• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
@Geoff-Allen , if you've posted this I forgot. But in any event I love real life examples of not judging and kindness like this one.

NPR: A man asking for change gave a woman a rare glimmer at a dark period of her life

"My Unsung Hero" tells the stories of people whose kindness left a lasting impression on someone else. And today's story comes from Laura Eshelman. In 2012, Eshelman was in the middle of a mental health spiral. The love of her life had just dumped her and she was struggling with an eating disorder. To top it all off, she was having trouble finding work. One day, after being rejected for yet another job, she encountered an unexpected unsung hero.
Thanks for sharing!

I don't recall posting that example - we need more "News" of people helping out as opposed to what ordinarily makes the news.

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Why does kindness make us happier and protect our mental health? There are a few reasons.

One, is that deep in the human psyche is the sense that helping others is the right thing to do. For some, it’s spiritual. Kindness aligns us with a deep sense of spiritual purpose.

Secondly, helping others simply feels satisfying. For many, no explanation is necessary. It’s just the way it is. Kindness feels right and it feels good. The end!

In science, there’s also the fact that we have ‘kindness genes’. The main gene associated with kindness is actually one of the oldest in the human genome, at around 500 million years old. This means it has played a role in our survival over eons. As a result, we are drawn to help others and we get an intuitive sense that kindness matters.

Also some books at that site!

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
In 2020, we found that 63% of UK adults agree that when other people are kind it has a positive impact on their mental health, and the same proportion agree that being kind to others has a positive impact on their mental health.

Kindness is defined by doing something towards yourself and others, motivated by genuine desire to make a positive difference. We know from the research that kindness and our mental health are deeply connected. The research shows that kindness is an antidote to isolation and creates a sense of belonging. It helps reduce stress, brings a fresh perspective and deepens friendships. Kindness to ourselves can prevent shame from corroding our sense of identity and help boost our self-esteem. Kindness can even improve feelings of confidence and optimism.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The vow of kindness is based on an intention to practice greater kindness, both to yourself and others. ‘Kindness to self and to others is a vital key to enjoy greater love and happiness’. But when we ask ourselves to score how kind we are – based on a scale of very, quite, not very and not at all – most of us say, ‘quite’ kind to others and not very kind to ourselves. Most of us are unconscious of how we treat ourselves, how unkind we are to ourselves.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Small acts of online kindness, seemingly insignificant at first glance, harbor the potential to usher in a transformative wave across the digital landscape. They encompass a vast spectrum of gestures, ranging from the simple yet impactful offering of words filled with encouragement and unwavering support to the courageous act of standing up against hate speech whenever it rears its ugly head.

Participating in these positive interactions is like having a beacon of light in the face of the all-too-common shadows of negativity that frequently cloud the atmosphere of social media platforms. It is essential to realize that the scale of these acts need not be complex or excessive; even a brief message filled with empathy and a sense of solidarity possesses the capacity to create ripples of positivity that resonate deeply within the hearts of those who receive them. Such a modest gesture can hold the power to brighten someone’s day, lifting their spirits, and reaffirming their faith in the kindness that dwells within humanity, even in the sometimes harsh digital landscape.

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Young Changemakers in Action: CMF’s Inspiring Story

It was a beautiful day in the bustling city of Chittagong when I stumbled upon a group of teenagers engaged in a community service project. I was intrigued by their enthusiasm and dedication to making a difference in their community. Upon inquiry, I learned that they were part of a social organization known as ChangeMakers Foundation (CMF), run entirely by teenagers!

As I got to know more about CMF, I realized that this group of teenagers was not your typical bunch. They were young people who were passionate about creating positive change in their communities and had decided to take matters into their own hands. Through various initiatives and programs, they were engaging over 1,000 young people in social activities aimed at making a difference.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
When was the last time you helped somebody? Was it a big gesture or perhaps something small that brightened somebody’s day? How did it make you feel?

