• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jesus Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

outhouse

Atheistically
Jeshua of Nazareth, really was there really such a man, You can read the text of the Children of the Scroll of Iraq and find out what and where exactly Nazareth is.

HOW Can men who know nothing of this ask of Jesus of Nazareth amazes me- If you are scholars
read about him in the Haran gawaithia

im sorry but what "exact" date do you have for said scroll or book???

outhouse

Atheistically
haha- The Secret of YEshu is nesstled in a far more ancient myth among the Hebrews, a tradition so old it predates Jerusalem- from the "foundations of the earth" was he established
This YESHU a name which is not a name- its more like the NIKE shoe tick- which has come to symbolize JUST DO IT

yes we know all about it.

doesnt change the facts about what we know as its already been taken into context.

Embarkon

well perhaps you too have become victims of a great cosmic, or better yet religious subterfuge you cannot shake loose from- at best you are as a child guessing at the size of the universe

outhouse

Atheistically
You're certainly welcome to present that evidence, outhouse.

It's why we're here.

Historical Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The quest for the historical Jesus operates under the premise that the New Testament does not necessarily give an accurate historical picture of the life of Jesus. The biblical description of Jesus is sometimes referred to as the Christ of Faith in this context. The Historical Jesus is thus based on the ancient evidence for his life such as fragments of the Gospels. Therefore the historical Jesus is constantly evolving as new evidence is being uncovered. The purpose of research into the Historical Jesus is to examine the evidence from diverse sources and critically bring it together in order to create a composite picture of Jesus

outhouse

Atheistically
well perhaps you too have become victims of a great cosmic, or better yet religious subterfuge you cannot shake loose from- at best you are as a child guessing at the size of the universe

from what ive seen one of us has done some work on the subject and the other has not

I dont believe in deitys of any kind and find them human creations

I am unbiased and give my opinion from the study I have done. It happens to go right along with the scholarly view

Embarkon

well wht im saying _ notariqon_ hint hint, look deeper the answer is there- and it will blow the roof off this topic- and really get to the root of this psuedo-historical Jesus of Nazareth

Nazareth is a cipher nothing more of a term Nasirutha,
My name is embarkon

AmbiguousGuy

The quest for the historical Jesus operates under the premise that the New Testament does not necessarily give an accurate historical picture of the life of Jesus. The biblical description of Jesus is sometimes referred to as the Christ of Faith in this context. The Historical Jesus is thus based on the ancient evidence for his life such as fragments of the Gospels. Therefore the historical Jesus is constantly evolving as new evidence is being uncovered. The purpose of research into the Historical Jesus is to examine the evidence from diverse sources and critically bring it together in order to create a composite picture of Jesus

Yes, I'm well aware of all that. Personally, I consider it to be a bit like examining the evidence for the historical Jiminy Cricket from diverse sources and critically bringing it together in order to create a composit picture of the cricket who inspired Jiminy.

But everybody's gotta be doing something, I guess.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yes, I'm well aware of all that. Personally, I consider it to be a bit like examining the evidence for the historical Jiminy Cricket from diverse sources and critically bringing it together in order to create a composit picture of the cricket who inspired Jiminy.

But everybody's gotta be doing something, I guess.
Do you have the same objection to exploring the historical basis for King Arthur?

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm pretty much aware of middle-of-the-road scholarship on the historical Jesus.

I'm interested in your own view.

Im about 55% for and 45% against

Theres two sides to the story, I started off not believing until I did enough work to figure out there was more to it then I thought

I searched every avenue for and against, more against then for. Price has a strong case but it is a minority view. So are the others

AmbiguousGuy

Do you have the same objection to exploring the historical basis for King Arthur?

As I say, everybody's got to be doing something.

But if an entire culture seemed to me to be entrapped by a belief in Arthur as Cosmic Savior -- so much so that the society around me sometimes seemed essentially insane -- then I might try to discourage people from taking Arthur too seriously.

It could be an actual Mission from God to do so. We must prepare a better world for our grandchildren, after all.

outhouse

Atheistically
well wht im saying _ notariqon_ hint hint, look deeper the answer is there- and it will blow the roof off this topic- and really get to the root of this psuedo-historical Jesus of Nazareth

Nazareth is a cipher nothing more of a term Nasirutha,
My name is embarkon

again

what your saying is nothing new and that avenue has been explored

I myself studied the historicity of Nazereth and ran into those linguistics

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
As I say, everybody's got to be doing something.

But if an entire culture seemed to me to be entrapped by a belief in Arthur as Cosmic Savior -- so much so that the society around me sometimes seemed essentially insane -- then I might try to discourage people from taking Arthur too seriously.
Wouldn't being able to point to history as a counterargument to myth be beneficial in that effort?

AmbiguousGuy

Im about 55% for and 45% against

I really have no idea what that means. Are you saying that you're 55% sure that a man named Jesus really existed? I'm 99.999% sure of that. In Jerusalem? 99.998%. During the year 30AD? 91.299%. Resurrected from the dead? .0000001%.

Theres two sides to the story, I started off not believing until I did enough work to figure out there was more to it then I thought

That's interesting. I started off assuming that the historical Jesus must have existed. Only after I examined the question much more closely did I conclude that the gospels are almost surely fiction.

I searched every avenue for and against, more against then for. Price has a strong case but it is a minority view. So are the others.

Most of my study was done so long ago that I hardly remember any names now, much less their positions. I did conclude that it was not worth more of my attention -- although I'm willing to learn more through the process of debate.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
did not much of the hellenistic period do just that????
Not really. If we look at many of the ancient heros, one can find a historical backing for a number of these. Now, at the same time, there are various gods and the like who were also created, but there is a distinct difference between a god and a superhero/hero.

I don't doubt that people are drawn to heros. What I'm doubting is that this passion to have a hero forces people to create one, instead of looking to the various figures who are historical that can also serve as their hero.

AmbiguousGuy

I don't doubt that people are drawn to heros. What I'm doubting is that this passion to have a hero forces people to create one, instead of looking to the various figures who are historical that can also serve as their hero.

Then you seem to be arguing against a position which no one here holds.

I haven't seen anyone who would absolutely reject the notion that some guy, at some time, in some place, might have "inspired" the Jesus Story.

So you're arguing against something which no one believes.

Of course there could have been some physical person in the mind of the first gospel writer to put pen to paper. Maybe he was thinking about Samson. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.