• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "I'm Proud to be LGBT" thread

Galen.Iksnudnard

I hope I don't cause offence to anyone here, but I don't get this thread. What is there to be proud about being gay? I'm not proud to be straight, after all. It's just who I am. For me to be proud to be straight makes as much sense to me as being proud I'm bald, or proud I'm right handed. It's just the way I was born.

On the other hand, I think people SHOULD be proud of working to accomplish things. Be proud if you came out as gay and were able to convert your family of anti-gay people into people who accept you and love you the way you are. be proud of working to make this world less hateful of people who are demonized over minor differences (be they sexual orientation, race, religion or gender identity).

But I don't see how people can be proud of being they way they are, a way that required no effort whatsoever on their part.

Like I said, I hope I haven't offended anyone.

On the contrary, members of the LGBTQI have quite a lot to be proud of given the current culture of discrimination against them. They have to work that much harder in order to overcome a lot of society's notions about them.

Tiberius

Being proud = refusing to be ashamed and fighting persecution/judgement

Oh, agreed. If a gay person stands up against those who would deny him (or her) rights, then they should be proud, because they are fighting against inequality and injustice. I will be at their side, fighting for those rights as well. And I will be just as proud as they are.

I didn't take offense at your post. I thought it was made in good spirit.

:)

Perhaps the best way to explain it is that the "default" status for what a society deems moral, ethical, strong, and perhaps ideal, is a white Protestant Christian heterosexual male who has been college educated and is over 35. If we look at the majority of people in power and the acquisition of their decision making power and money, it has been observed that these characteristics are considered the ideal.

And I think that is terrible.

Allow me to digress for a bit in order to explain this.

I was reading a book by Richard Dawkins (I think it was "The Greatest Show On earth", a great read), and he mentioned this idea of an archetypical member of a species. He used the example of a rabbit, specifically. He said that there was some supremely rabbity rabbit, that had the highest level of rabbitness that a rabbit could possibly have. it's not a real rabbit that actually exists. Any living rabbit is an imperfect version of it. Maybe its ears are too long, or its tail isn't fluffy enough. But the idea of a rabbit yardstick, against which the rabbitiness of all real rabbits can be measured is a real one. It's similar to how there is an archetypical circle. Any circle you can show me is a flawed, imperfect shadow of a real circle. After all, a real circle is perfectly rough. But any circle you can show me will have imperfections. Any circle you draw, no matter how carefully, will have wobbles. And the line of the circumference will be a two dimensional line, with a length going around the circle and a width across the line, rather than the perfect circle, in which the line has no length.

But the trouble is that living systems like rabbits are not perfect like circles. To have an archetypical rabbit is to deny rabbit evolution, because it states that rabbits can never vary too far from the archetype. Or it says that evolution was somehow guided, aiming towards the archetypical rabbit from the rabbit ancestor millions of years ago. The only way around it is to claim that the archetypical rabbit is a constantly shifting thing, perhaps the average of all living rabbits, and as a new rabbit is born or an old one dies, the archetype changes with it. But that goes against the whole idea of an archetype.

Likewise, to claim that there is a "default" member of our society is to put us in the same situation. To me, the claim that the average member of society is "a white Protestant Christian heterosexual male who has been college educated and is over 35" is just as nonsensical as the idea of an archetypical rabbit. It is to ignore the vast and wonderful variety of people and ideas that mingle peacefully (for the most part) in our society, and I think it's limiting to think of our society in that way.

So, like black pride, native pride, women power (hear me roar), and other pride movements, queer pride is the collective reaction against the cultural distinction that being straight is how people should act, think, and measure their self-worth against.

I fully agree, and I'll add that with the exception of harmful things like theft, murder and other similar actions, there shouldn't be any limitations on what people "should" be.

We don't have Irish pride so much anymore since our culture doesn't discriminate against the Irish, though we used to quite a bit. GLBTQs are aiming to have the same happen for us. I'd like to be able to list someday on a census that I'm bisexual and have it be seen as typical as listing my address and how many people live at our residence.

Again, I agree. In a perfect world, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm mostly heterosexual but I think LGBT Pride is a good thing. It's not so much about being proud of something that was not decided, but rather about celebrating their identities.

In many places, LGBT identities are not tolerated, and in some of the more progressive parts of the world they are increasingly tolerated. But even in those progressive parts, I think a minority of people go beyond tolerance into full acceptance and embracing of LGBT people.

LGBT pride is basically a stance that they're proud of who they are, they're part of the diversity of life, it need not be thought of as a disadvantaged state compared to a heterosexual "standard", it's a healthy and valid form of identity and expression, and that it's something to be fully accepted and embraced by others and themselves rather than just tolerated.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I'm mostly heterosexual but I think LGBT Pride is a good thing. It's not so much about being proud of something that was not decided, but rather about celebrating their identities.

In many places, LGBT identities are not tolerated, and in some of the more progressive parts of the world they are increasingly tolerated. But even in those progressive parts, I think a minority of people go beyond tolerance into full acceptance and embracing of LGBT people.