Altruistic behaviour and acts of kindness can be an efficient way of improving your sense of well-being. I’m sure you’ve been in situations where you were exposed to or contributed to an act of kindness. Such things as smiling and greeting people in a friendly manner or sincerely complimenting someone about their smile, their positive outlook, their caring attitude, or something they do or have done well. It can be giving your total attention to people when they are talking, offering support to someone who has a problem. Acts of kindness can also be opening a door, saying please, thank you, excuse me, and other common courtesies. It can also be not doing something. For example, refraining from such things as gossiping, finding fault, or making negative judgements.

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A collection of helpful websites -

Includes fighting hunger & poverty and homelessness and unemployment and disability.

Yet to fully explore ...

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Raquel Jaramillo Palacio was born on July 13, 1963, in New York, New York. Her parents were immigrants from Colombia. Palacio went to school in Manhattan, New York, first at the High School of Art and Design and then at Parsons School of Design. During her junior year at Parsons, she studied at the American University of Paris in France.

Palacio began her career as an illustrator. She eventually became the art director for some book publishing companies. She worked on the cover art for many well-known authors, including Thomas Pynchon, Salman Rushdie, Louise Erdrich, and Sue Grafton. She also illustrated her own work, including the books Ride, Baby, Ride! (1998) and Last Summer (2004). Children’s books she illustrated for others include Andrew Clements’s The Handiest Things in the World (2010). Palacio used the name Raquel Jaramillo for most of her early work.

In 2012 Palacio published Wonder, a novel for young people. Wonder tells the story of a boy, Auggie, who has a severe facial deformity. Although he had been homeschooled, he begins fifth grade in a regular school. There he has to adjust to the reactions of the other students and of the community to his physical differences. The book teaches acceptance, empathy, and compassion. The movie Wonder, starring Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson, was released in 2017.

Palacio wrote several companion books to Wonder. The book 365 Days of Wonder (2014) collects sayings about kindness and goodness. Auggie &Me (2015) contains three short stories about Auggie from the perspectives of two of his friends and the class bully. We’re All Wonders (2017) is a picture book that tells Auggie’s story for younger children.

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The joy of giving!

This time of year, it can be easy to caught up in the material aspects of the holiday season. Sure, it's fun to find all of the best Christmas gifts for your friends and family and spend time shopping for show-stopping Christmas decorations, but don't forget the true meaning of the season. Take time out of your busy schedule to find ways to give this year. This roundup of gratitude quotes focus on the joy of giving in the hopes that they'll make your decision to do good that much easier. After all, as Anne Frank wrote, "No one has ever become poor by giving"—so there's no reason why you shouldn't start as soon as possible. Giving Tuesday is a great time to think about generosity and give when you can. This year, it falls on November 29. Of course, any day is a great day to give!

From Mother Teresa's inspiring quote about giving "until it hurts" to Albert Camus' thoughts on "real generosity" and the act of "giving all to the present," there's something here for just about everyone. Parents looking to inspire their children to give back will appreciate Brian Tracy's unforgettable words—"Always give without remembering and always receive without forgetting"—while those looking to inspire themselves will be moved by legendary quotes by world leaders such as Winston Churchill: "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." Here's to the joy of giving, and a season that's as beautiful as it is meaningful.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Speak gently to yourself

When you are kind to yourself, it becomes easier to be kind to others. We are quick to criticise others when they make a mistake, but often omit to praise them when they are doing something right. Yet it only takes a minute to tell someone what you appreciate about them.

We often justify criticism of others by saying “it’s for their own good”. But the truth is usually that we are irritated inside and just need to vent our negative thoughts. This type of criticism seldom improves a person, but makes them defensive instead. The only time to offer feedback is when someone asks for it. And even then, be kind.

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
In this article we are going to look at what constitutes being kind to autistic people. And you might be confused – why would you be upset about someone talking about kindness? Good question. The answer is because what many people think of as being kind to autistic people actually is not kind. Some of the things done in the name of kindness to autistic people are actually harmful. Strap yourselves in folks. Here we go.

To begin with, I am going to tell you some of the things that people have done to me, to my autistic family members, and to my autistic friends and colleagues all in the name of kindness. This is a tiny snapshot of the things we have experienced – it does not begin to go into our experiences in any kind of depth. We just do not have the time, so here are some ‘highlights’ as it were:

All the best!