• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Kangaroo Court" Debate Style

PureX

Veteran Member
You often take unreasonable positions. Debating with you is like peeling an onion of irrationality: try to address one absolutely wild opinion and we discover that it was covering a whole stack of even wilder opinions.
That's becase you have no understanding at all of my experience or understanding of existence, and you are not trying to understand it, because you are trying to 'defeat' it. Why? The only thing being served by this 'battle' is your ego. You clearly aren't learning anything from me. And neither am I from you. So what's the point of this kind of phony debate?

And the reason it's a failure is because it's based on the blind presumption that only one view of reality and truth can be real or true, and all the others must be false. Yet this is clearly not how reality or truth presents itself to us.
I often feel like trying to get you to accept a rational position you don't already agree with would take a lifetime of work, and I just don't care enough about you, random person being wrong on the internet, to put that kind of effort in.
That's because you're trying to make me accept your definition and criteria for rational thought as the only criteria for rational thought. And I already have an alternative that I have found works better for me.
Because you're often so unreasonable, it's much easier for people debating you to take the second approach: convince the audience that a reasonable person would accept their argument... which generally has the implication that you're being unreasonable.
That's too bad for them, because that frustration they feel should be telling them to listen better. Not fight harder.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It only happens whenever one feels superior to their own interlocutor.
I have met people who claimed they were superior to me...
even if they had just a high school diploma and could barely speak in Italian. Only in dialect.

I have a law degree and can speak 5 languages yet I don't consider myself superior to anyone. ;)
It sounds like people have underestimated your talents BUT I am talking about debators who quote conspiracy theories, openly lie, quote incorrect facts, etc.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It sounds like people have underestimated your talents BUT I am talking about debators who quote conspiracy theories, openly lie, quote incorrect facts, etc.
That's exactly what this thread is all about. :)
About a kangaroo court that decides what the absolute truth is, so they decide what facts are correct and what facts are incorrect.

There are two kinds of debaters.
The debater A says: I decide what the truth is, because I am God and you guys are nothing. So whatever you said to me is a conspiracy theory, or worse, a big lie.

The debater B says: I don't possess the absolute truth: I just cast doubts, I just question the official truth. I may be wrong, but I want to engage in an equal debate to figure out whether I am right or wrong.

The difference is unfathomable.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
About a kangaroo court that decides what the absolute truth is, so they decide what facts are correct and what facts are incorrect.

The debater A says: I decide what the truth is, because I am God and you guys are nothing. So whatever you said to me is a conspiracy theory, or worse, a big lie.

The debater B says: I don't possess the absolute truth: I just cast doubts, I just question the official truth. I may be wrong, but I want to engage in an equal debate to figure out whether I am right or wrong.

Or there's me, who, when faced with such a debate, asks the other person "What is "truth" for the sake of this debate?". :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's becase you have no understanding at all of my experience or understanding of existence, and you are not trying to understand it, because you are trying to 'defeat' it. Why? The only thing being served by this 'battle' is your ego. You clearly aren't learning anything from me. And neither am I from you. So what's the point of this kind of phony debate?

This is the first time I've initiated anything with you in a long time. Most of our interactions lately have been where I'm in a conversation with soneone else, you try to derail the thread, and I try to get you to stop.

We have lots of people here who have... unique views. Generally, they aren't as jerkish about them as you are.
And the reason it's a failure is because it's based on the blind presumption that only one view of reality and truth can be real or true, and all the others must be false. Yet this is clearly not how reality or truth presents itself to us.

No, I'm perfectly happy to have my mind changed. I'm not going to change it for crap reasons, though, which is why you're so unsuccessful.

That's because you're trying to make me accept your definition and criteria for rational thought as the only criteria for rational thought. And I already have an alternative that I have found works better for me.

And it better work for everyone else too, right? Otherwise, you'll rant at them until you finally flip the table and leave.

That's too bad for them, because that frustration they feel should be telling them to listen better. Not fight harder.

I was talking about your frustration. About the feelings you must be feeling to shout "kangaroo court!" at those who see you as unreasonable. The feeling that motivates threads like this one.

Or was this thread just about making yourself the centre of attention again?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

And the reason for this thread is that @PureX is Debater A, but he thinks he's Debater B.

MikeF

Premium Member
If we had a way to know that we are wrong, we wouldn't have been wrong in the first place.

Yet, apparently we do realize we are wrong sometimes. Sure, up until that point we are ignorant of our wrongness. At some point though, error is recognized, or you and I wouldn't agree that everyone can be wrong at least sometimes about some things.

We apply our ideas (theories) of reality and truth to our immediate experience of being, and our theories either function as real and true, or they don't, within those immediate circumstances. And that's how we decide if those ideas are "right" or "wrong". But even in that moment, we are back at square one, and not knowing that our "new" ideas of reality and truth are real and true beyond that moment. And so we continue the process of applying our theories, and seeing what results. Always playing "catch-up" and never getting ahead of the moment. Never really knowing what s 'real and true'.

This seems to be a strategy. Trial and error.

This is the humans condition. Our experience of existence is limited and relative, and so we never get to know what is real and true beyond our immediate circumstances. Which are limited and relative. So this fantasy that there is an objectively real and true form of knowledge that we can somehow ascertain via logic and experiment is simply false. All we are ever going to get are more limited and relative theories about what is real and true, that we can never actually know to be real or true beyond the limits of our immediate circumstances. Every scientist understands this. The scientism crowd clearly does not understand this, and wants to fight to keep from acknowledging it.

Yes indeed. Our perspective is limited and we do not get to observe the whole shebang all at once.

Yet, what our experience shows us is that our incremental improvements in understanding actually increases our perspective (relative to where we have been) and actually decreases limitation experienced in our earlier states of ignorance.

It is this delusion that we can obtain objective knowledge of what is real and true that fuels the current obsession with the "kangaroo court" method of "debate" (which isn't about debate at all).

It seems you deny there is a capacity to have some objective knowledge of reality and the ability to conclude some things not possible. Not sure if you are going to sway many to that view.

This presumes that the truth is not "conflicting", or paradoxical. When in fact the closer to the truth we humans get, the more paradoxical it appears to us (because it s holistic beyond the capacity of our binary mental processes). So instead of avoiding paradoxical "conflict", we perhaps ought to be pursuing and embracing it.

Doesn't this position in some way suggest that you know what the full truth is such that you can make such an assessment? How do you know that "it's holistic beyond the capacity of our binary mental processes" if we do not know all there is to know about reality yet?

I see no logical reason why we would need them to be 'reconciled'. The 'truth' of the A side of a coin and the truth of the B side of that coin are not reconcilable. If you can only see the A side, and I can only see the B side, then we need to share our experience and understanding of the coin with each other to gain any comprehension of the real truth of it. We don't need one view to "defeat" the other and declare itself the only or 'real' truth. Because it's not.

Logic has some fundamental limitations in it's utility. It is highly dependent on factual information to "logic" upon.

Not sure why one person can only see "side A" and another only see "side B" or that both cannot realize they are looking at a coin with sides by definition. Beyond that, we have billions upon billions of observers over time, so it is never just two folks looking.

There is no mitigating our fallibille individual subjective perspective. It's all we have. We can share the information we have, but that information s still going to be derived from a collection of fallible individual subjective perspectives. That concept is a fantasy that we humans too often prefer over the scary reality of our never knowing what is real or true beyond the immediate limitations and circumstances of our experience of being.

Strongly disagree that we can't mitigate human fallibility. Not going to argue with you about it though.

PureX

Veteran Member

I think there is a third alternative that says we're all right and wrong simultaneously because reality and truth are, to us, always going to be limited and relative. So fighting about it is pointless. All we can do, really, is share what we think we know at any given time and adopt from others whatever seems useful to us, for now.

But a lot of us just don't want to face this option because it takes away their delusions of control through knowledge. We DO have some control through knowledge, but not that much, and it's fleeting. And a lot of us just can't accept the fear that this realization causes.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think there is a third alternative that says we're all right and wrong simultaneously because reality and truth are, to us, always going to be limited and relative. So fighting about it is pointless. All we can do, really, is share what we think we know at any given time and adopt from others whatever seems useful to us, for now.

But a lot of us just don't want to face this option because it takes away their delusions of control through knowledge. We DO have some control through knowledge, but not that much, and it's fleeting. And a lot of us just can't accept the fear that this realization causes.
Excellent analysis.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If there are such things as facts, who or what then, would arbitrate and decide what they are?
There is a historical truth.
But since we are not omniscient and omnipresent, I think that God only knows it.
So we can discuss about events, and if they are ascertained with evidence, ok, they are facts.
But if there is zero evidence, they are theories.

