

Duck

Growing up in Canada, I'm not exactly proud of being gay... (or more specifically, transgendered... but that's another story. I just say that I am gay because it's easier to explain). I STRONGLY dislike the decadence of the Pride Festival in Canada, simply because it still perpetuates the stereotype that gay men are flamboyant and highly promiscuous.

The last thing appealing about Pride week is the amount of cruising, sex hook-ups, drunkards and used condoms on Davie Street in Vancouver.

I do flick the wrist at times, but otherwise I could care less. I only hope that spirituality is always part of my life, especially God. I do NOT need to be half naked on the street with chaps for acceptance in mainstream society.

Just a good old fashioned Christian wedding, marriage, and a good, providing husband with two children. :D

And Mardi Gras (a flamboyant largely Christian, largely straight event) is better than pride how? Personally, I have no issues with one day a year being all about the flamboyance, camp and decadence that LGBT folks can achieve. How many other largely straight, largely christian drunken orgies are there every year? I don't want to be assaulted with seeing half naked straight people leaving their beer cans, broken bottles and used rubbers all over either...

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Mardi Gras actually isn't a largely Christian event, speaking as someone from NO. Mardi Gras may be celebrated by a lot of Christians, but it's more rooted in NO's Pagan heritage, which NO does have quite an interesting one. Louisiana's local culture has a lot of Paganism and Catholicism both.

And Mardi Gras (a flamboyant largely Christian, largely straight event) is better than pride how? Personally, I have no issues with one day a year being all about the flamboyance, camp and decadence that LGBT folks can achieve. How many other largely straight, largely christian drunken orgies are there every year? I don't want to be assaulted with seeing half naked straight people leaving their beer cans, broken bottles and used rubbers all over either...

I really don't know much about Mardi Gras since it isn't really celebrated here in Canada, or at least in BC where I'm from.

So I'm at a cultural loss at what you're trying to imply towards me. I always thought that the pomp and decadence of Mardi Gras was more of an American thing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I'm not really proud of being trans. That is just how I was born. However I am proud enough in myself to not let society dictate how I live.

Witch9

Coming out as a Witch pretty much coincided with coming out as a transsexual, with the evolving synergy moving through many stages to bring me to, and past, the point where I now label myself as an androgynous shamanic lesbian Witch. For me, shamanism and freedom from gender are just two facets of an infinite crystal.

I cannot, though, say that I am "proud" to be LGBT, it is just what I am, according to others' labels; I am proud, however, that I have found the power to be me.

Blessed Be
:witch:​

blackout

Violet.
I Am who I Am.

I don't know that I'm "Proud" of who/what I am,
but I do Love and Embrace Who I Am.

That's enough.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I'm not LGTB but I am proud to see you all stading up for yourselves.

Those who have the nerve to criticise who you are as a choice or an abomination to their respective God's make me physically sick.

Don't let the bigots bother you, just know that you're not as pathetic as their attempts to put you down and in turn secure their own insecurities.

Your quickly becoming my favourite member Anne. :D

Can't say I know many other gay ppl myself. :(

I know quite a bit of people who are gay myself... one gay Unitarian minister, one gay alternative-lifestyle yoga, vegetarian, Sufi-ish man, my ex-boyfriend, the guys at Starbucks... XD

Honestly, they're everywhere. Too bad I haven't been able to score a date yet though! :D

:ignore: