• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I’m not good at asking for help or reaching out for support. I will very happily offer it to others but seeking it doesn’t come naturally to me at all. In my formative years, frequent moves to new towns and schools required a degree of self-reliance being the constant ‘stranger’ in a new environment. As an adult, understanding my personality better with the support of tools such as Facet5, I have come to appreciate this is also largely a style and preference for me. For those familiar with Facet5, I have a very high Will score with two subfactors - Independence and Determination – both at 10.

It means though, that my first instinct is to try and just figure everything out on my own – regardless of whether I know how to do it or not – and often will only seek help and support from others as a last resort.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A third element of Right Speech, after truthfulness and harmonious speech, is gentle speech, that is, avoiding all the many ways we could indulge in harsh speech. Harsh speech might be too loud, threatening, sarcastic, inappropriate in a particular setting, crude, swearing, belittling speech, or anything similar. We might think of it as bullying speech, intentionally or not.

Whatever the norm was in our growing up years will likely sound and feel natural to us, but it’s worth taking a step back and seeing if we can reframe what we consider normal talk. We could begin by noticing that there are different styles of talk practiced in different places and times. At a sporting event, we might shout at the players or the referee (even if this means yelling at the television); within military service settings there is a formalized way of address (and an informal way among peers); in some families, there is love in every sentence and every look; in public, a minimum level of civility smooths our way. Are we the same person in all the different places we find ourselves? Or do we adjust, consciously or unconsciously, to mimic those around us? Do we have “upper and lower boundaries” of what we allow ourselves to say?

For most of us, it is pleasant to speak with or listen to someone whose talk is similar to ours or a little better in terms of vocabulary, enunciation, and tone. We are strained by hearing voices that are inarticulate, heavily accented, or incoherent. Kindly speech is always more welcome than crude or rough speech.

Plenty more at that site!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
When it comes to striving to lead a bold life, one of the key pillars is giving back. Giving back is important because it helps us connect with others while making a positive difference in the world. Likewise, acts of generosity have a significant impact on others, often inciting notable changes in their lives as well. Through charity and other acts of kindness, we sow seeds of positivity and hope that are truly contagious. And in the process, we enrich our own lives for the better. In an effort to highlight these advantages, here are three stories of giving. Through them, you can appreciate the far-reaching benefits that giving back offers.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Simply? - acts of generosity -

Sometimes, truth be told, the world can be a little unkind and even unfair. Walk around in any major city in the United States, for example, and you’ll see hundreds of homeless people living on the street. Every day they’re there, living desperate and degrading lives while hanging onto their meagre possessions. And all the while, people who have money, and food, and a home to live in, pass them by without giving them even a glance. There’s no consideration for any acts of generosity.

It’s not just the homeless either who are in desperate straits. Millions of families across the country, and the world, are barely scraping by. Restaurant workers, Uber drivers, gas station attendants, cashiers and so many more, scores of whom have families to feed, are living pay-check-to-pay-check. Immigrants who barely speak English, senior citizens living alone, men and women suffering from deadly or life-threatening diseases.

If you think about it long enough, it’s a situation that might just make you want to cry. But then, as if out of the blue, someone comes along with acts of generosity and kindness that restore your faith in humanity.

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
As parents, our words are not relatable to a child without attaching an action. To teach our children to be kind to themselves and others, we must first show them what kindness means.

Also - set example kindness? -

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness activities for kids

Several to choose from ...

Raise funds for the needy

Let your children pick the cause they wish to support and raise funds for it. Assist them in the activities, but let them do the majority of the work. Help them design pamphlets, print them out, distribute them among neighbors and friends, and sell their goods (cakes, lemonade, cleaning services, crafts, etc.).

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Having compassion for others and treating those around us with kindness doesn’t have to be taught. It’s often learned through model behavior and comes naturally to many kids. But there are many activities for kids that further encourage a ‘kindness mindset’. In bringing awareness to situations that require compassion and empathy, children will begin to view others with a more understanding lens. These activities and acts of kindness will help children interact and engage with the world around them in a compassionate and empathetic way:

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Building kind citizens may not be in our schools’ curriculum, but it is an important goal of both educators and parents. Studies show that kind people are not only happier, they are healthier.

Kindness is like a muscle. For some it may be naturally stronger, but every person can build that muscle with practice. And practicing kindness can be simple if we build it into our routine. Here are twelve ideas to get your routine started:

Be kind to each other each and every day. Say hello, good morning, and goodbye with a handshake, high five, or hug. This may mean reminding yourself to take a break from preparing so you can greet kids and their parents as they arrive to school. Take this a step further and ask them a question about their day and listen actively.

Demonstrate kindness in your words and actions. When speaking to and in front of children, use a kind tone. If you need to discuss a problem with a child, pull him or her aside to have a private conversation. Allow the child acting out to hear and discuss how his or her behavior affects you and others. Never call people bad, a bully, or by other names.

Build community. Give children opportunities to get to know each other and learn to work together. One fun way to do this is to regularly provide opportunities to answer check-in questions or participating in icebreakers and/or cooperative games. Here are seven fun games:

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness visit the elderly -

Opportunities for meaningful intergenerational friendships have diminished substantially in recent decades. Families are moving more frequently and farther from one another. Communities specialize their services for Older Adults versus young adults versus families with young kids, keeping us in our silos.

Whatever our age, we all gain a great deal from a diversity of friendships, including those across the generations. They broaden our perspectives, give us hope and encouragement, and brighten our days. In fact, when giving the gift of friendship, it’s impossible to tell who the giver and the receiver truly is.