PureX

Veteran Member
Yet, apparently we do realize we are wrong sometimes. Sure, up until that point we are ignorant of our wrongness. At some point though, error is recognized, or you and I wouldn't agree that everyone can be wrong at least sometimes about some things.
Seeing our past theory as having been wrong, in hindsight, does not make our present theory right by default. But a lot of us choose to believe this, anyway. Even though, logically, every time it happens, we should be assuming that it is happening, still.
This seems to be a strategy. Trial and error.
One that can never "catch up". It's always seeking truth in hindsight. But the truth doesn't live in hindsight.
Yes indeed. Our perspective is limited and we do not get to observe the whole shebang all at once.
The problem is that we don't know how much we don't know. So we can't know how much it would fundamentally change what we think we do know, if we knew it. We just pretend that what we think we know is mostly right. But in fact we have no way whatever of justifying that presumption. Even when we apply our theory and it functions in the moment and under the circumstances, that doesn't mean it's right. It just means it worked for us, that time, when applied.

A lot of people are fighting this realization. They want their gods or their scientism to overcome this scary dilemma of our perpetual unknowing for them. And so they want to fight with anyone that dares to contradict that desire.

I dare to contradict that desire. It's my gift to you all.
Yet, what our experience shows us is that our incremental improvements in understanding actually increases our perspective (relative to where we have been) and actually decreases limitation experienced in our earlier states of ignorance.
All it shows us is that our theories sometimes work according to our desires, under certain circumstances. But we are stupid and selfish humans, so even that little bit of self-service is enough for us to pretend we got reality and truth, licked. Under control.
It seems you deny there is a capacity to have some objective knowledge of reality and the ability to conclude some things not possible. Not sure if you are going to sway many to that view.
"Objectivity" is an illusion. A false conceptual idol. It's very similar to what the "inerrant Bible" is to some fundi-theists. They both can be useful and insightful, but neither is the Holy Grail that people want to make them out to be.
Doesn't this position in some way suggest that you know what the full truth is such that you can make such an assessment?
Interestingly, we can know that we don't know without knowing what we don't know. So your attempt, here, at the "nut-huh, YOU did!" argument doesn't work. :)
How do you know that "it's holistic beyond the capacity of our binary mental processes" if we do not know all there is to know about reality yet?
Because if it wasn't, we'd know that it wasn't. We don't, so it is.
Logic has some fundamental limitations in it's utility. It is highly dependent on factual information to "logic" upon.
"Facts" are just bits of information that appear true relative to other bits of information that appear true. But their truthfulness fails all the time depending on what other facts we relate them to. So it would be a mistake in logic to assume that facts equate to reality or truth. And therefor, that so does the logic applied to them.
Not sure why one person can only see "side A" and another only see "side B" or that both cannot realize they are looking at a coin with sides by definition.
Happens all the time. Haven't you been paying attention to OUR conversations? :)
Beyond that, we have billions upon billions of observers over time, so it is never just two folks looking.
And every single one of them limited, flawed, and trapped by their circumstances. Even if we could see the world through every one of their minds eyes, at once, we still would be stuck in the same human condition that we're stuck in, now.
Strongly disagree that we can't mitigate human fallibility.
I know. But you'll thank me someday for telling you that we can't. Well, we can "mitigate", a little bit, maybe. But certainly not overcome.

Last edited:

MikeF

Premium Member
There is a historical truth.

Historical truth as in one category of human inquiry that has facts related to it, or that there are only historical facts and no other?

But since we are not omniscient and omnipresent, I think that God only knows it.

No, we are certainly not omniscient nor omnipresent.

So we can discuss about events, and if they are ascertained with evidence, ok, they are facts.

Facts are evidence, or facts require evidence? Both perhaps?

How are facts certified as true and not mere opinion or made up out of whole cloth?

But if there is zero evidence, they are theories.

I am going to strongly disagree here. If there is zero evidence then it is a complete creation of one's imagination. It is an invention of the mind.

Theories would be explanations regarding some set of established facts, an explanation that has yet to be contradicted by facts that erode it's explanatory power. Even a hypothesis, to be considered as such, has to be grounded within some previously established understanding.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it's time that someone called this debate 'style' to the forefront and exposed it for what it is. Not just because it's an absurdly unfair and unproductive debate methodology, but because it's a symptom of a much deeper and broader intellectual failure.

But let's start with what it is.

I ask you for, or otherwise catch you making a statement about reality/truth that you have chosen to accept as real and true for yourself, via your experience and understanding of life.

