• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "I'm Proud to be LGBT" thread

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I STRONGLY dislike the decadence of the Pride Festival in Canada, simply because it still perpetuates the stereotype that gay men are flamboyant and highly promiscuous.

The last thing appealing about Pride week is the amount of cruising, sex hook-ups, drunkards and used condoms on Davie Street in Vancouver.

Maybe you can be instrumental in cleaning up the parade and making it more family friendly.

shadowcat

Schroedingers Pony
I am not proud to be what I am. I just am. Bisexual, btw. But why is it something you should be proud of, I mean, you don't choose to be what you are, or do you? I can understand that you are not ashamed of what you are, but I'm also not proud.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I am not proud to be what I am. I just am. Bisexual, btw. But why is it something you should be proud of, I mean, you don't choose to be what you are, or do you? I can understand that you are not ashamed of what you are, but I'm also not proud.
The pride came about as a reaction to the shame that people had invested homosexuality with. It's a simple statement that "I'm not ashamed to be gay or lesbian, but am quite satisfied with my sexuality---sexual orientation." I don't believe the word is to meant be taken literally.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

When you're beaten down. hated and discriminated against in society for something you are, you have to stand up and declare to all the haters "yes! This is what I am! I'm not ashamed! I'm proud to be who I am! You can't take it away from me!". That's what all the different facets of minority pride is about. I am proud to be who I am, despite the hatred and misunderstandings of the majority. I'm proud to be me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
This is how I feel about it. I am the way I am for reasons entirely outside of my control. I see no reason to be proud or ashamed. It just is.
In my daily life though, I am very strong and proud. It usually takes a direct confrontation for me to even consider giving you the time of day because, yes, as a matter of fact, I am above those that are low enough to require harassing and beating others to feel good about themselves, and it is likely that the things I am doing have a far greater priority than feeding petty egos with a response.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I was all into the LGBT stuff when I first came out. Watched a bunch of movies, tried connecting with heaps of gay people, went to the gay pride stuff....now I feel all gayed out lol. I am proud of me. But I dont go around announcing it or making my life all about it.

littleoldme

proud as in self respect.

as a bi sexual, i am more than just my sexuality.
i am a woman
i am a mother
i am a life partner
i am a singer
i am a songwriter
i am angry
i am happy
i am sad
i am compassionate

granted not all at once...but all these things i feel dignified about when i am those things...

wouldn't it be great if saying one was lesbian, gay, bi sexual or transexual was as benign as saying one was left handed...

i am a dreamer
:D

Tiberius

wouldn't it be great if saying one was lesbian, gay, bi sexual or transexual was as benign as saying one was left handed...

Wouldn't it be great if no one felt the need to say if they were gay, bi or straight, just as people today don't feel the need to say, "There's something I need to tell you, and I hope you're going to be okay with it, but... I'm left handed."

littleoldme

Wouldn't it be great if no one felt the need to say if they were gay, bi or straight, just as people today don't feel the need to say, "There's something I need to tell you, and I hope you're going to be okay with it, but... I'm left handed."

yes it would be.
:)

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian

I kind of wished that we did not use the words gay, straight, or bi. Honestly... I would rather people eventually start going by their kinsey-scale number. Although, I guess that could get a little complicated. (BTW, Kinsey level 3 here.)
tumblr_inline_n0whmiot8h1r7x93l.jpg

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
We call ourselves gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, queer, trans, etc. because those are largely cultural terms and we're recognizing that we're a part of a subculture. It's like how black Americans, Latino Americans, Italian Americans, Jewish Americans, etc. all have their cultures, so do we.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I was all into the LGBT stuff when I first came out. Watched a bunch of movies, tried connecting with heaps of gay people, went to the gay pride stuff....now I feel all gayed out lol. I am proud of me. But I dont go around announcing it or making my life all about it.
That was how I felt at first with trans stuff. What I can say though is it helped me to realize that even though it is a pretty big part of who I am, overall it's really not that big and I'd rather be living doing whatever than dedicating large chunks of life to things that make it a big part. I also discovered that online forums for transsexuals typically are not very friendly and filled with members who are trying to define who is and who isn't. It's so bad that some have insisted I am only fetish-driven cross dresser because I'd prefer jeans over skirts (I never got around to asking such people how they define natal-women who prefer jeans). Really I'd have to say it seems the GLB part is far more tolerant and accepting of the T part than the Ts are.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I kind of wished that we did not use the words gay, straight, or bi. Honestly... I would rather people eventually start going by their kinsey-scale number. Although, I guess that could get a little complicated. (BTW, Kinsey level 3 here.)
tumblr_inline_n0whmiot8h1r7x93l.jpg

Kinsey isn't really right for this. 3 doesn't describe me like pansexual does. It's both too specific - ones and fives might as well be zeros and sixes for practical purposes- and not specific enough.
922360_512377738825760_824300766_o.jpg

The genderbread person is decent for illustrating identity as a multi scale matter. If this pic doesn't work I'll link it better from my PC.