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Teach kindness by example

Today, judging others seems to be an activity practiced by far too many people.1

It’s all too easy to post comments about other people, whether they’re celebrities or ordinary, everyday citizens. Unkindness isn't new; humans have been cruel to each other for thousands of years.2 But today the ease, speed, and anonymity with which people can pass judgments and criticism onto others is unprecedented. Kids who are at the forefront of tech and social networking are learning from what they see around them.3

Children also tend not to be able to see the bigger picture. Because young children usually focus on what's right in front of them and tend to not think too far ahead, they may not realize the full effects of what behaviors like meanness, exclusion, or bullying can have on other kids. And kids are naturally self-centered, which means that they aren’t always able to put themselves in someone else’s shoes or make a conscious effort to think about how someone else might feel.4 That does not mean, however, that kids are naturally unkind.

Loads at that site!

All the best

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Prevent bullying - a bunch of articles-

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
10 Ways for Kids to Be Kind to Animals

1. Read a Book about Being Kind to Animals

Any great lesson begins with a book, so I love to start the conversation on kindness to animals by reading with my kids. Some of my favorites include Tails are Not for Pulling by Elizabeth Verdick, May I Pet Your Dog? by Stephanie Calmenson, and Buddy Unchained by Daisy Vix.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I have worked in a large suburban school district outside of Atlanta for the past 24 years and also consult with private and public schools throughout the country. I have co-authored a cyberbullying book and curriculum. I have trained schools in research-based bullying prevention programs and best practices, trained peer helpers, peer mediators, and Sources of Strength Peer Leaders, trained in Second Step Violence Prevention, Life Skills Training, and a variety of other programs and practices designed to reduce aggression and teach social-emotional skills to youth. Each of these programs and strategies, when offered with commitment and fidelity, can have something to offer to schools and communities. Thus I am not a fan of “one-size fits all” for bullying prevention and school climate initiatives. I believe each school needs to find the strategies that work best for their community and also consider layering and integrating strategies that complement one another, as was discussed at the Integrating School Climate and Reform Symposium held in July of 2015.

All the best

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Our first book for teens (Words Wound: Delete Cyberbullying and Make Kindness Go Viral) came out a few weeks ago, and we’re really excited about its potential impact among students who have dealt with online harassment and want to do something meaningful about it (check it out if you haven’t already!). That said, our publisher (Free Spirit Press) recently asked us to write a blog related to our work to encourage and equip educators with some ideas to kick-start 2014 with school back in session! We thought we would share it with our readers below, and so let us know your thoughts….

The beginning of a new year is a good time to reflect on the previous year while setting goals for the future. Most New Year’s resolutions focus on self-improvement goals (such as dieting, exercising, or learning a new skill). But why not also resolve to work toward an other-focused goal—and do your part to contribute to a better, kinder world? Lots of people share, tweet, and otherwise circulate “feel good” stories on social media about how others demonstrate compassion. The people who circulate them are personally moved. However, have you ever been moved to the point of paying it forward yourself, or—even better—helping to create a legacy of kindness? Your position as a parent or educator offers you the ability to influence legions of kind kids through modeling and intentional instruction.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Leave a note for someone to find

Now more than ever we all need to know that we are not alone. It’s the little things that matter. And a little act of generosity can go a long way. So why not leave a cute little note for someone else to find and make their day.

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Book summary Ricard altruism - a couple? -

When you envision a perfect world, is it filled with altruistic, caring people, working to make life better for everyone? Or do you envision a world where each person is out for himself, fighting to get to the top alone?

This book summary, inspired by Tibetan Buddhist teachings, show that a world based on altruism would certainly be a better place to live for everyone. Yet how do we achieve this? What exactly can we do to make ourselves and our society a better place?

You’ll be surprised to learn that a few simple daily steps, such as meditating and practicing empathy, can help society make large strides toward a new world that is happier and even more successful.

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We exist in interbeing with all of life. When we understand this fundamental truth, our acts of giving will be made in the spirit of nondiscrimination. The merit, the spiritual benefit to be gained from the practice of giving cannot be calculated. Helping to create a meditation hall is an offering for everyone, for the continuation of the Dharma. The practice of dana brings a lot of happiness when we know how to do it in the spirit of wisdom, with the understanding of interbeing.

We don’t have to give $100,000 or even $10; instead we can offer a smile or a loving, compassionate gaze. We can give the gift of our calm, concentrated presence to help someone who is fearful or anxious. We can make an offering of our time and energy and work with the homeless, or with those who are prisoners or are addicted to different substances, or to work on helping the environment. We have plenty of gifts to offer; we are far wealthier than we may imagine. We can help secure the happiness of many people even if we don’t have a single penny in our pocket. When we are motivated by the desire to give, even if we have not yet offered anything yet, just the intention to offer our help and understanding, our willingness to listen and communicate, begins to lessen our own and others’ suffering.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Buddhism is often associated with meditation, pacifism, and deep Zen quotes. But one aspect of Buddhism that is often overlooked, especially in the West, is the concept of generosity. In fact, despite the popular stereotypes of Buddhism being all about peace and mindfulness, generosity is actually a very crucial part of Buddhism.

The Buddha describes the three central practices of Buddhism as Dana, Sila and Bhavana, or generosity, morality, and meditation. In addition, the development of the Ten Parami (Six Paramita in Mahayana Buddhism), or perfections, is considered crucial for the eventual attainment of Nirvana, generosity being one of them.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Smile at strangers

When was the last time you saw someone frowning at you and thought, “Wow-I really want to approach that person”? It just doesn’t happen.

Our facial expressions are a peek into the type of person we are and how we are feeling. This is why smiling is so powerful.

Now I am not suggesting that you should smile at the guy who is staring at you in the club and giving you the heebie-jeebies. I’m talking about smiling at strangers when you’re at the office or when you’re out shopping.

Smiling at people you don’t know often makes people feel more comfortable and often results in them smiling, too.

Cheers!