LGBT pride is basically a stance that they're proud of who they are, they're part of the diversity of life, it need not be thought of as a disadvantaged state compared to a heterosexual "standard", it's a healthy and valid form of identity and expression, and that it's something to be fully accepted and embraced by others and themselves rather than just tolerated.

This, exactly! :)

desideraht

Hellspawn
I am indifferent to my LGBT status. I don't think I deserve some badge of honour for being different. However, I do think we deserve credit for the discrimination we face. It makes life unusually cruel and difficult for many of us. As a gay person who is also transsexual, I face a great deal of discrimination.

Right now my biggest struggle is that the military will not accept Me, despite the fact that we are on the brink of war. More than ever I feel called to Serve My country, yet for reasons that are invalid, they consider Me and all other transgender persons medically exempt. It has caused a great deal of depression for Me. As a youth I chose between going straight into the Army or transitioning. I transitioned because I was convinced that if I didn't I would have mental breakdowns in training. I chose the healthier path, yet now they tell Me I am "unfit" for duty. They have it completely backwards. As a "normal" person before I was unfit for duty. Transitioning has cured My ailment and enables Me to Serve with strength and valour. But alas, so it is with the U.S. Armed Forces... They do not accept us as of yet, and only just over a year ago accepted gay people openly serving. It is a long road. The "T" part of the LGB tends to get thrown under the bus. They very loud "LGBT" military movement died down as soon as the gays got what they wanted. They abandoned their transgender brothers and sisters. Our visibility has been tremendously decreased. Fortunately, the Palm Center is on board with us; they are the same group that released studies which lead to DADT being repealed. I am grateful to have their professional say weighing in on this. They are conducting studies now.

That being said, if you are proud to be LGBT, that is great, and your prerogative! I just simply do not feel drawn to be proud of it. I do, however, have no shame, and wear my full identity on my sleeve. If I were to enter the military, however, I would keep it largely on the down-low, for the sake of professionalism.

I am not ashamed of being gay. Proud? Well, it's kind of like being proud for having blue eyes or something. Nevertheless, it's an important part of my identity.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
Here's how it works. Those of us who are LGBT state why we are proud to be as we are, and share a little about ourselves if we like. I'll begin.

I am proud to be LGBT because I refuse to be ashamed of who I love. Society sees me as different. I am proud to be different. Different people make society interesting and challenge people to create change. My name is Joseph, and I'm proud to be gay.

Next :)

I'm bi myself, but I don't think I should be any more proud of being so, than straight, gay, pan, or trans people should be of being who they are. I definitely do not like Pride parades either. They seem to perpetuate the worst stereotypes imaginable, none of which I fit into.

EyeofOdin

People often try to convert me to Christianity, and it tends to get too far.

When I go into a restaurant, I don't know if the waiter or cook spat in my food. At my work, I'm refused service from at least once a week. If I start a life with someone, live in a house, buy a dog, adopt kids, live the American dream, because of the state I live in, if he were to die, his family can come and take everything and I couldn't do anything about it. All of this is because of those people trying to convert me. No I'm not interested in going to church with you this Sunday.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
People often try to convert me to Christianity, and it tends to get too far.

When I go into a restaurant, I don't know if the waiter or cook spat in my food. At my work, I'm refused service from at least once a week. If I start a life with someone, live in a house, buy a dog, adopt kids, live the American dream, because of the state I live in, if he were to die, his family can come and take everything and I couldn't do anything about it. All of this is because of those people trying to convert me. No I'm not interested in going to church with you this Sunday.

I have heard about this happening and I am so glad that we dont have much of that here.

sacredmeow

Light Seeker.
I just thought I'd drop in an say hello! I'm a little queer witch and I'm quite content with who I am. I also thought I'd drop a little ace pride here, too. I'm gray/demisexual. Despite this, I'm very sex positive. The world is in short-supply of love these days. I figure if you find someone (or someones) to love with all your heart, gender and orientation should not be a factor.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Demisexual means that they are not attracted to anyone, unless they emotionally bond with them first... I think.

Can also refer to a low to non-existent sex drive.

Gray-A / Grey-A - AVENwiki

sexuality and sexuality are not black and white; some people identify in the gray (spelled "grey" in some countries) area between them. People who identify as gray-A can include, but are not limited to those who:
  • do not normally experience sexual attraction, but do experience it sometimes
  • experience sexual attraction, but a low sex drive
  • experience sexual attraction and drive, but not strongly enough to want to act on them
  • people who can enjoy and desire sex, but only under very limited and specific circumstances
Similarly, some people who might technically belong to the gray area choose to identify as asexual because it is easier to explain. For example, if someone has experienced sexual attraction on one or two brief, fleeting occasions in their life, they might prefer to call themselves asexual because it is not worth the bother of having to explain these one or two occasions to everyone who asks about their orientation.
Gray-As may also append a gender orientation to the label, as in "Gray-heterosexual".