I then proclaim that since you are positing this "truth claim" for us to witness, that you are then responsible for convincing us/me of it's truthfulness. (Even though I have no intention of ever accepting it as being true, and I have every intention of opposing your effort to do so by any means I can muster, because I have already decided that your truth claim is false.)
It seems that you're unhappy that others expect you to support your claims.

You also seem to think that if you can't convince others, that it's because they're obstinate and closed-minded rather than that you can't support those claims yet call them truth anyway.

And you frame all of this as a kangaroo court. This is the marketplace of ideas, and yes, your claims will be judged by competent critical thinkers. You call those standards "absurdly unfair" and unproductive, but discussion about disagreements can't be productive unless both parties engage in dialectic: "Dialectic, also known as the dialectical method, refers originally to dialogue between people holding different points of view about a subject but wishing to arrive at the truth through reasoned argumentation."

Those are the academic standards for resolving differences of opinion in factual claims. That's how scientific peer review works. That's how legal disputes are settled. Not everybody is familiar with that culture or understands why it is the gold standard for resolving such differences.

Isn't that what you object to here - being judged by that standard and being unable to convince others if you don't meet it? Isn't that why you accuse such debates of scientism, or the excessive reliance on reason applied to evidence to determine what is true about the world, as if that were possible?

You want your ideas to be believed and respected by critical thinkers, but for that to happen, you need to support them according to the standards of critical thinking. If you can't or don't, that's not people refusing to be convinced. It's you failing to convince them.

Sorry that you see that as unjust and a kangaroo court, but isn't that also how Trump describes the reaction he's getting from the legal system? They're all being unfair to him, and the courts, judges, and prosecutors have decided in advance to reject his defenses. He also wants others to accept his claims as truth without sufficiently supporting them, and he's also being told no.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Historical truth as in one category of human inquiry that has facts related to it, or that there are only historical facts and no other?

No, we are certainly not omniscient nor omnipresent.

Facts are evidence, or facts require evidence? Both perhaps?

How are facts certified as true and not mere opinion or made up out of whole cloth?

I am going to strongly disagree here. If there is zero evidence then it is a complete creation of one's imagination. It is an invention of the mind.

Theories would be explanations regarding some set of established facts, an explanation that has yet to be contradicted by facts that erode it's explanatory power. Even a hypothesis, to be considered as such, has to be grounded within some previously established understanding.
Do you believe judicial truth and historical truth are the same thing?
Yet judicial truth relies on evidence.

Altfish

Veteran Member

So if I say "The World is flat" or "Evolution is a lie", I deserve the same respect as the scientist that studies these topics?

MikeF

Premium Member
Do you believe judicial truth and historical truth are the same thing?
Yet judicial truth relies on evidence.

Forgive me, but I'm not following your point as regards our exchange to this point.

There are facts and truths related to all aspects of reality, including activities related to human beings. I would not say that there is such a thing a judicial truth, truth or fact are just that, regardless of the venue in which they are discussed. Assigning a verdict of guilt or innocence is a subjective opinion regarding the sufficiency of the evidence presented within the rules of procedure with which to make such a decision. The verdict may or may not correspond with factual guilt or innocence. The evidence considered may be insufficient, purposefully incomplete, erroneous, or presented in a convincingly biased manner to sway the jury or judge to a verdict that does not match factual guilt or innocence.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So if I say "The World is flat" or "Evolution is a lie", I deserve the same respect as the scientist that studies these topics?
Respect is something you have towards any person who is nice to you.
Politeness requires it.

Of course you can tell to a flat-earther: I would like to listen to you. I would like to understand what made you become a staunch believer in the Flat-Earth theory, and I would explain to them why it's really unscientific and unsubstantiated.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Forgive me, but I'm not following your point as regards our exchange to this point.

There are facts and truths related to all aspects of reality, including activities related to human beings. I would not say that there is such a thing a judicial truth, truth or fact are just that, regardless of the venue in which they are discussed. Assigning a verdict of guilt or innocence is a subjective opinion regarding the sufficiency of the evidence presented within the rules of procedure with which to make such a decision. The verdict may or may not correspond with factual guilt or innocence. The evidence considered may be insufficient, purposefully incomplete, erroneous, or presented in a convincingly biased manner to sway the jury or judge to a verdict that does not match factual guilt or innocence.
So you are basically saying that the judicial truth is not the same thing as historical truth. Right?